Betfred Cup - fixtures announced ( updated )

CJGJ

Mr Elwood P
17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Would you be so kind as to clear your inbox?  

Thanks!

Let me know if you have.

Done.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo 4 Ever

• Mikey1874

• been here before

• Mr Elwood P

45 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We haven’t though have we. 

Even though we are massive odds on favourites to do it we have not managed to win all 4 group games. 

And your point is.

Why not concentrate on your team

8 hours ago, rick witter said:

We haven’t though have we. 

Even though we are massive odds on favourites to do it we have not managed to win all 4 group games. 

Sorry to piss on your chips but we have lost to drawn and struggled against lower league teams much more than you would hope in cup competitions long before Levein came along.

Edited by Jammy T

As previously stated, I'm with Rick on this one.  Really tough group.  I'll be amazed and delighted if we get through.

Rick is a treasure on this forum.

Hearts (-1) in every game, feck the doubters!

The only reason we didn’t beat Raith last season, after an admittedly horrendous performance, was a decision that would have easily made the injustices thread if it had ended up being important. Anyone who has a bet on 2-1 Hearts that day would have been spewing. 

Bring it on...

11 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Apart from last year when we won 3 games in 90 mins and 1 game on penalties.

The two Tynecastle games:

P2 W2 F10 A0

Definitely worried about Stenhousemuir coming to visit!

https://us.soccerway.com/teams/scotland/heart-of-midlothian-fc/1900/matches/

He’s correct though. The game that went too penalties was classed as a draw. The team that won the shootout got a bonus point.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

He’s correct though. The game that went too penalties was classed as a draw. The team that won the shootout got a bonus point.

Did any top league team win all their matches in the league sections last season? The key thing is to qualify as section winners imo. Winning all the matches is just a bonus. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Did any top league team win all their matches in the league sections last season? The key thing is to qualify as section winners imo. Winning all the matches is just a bonus. 

Nope, only Dunfermline and Ayr.

That wasn’t the point I was making though. 

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Indeed. 

Despite the humiliating trauma of not winning all our group matches, we still made it to the semi-final, losing to the eventual winners (and wealthiest club in Scotland).

We_are_the_Hearts

Can we start having a bit of ambition here. Can we imagine OF fans accepting not beating lower league opposition?  We need to stop accepting and making excuses for mediocrity or we will always be what we currently are, a mid table SPL team! We need more fans like Naismith than Djoum!!

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Indeed. 

Despite the humiliating trauma of not winning all our group matches, we still made it to the semi-final, losing to the eventual winners (and wealthiest club in Scotland).

Still embarrassed about it now. :(

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Still embarrassed about it now. :(

I haven't dared go to a Betfred Cup game since October 2018 because of my abject mortification.  

1 minute ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Can we start having a bit of ambition here. Can we imagine OF fans accepting not beating lower league opposition?  We need to stop accepting and making excuses for mediocrity or we will always be what we currently are, a mid table SPL team! We need more fans like Naismith than Djoum!!

The fans demanding something, does not bridge a gap of <£15m - c£59m. This idea that we just need to have higher expectations as supporters, and suddenly we will find the £44m required to level the playing field is just nonsensical. If we do ever start competing at the same level on the pitch as Celtic, with the difference in resources between us, then it will be nothing short of a miracle. As it stands, building our infrastructure up, as we are doing now, will hopefully get us closer, and then it's a case of having that once in a decade season that we manage, where we have a tilt at the big prize.

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I haven't dared go to a Betfred Cup game since October 2018 because of my abject mortification.  

I can't even walk past their high street shops. I don't want the staff to look at me and judge.

We_are_the_Hearts
10 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The fans demanding something, does not bridge a gap of <£15m - c£59m. This idea that we just need to have higher expectations as supporters, and suddenly we will find the £44m required to level the playing field is just nonsensical. If we do ever start competing at the same level on the pitch as Celtic, with the difference in resources between us, then it will be nothing short of a miracle. As it stands, building our infrastructure up, as we are doing now, will hopefully get us closer, and then it's a case of having that once in a decade season that we manage, where we have a tilt at the big prize.

So on your argument, we should be winning all our Betfred cup games due to resources. 

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

The website I linked had it as a win. Don’t think you can draw or lose a penalty shootout.

39 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

So on your argument, we should be winning all our Betfred cup games due to resources. 

I think it’s a very realistic goal, certainly. Although the difference in resources between ourselves and United is far smaller than that between Celtic and ourselves.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

31 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The website I linked had it as a win. Don’t think you can draw or lose a penalty shootout.

Any I've looked at has it as W 3 D 1 L 0. 

I'd count it as a win if we got all 3 points for winning the shootout.

Edited by iantjambo

davemclaren
Just now, Notts1874 said:

We are winning this thing next season....mark my words ?

Hope you are right. 

Mr Elwood P
20 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Any I've looked at has it as W 3 D 1 L 0. 

I'd count it as a win if we got all 3 points for winning the shootout.

A strange quirk of the BetFred Cup, for sure. My way of thinking is if you get 2 points and your opponent gets 1 it can’t be a loss or a draw. 

August Landmesser
14 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Source?

:whistling:

rick witter
1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Spot on 

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

A strange quirk of the BetFred Cup, for sure. My way of thinking is if you get 2 points and your opponent gets 1 it can’t be a loss or a draw. 

Aye, that's true.

The glass half empty guy inside me sees it as a point dropped and therefore not a win :lol:

Jambo 4 Ever
33 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

bold statement

August Landmesser
20 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Me.......what more do you need ?

Pics of Berra with trophy over heid on the Hampden pitch, incoming in....five months 

5 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Pics of Berra with trophy over heid on the Hampden pitch, incoming in....five months 

Berra won't play in the final ?

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Fairly sure it won't haunt me to my grave.

Obviously hope you are right

but I just don't think we are all that good just now

8 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

That's the spirit. Good job I couldn't give a shit how good or bad you think we are.

Shanks said no
10 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Just the sort of attitude we needed on the D day beaches 

on the German side

Fxxx the SPFL

it's a pity the blue brazil game is midweek will still finish early and get the Train and into wee Jimmy's for a few voddies and maybe a sing song like the championship season wonder what time the last train is.

Jambo 4 Ever
17 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

That's the spirit. Good job I couldn't give a shit how good or bad you think we are.

charming :gok:

been here before
28 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

We're not playing just now.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

It's a draw with a point for winning the penalty shoot out. 

We dont make the Betfred Cup group stage easy for ourselves do we!?

We need to make sure we get off to a good start and beat Dundee Utd at Tynecastle of the 12th of July. It will be a tough game though as I can imagine its one that Robbie Neilson will be absolutley desperate to win. Big Sow we will be the same.

Oh and lets try to make sure we dont field an ineligible player this year!

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

That’s a bit uncalled for.

6 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Sorry to piss on your chips but we have lost to drawn and struggled against lower league teams much more than you would hope in cup competitions long before Levein came along.

That makes it alright then.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a draw with a point for winning the penalty shoot out. 

Like a draw and then getting a trophy for winning a penalty shoot out then?

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nothing like it. In knock out games a penalty shoot out wins the game. 

Just a 'bonus point' in group. 

https://spfl.co.uk/league/league-cup/format

Group matches

Clubs are awarded the usual three points for a win but all drawn games in the group stage go straight to penalties - the shoot-out winners receive a bonus point. ie three points for a win, two points for a shoot-out win and one point for losing on penalties.

Hearts shootout winners 2 points.

Raith Rovers shoutout losers 1 point.

Not sure how that can be interpreted not as a Hearts win. For a match to be drawn you would need each team to have achieved the same points.

38 minutes ago, Gambo said:

That makes it alright then.

Makes what alright?

We just got to the semi of one cup and the final of another - what are you going on about??

Edited by Jammy T

27 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Group matches

Clubs are awarded the usual three points for a win but all drawn games in the group stage go straight to penalties - the shoot-out winners receive a bonus point. ie three points for a win, two points for a shoot-out win and one point for losing on penalties.

Hearts shootout winners 2 points.

Raith Rovers shoutout losers 1 point.

Not sure how that can be interpreted not as a Hearts win. For a match to be drawn you would need each team to have achieved the same points.

Hearts v Raith was a draw with Hearts getting a point for winning penalty shoot out. A win is 3 points. Hearts got 2..

Mr Elwood P
17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hearts v Raith was a draw with Hearts getting a point for winning penalty shoot out. A win is 3 points. Hearts got 2..

But a draw is the award of 1 point to each team so surely it isn’t a draw either? I reckon it was more a win than a draw. Maybe just a positive / negative mindset as the previous poster suggested.

Do you reckon the Dundee United game is first and on BT in case we **** up with an ineligible player again? :D

The 2 point deduction we got was just enough to keep the final game v Inverness on BT relevant rather than a dead rubber.

20 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

But a draw is the award of 1 point to each team so surely it isn’t a draw either? I reckon it was more a win than a draw. Maybe just a positive / negative mindset as the previous poster suggested.

Again, it depends on the circumstances. I’d argue that two points against a Raith team that lost their other 3 games was a point dropped as opposed to one gained.

You’re correct when you called it a weird little quirk of the cup.