Irony and sarcasm

Jambothump

Jambothump

Sarcasm to me is cruelly deriding someone's, objective, viewpoint or statement.

Irony, to me is offering an alternative, but varying from the original in such a way as can come across as insulting, (sarcastic)  to the original point made ?

Opinions? Or those with higher english, verifications ☺

That's just my definitions.

Edited by Jambothump
Clarity

Why not try looking up some actual definitions instead of just making up your own meaning for words?

sarcasm

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Jambothump
1 hour ago, Jambothump said:

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Why not try looking up some actual definitions instead of just making up your own meaning for words?

sarcasm

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Look, just put me on ignore, you have issues, I really could not care about you. You reported me a few years ago for a very minor slight, I take it your are sitting there in your underpants, with two drinking straws up your nostrils ?

I reported you years ago because you spammed my inbox with a series of abusive messages purely because I had posted a link to a previous thread on the topic you had started.

You asked for opinions in this thread. I gave you one.

Jambothump
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Good OP, mate...

No sure if that is irony or sarcasm? Ha ha, no caring, bestest. JT

Jambothump

I reported you years ago because you spammed my inbox with a series of abusive messages purely because I had posted a link to a previous thread on the topic you had started.

You asked for opinions in this thread. I gave you one.

Oh yeah, that really sounds like me, I'm renowned for not saying on line something I would say to someone's face. You must have been, as you do, been hiding behind the keyboard.

Edited by Jambothump
Comma in wrong place, straws in nostrils fine ?

No, I literally only posted a link to a previous thread on tinnitus and for some reason you lost the plot and started sending me abusive PMs. That is exactly how it happened. I'm not sure how posting a link constitutes "hiding behind a keyboard".

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Look, just put me on ignore, you have issues, I really could not care about you. You reported me a few years ago for a very minor slight, I take it your are sitting there in your underpants, with two drinking straws up your nostrils ?

Not wanting to get involved in your squabble and not taking any side on it either, just wanted to add that I found this very funny. I know neither of you care about that, just saying ?

Carry on ?

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not wanting to get involved in your squabble and not taking any side on it either, just wanted to add that I found this very funny. I know neither of you care about that, just saying ?

Carry on ?

My boss is less amused. Reckons it "isn't an appropriate look for the office". ?‍♂️

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Ray Gin said:

My boss is less amused. Reckons it "isn't an appropriate look for the office". ?‍♂️

:lol: Tell him/her to sook it up

colinmaroon
36 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Good OP, mate...

You "ironic" little so'n'so.

Jambothump

No, I literally only posted a link to a previous thread on tinnitus and for some reason you lost the plot and started sending me abusive PMs. That is exactly how it happened. I'm not sure how posting a link constitutes "hiding behind a keyboard".

Do you, or have you ever suffered deafness or tinnitus, I have from 7 years old,  IIRC, you decried the noises I heard, that transferred into music tunes at times, you thought you'd have go at me about that. You are not a knowledgeable or nice person.

I didn't have a go at you. I posted a link to a previous thread. I do suffer from tinnitus, which is why I remembered the thread.

Thread: 

As you can see, I only posted a link and you for some reason lost the plot because you were drunk. There was another abusive comment from you on there that the Mod deleted before you started on the PMs.

Edited by Ray Gin

Jambothump

Look take the straws out your nose (its not a good look). Put some clothes on, we wear trousers, jersey, shirt, socks and shoes, further available if need required.

Look outside, THE WORLD, freck, it's not on that wee screen ! 

Jambothump

A bigger man would see he was wrong and apologise. 

Ha ha, I was about say sorry, and you had severe learning difficulties, I was not aware of, so could not account for.

Anybody who knows me, and there are plenty (who, in real, life are you?), would know, you bring a bottle of wine up., means nothing

I am exasperated how futile this conversation is.

I'm sure you're a gem in real life. The sort of guy who mocks people with learning difficulties and makes light of mental health issues. A true gent.

Sarcasm? You decide.

I P Knightley

It seems that my answer to the original post would be off-topic as far as how the thread's developed.

Which, I think, is ironic.

Jambothump

I'm sure you're a gem in real life. The sort of guy who mocks people with learning difficulties and makes light of mental health issues. A true gent.

Sarcasm? You decide.

Sorry, I do apologise, unless you elaborate I cannot apologise for the difficulties you have, your history regarding me, suggested someone of below normal connective  awareness. 

Jambothump

Sarcasm? You decide.

You really are laughable, serious answer preceded this, jings,crivvens,help ma boab, we're done fir with clowns like this

2 hours ago, Jambothump said:

Sarcasm to me is cruelly deriding someone's, objective, viewpoint or statement.

Irony, to me is offering an alternative, but varying from the original in such a way as can come across as insulting, (sarcastic)  to the original point made ?

Opinions? Or those with higher english, verifications ☺

That's just my definitions.

Never! Is that right?

28 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Sarcasm?

Of course. 

Edited by ri Alban

7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It seems that my answer to the original post would be off-topic as far as how the thread's developed.

Which, I think, is ironic.

Oh do you?

Well aren’t you a clever boy?

That was sarcasm :D

27 minutes ago, BigCGilmour said:

Isn't irony like rain in your wedding day...

That was covered in another thread.  I'd normally post a link but....

26 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That was covered in another thread.  I'd normally post a link but....

:rofl:

Hasn't Nigel Farage got a German passport? Doesn't Nigel Farage have a  German passport?

Edited by ri Alban