Referee Ratings: The Cup Final

Bobby the B

Referee Rating: The Cup Final  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Referee: Willie Collum, The Cup Final 2019

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/05/19 at 22:59

Bobby the B

After we scored, I said to my brother "what's the odds he gives Ceptic a penalty at the first opportunity?"

£9M player kicks ball too hard, is falling over, leaves leg trailing, misses contact - PENALTY!

letsalllaughathobos

Gave Celtic everything, took 35 mins to give hearts a freekick, the penalty is a shocker considering there was officials behind the goals, 

Poor once again for us v Celtic, 

Just shows how corrupt the whole top end of Scottish football is 

Genuinely don't think he had a bad game. You can see how he was deceived with Eduards dive. I think he did his best to keep his cards in his pockets. 

I think its another example of why we need VAR, the angle where hes clearly already falling is a dead giveaway, and I'd like to think that on review that would be overturned. 

Given the magnitude of the game and the fact it robbed us, I'd hope a ban is coming his way. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Genuinely don't think he had a bad game. You can see how he was deceived with Eduards dive. I think he did his best to keep his cards in his pockets. 

I think its another example of why we need VAR, the angle where hes clearly already falling is a dead giveaway, and I'd like to think that on review that would be overturned. 

Given the magnitude of the game and the fact it robbed us, I'd hope a ban is coming his way. 

100 % agree with everything you say

12 minutes ago, OTT said:

This 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Will the Compliance Officer even review the incident?

I suspect not!

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I agree with you and thought he did OK on the whole. He gave a couple of iffy decisions against us but looked to have been swayed by the crowd and Celtic player appeals. 

I thought the main stand linesman was having a shocker in the first half but seemed to steady in the second. 

Byyy The Light

Penalty looked a stonewaller at the game so I can’t blame him for giving it. 

Thought overall he had a decent enough game. Still gave him a 5 cos he’s a rodent face weasel.

Captain Sausage

Having seen the replay behind the goal, that diving scumbag needs banned. 

Its a dive, end of discussion. Collum should be punished for effectively turning a cup final on its head with a wrong decision while Eduaord should be given a 2 match ban for it (how the **** does that even come close to a fair punishment for the gain they got for it?!)

Remain Nameless01

Thought it was a penalty at the time and this is why we need VAR to review the big decisions. He was his usual over officious self at times, but have seen him a lot worse.

doctor jambo

Pretty sure that if we had VAR , this afternoon we would be at a parade.

And in 2008 we could have done the double.

VAR in the league and we’d have finished 3rd or 4th.

I thought he did ok but I also thought that the penalty was a correct decision from section B7. In retrospect the penalty changed the game so he has to take some of the blame but I can still see why he gave it.

Spellczech

I gave 5 but only because I saw in real time that it was no penalty but one of those that a referee knows he can give with no comeback. Apart from the key decision it was a 7-8 performance.

Edited by Spellczech

He gets 1 for the simple reason that he made a wrong decision which changed the course of the game.

Bull's-eye

He had an easy game yet still managed to get in the way and the one and only important decision he had to make he got it wrong.

If there was  a zero, I'd have given that.

Holyrood_Hearts
3 hours ago, OTT said:

Completely agree.

He had an excellent game. While Eduard dived from Collum's position it was not an unreasonable decision.

It’s the haste in giving the penalty. 

How often down South do you see refs take that extra second or two to digest the moment before making a decision?

The officials are just shite here. Throw in other factors and it’s not a great recipe. 

You’ve got the shitebag linesmen aswell who only flag to give a decision against you but never offer the ref a second opinion to reverse one for you.  If VAR is about second opinions then that should be the linesman’s job too. 

I only saw around 50 minutes before my laptop froze but in that time I thought he was faultless.

I also think the Hearts player in close proximity at the penalty incident made it look worse.

I gave him a 6.

alwaysthereinspirit
33 minutes ago, H2 said:

He had an excellent game. While Eduard dived from Collum's position it was not an unreasonable decision.

Excellent game? You’re on the wind up. It doesn’t matter his positioning. It was a dive so again he either guessed or cheated. Because he certainly didn’t see a foul. I can take Hearts losing. Against any team. As long it’s above board. That was a national cup final he blew. AnyHearts fan who thinks that that ref was excellent is kidding himself and other Hearts fans.  We may have still lost yesterday if he’d called it correctly but he certainly gave his team hope with that call. 

Let them off with a few niggly fouls but didn't do the same for us. Penalty decision was wrong but I think most folk thought it was a pen at the time, we should 100% have VAR for cup semis & finals at least.

gowestjambo

Quote from the Sunday Times "Cometh the hour, cometh the penalty from Collum - a Referee who gives more than his fair share of them"

From Collum's position behind the play, there was no way he could have been sure a foul had been committed. It was impossible to see through the bodies. What he did was what he has always done - give a penalty to Celtic without hesitation against Hearts.

If he was not sure, he should not have awarded the penalty. That moment changed the game entirely, although Bobby hesitating certainly contributed to the howler.......

45 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Excellent game? You’re on the wind up. It doesn’t matter his positioning. It was a dive so again he either guessed or cheated. Because he certainly didn’t see a foul. I can take Hearts losing. Against any team. As long it’s above board. That was a national cup final he blew. AnyHearts fan who thinks that that ref was excellent is kidding himself and other Hearts fans.  We may have still lost yesterday if he’d called it correctly but he certainly gave his team hope with that call. 

He had an excellent game, can't really blame him for the penalty. I am not kidding myself and neither is any Hearts fan or other neutral supporters who agrees. I agree Eduard dived and cheated, but looking from behind it probably looks like a pen. That's life, sh** happens. The issue is for me that the SFA could take action against Eduard based on the obvious evidence, but they won't, Even though they have done Hearts players after matches for diving at penalties at less importnat games.

It looked like a penalty from where I was but surely the officials behind the goals should have communicated it was a dive.

At the end of the day I expected nothing less from a corrupt incompetent official .

2 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Correct

Elephantintheroom

There was zero chance he was going to be remembered as the referee when Smeltec lost the treble treble. Gave the penalty as quickly as he could.

A dive wasn’t picked up which was huge.

absolutely huge so he gets a 5 from me. 

Cheating is the tic way.  Deplorable club with a deplorable past.

7 hours ago, Bobby the B said:

After we scored, I said to my brother "what's the odds he gives Ceptic a penalty at the first opportunity?"

£9M player kicks ball too hard, is falling over, leaves leg trailing, misses contact - PENALTY!

I can see why he gave it.  This type of penalty is why we need VAR. 

Maple Leaf

I've just spent the last few minutes reading the match thread on a Celtic fans forum. Now I'm away for a wash.

But Collum was getting dog's abuse from the posters, who thought he was being far too lenient with Hearts. They thought he was having a bad game.  All the abuse toward Collum stopped when the penalty was awarded, and a couple of the posters commented that it looked like a dive and that Celtic were lucky.

I thought Collum was doing alright, but the penalty award was a mistake, and it changed the complexion of the game in Celtic's favour.

King Of The Cat Cafe

When the names of the officials were read out on the PA, a bloke beside me said: "I see they've brought their own referee with them".

Does WC or the SFA/SPFL not know that he is seen as being kind to Celtic - or don't they care?

Robbo-Jambo

In a cup final you need to be 100 per cent sure to give a penalty. No way he could be that and as for the assistants that had a better view than him wtf were they actually doing!!! 

What poster gave him a 9 ?

Can the settings not be changed to show who voted what....Or would that give too much away about certain posters?

Edited by sadj

letsalldothebeattie

Welcome back Willie we missed you. Safe to say the Willie Collum of Old we used to love to hate is well and truly back. Gave us next to nothing while giving them absolutely everything including a very soft penalty. 

Diadora Van Basten

Expect an ex ref to be wheeled out by the media today to explain that we are wrong, Collum was right and VAR is not necessary and wouldn’t have made any difference.

Say what you want about Collum's overall performance, but from where I was, it looked like he was pointing to the spot before Edouard even hit the deck.

He was right there and was just itching to give it to them.

The only 'real decision'  he had to make all afternoon and he 'blew it'.  Literally!