The Morning After

Craig Gordons Gloves

Craig Gordons Gloves

I woke up this morning and despite us not winning the cup, I don’t feel bad. Disappointed, but not at all pissed off. The singing in the Record Factory for 3 hours before the game, the anticipation and excitement pre game, the noise we made as a support and the massive emotion of taking the lead (I couldn’t breathe properly, was greeting and didn’t even know who scored until 5 mins later). The sense that we had done almost all we could to win. And spending the day and night with a great bunch of people all made yesterday a great day. I wandered out of Diggers down to Tynie around 9 last night and there was a guy standing on the plaza alone, just applauding. I totally get where he was coming from because I felt that too. 

Much love HMFC, much love. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• busby1985

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• wavydavy

• Alex Kintner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Old Tolbooth
4 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I woke up this morning and despite us not winning the cup, I don’t feel bad. Disappointed, but not at all pissed off. The singing in the Record Factory for 3 hours before the game, the anticipation and excitement pre game, the noise we made as a support and the massive emotion of taking the lead (I couldn’t breathe properly, was greeting and didn’t even know who scored until 5 mins later). The sense that we had done almost all we could to win. And spending the day and night with a great bunch of people all made yesterday a great day. I wandered out of Diggers down to Tynie around 9 last night and there was a guy standing on the plaza alone, just applauding. I totally get where he was coming from because I felt that too. 

Fabulous post, they done us proud yesterday, I'm aching all over today though and have a sore throat, but would do it all again today. 

Jambof3tornado

Proud at how we went about the game. When we scored I dared to dream the cup was ours and the treble treble was something to be laughed about.

So disappointed in the goalkeeper stalling in the rush out to allow celtic to cheat a penalty out of an ever eagerly waiting collum. Equally disappointing that he got hands on the spot kick but didnt manage to keep it out.

We have come a long way since our darkest of days but this season is still one of massive underachieving. Yes we got to a cup final but the route was hardly tough. League wise we failed to impose ourselves on so many occasions and allowed opponents to dictate our play. Yes injuries played a big part but seeing edwards and young hickey you just have to wonder why they werent playing sooner!!

Jean Louis Valois

I’m still gutted this morning, at 1-0 I couldn’t see us losing. But so proud of the players yesterday, put on a performance that i don’t think any of us were expecting and the crowd got right behind them from the off. Need to take this positivity in to next season now.

More gutted this morning than I was yesterday.

Watching Berras unfortunate error is stuff of nightmares.

Celtic did not turn up but left with cup.

We competed, but lacked a belief we could attack them.

Good effort but a great opportunity missed imo.

4 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I’m still gutted this morning, at 1-0 I couldn’t see us losing. But so proud of the players yesterday, put on a performance that i don’t think any of us were expecting and the crowd got right behind them from the off. Need to take this positivity in to next season now.

You were way more optimistic than me.  I always thought Celtic would score.  I celebrated the goal like a maddy, but knew we needed a second.  The chat on the way through was about not giving Callum the opportunity to give a penalty.

think my overall feeling is one of resignation.  I feared the worst but we were an awful lot better than I hoped.

35 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

We. Got. Beat.

What have we become. Proud to be beaten? Proud because the team put the effort in, it was a cup final, it comes with the territory.  This is the sort of stuff we slag other clubs for. Someone stood outside an empty stand and applauded ?? what an embarrassment. No wonder the players have just secured us back to back 6th place finishes, zero pressure from the fans to be any better. Nothing that happened yesterday should fill anyone with pride, we got beat from a winning position. Catch a grip. 

I'm still a bit down, hate losing, am not a very good at well we played well etc etc...we lost and that's the bottom line , apologies if this offends people that's just how I feel.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Proud of the effort but the two mistakes and Haring's header over when it looked easier to score will haunt for a while. Two nil would have done it I'm pretty sure.

More up for next season is my main feeling right now.

rudi must stay

About an hour later I was content and happy.

I can see us improving and from Levein's comments I think he can as well

Totally gutted. 

Lots of positives and moving forward it should be a platform to improve.

I'm pleased not to have any more football for a while but once it all starts it can be all enthusiastic. Halkett in, Naismith, Haring signed up, maybe some backroom changes, a couple of youngsters ready to play and 2 or 3 good signings. Could be very good. 

But well done to everyone for yesterday. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Jambothump
11 minutes ago, micole said:

I'm still a bit down, hate losing, am not a very good at well we played well etc etc...we lost and that's the bottom line , apologies if this offends people that's just how I feel.

I feel the same, rather we had really pressed them and lost 3-0, than the damage limitation style. Before the game, I did say we had nothing to lose, but still feel well down, that we did lose, when if we had pressed as we did, first game of season and last week the result could have been ours with more of the youngsters, granted Uchie and Steve N. were big misses.

I was disappointed but not gutted yesterday. I feared a doing before the game but was delighted that we played so much better than we have done this season and really made them fight for it but this morning I'm wondering why I should have been glad that it was only a narrow defeat. There is real quality in our team but we need to show it a lot more than this we did this season. I had a wee look at some of the highlights and picked up some excellent things that I completely missed at the match as it was all a bit too nerve racking at the time. Quite glad that I can now forget all about football for a month or two.   

hmfc_liam06

The pride and disappointment has definitely turned into hurt today. I'm actually sat here totally lost, can't shake the game from my mind at all. 

Francis Albert

I was OK yesterday maybe helped by the drink. But first thought this morning was that we had blown a great chance yet again.

And I suppose  - WTF have we not won a game since March and barely kicked a ball since November. One brave effort doesn't make up for that.

PS anyone needing cheering up have a look at the Celtic parade posts on the Sportscene thread. Worked for me!

Edited by Francis Albert

Mrs has ahem...been romantic.. and then Ive had fresh coffee n bacon roll brought up to bed. Had worse Sundays tbh!

Like everyone I'm gutted we passed up that opportunity but it's not hurting as much as it could have

gashauskis9
18 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

I feel the same, rather we had really pressed them and lost 3-0, than the damage limitation style. Before the game, I did say we had nothing to lose, but still feel well down, that we did lose, when if we had pressed as we did, first game of season and last week the result could have been ours with more of the youngsters, granted Uchie and Steve N. were big misses.

Don’t know what game you were watching but we pressed for 95 mins.  Other than their two goals, we didn’t give them a sniff.  Lost count of how many times Bain launched the ball out the park.

Gutted and the come down is quite awful after the promise, expectation, build up, hope, pre match banter and dreaming. 

Blackshades

Still gutted at the missed opportunity .off now to see  bonnyrigg in their final against East ki!bride so here's hoping for better luck today

Edited by Blackshades

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Fabulous post, they done us proud yesterday, I'm aching all over today though and have a sore throat, but would do it all again today. 

Snap ?

Brilliant opening post. I'm proud of the effort the players gave us yesterday. Our support was fantastic. I felt proud to be there. I feel gutted this morning though. 

Craig Gordons Gloves
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

We. Got. Beat.

What have we become. Proud to be beaten? Proud because the team put the effort in, it was a cup final, it comes with the territory.  This is the sort of stuff we slag other clubs for. Someone stood outside an empty stand and applauded ?? what an embarrassment. No wonder the players have just secured us back to back 6th place finishes, zero pressure from the fans to be any better. Nothing that happened yesterday should fill anyone with pride, we got beat from a winning position. Catch a grip. 

We’ll agree to disagree then, I traveled 4500 miles to watch my team give a great performance which was at odds with how bad we’ve been since October. That’s why I’m proud. Yes, this season has been a massive disappointment but I’m not wallowing in that, instead I’m going to focus on what I enjoyed about yesterday. 

As for your final comment, I firmly have a grip thanks, perhaps you need to loosen yours a wee bit. 

We. Got. Beat.

You sound like a Rangers or Celtic supporter.

Must be a struggle supporting Hearts. 8 Scottish Cups and 4 league titles in 130 years. 

chester copperpot

Pretty gutted tbh. Didnt deserve what we got yesterday.

Very very proud though. Shaking like Michael J Fox on a rollercoaster but proud all the same 

Brighton Jambo

We. Got. Beat.

I don’t think I’m being out of line to say your views are at odds with the vast majority of our supporters.

celtic have one the last nine domestic competitions.  We pushed them as close as any team in all those cup runs.  We are nowhere near our best at the moment but came close to ending a run that no other Scottish club has been able to do.  If you can’t see that then perhaps you need to get a grip on reality.

132goals1958
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Exactly how I feel. I know I should be a bit more mellow at my age but I am still gutted today. Went through with no great expectations but was hoping we could hold them going into the last 15 minutes or so then anything could happen.Thought we were frustrating them but to self inflict on two occasions is hard to take. I am glad it is a miserable day weather wise as it aptly reflects my mood.

The 9 mins or so we were leading made the whole season worthwhile. 

The team did us all proud and hopefully yesterday can act as inspiration for us to get there again next year. We can't dwell - we must improve and push on.

Captain Price

For me, it was the fact that we really shouldn't have lost that game. If we got pumped 4-0 it might’ve been easier to swallow. 

Proud, but hurt. 

Still deflated, gutted.  Haven’t felt this way about a game for years.

Didn’t deserve that yesterday but undone ourselves which just highlights our problems,  in a critical sense. 

Proud of the effort and bottle yesterday. 

Gutted.

A missed opportunity. They were there for the taking.

Heading to the pub soon, will no doubt feel worse tomorrow.

Pants Shaton

We’ll make it to 10 Scottish Cups in the next decade.

Might be nice to pick up a diddy cup soon.

I think the next two years are going to be good for Hearts fans.

20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You sound like a Rangers or Celtic supporter.

Must be a struggle supporting Hearts. 8 Scottish Cups and 4 league titles in 130 years. 

And this thread is what I’d expect to see on a Partick Thistle, Livingston etc fans forum. Everyone agrees Celtic where well below their best yesterday, so why are we proud to have been beaten by them? Everyone agrees the formation and tactics where spot on, well how come Celtic won the game, what changed the game in their favour? I see the game changing by our managers terrible substitutions, took us out the game. Loads on here agree Lennon is an awful manager yet he walked away with the cup, what’s there to be proud about that? Many on here are buzzing cause the team put in loads of effort, I see them as a professional football side who have been hiding that type of performance from us for 7 months, what is there to be proud in that? We’ve blown a great chance to win a trophy and am gutted, not proud. 

I get football fans can be happy in defeat, I get that football games can be won by sides that didn’t deserve it, I also get that games can be lost by poor management and that’s what cost us yesterday, and that for me is nothing to be proud of, that’s disappointing. 

The standards/expectations at hearts have dropped that much that we now have a large section of our fan base just happy to have a club. Back to back 6th place finishes, 5th the year before that. Call me a hobo, a rangers fan, a Celtic fan, a dick...... call me what you want but that’ll never be enough for me. What I saw yesterday from the side is what I expect in terms of effort and endeavour every game. What we’ve been getting since October is short changed and nothing about yesterday is going to make me feel proud about that. 

I agree with Sarah O tho, we can’t dwell on it. I hope Ann acts quickly and gets the management situation sorted ASAP so that the new man has a full pre season to prepare. Falling season ticket sales, derby not selling out, cup final not selling out, loads of wasted wages on terrible players, hopefully Ann acts this week. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We gave it everything. All we could ask. Disappointed. A little. We made whatever is said a hugely successful Celtic team look ordinary. 4.5 out of 6 games with them have been competitive. Annoying more than anything we have not seen it over the line than just once. 

Like the final of 96 I am pretty confident this is the end of the beginning. 

Better start preparing for more days like yesterday. I feel remarkably comfortable and good. Not slightly bitter just comes with age these ***** get the decisions that count.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Barack said:

We can compete with a Celtic team in Glasgow when we have injuries and 16 year old boys in the side. Who knew...!? Imagine if we didn't have them, we improve the team, & do it on a more sustained level.

No excuses next season. We should be in Semi's of cups next year, & top 3 as a minimum. 

Proud of the effort, but it's done now. From Monday, it's about the team rebuild & the 2019/20 season. As that's exactly the thought process that'll be taking place at Tynecastle from next week.

:spoton:

44 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Pretty gutted tbh. Didnt deserve what we got yesterday.

Very very proud though. Shaking like Michael J Fox on a rollercoaster but proud all the same 

:rofl:

10 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

And this thread is what I’d expect to see on a Partick Thistle, Livingston etc fans forum. Everyone agrees Celtic where well below their best yesterday, so why are we proud to have been beaten by them? Everyone agrees the formation and tactics where spot on, well how come Celtic won the game, what changed the game in their favour? I see the game changing by our managers terrible substitutions, took us out the game. Loads on here agree Lennon is an awful manager yet he walked away with the cup, what’s there to be proud about that? Many on here are buzzing cause the team put in loads of effort, I see them as a professional football side who have been hiding that type of performance from us for 7 months, what is there to be proud in that? We’ve blown a great chance to win a trophy and am gutted, not proud. 

I get football fans can be happy in defeat, I get that football games can be won by sides that didn’t deserve it, I also get that games can be lost by poor management and that’s what cost us yesterday, and that for me is nothing to be proud of, that’s disappointing. 

The standards/expectations at hearts have dropped that much that we now have a large section of our fan base just happy to have a club. Back to back 6th place finishes, 5th the year before that. Call me a hobo, a rangers fan, a Celtic fan, a dick...... call me what you want but that’ll never be enough for me. What I saw yesterday from the side is what I expect in terms of effort and endeavour every game. What we’ve been getting since October is short changed and nothing about yesterday is going to make me feel proud about that. 

I agree with Sarah O tho, we can’t dwell on it. I hope Ann acts quickly and gets the management situation sorted ASAP so that the new man has a full pre season to prepare. Falling season ticket sales, derby not selling out, cup final not selling out, loads of wasted wages on terrible players, hopefully Ann acts this week. 

Have to say, I agree a with a lot you say.  At the same time, we weren’t able to put out a full strength team.  My main regret is that we saw effort yesterday that has been lacking for months.  It is the lacking months that I regret.  At my job, I won’t get praised for that kind of application.

Captain Price
14 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Have a ****ing day off man.

6 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I can't really disagree with what you say and I think that the praise being heaped on the Coach and his players is mainly down to the fact that we actually played so much better than we have been in the past months.

With so many defeats and poor performances we were expected to do well to avoid a humping especially with the team we started the game with.

The fact we took the lead and played so well almost makes it more difficult to accept eventual defeat beacuse we could have won that game but for two silly mistakes but then they didn't make the same costly mistakes and had a proper striker who took advantage of them.

The one thing that ran through my mind yesterday was the number of good crosses we got into their box and should this have been the game for Vanacek to have been given a run. The style of play was much more suited to him than the hump up the park we have been doing. Levein was prepared to take a gamble on the formation and Hickey and Edwards so why not one more gamble in Vanacek. 

I can't and don't believe for one minute that he is still not fully fit.

On you last paragraph I also agree but think you will find that unless CL himself decides he wants to go then there will be no changes other than him going back to his DOF role and putting Daly, McPhee and Fox in full charge of the team in which case it would just be a status quo scenario with regard to the style of football etc.

Pans Jambo

Played well yesterday. Got beat. Lets not get all excited about 1 game despite the positives about how we applied ourselves or Aaron Hickey’s performance. 

We really finished 8th if u look at the points and goal difference. Says it all for me. Shit season. 

F9E189BB-9A86-4CE5-94E2-3C8E32207491.png

Edited by Pans Jambo

6 minutes ago, Haken said:

Have to say, I agree a with a lot you say.  At the same time, we weren’t able to put out a full strength team.  My main regret is that we saw effort yesterday that has been lacking for months.  It is the lacking months that I regret.  At my job, I won’t get praised for that kind of application.

I am not totally convinced that CL would have set us up to play the same way had we had a full fit squad to choose from. We actually look a much better team in my opinion when we don't have an Uche type player up front to hump the ball up to and we pass the ball about as we did in the first half.

Personally I’m surprised there’s not more being said about Zlamal! Twice this year he has f***** us for silverware! Raging at that but proud of the boys and pretty upbeat about next year if we keep Naismith! Must get a new goalie tho cause he is a bombscare. 

Just now, red said:

Personally I’m surprised there’s not more being said about Zlamal! Twice this year he has f***** us for silverware! Raging at that but proud of the boys and pretty upbeat about next year if we keep Naismith! Must get a new goalie tho cause he is a bombscare. 

Make that two gaolkeepers. Remember why Doyle was dropped ?

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Played well yesterday. Got beat. Lets not get all excited about 1 game despite the positives about how we applied ourselves or Aaron Hickey’s performance. 

We really finished 8th if u look at the points and goal difference. Says it all for me. Shit season. 

F9E189BB-9A86-4CE5-94E2-3C8E32207491.png

Jesus H. Christ.....

We finished 6th none of tjis it was really anything lower. Add to that in your frothing at the gash to try and make a point you can’t count.... Have a few weeks off ?

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Yep, pity about Berra’s lapse but neither Souter or Bobby covered themselves in glory at their second either. Souter caught ball watching as was Berra. Not sure what Bobby was trying to do. 

T

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I am not totally convinced that CL would have set us up to play the same way had we had a full fit squad to choose from. We actually look a much better team in my opinion when we don't have an Uche type player up front to hump the ball up to and we pass the ball about as we did in the first half.

Perhaps.  But I wasn’t just referring to players available, but also the fitness of those who were.  It was a real sticking plaster of a team which in the end wasn’t just quite enough to get over the line.  

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I can't really disagree with what you say and I think that the praise being heaped on the Coach and his players is mainly down to the fact that we actually played so much better than we have been in the past months.

With so many defeats and poor performances we were expected to do well to avoid a humping especially with the team we started the game with.

The fact we took the lead and played so well almost makes it more difficult to accept eventual defeat beacuse we could have won that game but for two silly mistakes but then they didn't make the same costly mistakes and had a proper striker who took advantage of them.

The one thing that ran through my mind yesterday was the number of good crosses we got into their box and should this have been the game for Vanacek to have been given a run. The style of play was much more suited to him than the hump up the park we have been doing. Levein was prepared to take a gamble on the formation and Hickey and Edwards so why not one more gamble in Vanacek. 

I can't and don't believe for one minute that he is still not fully fit.

On you last paragraph I also agree but think you will find that unless CL himself decides he wants to go then there will be no changes other than him going back to his DOF role and putting Daly, McPhee and Fox in full charge of the team in which case it would just be a status quo scenario with regard to the style of football etc.

I’m not sure any of us know what kind of game suits Vanacek to be honest 

8 minutes ago, Haken said:

I am gutted, just like everyone else. This whole “give Levein the job” “next season we have loads to be excited about” blah blah nonsense is infuriating me and making me more gutted. Our short comings as a team where there for all to see yesterday and in a nutshell summed up our season. We have no plan B and Levein is reactive on the touchline, not proactive. His decisions cost us the game and we never won the cup. I can’t understand where in all that is anything to be proud of.