Next Seasons Squad

Jambomuzz

Let's assume levien is going to be manager. (I think he will be) and I'm willing to give him another season to build on the foundations he has laid so far. There are other threads for that discussion though, so this is about how you would like to see us line up and exactly what we need to sustain a challenge and hopefully reach another cup final at least. 

For me it's tough, I see enough in a lot of the players to warrant a place in the team, but we need the commitment from them and the desire that seemed to be lacking for the most part of the season.

I think we could probably have 2 base formations for next season. For me these would be somethibg like this:

4-4-2

Zlamal

Smith souttar halkett Hickey

(new winger) haring (new creative mid) mulraney

Naismith   uche/(new striker). 

3-5-2

Zlamal

Souttar halkett berra

Smith haring Edwards (new mid) mulraney

Naismith uche

I think we need another left back as there is no way Hickey will be able to play 40 games a season. We also need an attacking mid, creative mid, and 2 wingers, with at least one more striker to give us the depth we need to last a season challenging. Who these are remain to be seen. 

I like Sean Clare, but I'm struggling to see his starting place in the team and maybe would be best used as an impact sub to change games, playing more central as I feel he's wasted out wide, but needs must this season with a lack of wide players. You could possibly swap him out for Edwards in the 3-5-2, maybe playing him at home and Edwards away when we need more energy.

Just my thoughts going forward. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siegementality

• JamboAl

• Agentjambo

• Jambof3tornado

kingantti1874

Need a new keeper and we need 2 or 3 attacking players, hopefully we see cochrane, hickey and smith regularly as they are the future. 

6 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Let's assume levien is going to be manager. (I think he will be) and I'm willing to give him another season to build on the foundations he has laid so far. There are other threads for that discussion though, so this is about how you would like to see us line up and exactly what we need to sustain a challenge and hopefully reach another cup final at least. 

For me it's tough, I see enough in a lot of the players to warrant a place in the team, but we need the commitment from them and the desire that seemed to be lacking for the most part of the season.

I think we could probably have 2 base formations for next season. For me these would be somethibg like this:

4-4-2

Zlamal

Smith souttar halkett Hickey

(new winger) haring (new creative mid) mulraney

Naismith   uche/(new striker). 

3-5-2

Zlamal

Souttar halkett berra

Smith haring Edwards (new mid) mulraney

Naismith uche

I think we need another left back as there is no way Hickey will be able to play 40 games a season. We also need an attacking mid, creative mid, and 2 wingers, with at least one more striker to give us the depth we need to last a season challenging. Who these are remain to be seen. 

I like Sean Clare, but I'm struggling to see his starting place in the team and maybe would be best used as an impact sub to change games, playing more central as I feel he's wasted out wide, but needs must this season with a lack of wide players. You could possibly swap him out for Edwards in the 3-5-2, maybe playing him at home and Edwards away when we need more energy.

Just my thoughts going forward. 

White has been signed to play left back. Assuming he is fit him and Hickey should cover it with Garuccio back at Xmas as well. Think we are well covered at the back just need Naismith signed  up and 3/4 creative, attacking players. 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Need a new keeper and we need 2 or 3 attacking players, hopefully we see cochrane, hickey and smith regularly as they are the future. 

I agree a new keeper is needed, but I would prioritise other positions. If it was a choice between a new wide player or keeper, then wide player all day long. 

The kids need put into matches as and when suits, with the like of cochrane to give someone like haring a rest at home to the likes of County/Hamilton, where his presence won't be missed as much. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

White has been signed to play left back. Assuming he is fit him and Hickey should cover it with Garuccio back at Xmas as well. Think we are well covered at the back just need Naismith signed  up and 3/4 creative, attacking players. 

I had actually forgotten about him! 

hmfc_liam06

Goalkeepers

Zlamal

Doyle

Despite his mistake yesterday, Zlamal is still a good enough keeper for our league. If someone were to become available then fair enough but a new goalkeeper isn't a priority.

Right Back

Smith

Godinho

Brandon

Smith is Mr Dependable but I really don't have much confidence in what's behind him. 

Left Back

Garuccio

White

Hickey

We're covered here. For me, it's Hickey's jersey to lose.

Centre Back

Berra

Souttar

Halkett

Dikamona

No issues here, probably the strongest in the league.

Right Midfield

Clare

McDonald

This is probably our number one priority for me. I'd like to see us sign a quality right sided midfielder.

Left Midfield

Mulraney

I've been so impressed with Mulraney in the latter parts of the season, he's our number one left midfielder. We don't have much beyond him there but the likes of Burns and the right sided players can also play here.

Centre Midfield

Haring

Cochrane

Smith

Irving

Lee

Bozanic

Edwards

We've a lot of bodies in here, I wouldn't be adverse to us telling Lee/Bozanic that they can find a new club. Not that I don't like them but we could use their wages to sign a real quality midfielder. I also want to see a lot more of the 3 young guys. Ideally we'd get Djoum tied up too.

Forwards

Naismith

Ikpeazu

Maclean

Vanacek

Wighton

Keena

We're still a body short here. Naismith's injury record means we can't fully rely on him for a full season. Vanacek has it all to do, he could well be told to find a new club. Maclean is a fine option as a backup.

All in all, I side with Levein in that we only really need 3 or 4 signings. If we could add a right midfielder, centre midfielder and a striker we would have the basis of a good squad.

*I've probably missed someone out no doubt :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

iain ferguson
22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

New goalkeeper has got to be a priority as both make too many errors but Bobby would be a good back up. If we can keep key players fit and introduce the younger players who put some of the older pros to shame with their touch and ability on the ball, then a replacement for Djoum (not a Lee or Bozanic) and one or two attacking players would improve the squad greatly. Also need to try to offload a few to allow the younger players to come through and feature more regularly.

wheatfield to sheffield

Priorities new goalie and left back, lighten up the number of centre midfielders 

kingantti1874
Just now, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Priorities new goalie and left back, lighten up the number of centre midfielders 

Left back? Aaron Hickey, Aidy White, Bobby Burns, Ben Garuccio, and dikamona has played there.. last thing we need is a left back. 

RustyRightPeg

5 in total for me with a couple going the other way:

A keeper - long term Bobby isn't the solution, and it doesn't look like we've got anything spectacular coming through youth wise.

Right back - cover for smith. Existing options don't fill me with confidence.

Centre half - again nothing exciting youth wise coming through (maybe Hamilton, but he is diminutive in size). Berra & Jambo soldier aren't long term solutions and lets be honest we're not gonna hold onto Souttar forever.

Right Mid - Edwards could do a job here as he showed yesterday but we don't have much else. McDonald & Zanatta both have big pre season's ahead of him as they've both had good season's out on loan.

Centre Mid - Djoum looks like he's moving on based on what he said to a friend of mine outside the Tynie arms yesterday after the game. A creative type would be helpful here.

iain ferguson
1 minute ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

We are to have 3 left backs - Hickey, White and Garrucio once he comes back. Appreciate the quality may be lacking but cannot sign another.

iain ferguson
Just now, iain ferguson said:

We are to have 3 left backs - Hickey, White and Garrucio once he comes back. Appreciate the quality may be lacking but cannot sign another.

Sorry and Burns...

jamboinglasgow

I dont understand how people think Bobby is not good enough. Yes he had a few mistakes this season but no more then is normal for a good goalkeeper in this league. He has been a fantastic shot stopper, a strong goalkeeper in the box and good presence at the back. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
11 minutes ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Left back ? Got garruccio , white and hickey already 

Just now, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Craig Gordon?

Gordon is still a better keeper than Zlamal and it’s about time he was making a move to coaching, so yes for me.

Once Naismith is done and dusted our biggest priority should be keeping hold of Souttar, hopefully we can enjoy having him for one more season before we cash in.

gashauskis9

My only request would be to go out and sign a £9m striker from one of the top clubs in Europe.  

New goalkeeper 

If we can get a better right back though Brandon could be the man

Depends on sales. If Souttar goes, Smith is my replacement (with new right back) now we have Halkett. 

I'm a fan of Oily Lee and with Djoum going it changes the dynamic. We need a creative player and also someone with pace (like Colin Cameron).

Another striker. And another back up (for injuries given history with Naismith, Keena). 

No one else obvious to leave. Wighton clearly needs to start playing. 

Re youngsters Hickey must be squad at least. As long as he is fit, Cochrane in team. No one else obviously ready. Connor Smith and Chris Hamilton in and around squad. Petkov possibly too. But another couple of years to wait for a more steady stream of youngsters coming in. But Hickey shows it is possible.  

We need a keeper. Box to box midfielder, Winger.

Id like to see more of the young lads. They give us the energy we need and, if Naismith signs he makes a huge difference. We’re not a million miles away IMO and surely we can’t have as many injuries next season 

kingantti1874
24 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I dont understand how people think Bobby is not good enough. Yes he had a few mistakes this season but no more then is normal for a good goalkeeper in this league. He has been a fantastic shot stopper, a strong goalkeeper in the box and good presence at the back. 

Never have 100% confidence in him, he has made mistakes at crucial times, the semi and yesterday.. I’d move on Doyle and bring in the boy from st Johnston 

Central Belt 1874

As many have said, both against Livingston and now Celtic in the final, the goalkeepers hesitation has cost us and therefore we need to strengthen here.

Yesterday changed my mind about Uche, and our striking options probably needs completely overhauled. Yesterdays substitutions showed our lack of quality in the biggest of games when the game was there to be won.

2-4 quality players and using the youth more should bring a stronger league performance.

The question is will Levein play to our strengths week in week out.

Rocky jamboa

A couple of decent midfielders, who can control the midfield, spray passes about and create are key. I think we need another striker or two also. 

A better keeper. At the back we seem fine. Probably need another wide player.

Would like to see hickey, Cochrane, keena, godinho and connor Smith get more games next season. 

More about bringing quality over quantity this time but feel we do need probably 5 quality additions to give us a better chance next season. 

Jambof3tornado

Massive season for Harry coming up. Really feel he can make a huge difference if we can get 25 plus starts out of him.

New keeper needed. Doyle and Bobby good no2s but not good enough to be starting week in week out.

johnking123

Goalkeeper midfielder winger or two and a striker. Defender if souttar leaves . Which I'm sure he will.

We need a goalie, probably need a winger and a CF.  Need a midfielder in Djoum leaves.

I hope we only sign 3/4 players.

Let the kids run.  Harry and Tony are 18 turning 19 next season.  It's their time.  Hickey, supported by maybe White.  Irving, Keena, Morrison, Smith, Hamilton, maybe Zanatta.

And then Halkett, plus all the new guys this year who've done everywhere from damp/OK to excellent, from Wighton, Clare and Lee to Haring, Uche and Mulraney, have a full year under their belts and should be ready to go with no excuses next year.

We've got a good squad.  Less upheaval week to week (helped by less injuries), we're well in next year.

Bobby

Souttar

Berra

M.smith

Dikamona

Halkett

Hickey

Haring

Cochrane

Irving

McDonald

Mulraney

Djoum

C.smith

Naismith

Uche

Keena

Not including youngsters who are yet to break through. I'd like above to be involved in first team not fussed for any players I've not listed

Need wide options and 4/5 quality editions to go straight into team who are an *improvement* on what we have.

Edited by Alan_R

iain ferguson
13 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is burns really a left back though?

Time will tell but still leaves us with 3 other left backs.

1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Bobby

Souttar

Berra

M.smith

Dikamona

Halkett

Hickey

Haring

Cochrane

Irving

McDonald

Mulraney

Djoum

C.smith

Naismith

Uche

Keena

Not including youngsters who are yet to break through. I'd like above to be involved in first team not fussed for any players I've not listed

Need wide options and 4/5 quality editions to go straight into team who are an *improvement* on what we have.

Clare has to be in there mate.  I know why he isn't but the kid definitely has talent.  Let's allow him that year in a dififcult circumstance.  He needs to step up next season.

Also think Lee and Bozanic have roles to play, as do either of Gondinho and Brandon (squad is important).  Edwards has also shown enough for me.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Hickey is capable of playing further forward with his talent so he could well play in the same team as White.

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Goalkeepers

Zlamal

Doyle

Despite his mistake yesterday, Zlamal is still a good enough keeper for our league. If someone were to become available then fair enough but a new goalkeeper isn't a priority.

Right Back

Smith

Godinho

Brandon

Smith is Mr Dependable but I really don't have much confidence in what's behind him. 

Left Back

Garuccio

White

Hickey

We're covered here. For me, it's Hickey's jersey to lose.

Centre Back

Berra

Souttar

Halkett

Dikamona

No issues here, probably the strongest in the league.

Right Midfield

Clare

McDonald

This is probably our number one priority for me. I'd like to see us sign a quality right sided midfielder.

Left Midfield

Mulraney

I've been so impressed with Mulraney in the latter parts of the season, he's our number one left midfielder. We don't have much beyond him there but the likes of Burns and the right sided players can also play here.

Centre Midfield

Haring

Cochrane

Smith

Irving

Lee

Bozanic

Edwards

We've a lot of bodies in here, I wouldn't be adverse to us telling Lee/Bozanic that they can find a new club. Not that I don't like them but we could use their wages to sign a real quality midfielder. I also want to see a lot more of the 3 young guys. Ideally we'd get Djoum tied up too.

Forwards

Naismith

Ikpeazu

Maclean

Vanacek

Wighton

Keena

We're still a body short here. Naismith's injury record means we can't fully rely on him for a full season. Vanacek has it all to do, he could well be told to find a new club. Maclean is a fine option as a backup.

All in all, I side with Levein in that we only really need 3 or 4 signings. If we could add a right midfielder, centre midfielder and a striker we would have the basis of a good squad.

*I've probably missed someone out no doubt :lol:

3rd thread I’ve said this. What mistake did Zlamal make? If it was the penalty he was cheated and actually checked out of the challenge. They cheated the ref & he complied its not a Zlamal mistake.

4 quality signings for me.....

Right mid/Winger

Left mid/winger

Centre mid box to box

Striker/poacher

Olly Lee free to go (not because I don’t like him I just think he too far down the list)

Vanecek, Bozanic, Wighton and a couple youngsters possible loan with option to recall in January? 

iain ferguson
7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

3rd thread I’ve said this. What mistake did Zlamal make? If it was the penalty he was cheated and actually checked out of the challenge. They cheated the ref & he complied its not a Zlamal mistake.

For me, he got involved when he should have been letting his defenders deal with it. He was well out of his goal and wide. No need for him to be there.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Clare needs to go, as does McLean.

Clare was an embarrassment yesterday. I respect McLean for his running and he helped with a really good press but his touch and hold up play was laughable. No longer a footballer.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

But unfortunately two of those mistakes have come in our two biggest games.  We can’t carry on with someone who makes such costly errors.  He’s a solid back up but not a number one. 

30 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is burns really a left back though?

No

He has potential to add to our midfield attacking options. 

Famous 1874

Taken from hmfc Liam but with my tweaks:

Goalkeepers

New first choice keeper

New back up/ young prospect keeper or one of Zlamal or Doyle 

Personally feel that we need both either one of Zlamal/ Doyle replaced or both. They have both made some absolutely shocking mistakes this season and both are not comfortable catching crosses, passing out from the back and asserting themselves in the box. Craig Gordon would be excellent, as would a Liam Kelly who has a 50k release clause. Get a first choice goalie and keep one of Zlamal/Doyle as backup to play in the less important games or get another academy graduate (if ready) to fill the void.

Right Back

Smith

New younger right back/ Logan?

Smith is first choice obviously but don’t think Godinho or Brandon will ever be good enough, so i’d be looking to get rid of both either permanently or on loan. Does young Cammy Logan in the academy look good enough to get a few appearances next season? If not then we should be looking to get a young right back in as competition and to get minutes here and there. 

Left Back

Garuccio

White

Hickey

Burns? 

Covered here provided that Aidy White is able to play. Hickey should be first choice but obviously won’t be able to play every week. 

Put Burns in as he has played left back for us, but can’t see him playing there longer term. Seems more suited to a central role. 

Garuccio will provide good competition when he returns. 

Centre Back

Berra

Souttar

Halkett

Dikamona

Integrate an academy centre back 

Provided we keep Souttar it will be interesting if we play a 3 at the back or 4 due to the signing on Halkett. Personally would play 4 with Souttar and Halkett as a pairing with Berra used when we play a 3. Dikamona is solid cover. 

Right Midfield

Clare

MacDonald

Morrison - loan

New right winger 

Want to see MacDonald get some minutes next season but we definitely need to sign a more direct right winger. I’d loan Morrison out too. Clare probably prefers to play in behind the strikers. 

Left Midfield

Mulraney

New left winger

A Milinkovic type signing to play on the left would be brilliant. A different type of player to Mulraney and they can both be used to compete together. 

Centre Midfield 

Haring

Cochrane

C. Smith

Irving

Lee - get rid 

Bozanic - could go 

Edwards - could go 

New Creative midfielder 

New box to box midfielder? 

Djoum is off currently I would definitely punt Lee. Craig Bryson would be an excellent replacement and improvement on Djoum. Bozanic could leave too although I personally quite like him. Need to get Irving, Cochrane and C.Smith more minutes next season as they are all excellent prospects. 

Forwards

Naismith

Ikpeazu

Maclean

Vanacek - get rid 

Wighton - loan

Keena - loan

New striker 

Without a doubt one of our biggest issues along with attacking wide players and midfielders. Wighton and Keena should both go out on loan again, premiership teams ideally. Can’t see Vanecek not being punted. Feel we need at least 1 new striker, a more poacher 6 yard box type. May need an additional striker if Levein prefers to play Naisy in the number 10 role. 

Finlay James

Bobby is ok in goals but I'd like to see better quality there.  Craig Gordon would be great until Harry Stone is ready.

Smith is great at RB but beyond him, we need better back up as I'm unconvinced that Godinho and Brandon are good enough at this level.  Cammy Logan is a good young player but he's still a year away.  Jay Sandison is another who will come good in that position.

LB and CH we're well covered.

Midfield and up front need major surgery.  In saying that, I think that we already have players at the club who could make the difference and I'd be putting Cochrane, McDonald, Irving and a Smith ahead of Lee/Bozanic.  We need a quality right winger to compete with Morrison.

Keena needs more game time and I'd like to see him partner with Naismith and Uche.

Zlamal is a Bruce Grobbelaar type, a tad eccentric. He pulls of some great instinctive saves, however, give him time to think and he’ll often make the wrong decision. Penalties are a prime example, 9 timed out of 10 he will go the wrong way VERY early making scoring simple, apart from yesterday when he went the correct way but the ball went through his hands when it should have been saved. That for me is an example of his lack of quality with body/hand position, he often leads with the wrong hand or is caught flat footed and is slow to react to dangerous situations.  

We we need a keeper that the defence feels confident if they make a mistake he will get them out of the shit.  He is bang AVERAGE, not the quality required if we are to push on next season.

Doyle, he is terrible! 

rudi must stay

Zlamal is ok, bit I'm hearing Gordon you dont turn him down in a million years

Defence wise no problems at all there

Midfield. An attacking midfielder to push Clare would not be a bad move at all. You have your wall of Haring and Djoum (CL hoping of him staying) to allow someone to flourish there

Forwards. Experience for me is the road to go down, look at McLean yesterday. That's what you get with experience. Being in the right place making the right decisions, you watched Wighton he was rarely in the right place.

I don't think we're far away

I'd move on - if possible;

GK: Doyle

DF: Garrucio, Shaunessey, Hughes, Godinho (loan)

MF: Lee, Bozanic, Clare, Morrison (loan)

FW: Vanecek (if Levein is still here), Wighton, MacLean 

That would free us op to promote McDonald, Cochrane, Smith, Irvine and Hickey and bring in a CM, AM, 2 wingers and a 1st choice striker.

I have thought he was a bomb scare since Bayview in the Betfred. Been pasted on here a few times for continuing to say so. 

He is a great shot-saver but unfortunately doesn’t inspire confidence around him. Sadly he is all too prone to howlers in big matches. Couple of howlers at Murrayfield and yesterday his hesitation then rash challenge gave Edouard the chance to steal a pen. Poor effort at stopping pen again and looked like he dodges out of the way of the ball at their second after being caught in no mans land. Didn’t make himself big in any way at their second, seemed to want to get out the way of it. 

Probably ok as a number 2 but not good enough for a number1 in my opinion.