Team Selection

Perth to Paisley

Perth to Paisley

I have no idea when CL announced the team but I heard that team selection before we left Edinburgh at noon!

Had we been playing against a manager that had any tactical nous then it could have been important.

Whoever leaked it should be hunted ... shame on them.

It could have been a coincidence but not many saw us playing a 16 year old left back.

9 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

I have no idea when CL announced the team but I heard that team selection before we left Edinburgh at noon!

Had we been playing against a manager that had any tactical nous then it could have been important.

It could have been a coincidence but not many saw us playing a 16 year old left back.

Players and rest of squad knew the team on Friday morning so take your pick as to who the leak was. Impossible to keep it completely secret in any case unless players don’t find out until a couple of hours before ko. I’m sure Hickeys family all knew Friday night so they could arrange to get to the game. Don’t for a moment think Lennon would change his line-up based on who we selected. 

Armageddon

We were told at 9:30 waiting for the bus, that wouldn't have stopped the non-penalty and Berra sleeping now would it???

9 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Don't get it 

Hickey had Forrest in his back pocket 

The team selection was fine, Hickey was brilliant. 

Team should not be leaked but had zero impact on game.

The lack of attacking know how was our let down.

Perth to Paisley

Making no comment about who was selected..

My  comment was about giving the opposition the opportunity to combat it.

That's why teams delay announcing until 75 minutes before for most games!

OmiyaHearts
8 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

I doubt Celtic even looked at our line up until the teams came out the tunnel.

Jambof3tornado
43 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

75 minutes or 5 hours. We still didnt have many options to mix it up.

Captain Canada

My one disappointment was that Shaugnessy made the bench ahead of Dikamona. A loan player who's leaving and is less committed shouldn't be ahead of a good player under contract in my view. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

My one disappointment was that Shaugnessy made the bench ahead of Dikamona. A loan player who's leaving and is less committed shouldn't be ahead of a good player under contract in my view. 

Spot on. Dikamona deserved to be in the bench. Gets the club and an able deputy if one of the defenders got injured. Shaugnessy would struggle to get in my fives team on a Thursday night!

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Gambo said:

I'm not sure there was a lack of attacking play. We matched Celtic all over the park. Played 3 up when we had possession and pinned them right back when we fell behind. 

Yes we came up short against a team with greater quality but nothing to do with how we set up. 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'm not sure there was a lack of attacking play. We matched Celtic all over the park. Played 3 up when we had possession and pinned them right back when we fell behind. 

Yes we came up short against a team with greater quality but nothing to do with how we set up. 

I think we set up terrifically to stop Celtic playing and influence our own game on the match as a whole but there was a lack of attacking play from both set of players.  We played to our strengths also yesterday which was getting the ball back to front in wide positions and push them back.  I would say on the whole we also won the midfield battle and at no point allowed Celtic to dictate play.  They where rotten, I think we deserve a little more credit than we are getting too instead of people lazily saying it was the Lennon effect or Celtic have been mince for weeks.  Regardless of that they ususllly turn up in a final and we restricted them severely and it’s so gutting we just fell a little short due to tired minds possibly having given so much to the game. 

10 hours ago, Gambo said:

Too many times in good positions in Celtic half we took the option to go all the way back.

True, but when we played it back we came forward again with a bit of pace. We never let up.

Mr Elwood P
14 hours ago, Gambo said:

Was it? We were 1-0 up. Two naive defensive errors cost us. All told a great performance by the team who left everything on the park and gave a great account of themselves and the club. 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Jambothump
14 hours ago, Gambo said:

Too many times in good positions in Celtic half we took the option to go all the way back.

That's what really annoyed me.

1 hour ago, Jambothump said:

That's what really annoyed me.

Me too. It’s a negative mindset. If it were to change the angle of attack then OK, but it’s just players taking no responsibility. Usually it then ends up with us punting the ball. It’s so frustrating.

Noticed Smith being particularly bad for it on Saturday. Anyway, into injury time Smith picked up the ball just over the halfway line. Thought he was going to do it again, but he thought better of it probably with the lack of time left, instead he made a strong run down the wing and swung a good ball into the box that Berra should have done better with his header. Why does it have to take being behind in the last few minutes of a cup final to change this mindset?

1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

Me too. It’s a negative mindset. If it were to change the angle of attack then OK, but it’s just players taking no responsibility. Usually it then ends up with us punting the ball. It’s so frustrating.

Noticed Smith being particularly bad for it on Saturday. Anyway, into injury time Smith picked up the ball just over the halfway line. Thought he was going to do it again, but he thought better of it probably with the lack of time left, instead he made a strong run down the wing and swung a good ball into the box that Berra should have done better with his header. Why does it have to take being behind in the last few minutes of a cup final to change this mindset?

Couldn't disagree more about the negative mindset. Thought we played with a good balance of keeping possession if nothing was opening up and attacking in numbers when we could.

Jambothump

Saw a youngish lad, mid/late 20's crying his eyes out as me and my daughter left.

Heard about a friend yesterday, my age 62, not an emotional person you would say, being comforted by a 22 year old, as my friend is welling up so bad.

The disappointment of not going that 110% to win, when it was there for us, these glasgow creeps only need to be 80%and they'll get the result.

It was in our hands, glorious failure, is a bit too hibs for me, "we out sang them!"

It was there for us and we failed, I've renewed my season ticket,lets hope Hearts can renew with Stevie Naysmith and Uchie, a winning mind set.

They have the heart for it,and if they can instill that in the youngsters ??????

22 hours ago, Perth to Paisley said:

I agree it's better if we keep things under our hat for as long as possible but for a huge game which meant Celtic winning the triple treble, do you seriously believe they were waiting to see our team selection before they finalised their team and tactics?

Walter Kidd

My view for what it's worth is that Levein and his coaches know to beat Celtic, you have to press them high up the park.  We managed them in the first half and started the second half building up a crescendo until we scored.  We should then have went for the throat.  We all know what happens next, Collum gives a penalty which isn't and we make one mistake which gives them the lead.  Haring and Berra had at least 3 efforts which didn't hit the target.  That is unfortunately the difference.

I'm not a coach but if that is how we go for teams why do we not play like that all the time? Too many times this season you knew how we were going to play by how we started the game.  We need to be up for every single game next season and if we play like we did on Saturday we will win more than we lose.  Get to Glasgow and take both sides of the same arse on Craig.  Go for them.  You'll get more love by doing that than the defensive bollocks you played this season.  The fans will back you if you let loose.  Time to let them play attacking football.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Couldn't disagree more about the negative mindset. Thought we played with a good balance of keeping possession if nothing was opening up and attacking in numbers when we could.

Couldn't agree more, Toque. We did seem to turn back quite often but on every occasion it was the sensible thing to do.

All season long fans, myself included, have criticised the aimless punts that lead nowhere other than giving the opposition the ball. It's a terrible way to play football as we squander possession and are immediately under pressure. Celtic would have had a field day if we'd persisted with that abysmal approach. 

We didn't do that on Saturday. If there was nothing doing we played the ball back, kept possession and built from the back again. Absolutely the right thing to do. Teams all over the world would do the same.

Add in the high line and the tireless closing down we maintained and I truly believe we couldn't have played the game any better. True, there were one or two lapses. Djoum gave the ball away once or twice, Berra at the second and Zlamal's hesitation in the lead up to the penalty but these things happen. Barcelona don't play perfectly for 90 minutes and we're not Barcelona. 

I've been a stern critic of CL, and still believe change is necessary, but he and the team couldn't have done more to win the Cup on Saturday and I have no complaints. 

Quite the opposite.