• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• soonbe110

I think it’s at the point where it’s more detrimental to us if he stays on as manager. If we go out and employ a new manager, excitement builds, we would undoubtedly sell more season tickets versus Levein staying on, given how much he splits opinion. Personally, the thought of another season of his style of football does not fill me with any hope or excitement. 

Its time to say thanks to him but goodbye. He’s had more than a fair shot of it.

On 25/05/2019 at 21:00, R08813 said:

One of the most noticeable aspects of the game today was that the tactics were absolutely spot on. The pressing play from the players had Celtic on the back foot for the majority of the game, and say what you want, what I saw today was a team keen to put his plan into action. This has been a sore season in many respects, losing our talisman for the majority of the season and being without key players for much of the rest; despite this and the impact it inevitably had on form due to the difficulty of building momentum, Craig has done enough to convince me at least that with one or two more signings and a good chance to allow the squad to recover, we will see a very different league form next season. This has been a season of highs and lows, but Craig is the right man to get us firing next season. Onwards and upwards. 

So because you thought Levein got his tactics right for once and we still lost Levein is the right man to continue managing Hearts. What planet are you on.

? not Earth.

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Who wants jam today when they can have jam tomorrow?  And wonderkid jam is the best jam of all.

Our wonderkids are going to be so much better than everyone elses.

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Who wants jam today when they can have jam tomorrow?  And wonderkid jam is the best jam of all.

Our wonderkids are going to be so much better than everyone elses.

? 

2 hours ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Had the weekend to mull this over now and enough is enough, unless the serial loser and managerial charlatan Levein is removed, I'm simply not renewing.

I can't believe it has come to this as I have had a season ticket for over 30 years, but I'm so p@ssed off with this man that I simply can't face it any more. I will undoubtedly attend ad-hoc games but football isn't just about participating.....

In a real quandary over FOH payments as well. Mine are not the biggest payments, for what it is worth, but the way I feel about Budge's refusal to resolve this situation just now, this is becoming an issue for me. The thing is, the one clear thing this woman listened to over the Cathro shambles, was when large contributors started threatening to pull the plug.        

In my opinion this club is heading downhill fast at the moment. As long as the status-quo is maintained and the majority of those, who actually attend games regularly are ignored, we will go backwards. Attendances dropped under Levein the last time and it is happening all over again. What is almost as annoying, is that there is a number on here who couldn't care less about how many turn up at games as long as they think they can win an argument on a football forum. Supporters attending games is the heart and blood of any football club and we need to unite ours again. We are not some rotary club social, but a football club who are supposed to be trying to win football trophies.            

Sorry for offending those who are happy to settle with what they are seeing, but this is just not right.

I’m with you TMT. 

Was planning on renewing once the finance option was back but now I’ve seen Leveins on next season despite not doing anything to deserve it I’m not going to bother.  Way too expensive to go and just feel miserable. 

9 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

So because you thought Levein got his tactics right for once and we still lost Levein is the right man to continue managing Hearts. What planet are you on.

? not Earth.

You missed the comments about more signings and player recovery/less injuries. 

Do you think these two points will make us worse?  

Specifically, (and we can come back to this at the start of the season to see how your predictions have panned out) do you trust Levein, when he has cash and a focus - 4 new players, attacking type, to bring in good signings?  He had neither of these last Summer and Lafferty/Vanacek issue complicated things further. 

I believe he will get some top guys in and we will see a more forward thinking, more attractive team. 

Levein is staying. This season football was poor but I believe we will move significantly forward over the Summer. 

24 minutes ago, Sid said:

Specifically, (and we can come back to this at the start of the season to see how your predictions have panned out) do you trust Levein, when he has cash and a focus - 4 new players, attacking type, to bring in good signings?  He had neither of these last Summer and Lafferty/Vanacek issue complicated things further. 

I believe he will get some top guys in and we will see a more forward thinking, more attractive team. 

Levein is staying. This season football was poor but I believe we will move significantly forward over the Summer. 

But really your just hoping Levein gets the right signings and if he gets it right he'll have no more excuses if Hearts don't challenge for all 3 trophies. If he gets the signings wrong we will be stuck with players that will only cost us money for 2-3 years. And your also hoping his management improves which up till now has been poor.

You my friend, going by your post, are just keeping your fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

Winning on Saturday would have been the perfect ending to Levein's management career. I think he might well have announced his retirement in the wake of it and would have returned to the DoF role as a hero.

Losing the game makes it harder for him to give up the job but his frustration at how close he came to winning a trophy is not the right reason for him to stay on in the role. And it can't just be his decision anyway.

His game plan on Saturday was perfect and worked well for the first hour. The Haring/Bozanic sub was enforced and Bozanic put in several excellent set pieces so no complaints there. Wighton for Clare was the wrong decision and I'm not sure swapping Uche for MacLean was the right thing to do either. But he came very close to stopping the treble treble and deserves credit for that... although he did spend about 6 weeks coming up with his game plan for the Cup final having written off the last five or six league games!

Overall the last two seasons have been disappointing and at times incredibly frustrating to watch. A huge number of players signed and a lot of mistakes made in recruitment. Some very strange situations like the spat with Vanecek that could have been handled better. (Still convinced he could score goals for Hearts but probably not under Levein.) 

Ultimately for me the biggest problem is mentality. Levein is passionate about Hearts, dedicated to the club and a very competent manager. But somehow he lacks the x factor to instil a winning mentality into the players, the pride and determination not to allow anyone to beat us at Tynecastle, the confidence and expectation that we can go to Glasgow and win. 

His recent comments about just how relentless the season is and how exhausting it is preparing for so many games (as well as trying to do his DoF job) makes me think he needs to hand over the reins to someone with more energy and someone who hasn't already had a heart attack.

I renewed my season ticket weeks ago but would be a lot more excited about next season if someone else took over. What I want is someone in the same mould as Naismith. Not Naismith as he has no management experience. But someone with his attitude. No fear of the Old Firm. A proven winner who can instil that confidence and belief in others. Someone who is determined to win away to Hamilton in the pouring rain, or toward the end of the season when there is a chance of 4th rather than 6th, as well as in the so-called big games. 

Surprised you haven't mentioned injuries to key players as a mitigating factor.  What exactly happened with Vanecek and what could CL have done to handle it better?  My understanding is that we signed a decent player who allowed himself to go to the dogs,' fitness wise, after signing a FoC and CL was rightly annoyed.  Should we just have played him anyway or should he have got a boot up the backside and ordered to get himself fit?

Bazzas right boot

We need to improve on our league form. 

Is sacking CL the answer to that? 

The names thrown about on here would suggest not. 

Pressley, McCann, Hartley, Sergio even Robbo hardly guarantee success, most have a poorer record than CL in all honesty. 

If an outstanding candidate was out there and banging on the door then I'd be ok with CL being replaced as part of a grander, more progressive plan. 

The noises on here are just sack him and then hope for better, like they did when advocating replacing Robbie. Many posters wanted him gone, no consideration that things could get worse or to the longer term. 

If we get the correct 3/4 signings we will have a good team with good options from a decent squad size. 

CL has the players on board. 

The building blocks are in place. 

We must deliver next season, I'm confident under Craig we will. 

Craig in, but after a sixth place finish I can recognise the merit in considering to replacing him. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Inch Hearts
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The highlighted part gives the show away and severely dilutes the worth of your post.  There are many good managers fans would like to see at Tynecastle who have won nothing (eg Pochettino).

As for your last paragraph, it is arrogance on your part to think that anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with you is happy to settle with what we are seeing.  I, for one, was happy with the performance on Saturday when we had most of our injured players back and but for 2 avoidable errors (CL didn't make them) we could have been sitting this morning as Cup winners.

No one can predict the future but it is laughable to suggest we are going downhill fast.  You just need to consider the last 2 games alone when we have seen promising talent like C Smith, Irving, Hickey come in and acquit themselves very well, not to mention McDonald, Cochrane and Keena.  Add to that a fit Naisy, Halkett and 4 (supposedly) upgrade signings to go with Souttar, Berra, M Smith, Uche, Haring etc.  Mulraney and Edwards will be serious contenders too.  If we do indeed get 4 upgrade signings the biggest problem CL, or whoever is manager, will have is who to leave out, not who to put in

Pochatino won leagues in Argentina and cups in Spain.   

The last two games showed much promise, why not blend they players in earlier in the season in that case?  You can’t have it both ways, wither injuries ruined our season or promise has been shown?  Saturday showed the potential that we have even without Naisy and it was neglected this season until recently.

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Pochatino won leagues in Argentina and cups in Spain.   

The last two games showed much promise, why not blend they players in earlier in the season in that case?  You can’t have it both ways, wither injuries ruined our season or promise has been shown?  Saturday showed the potential that we have even without Naisy and it was neglected this season until recently.

As a player!

He also managed to play in a team Hearts beat in Bordeaux.

21 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

But really your just hoping Levein gets the right signings and if he gets it right he'll have no more excuses if Hearts don't challenge for all 3 trophies. If he gets the signings wrong we will be stuck with players that will only cost us money for 2-3 years. And your also hoping his management improves which up till now has been poor.

I am a glass half full guy but believe there is substance in my thoughts, not just blind hope. I have hated the football this season but don’t lay it all at Levein’s door. We will see but, equally, I don’t want long term duds and having to replace the manager and have to restructure again. I’m hoping against that. 

Phil Dunphy
15 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

We need to improve on our league form. 

Is sacking CL the answer to that? 

The names thrown about on here would suggest not. 

Pressley, McCann, Hartley, Sergio even Robbo hardly guarantee success, most have a poorer record than CL in all honesty. 

If an outstanding candidate was out there and banging on the door then I'd be ok with CL being replaced as part of a grander, more progressive plan. 

The noises on here are just sack him and then hope for better, like they did when advocating replacing Robbie. Many posters wanted him gone, no consideration that things could get worse or to the longer term. 

If we get the correct 3/4 signings we will have a good team with good options from a decent squad size. 

CL has the players on board. 

The building blocks are in place. 

We must deliver next season, I'm confident under Craig we will. 

Craig in, but after a sixth place finish I can recognise the merit in considering to replacing him. 

So because you can't think of someone else, we should just stick with what we've got?

****ing hell.

26 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

So are you that he gets it wrong so you can say I told you so.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

So because you can't think of someone else, we should just stick with what we've got?

****ing hell.

If you can't replace with better, then yes. 

Why would you replace with worse? 

That's a ****ing terrible plan. 

13 minutes ago, Sid said:

I am a glass half full guy but believe there is substance in my thoughts, not just blind hope. I have hated the football this season but don’t lay it all at Levein’s door. We will see but, equally, I don’t want long term duds and having to replace the manager and have to restructure again. I’m hoping against that. 

This is a potential problem and unless we promote from within this imaginary bootroom, it is one which will cost a lot of money which could be better spent on players eg Sergio had 2 loyal assistants and his own goalkeeping coach (Malcolm Webster)

15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Surprised you haven't mentioned injuries to key players as a mitigating factor.  What exactly happened with Vanecek and what could CL have done to handle it better?  My understanding is that we signed a decent player who allowed himself to go to the dogs,' fitness wise, after signing a FoC and CL was rightly annoyed.  Should we just have played him anyway or should he have got a boot up the backside and ordered to get himself fit?

Sorry I was aware it was a long post without adding even more! Yes we were really unlucky with injuries this season. We coped for a while then struggled and then when most were back didn't look the same team. Levein must get enormous credit for signing Naismith. On the other hand we have been overly reliant on Naismith.

On Vanecek...

1. He clearly impressed Levein enough for us to sign him so if he really isn't up to scratch, then the blame lies with the guy who signed him.

2. Levein wanted him in the summer but his club wouldn't let him leave early. He clearly believed we had enough strength in depth to cope without signing another striker and then let Lafferty go. But that was poor management because we ended up limping through to the winter break with MacLean our only fit forward. Levein kept promising that it would all be fine when Vanecek arrived in January.

3. Vanecek should have kept himself fit clearly. But e was still playing for his club on and off until a few weeks before he arrived so I don't really know how out of shape he could have been. But Hearts should have been monitoring that before he got here.

4. When he arrived his fitness was presumably assessed. If so and he was way off where he should have been, he shouldn't have been anywhere near the first team. Why was his fitness only discovered in a match when Levein subbed him after half an hour and then slated him in the press? I get that he wanted to teach him a lesson but I would have preferred that to be done in house. And all the stuff about Twitter... I was delighted the guy was so excited about coming to Hearts.

5. If he is still not fit now then what on earth are the coaches/physios/whoever doing? I'm assuming he is fit but Levein has frozen him out because he doesn't like his attitude. But to return to the first point, if he is fit but not deemed good enough (behind even Wighton!) then why did Levein sign him in the first place?

6. For what it's worth based on the few games I saw him play, the guy has ability and could score goals for us given a proper chance. But maybe he's not as good as we'd hoped. My frustration with Levein is that he persists with some guys, gives them loads of support and encourages them by playing them when they are struggling (Clare, Mulraney, Wighton for example) but others are frozen out completely. I've heard enough from ex-players to have formed the view that if Levein decides he doesn't like you, that's that and he's too stubborn and proud to back down.

23 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

****ing hell.

It's strange logic ain't it . 

10 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Are you saying there is no one better out there in football than Craig levein?

Inch Hearts
31 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

As a player!

He also managed to play in a team Hearts beat in Bordeaux.

Yes as a player he won trophies, what’s your point here in relation to CL having not won trophies? Not that I begrudge him one but again you just jump in with no idea what you’re on about.

Yes, I was at Tynie for the second leg, sure it was pissing down, again what’s your point? 

Phil Dunphy
14 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Do you have an extensive list of managers who would be interested in the job?

Inch Hearts
31 minutes ago, Sid said:

Yes, we know, you blame everything on injuries apart from Saturday without the same Steven Naismith we turned in a belter of a performance that was missing for months.  Kind of contradicts everything you’ve been banging on about for months that injuries was the problem when it clearly wasn’t as Saturday showed with Naisy and Uche out and a half fit Haring.  Let’s hope lessons are learned from what we can do when more positive like on Saturday instead of sweeping everything under the injury rug and having no idea what to do since January. 

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Ann Budge isn’t going to appoint anyone without the influence of people already at the club so the argument is null and void, it would be a rookie up and coming or someone like Terry McCann. I think Levein has to be given the chance to build on Saturday and give him the beginning of last season to his credit to go forward to next.  There’s no point in starting again at this point with loads of pre-made excuses as to why we end up 6th or worse.  Levein for all his work on and off the pitch deserves next season and I’m confident for some reason we will build on Saturday. 

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Inch Hearts said:

Ann Budge isn’t going to appoint anyone without the influence of people already at the club so the argument is null and void, it would be a rookie up and coming or someone like Terry McCann. I think Levein has to be given the chance to build on Saturday and give him the beginning of last season to his credit to go forward to next.  There’s no point in starting again at this point with loads of pre-made excuses as to why we end up 6th or worse.  Levein for all his work on and off the pitch deserves next season and I’m confident for some reason we will build on Saturday. 

Have you watched much of Hearts since November?

Since the start of November, Hearts won 7 league games. Oran Kearneys St Mirren also won 7. One good performance on Saturday doesn't undo the months of utter ****ing dogshit we've had to endure since Naismith hobbled off at Murrayfield. He doesn't deserve to be our manager next week, let alone next season.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Selective as always, Philip. 

I clearly said if there was an outstanding candidate available then I can see the merit in replacing him. 

If there is not, then I don't see the point in replacing him. I gave examples.

Sacking CL is only half a plan. 

I don't have the full list of candidates, in fact I have no list as there isn't even a vacancy. 

I do not want the Robbie to Cathro mistake repeated. 

Who would you replace him with? 

3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Yes, we know, you blame everything on injuries apart from Saturday without the same Steven Naismith we turned in a belter of a performance that was missing for months.  Kind of contradicts everything you’ve been banging on about for months that injuries was the problem when it clearly wasn’t as Saturday showed with Naisy and Uche out and a half fit Haring.  Let’s hope lessons are learned from what we can do when more positive like on Saturday instead of sweeping everything under the injury rug and having no idea what to do since January. 

Berra and Souttar have been poor on return from injury. It’s only the last couple of games they have been getting close to old form but I presume that’s irrelevant also. I don’t think Levein is perfect and if you have been following my posts, you will have seen me moan about back-passing, slow out of defence, poor timing of substitutions. 

I just see it that the injuries and Vanecek/Lafferty timing issues have been very difficult hurdles to overcome which others, like you, are wholly discounting. 

I think part of the reason we put on a better show this week was a few of the players coming back to form, helped by the rest some had. 

I agree Levein should have been able to get more out of the players he had available but not to the extent we rip it all up and start again. There are significant positives (Academy players, long term deals for core players, bit of budget for class players, dross - Salmon drooping if wage bill) and I think Levein can capitalise on this. 

23 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I've heard enough from ex-players to have formed the view that if Levein decides he doesn't like you, that's that and he's too stubborn and proud to back down.

That is a great summary of why CL should be sacked. Cast your mind back to when AB and CL took over. A few good players were quickly shown the door. Although money was put forward as the reason I always thought CL was settling a few old scores with certain individuals he didn’t get on with.

Phil Dunphy
5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Who would you replace him with? 

A candidate with experience of managing a club the size of Hearts and one, preferably, who's actually won something with said club.

Someone from outside Scotland.

1 hour ago, Sid said:

You hope and there is no evidence  or history to support your view.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

A candidate with experience of managing a club the size of Hearts and one, preferably, who's actually won something with said club.

Someone from outside Scotland.

So no names then. 

Your plan is sack Levein and hope we get someone better. 

That's not even a plan. 

I'd take a successful manager from a top flight team abroad as well. 

Not sure said manager exists, is in our price range and would want to come to Scotland tho. 

If it was said manager. It would be Be a punt as well and be a total rebuild. 

If it went wrong, the usual posters would be ripping him apart asking why we didn't go for a PHM  and/ or someone who knows Scottish football. 

Sack him after a season and repeat. 

It's tiresome. 

Phil Dunphy
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

So no names then. 

Since I'm not a mind reader, I wouldn't want to band names about that wouldn't even give the Hearts job a second glance.

Darren Moore was doing well with West Brom before they strangely gave him the boot. But I don't think he'd come to Scotland. Paulo Sergio won us a trophy through an incredibly tough time at the club. Imagine him with a club that has some actual stability. He'd love to come back here.

Paul Clement is another who had a tough time in England, might want a project like Hearts to rebuild his reputation. Ian Holloway is unemployed at the moment.

I wouldn't presume to know how many of them would even consider the Hearts job, but there's 4 names for you. Since you think it's my job to compile the shortlist.

EDIT: We sacked Cathro without having a direct replacement in the door behind him. Was that a poor decision? You seem to think we should stick with a manager who saw us win as many games since November as the team who managed to avoid relegation by winning a penalty shoot out. That's kinda funny, in all honesty.

Edited by Phil Dunphy

Since I'm not a mind reader, I wouldn't want to band names about that wouldn't even give the Hearts job a second glance.

Darren Moore was doing well with West Brom before they strangely gave him the boot. But I don't think he'd come to Scotland. Paulo Sergio won us a trophy through an incredibly tough time at the club. Imagine him with a club that has some actual stability. He'd love to come back here.

Paul Clement is another who had a tough time in England, might want a project like Hearts to rebuild his reputation. Ian Holloway is unemployed at the moment.

I wouldn't presume to know how many of them would even consider the Hearts job, but there's 4 names for you. Since you think it's my job to compile the shortlist.

EDIT: We sacked Cathro without having a direct replacement in the door behind him. Was that a poor decision?

The answer was always along the corridor though

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Morph said:

The answer was always along the corridor though

If the plan was always to sack Cathro and just replace him with Levein, without even considering incoming applications, then that's narcissism at its most obvious.

33 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Sorry I was aware it was a long post without adding even more! Yes we were really unlucky with injuries this season. We coped for a while then struggled and then when most were back didn't look the same team. Levein must get enormous credit for signing Naismith. On the other hand we have been overly reliant on Naismith.

On Vanecek...

1. He clearly impressed Levein enough for us to sign him so if he really isn't up to scratch, then the blame lies with the guy who signed him.

2. Levein wanted him in the summer but his club wouldn't let him leave early. He clearly believed we had enough strength in depth to cope without signing another striker and then let Lafferty go. But that was poor management because we ended up limping through to the winter break with MacLean our only fit forward. Levein kept promising that it would all be fine when Vanecek arrived in January.

3. Vanecek should have kept himself fit clearly. But e was still playing for his club on and off until a few weeks before he arrived so I don't really know how out of shape he could have been. But Hearts should have been monitoring that before he got here.

4. When he arrived his fitness was presumably assessed. If so and he was way off where he should have been, he shouldn't have been anywhere near the first team. Why was his fitness only discovered in a match when Levein subbed him after half an hour and then slated him in the press? I get that he wanted to teach him a lesson but I would have preferred that to be done in house. And all the stuff about Twitter... I was delighted the guy was so excited about coming to Hearts.

5. If he is still not fit now then what on earth are the coaches/physios/whoever doing? I'm assuming he is fit but Levein has frozen him out because he doesn't like his attitude. But to return to the first point, if he is fit but not deemed good enough (behind even Wighton!) then why did Levein sign him in the first place?

6. For what it's worth based on the few games I saw him play, the guy has ability and could score goals for us given a proper chance. But maybe he's not as good as we'd hoped. My frustration with Levein is that he persists with some guys, gives them loads of support and encourages them by playing them when they are struggling (Clare, Mulraney, Wighton for example) but others are frozen out completely. I've heard enough from ex-players to have formed the view that if Levein decides he doesn't like you, that's that and he's too stubborn and proud to back down.

1.  Correct. You sign a player. You are responsible. However, this wasn’t a “project”. This was a player with credentials scoring goals and his club wouldn’t let him go because of this. 

2. Timing was they agreed he could go, Levein sold Lafferty. They upped the price. Too late to unravel. 

3. You could see how unfit he was and the amount of weight he put on had been quoted. We should have had a club rep in Thailand checking his fluid intake, diet and exercise routine? 

4. Difficult to tell how off the pace for match fitness he was without trying him out. Tried him. Hooked him. 

5. Clearly it’s not that our team haven’t managed to get him fit. There must be some other underlying issue. (Rumours on this around blow-out Easter days off, attitude/application but that’s speculation). There must be some reason. Maybe never know. Maybe come out in Summer when he goes. Or May come good for next season. Who know’s 

6. ex-player rumours? One thing which comes out very strongly positively for most ex-players is Levein’s positive influence.  Could these be ones who didn’t make the grade?  

Only thing we know fir certain. As a professional footballer, Vanecek let himself down massively on moving club and negative first impressions take a lot of reversing. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its a consumer choice.

Personally I wouldn't be giving up my seat or club but then that's just me. Not a moaner, not a happy clapper, just a Hearts fan. If I want to do something I am pretty sure that glass fronted building at the end of matches will be a pretty good place to lose my shit with others, and be able to understand by watching the matches what is going right or indeed wrong.

Pretty hard to ignore a gathering on Foundation Plaza if it gets to that point.

Anyway, I don't think it will. Endless injuries and dodgy calls really did scupper that season, along with Leveins inability to lift it out of the doldrums.

Given a decent run of luck, well I witnessed with my own eyes how good it can be. Not ready to cut off my favourite activity, despite the awful end to the league season and the general malaise. 

Nor would I be begging any half hearted people to renew.

More positivity we have in the stadium for these kids the better, 14k can make quite a racket. Pretty sure it will rise beyond that as an average, match day sales will also rise, when they all come back.

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

If the plan was always to sack Cathro and just replace him with Levein, without even considering incoming applications, then that's narcissism at its most obvious.

Nah I’m just being a wideo. 

We were inundated with applications after Cathro according to budge though.  Not sure if we’re still as appealing considering we’re on the back of 2 6th place finishes and no Europe but we’re clearly a lucrative club for managers at a certain level.  Paulo Sergio wanted it and wasn’t even given the courtesy of a response FFS. 

There’s no point in even talking to someone who believes Craig levein is as good as it gets for Hearts. 

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

But we didn't. From what we could gather Dougie Freedman was the preferred candidate but opted to take a gig in the EPL. 

Phil Dunphy
2 minutes ago, Morph said:

Nah I’m just being a wideo. 

We were inundated with applications after Cathro according to budge though.  Not sure if we’re still as appealing considering we’re on the back of 2 6th place finishes and no Europe but we’re clearly a lucrative club for managers at a certain level.  Paulo Sergio wanted it and wasn’t even given the courtesy of a response FFS. 

There’s no point in even talking to someone who believes Craig levein is as good as it gets for Hearts. 

Not even giving PS the courtesy of a response is a disgrace, in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

EDIT: We sacked Cathro without having a direct replacement in the door behind him. Was that a poor decision? You seem to think we should stick with a manager who saw us win as many games since November as the team who managed to avoid relegation by winning a penalty shoot out. That's kinda funny, in all honesty.

It should be easy to come up with names. We’re not going to be paying the compensation any manager with a good reputation will require.

So look at the list of unemployed managers. Think about which ones would take a job this size. If a bigger name, who would really be up for it or who would use it to get their name back in the papers? There’s your main manager pool. Aside from that look at our internal coaches as those are the other contenders, along with former players who are managers at lower league clubs.

It should be very easy to put forward some realistic names with a rationale. Not just they’re unemployed or might want a project. Haud me back.

Edited by Guest

Winning the Cup on Saturday would have been superb but it still wouldn't have convinced me that CL is doing a good job. 

The "everything else (that you dumb fans can't see) is brilliant" routine is a joke. It's what's on the pitch, in games now, that count and not just those in some faraway utopian future we'll never see. I'm tired of promises and plans that never/rarely come to fruition. Kilmarnock didn't need them. They simply appointed well in the here and now and made progression that's been immediate and clear to see. 

A long term plan that lay foundations for success would be the ideal for any club. But the chances of having the right man there to start it is a long shot and there has to come a point when persisting with something that brings no progression must stop.

Promises on the never, never won't bring silverware to Tynecastle. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not even giving PS the courtesy of a response is a disgrace, in my opinion.

Now you see I would have thought that was quite normal to be honest in football.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

It should be easy to come up with names. We’re not going to be paying the compensation any manager with a good reputation will require.

So look at the list of unemployed managers. Think about which ones would take a job this size. If a bigger name, who would really be up for it or who would use it to get their name back in the papers? There’s your main manager pool. Aside from that look at our internal coaches as those are the other contenders, along with former players who are managers at lower league clubs.

It should be very easy to put forward some realistic names.

Transfermarkt has a section for unemployed managers, listing their last club and their points per game %. That's where I got the names of the three other than Paulo Sergio.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Now you see I would have thought that was quite normal to be honest in football.

Not for a cup winning manager.

And certainly not for the manager who won THAT cup final either.

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Transfermarkt has a section for unemployed managers, listing their last club and their points per game %. That's where I got the names of the three other than Paulo Sergio.

Yeah but does it say their style of play, their record bring youngsters through. Robbie Neilson had a great % with us, let’s bring him back.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Every example you gave is pretty much the opposite from what you posted earlier (successful, foreign manager) 

Again, I clearly stated if an outstanding candidate become available I'd happily go with it so I'm not happy just to stick with what we've got, I can however see the positives by doing that and not appointing just for the sake of change, any change. 

Clement, the boy from Palace( Houghton)?) , Moyes off the top of my head examples that would  probably tick that box for me. 

Likley outwith our pay grade tho. 

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah but does it say their style of play, their record bring youngsters through. Robbie Neilson had a great % with us, let’s bring him back.

No, it doesn't.

But that's what the interview process is for. To discuss philosophy.

Jambof3tornado
38 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Have you watched much of Hearts since November?

Since the start of November, Hearts won 7 league games. Oran Kearneys St Mirren also won 7. One good performance on Saturday doesn't undo the months of utter ****ing dogshit we've had to endure since Naismith hobbled off at Murrayfield. He doesn't deserve to be our manager next week, let alone next season.

This, but I wont cut my nose off to spite my face if Levein stays.

I will be on here regularly to say told you so, when we fail to improve.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Every example you gave is pretty much the opposite from what you posted earlier (successful, foreign manager) 

Again, I clearly stated if an outstanding candidate become available I'd happily go with it so I'm not happy just to stick with what we've got, I can however see the positives by doing that and not appointing just for the sake of change, any change. 

Clement, the boy from Palace( Houghton)?) , Moyes off the top of my head examples that would  probably tick that box for me. 

Likley outwith our pay grade tho. 

I never said foreign.

I said from outside Scotland.

• davemclaren locked this topic