Levein In!

R08813

Libertarian
8 hours ago, R08813 said:

One of the most noticeable aspects of the game today was that the tactics were absolutely spot on. The pressing play from the players had Celtic on the back foot for the majority of the game, and say what you want, what I saw today was a team keen to put his plan into action. This has been a sore season in many respects, losing our talisman for the majority of the season and being without key players for much of the rest; despite this and the impact it inevitably had on form due to the difficulty of building momentum, Craig has done enough to convince me at least that with one or two more signings and a good chance to allow the squad to recover, we will see a very different league form next season. This has been a season of highs and lows, but Craig is the right man to get us firing next season. Onwards and upwards. 

Agree with pretty much everything you say, however Levein's health scare earlier in the season may mean that he decides to step down from the managers role. Everyone knows our form dipped alarmingly with the horrific record of injuries this season but the dip in form also coincided with Craig Levein's health scare. There have been post-match interviews this season where he has looked absolutely knackered. I think that if he steps down it will be because of his health.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• soonbe110

letsmakesomenoise
9 hours ago, Australis...... said:

Better today, but where do these pressing game performances go when we are playing away at places like Ross County, Hamilton and Motherwell.

I like Levein, but at too many away games we look tired, predictable and lethargic. 

Honestly believe, if he is here next season we will be seeing the same performances.

We are better when we need to play the pressing, harrying game.  Devoid of all ideas when it is incumbent upon us to score, and the other team is pressing us.  We have kack all attacking flair.  How many times did a promising attack start off yesterday, get to Djoum who crapped it, turned round and passed back to Berra who was boxed in, and the ball ended up back at Bobby. Too many! ?

Hearts1975

The one result and performance doesn’t do enough for me ... I still think a change and freshen up within the football dept although it means dismantling a lot of things is the best thing for the club 

the Academy is ultra important - Ann could do worse than give that gig to CL on the basis he has full run of the academy but not the 1st team. She could do a lot worse. New manager is told he has to play youngsters from the academy but that’s it, the new man is left alone and accountable for what happens 1st Team wise 

that all said I’m still so gutted about that result yesterday given the performance.

And I really feel so sorry for big Craig and the players not getting to lift the cup. He deserved to do that yesterday and it would have been so emotional if he had done.

Heart Attack in the same season. Don’t even bother to tell me for a second that he doesn’t care as that is absolute bullshit. Performance is debatable but what isn’t debatable is that the guy is a Hearts man through and through 

change moving forward, absolutely, but I am still full of respect and admiration for the team and how Craig set us up yesterday. 

As an FYI - Craig want straight up to Lennon after the final whistle and gave him a few words of congratulations. That must have been the last thing he wanted to do at that point was look into that dispicable wee runts face but he still had the class to do it 

Class - the one word that Lennon doesn’t understand 

10 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

We are better when we need to play the pressing, harrying game.  Devoid of all ideas when it is incumbent upon us to score, and the other team is pressing us.  We have kack all attacking flair.  How many times did a promising attack start off yesterday, get to Djoum who crapped it, turned round and passed back to Berra who was boxed in, and the ball ended up back at Bobby. Too many! ?

That was the only negative yesterday, apart from scoreline, too many times we would turn around from a good position and knock it all the way back, that is done under instruction. I understand keeping possession but when you have a throw in 25yards from goal or free kick 35 yards out you are not wanting to see it passed all the way back to the central defenders. It was only when chasing the game at the end we tried to get it in the box and even then it was laboured.

One game where we competed again Celtic does not make up for all the other pish, win or lose it was and it is time for a change. 

Whichever way it goes, I'm ok with.

I like Levein. Under his stewardship as DOF we did very well until Cathro came in - a move we mostly all wanted.

This season though, after November we've been barely better than Dundee.

That is embarrassing.

Naismith or not, that is form that gets a manager sacked.

If Levein stays on, fine.

If he goes, also fine.

Can honestly say I’ve never wanted to see anyone lift that trophy more than him.

Regardless of yesterday I think it’s still time to move on. The footballs not been good enough since October and we’ve finished miles off of the European spots again. He sets us up well against Celtic but against the other teams we’ve looked slow, lethargic, predictable and toothless.

He got us back to hampden and made us dream again after everything we went through in 2013 and I can’t thank him enough for that but we need a change. 

27 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

the Academy is ultra important - Ann could do worse than give that gig to CL on the basis he has full run of the academy but not the 1st team. She could do a lot worse. New manager is told he has to play youngsters from the academy but that’s it, the new man is left alone and accountable for what happens 1st Team wise 

Best case scenario imo

Absolute Scenes
10 hours ago, bighalders said:

No just no 6th 6th so no never I hope we announce 27th may bye bye Craig for the love of God it must be so

Oofft 

not a fan of punctuation eh?

Nookie Bear
5 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

? **** off your reliable sources have had us signing about 40 players and we’ve signed none. You’re a Hibs ***** IMO.

It’s embarrassing. 

Nookie Bear
44 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

We are also better when the opposition come into us rather than just sit in. We have zero idea on how to break down a well-organised defence. 

8 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Idiots hounded out Neilson for the opposite 

Ftfy

Hampden Demolition

Good performance yesterday but we can’t forget the last 6 months and the league form. I like Craig but unfortunately he has got it wrong more times this season that he’s got it right.  Change still required to progress I feel.

merseyjambo

We can play a pressing game against teams that will come out and play but we can’t against the numerous teams in this league that will sit in.

Tactically we were good but I can’t help but feel that we were aided by the fact Lennon is a poor manager and our games against him have shown that. 

Nothing i saw yesterday would make me change my mind about wanting a new man in charge for next season

Mr Kipling

It's time for a change, management wise. Craig Levein did bring us back to Hampden and we played our hearts out. However, one good game (and the odd other) since January is simply not good enough. I appreciate we have had injuries etc, but a team and squad of our size should be able to cope in one way or another. Let's face it, every single team on earth has to cope with injuries, although we haven't. 

Time for someone new in with fresh ideas. It would be good if this was sooner rather than later, to give the new manager a pre season and an opportunity to bring in new faces.

I can't help wondering though that the new manager will be selected from within the club, which would not be great. Just my thoughts though.

Brauhauser2012
9 hours ago, R08813 said:

Well that's what a broken clock is right twice a day means ?

What he's saying is that statistically even the worst manager will get decisions right. Nothing about coincidences. We started so well but unravelled after the substitutions. That could've been a coincidence but I don't think so.

15 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Good performance yesterday but we can’t forget the last 6 months and the league form. I like Craig but unfortunately he has got it wrong more times this season that he’s got it right.  Change still required to progress I feel.

Agreed.

The football has been chronic for most of the season and a lot of his dealings in the transfer market have to be seriously questioned- Vanacek and Wighton for example. He also never addressed some glaringly obviously problems with the squad. (Lack of wingers, a box to box midfielder and a lack of pace).

I've gone between wanting change or having him stay. He is a true Hearts man  and I think he deserves the start of the season - few new players in,no major injuries and no health scares for himself. If in the first few months the football is still as boring and nothings really changed then he will have run out of goodwill. 

bringonthesevco
Just now, bigdav said:

I've gone between wanting change or having him stay. He is a true Hearts man  and I think he deserves the start of the season - few new players in,no major injuries and no health scares for himself. If in the first few months the football is still as boring and nothings really changed then he will have run out of goodwill. 

Never understand this argument , give him the start of the season (and the transfer window) and then get rid meaning a new manager has no chance to bring in players and is stuck with Levein signings ...

if we’re changing (and I really Hope we are) then the time to do it is now ....

we cant let the fact that we did ok today change that , our average players played very well but most of them remain average players .

Facts. First 10 games =25 points Lafferty sold.Next 28 games=26 points.With the average over 28 games to include first 10 games =35 points for season.Relegation is a real threat next season.

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, stirlo said:

The problem has not generally been Levein's tactics IMO but more so some of the signings. Not having a decent backup for Steven Naismith has been the one thing that has cost has more than anything this season - the statistics tell their own story on that. We desperately need a quality number 10. They're not easy to find - but that's the one thing we need more than anything. 

If we are after Jamie Walker - and that's what I heard last night - then he is our back up number 10 for Naismith. Connor Smith is another option. 

FWIW I still think he will go but I wouldn't be disappointed if he saw out his contract.

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, Julie1957 said:

Facts. First 10 games =25 points Lafferty sold.Next 28 games=26 points.With the average over 28 games to include first 10 games =35 points for season.Relegation is a real threat next season.

It really isn't. You are just being silly.

Jambof3tornado
22 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

It's time for a change, management wise. Craig Levein did bring us back to Hampden and we played our hearts out. However, one good game (and the odd other) since January is simply not good enough. I appreciate we have had injuries etc, but a team and squad of our size should be able to cope in one way or another. Let's face it, every single team on earth has to cope with injuries, although we haven't. 

Time for someone new in with fresh ideas. It would be good if this was sooner rather than later, to give the new manager a pre season and an opportunity to bring in new faces.

I can't help wondering though that the new manager will be selected from within the club, which would not be great. Just my thoughts though.

Nobody at the club is ready to step up so it will be from outwith.

I’d be quite happy for him to remain at the club. It wouldn’t feel right yesterday being his last involvement with the club.

I think he’ll remain in position and there will be significant changes beneath him.

11 hours ago, R08813 said:

One of the most noticeable aspects of the game today was that the tactics were absolutely spot on. The pressing play from the players had Celtic on the back foot for the majority of the game, and say what you want, what I saw today was a team keen to put his plan into action. This has been a sore season in many respects, losing our talisman for the majority of the season and being without key players for much of the rest; despite this and the impact it inevitably had on form due to the difficulty of building momentum, Craig has done enough to convince me at least that with one or two more signings and a good chance to allow the squad to recover, we will see a very different league form next season. This has been a season of highs and lows, but Craig is the right man to get us firing next season. Onwards and upwards. 

No he’s not. We need a change now. Was hugely proud of the team yesterday. But why he’s only started playing Edwards for the last month is beyond me. Leveins a dinosaur and needs to go. 

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

The one result and performance doesn’t do enough for me ... I still think a change and freshen up within the football dept although it means dismantling a lot of things is the best thing for the club 

that all said I’m still so gutted about that result yesterday given the performance.

And I really feel so sorry for big Craig and the players not getting to lift the cup. He deserved to do that yesterday and it would have been so emotional if he had done.

Heart Attack in the same season. Don’t even bother to tell me for a second that he doesn’t care as that is absolute bullshit. Performance is debatable but what isn’t debatable is that the guy is a Hearts man through and through 

change moving forward, absolutely, but I am still full of respect and admiration for the team and how Craig set us up yesterday. 

As an FYI - Craig want straight up to Lennon after the final whistle and gave him a few words of congratulations. That must have been the last thing he wanted to do at that point was look into that dispicable wee runts face but he still had the class to do it 

Class - the one word that Lennon doesn’t understand 

Great post. Agree with all of it - especially the last bit ?

The whole situation has been like spinning plates. We have had far too many spinning at the same time in all areas : stand (all bits of it - build, fit out, funding, planning restaurant etc) nursery, pub, ticket office, staff, academy restructure, replace pitch, team management, playing staff (recruitment and managing excessive injuries and weighted to key players) and more.  

Over the last few seasons, the club has put massive effort in all areas, with a severely restricted budget. Ann has admitted that they took on too much, too quickly and gave examples of putting some of the tasks to the side (eg top floor of new stand) to try and cope. 

I believe we are pretty much looking at one plate spinning next season - team on the pitch. 

Stand is pretty much there, Academy infrastructure there and first real graduates starting to peak through. Pitch done and looking great. Significant turnover of playing staff last season and long term sign-up of spine of team sorted.  

We have brought in significantly greater revenues than budgeted for. Loss of a place or two in the league is less than the cup runs we have had and crowds have been pretty strong. Player budget will be there. 

I think we need stability this Summer with a focus on bringing in 2-3 first team players better than we have. Not a new manager to review the whole squad and alter to his preferred structure through wholesale changes again. 

we give Levein the Summer signings and up til December to prove his worth with one objective only and all the help to focus on it. The team on the park. Results and performances. That all. 

One plate to spin. 

Just know if Levein stays when we renew our season tickets we can expect another season of pash poor away performances.

Stopped going to away games over 20 years ago, and I feel so sorry for the fans who travel away each game now.

The policy seems to be don't lose a goal instead of go and score a goal, especially away from home, Levien worries too much about our opponents rather than making them worry about us.

17 minutes ago, Sid said:

The whole situation has been like spinning plates. We have had far too many spinning at the same time in all areas : stand (all bits of it - build, fit out, funding, planning restaurant etc) nursery, pub, ticket office, staff, academy restructure, replace pitch, team management, playing staff (recruitment and managing excessive injuries and weighted to key players) and more.  

Over the last few seasons, the club has put massive effort in all areas, with a severely restricted budget. Ann has admitted that they took on too much, too quickly and gave examples of putting some of the tasks to the side (eg top floor of new stand) to try and cope. 

I believe we are pretty much looking at one plate spinning next season - team on the pitch. 

Stand is pretty much there, Academy infrastructure there and first real graduates starting to peak through. Pitch done and looking great. Significant turnover of playing staff last season and long term sign-up of spine of team sorted.  

We have brought in sirrgnificantly greater revenues than budgeted for. Loss of a place or two in the league is less than the cup runs we have had and crowds have been pretty strong. Player budget will be there. 

I think we need stability this Summer with a focus on bringing in 2-3 first team players better than we have. Not a new manager to review the whole squad and alter to his preferred structure through wholesale changes again. 

we give Levein the Summer signings and up til December to prove his worth with one objective only and all the help to focus on it. The team on the park. Results and performances. That all. 

One plate to spin. 

I am sure that plan sits well with a lot of fans (myself included)

I have a big question mark though - if we wait till December and we get the same results we have had since January, then a new manager would be facing a relegation battle. Probably unlikely I know but still a tangible risk in that strategy.We have been poor for a lot longer than we were good.

1 hour ago, Mr Kipling said:

That's right. We need a manager who doesn't allow his best players to get injured.

22 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Really hope the rumours are true, and Levein is staying on.

You’ve made that up. 

Again. 

2 minutes ago, Hercules said:

You’ve made that up. 

Again. 

I read the rumours on here. Please don’t accuse me of lying. Thanks.

We need to get a new manager in and also let them bring in their own back room team. People wanting to keep Levein just because they can't think of an alternative are misguided. Both Hibs and particularly Kilmarnock have brought in good managers who have done well for them. Just because the fans cannot think of a suitable replacement doesn't mean that we should stick with the current manager. Using the cup final performance as evidence is not enough. If we'd have been playing well over the last two months and winning games then the confidence of the players would have been higher and we might just have had enough to win yesterday, as it was we were on a poor run of form and yes the manager got the tactics right and the team played well but ultimately it was not enough. Even if we'd won yesterday I'd still be wanting to change manager. This "he's a proper hearts man" logic doesn't mean anything either. We're all proper hearts men/women who want the team to do well but it means nothing. There are plenty of successful teams who's managers have had zero affiliation to the club. We are a big Scottish club and I firmly believe that we would get some pretty big names applying if the job becomes available and as I said earlier just because someone can't think of anyone they'd want to replace Levein with doesn't mean we should stick with him and I don't think we should be promoting from within either.

Let the dust and emotion of yesterday settle first before deciding. At the end of the day we still got beat

Portable Badger
50 minutes ago, Sid said:

We have brought in significantly greater revenues than budgeted for. Loss of a place or two in the league is less than the cup runs we have had and crowds have been pretty strong. Player budget will be there. 

One plate to spin. 

Totally agree with your points and conclusion

gashauskis9

Everything else aside, in isolation, a 16 year old made only his 2nd start, in a cup final v the best team in the country, in front of 50k and absolutely strolled it.  Won’t be long before the bids come in, his potential is off the chart.  Technically, he’s miles ahead of Garrucio and Burns.

That for me is the long term difference Levein will make for us.  Whether he should stay in the dugout, I’m not sure, still a bit conflicted after yesterday, but those calling for him to leave the club completely are miles off.

1 hour ago, Julie1957 said:

Not really. 

First 10 games Naismith fit and playing. Next 28 games Naismith missing. 

Lafferty only played 2/3 games, left before end August

At least get your facts right before slavering about relegation. 

Edited by soonbe110

One other point. 

People talk about Levein’s “preferred” style of play : - boring, keep ball by passing backwards, contain other teams - and he’s delivered that in spades this year. 

But if you listen to him gushing about how confident and positive the Academy boys play and his stated desire to bring in 2-3 forward-thinking “flare” players further forward, and his inability to buy such players previously, I think this transfer window may see us improve where we all want to and improve the type of football we want to see. 

We might then see the best from him which we haven’t seen to date. 

Maybe the fact he was a defender means he thinks and builds from the back and the last bit to build is attack? 

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Nobody at the club is ready to step up so it will be from outwith.

Some from within the club may step out rather than step up. 

RustyRightPeg

If you were a neutral who had very little experience of watching a Levein Hearts team you'd be wondering what the issue is. My view on this is that he's had 5 odd weeks to prepare for this match, on what on paper is a very predictable Celtic team. We had a very specific gameplan yesterday stopping their strengths and making them play through their weaknesses (Hayes) and it showed. I'm almost inclined to say he nailed it yesterday tactics wise for that exact reason.

My issue is on a week by week basis. He struggles to set us up to win comprehensively over teams like Livi or Hamilton. I've no idea why that is, but it has been the reason he hasn't succeeded more over both stints at us. 

Personally I think his race is run. I'd love to see a young gaffer, with fresh ideas who can get the best out of our strengths.

1 hour ago, Hercules said:

No he’s not. We need a change now. Was hugely proud of the team yesterday. But why he’s only started playing Edwards for the last month is beyond me. Leveins a dinosaur and needs to go. 

Because he has been playing for the reserves like a donkey, an anonymous donkey. 

19 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Because he has been playing for the reserves like a donkey, an anonymous donkey. 

He reminds me a bit of Milincowicz. Bit of a headless chicken. Pops up in strange places with good tackle, goal! Etc. Not sure if he’s playing to team game plan or his own!  

That said, added a bit of excitement and energy to the team. 

I'd rather he'd had the opportunity to leave on a high by winning the cup yesterday but it wasn't to be.  He is not the person to take us forward.  This season has been awful since October.  The league form was ignored in favour of a cup final appearance (after a dream draw in every round).

I don't like him as a manager but I give him credit for his tactics yesterday - disrupt, spoil and niggle was the way to approach the game.  We just scored too early.  It would have been better to go 1-0 up with 10 mins to go rather than 10 mins into the second half.  Great club servant and PHM but his trophy cabinet shows nothing but 2nd places.  Time to move on.

Jambof3tornado
22 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I'll stick my mortgage on Naismith being player manager next season

Really not looking forward to that as its either going to be great or its going to fail miserably and is a bit experimental-ish once more.

If he is player manager it will certainly be exciting, but only if CL moves totally away from the 1st team to focus on bringing the best youngsters through our academy.

Holyrood_Hearts

The OP is having a laugh surely. Yeah the manager & players should be proud of yesterday without getting the desired result but where’s that been for the last 6-7 months? 

38 minutes ago, Sid said:

He reminds me a bit of Milincowicz. Bit of a headless chicken. Pops up in strange places with good tackle, goal! Etc. Not sure if he’s playing to team game plan or his own!  

That said, added a bit of excitement and energy to the team. 

He did yesterday. 

Looking forward to another season of dreadful football with no attacking flare. Lump the ball up the park but hey, at least we will be organised at the back and can work towards another 6th place finish. ?

/S

5 hours ago, Hearts Daft said:

Agree with pretty much everything you say, however Levein's health scare earlier in the season may mean that he decides to step down from the managers role. Everyone knows our form dipped alarmingly with the horrific record of injuries this season but the dip in form also coincided with Craig Levein's health scare. There have been post-match interviews this season where he has looked absolutely knackered. I think that if he steps down it will be because of his health.

I think you could be right there. His health has to come first and if there's any risk at all of aggravating the condition with another season then he should step back. I was amazed at the time with how quickly he actually did come back... 

• davemclaren locked this topic