Levein In!

R08813

One of the most noticeable aspects of the game today was that the tactics were absolutely spot on. The pressing play from the players had Celtic on the back foot for the majority of the game, and say what you want, what I saw today was a team keen to put his plan into action. This has been a sore season in many respects, losing our talisman for the majority of the season and being without key players for much of the rest; despite this and the impact it inevitably had on form due to the difficulty of building momentum, Craig has done enough to convince me at least that with one or two more signings and a good chance to allow the squad to recover, we will see a very different league form next season. This has been a season of highs and lows, but Craig is the right man to get us firing next season. Onwards and upwards. 

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• soonbe110

19/05/2012

As much as today was improved I can’t help but think his time is up. We can’t forget about the past 6 months we have been pish. I would give him next season if he promised to buy a couple of decent wingers, goalscoring midfielder and a couple of decent strikers. Otherwise we will continue to watch narrow slow clueless football next season

I do think it's time for the team and management to be refreshed but CL got it absolutely spot on today. 

And I know it's been trotted out a gazillion times but he has had absolutely no luck this season with our injury record. Not one person here was complaining before they kicked in and everything started unravelling. ****, even CL himself had a heart attack! Something a lot of supporters would do well to remember. 

I think it's in everyone's interests if he moves back upstairs or steps down completely. But I thank him for getting us to Hampden today and after a tough few months our support seems united once again. That's a good way to bow out if you ask me. 

Despite CLs poor record against the OF I still have faith in him in certain matches to set the team up with great tactics to stifle the opposition. He did that today. 

What there is no evidence of whatsoever is Levein being able to put a team out to impose ourselves on the other 9 teams in the league, to create chances, to score goals and to play attacking football. 

This is what must change and improve. Decent performance against the OF in Glasgow, like today, actually tell us nothing. 

Whoever is in charge next season, we need to stop tinkering and changing and worrying about the opposition. Impose our style on the opposition and let them worry about our forward thinking players. 

tartofmidlothian

This. It's also worth reminding people about his serious health scare last year, and how well he did to get back and keep the ship steady.

With a couple of disclaimers. Our summer signings need to include a couple of guys with the experience to hit the ground running, I think we've been over-reliant on 'projects' like Clare, Wighton, the young lads and now Edwards this season, as well as punts from other leagues like Lee and Bozanic, and guys who are there for their experience - mainly Maclean but also Hughes.

Also, there can't be any ****ing about or excuses next season. We need to be right there in contention for at least the top four all the way, especially with Clarke gone. I love Craig Levein and I think good managers should be given time, but a lot of the fan's patience has been used up this season. We need to start seeing our loyalty and investment is going towards a team which is determined to push on and achieve things.

The Comedian

It's bewildering folk saw enough in a defeat today that Levein should get next season! 

It should have been ten
19 minutes ago, R08813 said:

One of the most noticeable aspects of the game today was that the tactics were absolutely spot on. The pressing play from the players had Celtic on the back foot for the majority of the game, and say what you want, what I saw today was a team keen to put his plan into action. This has been a sore season in many respects, losing our talisman for the majority of the season and being without key players for much of the rest; despite this and the impact it inevitably had on form due to the difficulty of building momentum, Craig has done enough to convince me at least that with one or two more signings and a good chance to allow the squad to recover, we will see a very different league form next season. This has been a season of highs and lows, but Craig is the right man to get us firing next season. Onwards and upwards. 

This! :thumb:

kingantti1874

Have to admit I feel confused with this one. If we played like we did today more often I wouldn’t feel confused. 

tartofmidlothian
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Have to admit I feel confused with this one. If we played like we did today more often I wouldn’t feel confused. 

:spoton:

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, The Comedian said:

It's bewildering folk saw enough in a defeat today that Levein should get next season! 

Players rose to the occasion today.

Still time for change.

1 minute ago, tartofmidlothian said:

This. It's also worth reminding people about his serious health scare last year, and how well he did to get back and keep the ship steady.

With a couple of disclaimers. Our summer signings need to include a couple of guys with the experience to hit the ground running, I think we've been over-reliant on 'projects' like Clare, Wighton, the young lads and now Edwards this season, as well as punts from other leagues like Lee and Bozanic, and guys who are there for their experience - mainly Maclean but also Hughes.

Also, there can't be any ****ing about or excuses next season. We need to be right there in contention for at least the top four all the way, especially with Clarke gone. I love Craig Levein and I think good managers should be given time, but a lot of the fan's patience has been used up this season. We need to start seeing our loyalty and investment is going towards a team which is determined to push on and achieve things.

I've been demanding he go, but today gave me a bit of food for thought. 

He brought in a shedload of players over the summer and we hit a very rough patch. I think we now have the makings of a very good squad but some work is needed. He's started the journey to get us to that point, so I think giving him to December is fair, and if we're regressing then the necessary action can be taken. 

We absolutely need to see an improvement on the entertainment side of the football and ultimately the results side too.

Very few managers can build a team in one season, give him another to add the finishing touches. If we're still garbage then off he goes. 

The Gorgie

Bringing wighton on was enough to say no thanks for next season. Would loved for him to get his hands on the cup but not to be.

bighalders

No just no 6th 6th so no never I hope we announce 27th may bye bye Craig for the love of God it must be so

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

?

No.

Only playing well in finals and derbys is NOT acceptable. 

No.

Only turn up because it's a cup final. When you're getting pumped off Livingston, Dundee and St. Mirren it's time to go. 

thegreatsd

I hope he stays on as well. Next season we are going to have for the first time in years a bit of stability.

We’ve got the majority of our best players signed on big deals. A few others to come in to add to the excellent Halkett signing. Some of the youngsters showing some real promise. Our stadium nearing completion along with a good financial outlook once it is finally done. I also love having big jambos in all the key positions. They know what it’s all about. A couple of good cup runs and a tremendous start to the league campaign is decent and something to build on. We need to just show a bit more patience and everything will be good. I’m sure of it.

A bit gutted tonight but still proud of my team. We will get them next year. Mon the JT’s. 

2 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

This is where I’m at. Maybe emotions are running a bit high, most thought we would get hammered and we got the excitement of the first goal.

I’m all for Levein running the Academy position, but would love to see what an attack minded manager could do at Hearts.

Was always going to win the tactical battle against the tactically obtuse Lennon today.

Change still required.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

?

No.

Only playing well in finals and derbys is NOT acceptable. 

Apt user name mind you! 

The Future's Maroon
30 minutes ago, R08813 said:

Excellent post.

26 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

As much as today was improved I can’t help but think his time is up. We can’t forget about the past 6 months we have been pish. I would give him next season if he promised to buy a couple of decent wingers, goalscoring midfielder and a couple of decent strikers. Otherwise we will continue to watch narrow slow clueless football next season

Bolt.

You show me a manager that could have set up the players that were at our disposal today any better then to give me food for thought. This exact thing happened wihtg Neilson, clamour for change with no viable plan B. 

Calebs Grandad
32 minutes ago, R08813 said:

Agree totally mate. 

I’ve been all for replacing Levein in the close season, but I’m prepared to admit he is going nowhere, there is no way Budge will be looking to replace him at this time

Arthur Morgan

Nope. Still want him gone, even if we had won that today I would be saying the same. 

34 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Yeah pretty much how I see it as well

there has been some really shocking signings 

Djoum is going to be a big miss can’t believe how many people think he isn’t good enough ..... class act 

I think your spot on with the positions you suggest ?

Better today, but where do these pressing game performances go when we are playing away at places like Ross County, Hamilton and Motherwell.

I like Levein, but at too many away games we look tired, predictable and lethargic. 

Honestly believe, if he is here next season we will be seeing the same performances.

pettigrewsstylist

Good performance from the team as a whole. Dont really blame Berra for 2nd. Bit of quality bought with money we could only dream of takes the game. 

Felt we made too many changes in too short a space of time though. 

11 minutes ago, R08813 said:

You show me a manager that could have set up the players that were at our disposal today any better then to give me food for thought. This exact thing happened wihtg Neilson, clamour for change with no viable plan B. 

None of the critics ever have

19/05/2012
10 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Excellent post.

Bolt.

I don’t know why you are telling me to bolt nothing I have said is wrong. We put in an excellent performance today I’m just saying that on evidence of what we have seen this season we have a big game in us. however in almost every other game we have lacked creativity. I’m trying not to let today cloud my judgement. Going on the past year and a half we have not been good enough. Even if Levein has won us the cup today I would have wanted him to go out on a high as I can see us wanting him out by Christmas next season. If he stays I will be 100% behind him and the players I just think it’s time for a change 

Restored a bit of faith today after a terrible season. The performance of teh young players recntly has given me some hope.

innerjambo

It's a pity the players haven't bothered for the last 5 months, or was that bad management?

Maybe we should ask the other teams in the league if they are prepared to only try once in 15 games or so, just to make it more even? .................maybe not, just an idea.

I thought we played well and worked hard today, but they just have that bit more quality up front. We need to up our game big time next season. Most of our players don't even break sweat during a normal league game, and that's just unacceptable. 

Angel eyes
21 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

But why can’t we? Raise our game v the flumps again the day we obviously had a game plan and nearly worked but why time and again especially in Glasgow we don’t turn up we’ve nothing to lose I’d far rather get howked 4-0 trying and making a game of it than a meek surrender the end result is still the same! Play like we did second half the day and how we played first half of the season we’ve not much to worry about but it’s getting Levein to change his ways on a regular basis but easier said than done.

We have to look at this as our style... target the type of players that have the energy and fitness for the pressing game, as a team we can be hugely successful at home like this. 

Not for me . Thought his tactics and team selection were spot on today. However, recruitment has been very poor in his tenure as DOF and manager. Etc etc etc. It’s all been done to death. Performances like today have been all too rare. Time for a new man in the dugout and  or upstairs. 

You have to admire his resilience and his commitment is beyond question. Time to go with thanks.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Not fussed either way. Think we'll be better next season regardless if he's here or not.

I genuinely believe that we might be on the cusp of a cracking season. Levein has got the measure of this squad and knows the areas that need worked on. This is the first time for a long time that we will be going into a season with a backbone of experienced quality players and I know who we can thank for that. 

JamboGraham
3 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Not fussed either way. Think we'll be better next season regardless if he's here or not.

I have spent months debating this and in 16 words you have managed to sum up my entire view point on this...

Paisley Jambo
1 hour ago, R08813 said:

Sorry, best to leave on a high.

Move upstairs Craig for the good of the club.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
11 minutes ago, hmfc1874 said:

We have to look at this as our style... target the type of players that have the energy and fitness for the pressing game, as a team we can be hugely successful at home like this. 

Yes I also like how physically strong we were today. With big Uche I think we should be targeting another big energetic machine up front. I think Oliver Burke would be a good addition. He’s been slightly found out with his touch in celtics squad but he is still young and has shown moments like he did at tynecastle. I think his next move really should be to a club like hearts/aberdeen/Kilmarnock where he’ll be given the opportunity to grow. Ps I realise it’s unrealistic given wba’s Demands but another big physical machine in the team would be perfect for the intimidation factor.

40 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Excellent post.

Bolt.

Sir ??????

doctor jambo

He gets us, man love to a gutted jambo.

stay with us big guy!

some of us don’t deserve you

Not for me. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I like him and I respect his love for the club. However, as the one in charge of the first team, he is taking us backwards. 

1 minute ago, Peebo said:

Not for me. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I like him and I respect his love for the club. However, as the one in charge of the first team, he is taking us backwards. 

You can't possibly be saying that tactically outdoing a team that hasn't lost a cup game in three years is a coincidence because that would be ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, R08813 said:

You can't possibly be saying that tactically outdoing a team that hasn't lost a cup game in three years is a coincidence because that would be ridiculous. 

I’m not saying it’s a coincidence. 

2 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I’m not saying it’s a coincidence. 

Well that's what a broken clock is right twice a day means ?

• davemclaren locked this topic