BBQ’s - Charcoal or gas?

Swanny17

I’ve only ever owned a proper charcoal BBQ, but it can take a while to get going even although the end result is amazing.

However, I’m toying with the idea of buying a gas BBQ for convenience, but I’m fairly certain you won’t get that smoky flavour with your food.

If there’s any JKBers out there with a gas BBQ, are they as good as the real thing? Is it a worthwhile investment? 

I have only ever used instant, throw away barbecues, or sticks and coal, when camping  

Maybe I  being a bit of a pedant, or even a bit anal, but for me, if you are using gas, it is not a barbecue. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Gas for convenience and even heat.  Add well soaked wood chips and/or woody herbs for smoke.

For heat? Not a lot of charcoal will give you over 300 degrees and cook a lot of food.

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

For heat? Not a lot of charcoal will give you over 300 degrees and cook a lot of food.

Even heat.   A consistent temperature across the cooking area.    It's better to control the heat because a blast furnace wont help cook the food correctly.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Gas barbecues are just oversized camping stoves surely?

I think a few flat-earthers need to go and read about what happens to meat juices and what gas bbq diffusers and briquettes do.     

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Gas for convenience and even heat.  Add well soaked wood chips and/or woody herbs for smoke.

This.

I've used a gas barbecue for decades. Charcoal is too much slaistering. 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Even heat.   A consistent temperature across the cooking area.    It's better to control the heat because a blast furnace wont help cook the food correctly.

Sounds like you're rubbish as using bbq's so have resorted to buying an outside cooker.

I remember one time, must've been about 15 years ago, my grandad was having trouble getting a coal bbq to light... So being the mad ******* that he was (God bless him) he poured turps into the thing. 

In comparison to that, yes coal is king but gas isn't the worst option out there 

I’ve got a dual fuel grill. I was very much a charcoal traditionalist, but I use the gas side pretty frequently on occasions when I simply wouldn’t have time to use the charcoal (got it when I lived in Texas and reckon I used it probably 3 or 4 times a week year round - now less often, but still a lot from May-October). I do like using the charcoal (definitely for stuff I’m cooking at lower temps for longer), but the gas isn’t only quicker, it’s also easier (and yes, I consider myself pretty adept with the charcoal). 

5 hours ago, Bauld said:

GAS IS NOT A BARBECUE! 

:seethe:

Neither is charcoal. You guys are talking about grills!

Bull's-eye
10 hours ago, Victorian said:

I think a few flat-earthers need to go and read about what happens to meat juices and what gas bbq diffusers and briquettes do.     

Commission based post imo.

7 hours ago, TheBigO said:

??

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

This.

I've used a gas barbecue for decades. Charcoal is too much slaistering. 

Slaistering.

A blast from the past.

10 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I was talking about bbqs. I wouldn't cook on an open grill with charcoal.

fabienleclerq

I'm admittedly shite at getting the temperatures and bbq going, I prefer gas though. Easier and more even to cook with. I managed a roast dinner on it the other week when we had a power cut! 

Even when others have lit the bbq etc it's still not worked as well as gas for me. 

Maple Leaf

Whether using gas or charcoal, the success of the outcome depends on the chef.

What seasonings are used beforehand? 

When do you flip? Too early is bad news.

What beer are you drinking? Whose bird are you chatting up?

When in doubt, have another beer. After a while, if it's a good BBQ, nobody cares. :toasting:

On 24/05/2019 at 17:42, Cygnet said:

I’ve only ever owned a proper charcoal BBQ, but it can take a while to get going even although the end result is amazing.

However, I’m toying with the idea of buying a gas BBQ for convenience, but I’m fairly certain you won’t get that smoky flavour with your food.

If there’s any JKBers out there with a gas BBQ, are they as good as the real thing? Is it a worthwhile investment? 

You need one of these mate, a brilliant bit of kit and has transformed my bbq's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KCT-Outdoor-Charcoal-Starter-Chimney/dp/B07CMBBD6J/ref=lp_4295669031_1_7?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1558902935&sr=1-7

Has anyone got a bbq that so has a side smoker attached? In theory, these look like an amazing piece of kit, would love to use the smoker with a whole chicken in it. However, the cynic in me makes me doubt their usefulness.

Harry Potter
On 24/05/2019 at 19:21, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Gas barbecues are just oversized camping stoves surely?

Very much. 

Unknown user
On 26/05/2019 at 22:10, superjack said:

Has anyone got a bbq that so has a side smoker attached? In theory, these look like an amazing piece of kit, would love to use the smoker with a whole chicken in it. However, the cynic in me makes me doubt their usefulness.

I did have, but I mostly used it for smoking sides of bacon for later use rather than smoking while cooking.

If you want to smoke while cooking, just put wet wood chips on your coals, if you want to cold smoke meat fish or cheese, use the side burner and let the smoke filter through the food in the main cooking chamber. 

There's nothing quite like mesquite smoked bacon in the fridge!

Edited by Smithee

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Very much. 

Aye it is all about the charred burgers and the food poisoning the next day. That's what makes a proper barbecue :greggy:

On 26/05/2019 at 22:10, superjack said:

This is my baby!

https://www.americanbbq.co.uk/sm160-commercial-smoker-oven.html

Unknown user
10 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Like the looks of this!

They're amazing, they'll catch in all but the most mental of weather and you can get your coals a good consistent heat before tipping out.

The missus is South African, so I've had more than a few braai's over there. Now they know how to do a BBQ! Wood all the way, no charcoal or gas and nothing but great big lumps of meat, and maybe the occasional (massive) prawns or even lobster. Not a burger to be seen.

Learning how to braai properly is like a rite of passage over there. If you can't braai properly, you might as well emigrate! 

1 hour ago, Benzinho said:

The missus is South African, so I've had more than a few braai's over there. Now they know how to do a BBQ! Wood all the way, no charcoal or gas and nothing but great big lumps of meat, and maybe the occasional (massive) prawns or even lobster. Not a burger to be seen.

Learning how to braai properly is like a rite of passage over there. If you can't braai properly, you might as well emigrate! 

Did your missus emigrate?

3 hours ago, graygo said:

Did your missus emigrate?

Aye. ?

To be fair, like everywhere else, it's very much a male domain.