Our use of subs tomorrow.

feedthefox

feedthefox

One of my biggest frustrations with CL has been our use of substitutions during games (normally far too late and with little tactical purpose). I really hope he's thought it through tomorrow and knows in what situation to make what substitution and more importantly doesn't stand there doing nothing when it's clear a change is needed (whether we're winning or losing). Appreciate injuries can force his hand but otherwise I hope at least one or two are down to players (midfielders?) who have run themselves into the ground and can barely break into a run anymore. Substitutions are a very big part of tactics these days and can potentially win games. C'mon the Jambos.

Not being funny mate, but you are there slagging the manager off on the eve of a cup final.  Fair enough if this is the case tomorrow evening, but perhaps a truce in the negativity until then?

Rick James

If the game is tight and we have a slender lead or perhaps level, I don't really expect subs to be made unless necessary.

Took for me to work in football to really understand that. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

feedthefox
Just now, sandyk said:

Not being funny mate, but you are there slagging the manager off on the eve of a cup final.  Fair enough if this is the case tomorrow evening, but perhaps a truce in the negativity until then?

Certainly wasn't intended as "slagging off" and nothing negative intended sorry if it's been interpreted as such. Simply wanted to highlight the importance of tactical substitutions and that it's not been something we've taken advantage of previously. 

16 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Certainly wasn't intended as "slagging off" and nothing negative intended sorry if it's been interpreted as such. Simply wanted to highlight the importance of tactical substitutions and that it's not been something we've taken advantage of previously. 

No harm done chap

Maybe it is just me being nervous!  :smile:

25 minutes ago, Locky said:

If the game is tight and we have a slender lead or perhaps level, I don't really expect subs to be made unless necessary.

Took for me to work in football to really understand that. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Correct, just had to watch the Dundee Utd game last night to see that, Utd knocking on the door and creating chances, Robbie makes changes up front and the team lose their way.

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Correct, just had to watch the Dundee Utd game last night to see that, Utd knocking on the door and creating chances, Robbie makes changes up front and the team lose their way.

Thought robbie had decided at 70 minutes it was more important not losing a goal than scoring one in a 2 legged tie.

Subs are vital but only if they have a positive impact.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Perfectly valid OP I thought.

We have waited too long I would agree to make them. Cup games you now get a 4th if the game goes to extra time, so there is a little insurance built into making 3 relatively early in normal time.

Quite a few managers seem loathe to make them, for me they should be used far sooner than they are, but that seems to be quite normal.

Rodgers I thought was well ahead of his peers in that respect in Scotland, but he had a better selection to take off it

the jambo poet

Subs are key to me and could be the difference between winning and losing. We need the team selection to be spot on and anyone who is carrying a knock/returning from injury will have to really put a shift in. If say Haring, Uche or Djoum limp off after 10/15 mins we are in trouble. Uche/Haring may also struggle to last the pace. That will be one sub used up. If we play any of Cochrane or Smith again these guys will not last 90 mins so that's possibly 2 subs. This is without working out injuries to other players/tactical changes. We need the whole team to work their socks off for 90 mins - there can't be any passengers. Even then we may need extra time. Can the likes of McLean and Clare last 90 mins plus extra time? Don't get me wrong if we're drawing after 90 mins I'll be delighted. We need to be in their faces from the off but I worry if we can carry that through to the end. However, an early goal or we take the lead and it's something to hold on to. This gives players a lift and something to really fight for and fight through the pain for. Please please please don't have any injuries flaring up during the 90 and we can do this.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, the jambo poet said:

Subs are key to me and could be the difference between winning and losing. We need the team selection to be spot on and anyone who is carrying a knock/returning from injury will have to really put a shift in. If say Haring, Uche or Djoum limp off after 10/15 mins we are in trouble. Uche/Haring may also struggle to last the pace. That will be one sub used up. If we play any of Cochrane or Smith again these guys will not last 90 mins so that's possibly 2 subs. This is without working out injuries to other players/tactical changes. We need the whole team to work their socks off for 90 mins - there can't be any passengers. Even then we may need extra time. Can the likes of McLean and Clare last 90 mins plus extra time? Don't get me wrong if we're drawing after 90 mins I'll be delighted. We need to be in their faces from the off but I worry if we can carry that through to the end. However, an early goal or we take the lead and it's something to hold on to. This gives players a lift and something to really fight for and fight through the pain for. Please please please don't have any injuries flaring up during the 90 and we can do this.

Its the last game of the season and a cup final and hopefully adrenaline will see players through the game like Haring and Uche.

Surely to **** we are due a break with injuries this season. <_<

1 hour ago, Roman1874 said:

We need an impact sub like amankwaa

?   

Steven Naismith would be an impact sub !

GorgieRules22

Let’s just hope that it’s not Uche that we’re relying on to be the impact sub, if so come the point of him coming on it could be pointless.

Our use of subs will be vital. With all the discussion of Levein’s managerial ability, this is a real test of it considering the concerns over Uche and Djoum. Do we start them with the idea of giving them 60mins or do we keep them in reserve. I kind of hope the latter. If they definitely can’t last a whole game that could restrict our sub options as the game evolves, or one enforced sub due to injury early on screws us.

Edited by Guest

highlandjambo3

Aside from the managers tactical change when using a sub (injury excluded), a sub needs to have the correct positive and confident mentality coming onto the pitch, none of this feeling second rate because he didn’t get a start.......

race out onto the pitch faster than the bolt with a mentality of changing the game thinking...... “watch this, ill show them”........... intay them...

FFS.... how am I supposed to sleep tonight 

i wish jj was my dad

Jim Hamilton at Parkhead in 98. That's the type of sub I want to see.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Our use of subs will be vital. With all the discussion of Levein’s managerial ability, this is a real test of it considering the concerns over Uche and Djoum. Do we start them with the idea of giving them 60mins or do we keep them in reserve. I kind of hope the latter. If they definitely can’t last a whole game that could restrict our sub options as the game evolves, or one enforced sub due to injury early on screws us.

I think anyone with any injury doubt has to be on from start or not included. If they come on and break down, we may not have another sub left, or may have another 30 mins ET to last. 

Also, we need to have what we think is our best on from the start. Can’t hold anything back in reserve. This is Celtic on a big pitch. 

1 hour ago, Sid said:

I think anyone with any injury doubt has to be on from start or not included. If they come on and break down, we may not have another sub left, or may have another 30 mins ET to last. 

Also, we need to have what we think is our best on from the start. Can’t hold anything back in reserve. This is Celtic on a big pitch. 

Yeah I think everyone who plays needs to be fit and up for a possible 120 mins of football and pens. Starting someone who's not fit is as risky as bringing them on later.

6 hours ago, Roman1874 said:

We need an impact sub like amankwaa

I still get nightmares about that substitution!! ?

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, feedthefox said:

One of my biggest frustrations with CL has been our use of substitutions during games (normally far too late and with little tactical purpose). I really hope he's thought it through tomorrow and knows in what situation to make what substitution and more importantly doesn't stand there doing nothing when it's clear a change is needed (whether we're winning or losing). Appreciate injuries can force his hand but otherwise I hope at least one or two are down to players (midfielders?) who have run themselves into the ground and can barely break into a run anymore. Substitutions are a very big part of tactics these days and can potentially win games. C'mon the Jambos.

Definitely, one problem is having guys you know won’t last 90 minutes and that narrows your options. The subs will need to contribute for us to pull off the miracle ???????.

feedthefox

Steven McLean could just be that guy, you just feel he's that sort that as the game enters its final few minutes (provided we're still in it) could just read a situation and get a toe on something.

Mr Elwood P
47 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Steven McLean could just be that guy, you just feel he's that sort that as the game enters its final few minutes (provided we're still in it) could just read a situation and get a toe on something.

I think MacLean will start up front with Uche.

5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think MacLean will start up front with Uche.

Let’s hope not 

Bazzas right boot

With Haring, Djoum and Uche all having niggles, we might not have a choice how to use the subs. 

And what a shitey dig as well! 

I think Clare could be a useful sub. 

For me we need to chase them down and harry them.Starters will tire and I reckon the youngsters could be a major help to continue with it. Subs will be important for sure.

Uncle Buck
1 hour ago, fila said:

Let’s hope not 

I hope he does. He’s scoring the winner today.