Final Thoughts

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Here we stand on the eve of the Cup Final.

I cast my mind back to 19th May 2012 at around 5.01. The cup is lifted and the lap of honour begins, I have witnessed something I could not comprehend I would ever see, perhaps alone, my mind wandered.

Would I ever see another day like this, we had a good idea of where we were headed. Wages could not be paid and the team that had just won the most famous result in Heart of Midlothian history, would begin to be disassembled.

I said to a fairly young lad, you may never see this again. And I meant it. I believed it.

Liverpool briefly took our minds off what was happening to our football club, one last flourish.

By 17th November 2012 the call to arms had been raised and of course we responded as only we know how to, packing out Tynecastle. Roughly 20 months of hell ensued.

I firmly believe I would have been lost to football and life indeed would have lost part of its meaning for me. Its silly I know, but Heart of Midlothian is a family member to me.

So tomorrow. This is a heartfelt thank you, to absolutely everyone who saved and turned this club around. Especially Bryan Jackson, who had no vested interest, but seem to get everything Heart of Midlothian is about.

I think it was Shankly who commented, form is temporary class is permanent.

So this season, started very well, it fizzled out in truth by December.

But there is always the cup, and what competition fires the hearts and minds of Heart of Midlothian more than any other, the Scottish Cup.

Tomorrow, we will contest the final, a final that shouldn't be seen as a reward for probably the softest of all cup runs, but a final that rewards the thousands of people who have helped to preserve the dream.

My dream on the 19th May 2012 was simply to see Heart of Midlothian play in the Scottish Cup Final just one more time.

Tomorrow me and I am sure thousands of others will live our dream, win lose or draw.

Hearts, Hearts, Glorious Hearts

Edited by Sir Gio

Good post we all have to enjoy days like tomorrow when you think back to 17 th November 2012 let’s all play our part tomorrow and do the club proud 

Perth to Paisley

Said the same when leaving the League Cup final (pappered over the cracks/chasms appearing.)

Hearts1975
30 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I cast my mind back to 19th May 2012 at around 5.01. The cup is lifted and the lap of honour begins, I have witnessed something I could not comprehend I would ever see, perhaps alone, my mind wandered.

Would I ever see another day like this, we had a good idea of where we were headed. Wages could not be paid and the team that had just won the most famous result in Heart of Midlothian history, would begin to be disassembled.

I said to a fairly young lad, you may never see this again. And I meant it. I believed it.

Liverpool briefly took our minds off what was happening to our football club, one last flourish.

By 17th November 2012 the call to arms had been raised and of course we responded as only we know how to, packing out Tynecastle. Roughly 20 months of hell ensued.

I firmly believe I would have been lost to football and life indeed would have lost part of its meaning for me. Its silly I know, but Heart of Midlothian is a family member to me.

So tomorrow. This is a heartfelt thank you, to absolutely everyone who saved and turned this club around. Especially Bryan Jackson, who had no vested interest, but seem to get everything Heart of Midlothian is about.

But there is always the cup, and what competition fires the hearts and minds of Heart of Midlothian more than any other, the Scottish Cup.

Tomorrow, we will contest the final, a final that shouldn't be seen as a reward for probably the softest of all cup runs, but a final that rewards the thousands of people who have helped to preserve the dream.

My dream on the 19th May 2012 was simply to see Heart of Midlothian play in the Scottish Cup Final just one more time.

Tomorrow me and I am sure thousands of others will live our dream, win lose or draw.

That post Brought a tear to the eye SG

HHGH ??? 

Heartsofgold
48 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Brilliant post.  Could not have put this any better.

Sexton Hardcastle

We don’t get to hampden for finals enough for the size and support of our club. The past decade has been a bit better but still poor.

Celtic winning tomorrow will

mean absolutely **** all to them. A few cheers, pints and up the road with a rather incredible treble treble. Certainly they will not replicate scenes of Gorgie road in 98/07/12.

If we win it means the world. Guys disappearing for days on benders with absolute strangers.  The build up and day itself will be a smashing occasion and everyone should make the most of it. If we win the thing it will be another incredible party to add to the previous cup wins.

****ing smash them Hearts.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Great Post SG

kingantti1874

Great post - I have to admit I didn’t even consider that we wouldn’t make it through that, despite all our differences as a support I knew we would never let that happen. 

Sitting in work almost greeting....great post and regardless of how the season has gone or if we lose tomorrow lets just take a moment to appreciate how far our club has come in the last few years. I really thought our club was dead and gone and to be 24 hours away from a cup final really is a special day for all. 

davemclaren

In 1976 we finished 3 points above a relegation spot and got to a cup final against the league winners Rangers. That Hearts team was pretty rubbish ( and proved it by getting relegated the season after ) but the support seemed far more confident and up for the final then it seems today. 

We can win this. ?

I remember the feeling at end of 96 final wondering if I would ever see Hearts win a trophy.  3 SC's later I need to pinch myself sometimes.  No fears about tomorrow.  It is what it is and the team and the fans need to meet it head on.  

Lovely post mate. We can all fight and squabble about the team and the future direction of the footballing side of the club but there is a great deal to be proud of as supporters. Collectively we have delivered on a scale few people felt was possible.  

Heartsofgold

I'm taking my 9 & 11 year old daughters to the game tomorrow, their 1st Final.  Both are utterly convinced that we are winning it and I have to believe we will have a right go at the hooped scumbags.  Play for 90 minutes and give your all Hearts.  That's all we ask.  Don't let them overrun us and we will be happy(ish).

Edited by Heartsofgold

Great post 

I don't mind (well i do) if they beat us as long as we give a great account of ourselves and don't give them a minutes peace 

I think we'll win though.....1-0 Hearts 

Backs to the wall stuff, the 2nd half will feel like a week but we'll see it out 

I'm highly confident going into this 

48 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

In 1976 we finished 3 points above a relegation spot and got to a cup final against the league winners Rangers. That Hearts team was pretty rubbish ( and proved it by getting relegated the season after ) but the support seemed far more confident and up for the final then it seems today. 

We can win this. ?

Don't be fooled by KickBack.  Hearts fans are definitely up for this.  Everyone I speak to is buzzing.  Maybe not confident but certainly buzzing.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

I'm taking my 9 & 11 year old daughters to the game tomorrow, their 1st Final.  Both are utterly convinced that we are winning it and I have to believe we will have a right go at the hooped scumbags.  Play for 90 minutes and give your all Hearts.  That's all we ask.  Don't let them overrun us and we will be happy(ish).

That's the spirit

:flag2:

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

Great post 

I don't mind (well i do) if they beat us as long as we give a great account of ourselves and don't give them a minutes peace 

I think we'll win though.....1-0 Hearts 

Backs to the wall stuff, the 2nd half will feel like a week but we'll see it out 

I'm highly confident going into this 

Jesus. Imagine. We score after about 15 minutes... and end up winning 1-0.

'Stressful' seems like too small a word.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Especially when the board goes up 6 extra minutes minimum and we play 8  :lol:

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Especially when the board goes up 6 extra minutes minimum and we play 8  :lol:

JEsus. Jesus. Jesus.

Still think we have a certain Sean Clare popping up to score a winning free kick and becoming a legend of which the fans will finally sing his name

2 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

With 8 mins injury time ?

Tears of joy and despair in 2012 for the obvious reasons.  Tears of joy tomorrow.  Hankies already in position right in front of the telly.

We've beaten Celtic dozens of times when they've been favourites and we're about to do it again.

If it was complicated I wouldn't understand it.?

Dalstonjambo

I’ve had a few beers on the train north and I didn’t need to see this for the sake of my emotions. 

But a wonderful post from the OP. Come on the famous 

Pasquale for King
14 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Beautiful 

feedthefox
14 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Hugh Mcilvaney lives on in Sir Gio

Bazzas right boot

Very elequant and well put.

I'm more like

1476d.jpg

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Brilliant OP.

As Hearts supporters, we live for moments like these. C'mon HEARTS, we love you, we believe in you... forget recent history, poor form, infighting etc etc... Cup finals are bigger than all of that. You never know when we'll be here again. So let's stand as one - players, managers, supporters, all of us. Let's fight bloody tooth and nail, heart and soul for this thing... This chance at history.

We'll need some luck, we'll need everybody at the top of their game, and if we can rattle them in the first ten, fifteen minutes, you just never know...

But let's make one thing clear: if those Weedgie bassas are gonna win it, they're gonna have to EARN it, cos they're gonna be in the fight of their lives!

HHGH

siegementality

I truly hope that this time tomorrow I will still be toasting a new set of Hearts heroes. Heroes who have fought their way into the history of our great club. Make no mistake, it will be a fight, but we have a tradition of fighting.

Win the fight boys, make us proud and bring the cup back to Gorgie ❤️

Mr Elwood P
15 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

That was great apart from

the ‘softest of all cup runs’ part. If we win we will have beaten 2 Premiership Teams, 2 Championship teams and 1 Junior team. This Celtic team is one of the most successful in Scottish football history and would definitely be a greater achievement than beating Gretna or a very poor Hibs team. Even beating Rangers in 1998, that Walter Smith team was full off great players but didn’t win anything that session.

Heart of Midlothian, saviours of Scottish football.

2-1 Hearts, FTH.

Great post. The spirt that took us through these dark days has maybe gone but that's a discussion for another day. We are in a cup 

final and as a 44 year old an occasion I have experienced far to few times. My first in 86 was heart break. 2nd in 96 I was old enough to drink to dull the pain. 98 what a day!! Let down for tickets so watched the game in the tynie arms, had a prime position to see the team bus come back. Gorgie Road was like times square at new year x 10000!! Finally saw us lift the cup with my own eyes in 2006 and 2012 so I have an undefeated (Scottish Cup)Final record at hampden. Hope to **** that continues today

Went to bed an hour ago, can’t sleep! Pillow and spare duvet on the couch and cracked open a bottle of vodka. Feel like a 5 yr old on Xmas eve

15 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Great post mate!

Irrespective of our opinions on our current manager and team, when the chips are down we are maroon to the core!

We stand together on the slopes of Hampden proud to be Hearts men - win or lose we will still be proud to be Hearts men.

As it says on my old Dad’s memorial plaque -

WE STOOD TOGETHER AT THE GORGIE END

YOU WERE MY PAL, YOU WERE MY FRIEND

UNITED TOGETHER IN GOOD TIMES AND BAD

YOU MADE ME A HEARTS FAN - I THANK YOU DAD

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

RealMaroonCF

In 98 and 2006, in 2012 and maybe tomorrow, I always said I'd give all the memories and celebrations back for that one day in may of 1986 to those who stood those flooded terraces of Dens park.

Agonized memories. Tattoos in your mind that only the faithful feel.

Those guys, our brothers, uncles, fathers and grandfathers made us who we are today.  THE Heart of Midlothian ..... and there were those who thought we would never come back.

Take your scarf from your neck.  Grip the tasseled ends. Twirl it around your head and let the world know ........ Theres a place in a city with a castle, that a famous football team bide, we aren't world beaters and we rise and fall but we are faithful and have taken the 'best'i off their perches now and then......maybe tomorrow will be another of those occasions.

Come on the mighty JTs

Edited by RealMaroonCF

Jambo in Japan

Brilliant post.

This might not be the best Hearts team to ever play in a Scottish Cup Final, and it may be one of the more forgiving runs to the final we'll ever have, but in cup football the winners tend to need a bit of luck along the way.

Saving the club from extinction was never down to luck, it was down to the amazing strength and perseverance of the fans. They're the people due the rub of the green this time around. This final is for them.

If the supporters really give their backing today, then we can certainly win this.

Come on the famous.

Angry Haggis
21 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

10/10

SectionDJambo

Plenty of great Hearts players, and loyal fans, didn't get the rewards that they deserved. Fate, certainly, wasn't kind to our club in 1914, a time when the history of the club was both enriched and robbed of the chance to establish itself as a dominant force.

Many years past before the club, finally, hit a golden period in the 50s. Great reward for the loyalty and tenacity of our supporters.

Then the period when I was old enough to know what Hearts were, which was also the start of the decline in playing standards and disappointing leadership from the board of directors. Years of hopes being dashed and watching others have success.

Then the 1998 cup win, which many of us thought we'd never see, followed by 2006 and 2012. 

The dark days of administration, followed by the joy and relief of recoverym not least because of that tenacity of gbe fans, again. 

Let's hope that fortune shines on us today and that our players take their chance to be remembered for years to come, as others recent winners have. And let's get behind our team today, no matter what your views on the usual contentions.

Together we can beat Celtic today.

ginger jambo98

As Vice Admiral Nelson very nearly said before battle. Gorgie expects that every man will do his duty. 100% effort from all players and the support, nothing less will be required to beat the Green Huns. Mon the Hearts, Gorgie Rules, get right into them.