Hartley and Naysmith on Sportsound

Alex Kintner

Alex Kintner

Really interesting.

Hartley saying Malofeev was the only manager he ever played under who actually de-motivated the players.

Naysmith saying that in 98 JJ announced the starting lineup on the Monday and did the team talk on the training ground. Pre-match all he said to the players was “go out and make yourselves legends”

?

Edited by To Be Frank

Telford_jambo123

Was malofeev the boy who went off his nut in a post match interview for no reason?

Edited by Telford_jambo123

Just now, Telford_jambo123 said:

Was malofeev who went off his nut in a post match interview for no reason?

Think he had them playing crab football, am I remembering that correctly?

5 minutes ago, Telford_jambo123 said:

Was malofeev the boy who went off his nut in a post match interview for no reason?

So the original Heckingbottom?

4 minutes ago, naeclue said:

Yeah and wheelbarrow races , i think

Edited by sadj

Telford_jambo123
1 minute ago, naeclue said:

Yep. Him and stevie frail’s “amazing” football.....

Cruyff Turn

Give that a watch @To Be Frank 

Sir Paul talks all about Levein, Burley, Malofeev, Ivanauskas and Rix. 

Tells the story about how Levein slaughtered him on a Monday morning after a derby and did an analysis of the game for 60 minutes on how shite Paul played. ? Then told him, play like that again and you’re out the door, dropped him to the reserves for a couple of months. ?

LogicalEric

It was after we got beat 2-1 at Celtic Park. Craig Gordon made an erse up if I remember correctly and Strachan started giving Barasa a GIRFUY on the sideline: 

After the game Malofeev started going mental thorough his female interpreter when the BBC asked him about Romanov interfering in team selection. 

What scares me about Malofeev is that he was a highly regarded coach in Belarus apparently. 

Crab football at a professional level. 

Jesus wept. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Tells the story about how Levein slaughtered him on a Monday morning after a derby and did an analysis of the game for 60 minutes on how shite Paul played. ? Then told him, play like that again and you’re out the door, dropped him to the reserves for a couple of months. ?

Awful man management from levein again ?

Edited by Jammy T

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Never a dull moment during the Romanov era!

Crab football and wheelbarrow races ffs :rofl:

An absolute crackpot :lol:

Folk who say Levein has the team playing the worst football in their time as a Hearts fan were not around in the Romanov era

FACT

Edited by Jammy T

I remember meeting Gary Glen in the que to buy Barcelona tickets and he said that big mad malofeev told the young boys to steep their feet in vinegar as it would toughen up the soles of their feet ?????‍♂️

JamboGraham

What could possibly go wrong???

Also, the look on Berra’s face at 1:33 ish...

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Haha.

"It's Malofeev tactical switch of play that he's talking about" I've always thought that's a cracking quote I would use if I coached anyone

I can see why he was rated in Belarus, their football league is awful, same with Lithuania. 

As for worst we've played. Yes I agree the football was dire, worst performance I've seen for Hearts (and I've seen a few) was v Hibs at Easter Road under Malofeev in the League Cup. We never even threatened the goal

Edited by rudi must stay

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Haha.

"It's Malofeev tactical switch of play that he's talking about" I've always thought that's a cracking quote I would use if I coached anyone

I can see why he was rated in Belarus, their football league is awful, same with Lithuania. 

Not just Belarus. More widely regarded than that in Soviet circles - he was head coach of the USSR national team at one point. 

JamboGraham
11 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Haha.

As for worst we've played. Yes I agree the football was dire, worst performance I've seen for Hearts (and I've seen a few) was v Hibs at Easter Road under Malofeev in the League Cup. We never even threatened the goal

Incredibly this omnishambles took place less than a year after we played in the Champions League play off round...

22 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Followed by Craig Gordon’s :rofl:

3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Folk who say Levein has the team playing the worst football in their time as a Hearts fan were not around in the Romanov era

FACT

I lost the will to live watching Csaba Laslo’s team. It was a miracle if we had a shot on goal.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

He did play him on the left wing in that game.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Haha.

Did he not play Neilson at Right Midfield that game with Barasa behind him ??

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Jammy T said:

TBF Levein could get the blame for Malofeev's crab football. 

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He did play him on the left wing in that game.

He had played most of his career out wide and didn’t put in the appropriate level of effort.

You can’t spin that Levein didn’t do wonders for Hartley.

If you do you’d look like a complete arse as Hartley recognises that he did.

Finlay James
8 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

He had played most of his career out wide and didn’t put in the appropriate level of effort.

Theres no doubt that Levein improved Hartley ten fold as a player.  Hartley says it himself.

Levein said sink or swim and he swam.  Let's hope Vanecek does the same.

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Theres no doubt that Levein improved Hartley ten fold as a player.  Hartley says it himself.

Levein said sink or swim and he swam.  Let's hope Vanecek does the same.

Vanacek appears to have chosen sink.  Let's hope not.

9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Haha.

That Hibs game is the one his halftime talk was along the lines of “if you dive into the ocean you find pearls, the deeper you dive, the better the pearl” and walked out ???

10 hours ago, Jammy T said:

FACT

Yip.

It was nuts at times. I do think some were around at that time, most probably, which makes it even more mental !

11 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Our fans booing a new signing before he even kicks a ball for us. :vrface: 

12 hours ago, LogicalEric said:

It was after we got beat 2-1 at Celtic Park. Craig Gordon made an erse up if I remember correctly and Strachan started giving Barasa a GIRFUY on the sideline: 

After the game Malofeev started going mental thorough his female interpreter when the BBC asked him about Romanov interfering in team selection. 

That game Pressley was dropped as suspension for being part of Riccarton 3. 

Hartley and Gordon had already missed a previous game. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

He started out wide as a youngster not most of his career, we signed him because he had a good season at St Johnstone where Billy Stark played him centrally. He then came here and settled eventually in the middle, Robbo had him attacking more then Burley had him pressing high and breaking into the box and scoring goals. 

My point was slaughtering him after playing him at left wing in a derby at ER where he had failed as a wide player , he rarely used his left foot, was a bit much really. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

letsalldothebeattie

Quite an enjoyable listen what I heard through the podcast. Wasn’t really surprised Hartley said his hat trick against Hibs was his most memorable moment in his Scottish cup career 

Ibrahim Tall

To be honest Malofeev career pre-Hearts suggests he was actually a good coach/manager. 

The main issue being he arrived here 20 years later than that record and was still using the same 20/25 year old methods. Football had moved on and he hadn’t.

Bridge of Djoum
41 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He started out wide as a youngster not most of his career, we signed him because he had a good season at St Johnstone where Billy Stark played him centrally. He then came here and settled eventually in the middle, Robbo had him attacking more then Burley had him pressing high and breaking into the box and scoring goals. 

My point was slaughtering him after playing him at left wing in a derby at ER where he had failed as a wide player , he rarely used his left foot, was a bit much really. 

Robben plays/played on the right, very left footed. 

When you say ''playing him at left wing'' do you mean playing on the left or playing left wing, as a winger?

rick witter
30 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

To be honest Malofeev career pre-Hearts suggests he was actually a good coach/manager. 

The main issue being he arrived here 20 years later than that record and was still using the same 20/25 year old methods. Football had moved on and he hadn’t.

So the same as Craig Levein then?

Levein was a good manager first time around at Hearts. 

Sadly he has stood still and football has moved on.  

Alex Kintner
13 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

??

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

What new tactical set ups and styles have come in since his last tenure? Just so that I know what it is that he has stubbornly refused to implement since he was at Hearts last time in 2004. Cheers.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Robben plays/played on the right, very left footed. 

When you say ''playing him at left wing'' do you mean playing on the left or playing left wing, as a winger?

He was wide left in a four from what I remember, many players have managed to play well on the other side, Hartley wasn’t one of them. Same position as CL played Tomachek, Stamp, Djoum, Lee etc. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, rick witter said:

Indeed, he’s still playing the style MacDonald played in the 80s.

3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

What new tactical set ups and styles have come in since his last tenure? Just so that I know what it is that he has stubbornly refused to implement since he was at Hearts last time in 2004. Cheers.

Surely the question is how the **** do you taje Malofeev and use that as an excuse to rip into the current manager on a thread about Hartley and Naysmith.

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

To my untrained eye, it looks like football is played at a faster pace, with more emphasis on quickly winning the ball in midfield and getting it forward to 3 front men to create chances. And passing for the sake of retaining possession has become less important.

And full backs have become more important than outright wingers. Do teams really use wingers anymore?

Just my brief thoughts on the evolution of football :smoking:

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

To my untrained eye, it looks like football is played at a faster pace, with more emphasis on quickly winning the ball in midfield and getting it forward to 3 front men to create chances. And passing for the sake of retaining possession has become less important.

And full backs have become more important than outright wingers. Do teams really use wingers anymore?

Just my brief thoughts on the evolution of football :smoking:

Since 2004, when Levein left, after introducing a fair few innovations that other managers up here were not doing:

the game has got faster

teams play front threes

the emphasis has changed to getting the ball forward faster

passing to retain possession is less important

fullbacks are more useful than wingers

Is that correct? Before I attempt to discuss these points, and how they are things that have changed since Levein was here last... and how he has failed to acknowledge them... sticking with some kind of Dinosaur football from before these things were the norm... like Rick is trying to say... ?

31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, he’s still playing the style MacDonald played in the 80s.

Apart from the whole winning most weeks part.

Just now, Darren said:

Apart from the whole winning most weeks part.

Did Doddie win most weeks?