Cape Town in June

Boof

Heading there for 10 days or so with half a dozen teenagers.

Hosts will probably have a lot of stuff planned, but any 'do not miss this' suggestions will be very welcome.

With 6 teenagers I'd probably opt to hike up table mountain rather than take the cable car. The abseil you can do from the top is fantastic. 

Cape point/cape of good hope is a great day. It's easy to combine a stop at Simon's Town on the way to see Boulders beach. There's a very scenic mountain road you can take back on the west coast.

Edit: I'm shite, can't manage to attach an image.

Edited by IronJambo

The White Cockade

Table Mountain

Chapmans Peak

Cape Point

V and A Waterfront

Camps Bay

Franschoek

Kirstenbosch

rugby at Newlands

football at Green Point

Hermanus

Penguins at Boulders

Too many places to mention but be prepared as it is winter there and though nothing like ours can

be very wet and windy

8 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Table Mountain

Chapmans Peak

Cape Point

V and A Waterfront

Camps Bay

Franschoek

Kirstenbosch

rugby at Newlands

football at Green Point

Hermanus

Penguins at Boulders

Too many places to mention but be prepared as it is winter there and though nothing like ours can

be very wet and windy

Not sure man.  Half a dozen teenagers and not one of your suggestions will have suitable wi-fi for them.

The White Cockade
Just now, i8hibsh said:

Not sure man.  Half a dozen teenagers and not one of your suggestions will have suitable wi-fi for them.

the buggers should be leaving the smartphones at home and getting out ?

joking aside Cape Town is a place to be out most of the time

Too much to see and do to waste time on Facebook and texting!

Just now, The White Cockade said:

the buggers should be leaving the smartphones at home and getting out ?

joking aside Cape Town is a place to be out most of the time

Too much to see and do to waste time on Facebook and texting!

Alas, teenagers are beyond help now in my experience.  If they were thrown into war tomorrow they would want a holster for their smart phones.  

The White Cockade
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Alas, teenagers are beyond help now in my experience.  If they were thrown into war tomorrow they would want a holster for their smart phones.  

:clyay:

You could go river rafting on the Orange river .. north of Cape Town going up the Atlantic Ocean side.

Table View is a nice area just over the bay which has a great view of Table Mountain.

Can't remember the name of the mountains/hills north of Cape Town near Stellenbosch but you get a fantastic view for miles up there.  The hills with a motorway tunnel going through them.  

Go to the cricket at Newlands.

Bindy Badgy

Shark cage diving is a good but relatively expensive day out. If you do it please use a responsible company. Some of them can be a bit dodgy in terms of the  chum that they use and so on. Marine Dynamics are a reputable company that do a lot of high quality research alongside their commercial operation.

54 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Table Mountain

Chapmans Peak

Cape Point

V and A Waterfront

Camps Bay

Franschoek

Kirstenbosch

rugby at Newlands

football at Green Point

Hermanus

Penguins at Boulders

be very wet and windy

Thanks.

It seems we've already got Simonstown, Boulders Beach, Iziko Slave lodge, District Six museum, Kirstenbosch, Two Oceans aquarium, Kalky's on our itinerary.

Hoping we'll have Table mountain and Robben Island too.

Can't find much info about rugby or fitba' ? 

Bindy Badgy

Robben Island is a bit rubbish. It would be great if you were allowed to wander round at your own pace but you're herded through very quickly. A lot depends on the quality of the guides that you get. The first guide I had was great but, the second one wasn't particularly good. It gets booked up a fair bit in advance so I would get plans in place before you head over if it's something that you're keen on.

40 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

I would get plans in place before you head over if it's something that you're keen on.

It's part of a conference whereby a bunch of schools get together and discuss the chosen theme. This year's theme being 'activism' I'd've thought Robben Island would've been pretty high on the organisers' must-see list.

The White Cockade
2 hours ago, Boof said:

It's part of a conference whereby a bunch of schools get together and discuss the chosen theme. This year's theme being 'activism' I'd've thought Robben Island would've been pretty high on the organisers' must-see list.

Yeah and and you Have the District Six Museum on the list too 

The White Cockade

And a wander round Bo Kaap is good as well it’s the colourful Muslim area under Signal Hill with a lot of the oldest houses in Cape Town