Niki Lauda

Cruyff Turn

Roxy Hearts

Seen the film Rush about him and it was very good. The guy playing him was brilliant. Brave man and a legend. RIP. 

Maroon Sailor

True legend of the sport. To win that 1984 championship was typical of the man himself

Jambothump

Came from a wealthy family and financed his love of car racing, entirely by his own efforts. His auto (not sure) biography is very illuminating, in the speciality qualities, these people had/have.

Lewis Hamilton, plays down his family wealth, it must have been there, for him to come through the very expensive ranks.

This in no way detracts from the skill, knowledge and bravery, these drivers exhibit. I think Niki Lauda said, driving is when I am really scared, but alive.

The thought of what they do, scares me shitless. 

4 hours ago, Jambothump said:

Came from a wealthy family and financed his love of car racing, entirely by his own efforts. His auto (not sure) biography is very illuminating, in the speciality qualities, these people had/have.

Lewis Hamilton, plays down his family wealth, it must have been there, for him to come through the very expensive ranks.

This in no way detracts from the skill, knowledge and bravery, these drivers exhibit. I think Niki Lauda said, driving is when I am really scared, but alive.

The thought of what they do, scares me shitless. 

I'm no fan of Lewis Hamilton but it is unfair to say he had family wealth when he was growing up, his father worked several jobs at once to try and support his kart racing and luckily for him he was picked up by McLaren when he was 13 and supported by them. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I'm no fan of Lewis Hamilton but it is unfair to say he had family wealth when he was growing up, his father worked several jobs at once to try and support his kart racing and luckily for him he was picked up by McLaren when he was 13 and supported by them. 

Yes, and I'm sure his brother's cerebral palsy put more of a strain on things, too. 

Jambothump
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

The wealth then,was in the fathers ability do this extra work and devote time also to this very expensive hobby ? I read Lewis Hamiltons biography,  a few years ago, the poor kid, made good, just did not ring true ?

These guys are exceptionally gifted, Niki Lauda, as with the others probably, was also a talented mechanic.

scottishguy

Anyone who thinks Tiger Woods come was the best ever, they should read about Niki Lauda. What he went through after that crash and triumphed again, is absolutely incredible.

A true Legend.