British Steel on the verge of administration.

jb102

jack D and coke
11 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

All depends how much they need to keep going. 

Tax and NI contributions of 4,500 workers versus having to pay those same people benefits for the next X years will cost the Govt - or rather the taxpayer - an awful lot more than £30m. 

And then you have the same issues with the supply chain. 

Government found a billion to try get the DUP onside. Nowt for an entire industry though?

Que sera sera!

One company dies another one rises, is that not how it supposedly works.

Aa well, Up Capitalism and Life on Earth killing growth.

Something's like GT said is worth the debt and could easily be run at a loss. Sometimes people need to be protected, not the profit.

AlphonseCapone
19 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

The Hitler was far right argument has been done to death but it is exactly that..................a myth.

You have never heard Thatcher cited for the pit closures in the UK? Are you on the wind up?

:rofl: you're some boy. 

17 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I was about to post this morning that I hadn't yet seen Jamie Oliver's business collapse attributed to Brexit ... but then I hadn't yet read today's Guardian. I have now ... and of course there it is.

You're apparent opposite viewpoint that nothing should be attributed to Brexit seems equally ridiculous. And I know you'll say, but I haven't claimed that blah blah, but you never seem to actually suggest why Brexit isn't to blame for these things, just simply greet about the Guardian.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

:rofl: you're some boy. 

You're apparent opposite viewpoint that nothing should be attributed to Brexit seems equally ridiculous. And I know you'll say, but I haven't claimed that blah blah, but you never seem to actually suggest why Brexit isn't to blame for these things, just simply greet about the Guardian.

The British steel industry has been in terminal decline for over 40 years. The closure of Scunthorpe is for the same reasons as the last major closure, Redcar in 2015 (unless that was in some way anticipating the 2016 Brexit vote!). British steel can't compete with Chinese steel and steel from other "new economies". It is in the same boat as the steel industries in most of the old developed countries, although un the  UK's case decades of underinvestment has made things even worse than some.

Jamie Oliver's chain failed because it offered overpriced crap food, as I and many others discovered after the first two or three visits years ago..

Uncertainty about post-Brexit trading terms (on which substantive discussions have yet begun) has certainly done some harm to some sectors. The most harm to date has been the shredding of the reputation of the government, parliament and most politicians whose handling of the issue has created much of that uncertainty, including unprecedented uncertainty about future British political stability and landscape.

Francis Albert

The Guardian reports the the UK is now 22nd in terms of the world's steel production( before British Steel went  bust) Just below Egypt. And that China produces 100 times as much steel as the UK.

But Scunthorpe's closure is somehow down to Brexit.

Edited by Francis Albert

10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The Guardian reports the the UK is now 22nd in terms of the world's steel production( before British Steel went  bust) Just below Egypt. And that China produces 100 times as much steel as the UK.

But Scunthorpe's closure is somehow down to Brexit.

Well, that's what the company said!

All these companies getting into trouble and specifically naming Brexit as a contributing factor.

All liars and traitors

:gok:

Francis Albert

When was the last time you heard of a business leader accepting responsibility for the failure of a business.

Brexit is at present the go-to excuse for any failure. Even Jamie Oliver FFS!

Pans Jambo
On 22/05/2019 at 14:18, Governor Tarkin said:

On a social level this will be devestating to those families and communities about to lose their futures.

On a strategic level the skills and technical know-how will be a bigger loss than the infrastructure.

Spot on

doctor jambo

You don't need a steel industry to be the world hub for shady financial transactions.

Therefore nobody will help them.

doctor jambo
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:17, jack D and coke said:

Government found a billion to try get the DUP onside. Nowt for an entire industry though?

are TATA not still producing though?

Port Talbot?