When Last Did You Wear A Tie?

FWJ

I was looking through the wardrobe this morning, opened the drawer with the ties in it and tried to remember the last time I wore one. I think it was at a Golden Wedding do last September.

I remember my uncle - probably the age I am now - would routinely put on a shirt and tie when he went out for a drink on a Friday / Saturday night.  Nowhere fancy, just a bar or the local working-mans’ club.

Changed days.

Thursday. At work. 

Last Saturday. At the races.

My Grandad was the same, out for a pub lunch and the tie would come out. Always really respected him for it making that effort despite his years. 

Edited by Taffin

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I was looking through the wardrobe this morning, opened the drawer with the ties in it and tried to remember the last time I wore one. I think it was at a Golden Wedding do last September.

I remember my uncle - probably the age I am now - would routinely put on a shirt and tie when he went out for a drink on a Friday / Saturday night.  Nowhere fancy, just a bar or the local working-mans’ club.

Changed days.

My grandfather wore a shirt and tie any time he left the house.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My grandfather wore a shirt and tie any time he left the house.

My old man always wore a shirt and tie to the pub. He once refused to go to the pub with me as I had a hole in my jeans and needed a shave, he then relented and let me use his shaving kit so I was at least half respectable. 

been here before

Ties have to be the most pointless articles of clothing ever invented. They serve no discernable purpose. Even if they had a pocket in them for keeping a pencil in or something.

I cant wear one as they make me feel like Im being strangled. On the odd occasion Ive had one on it has to be with the top button undone and then off at the earliest opportunity.

Ive always presumed these older dudes you see still cutting about in them doing the messages or in the boozer are old military types who got into the habit that way.

Bridge of Djoum

Every day at work.

Being a very dapper man about town I enjoy the formality of dressing well. Far too many ill-attired peasants wandering around.

Bridge of Djoum
57 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ties have to be the most pointless articles of clothing ever invented. They serve no discernable purpose. Even if they had a pocket in them for keeping a pencil in or something.

I cant wear one as they make me feel like Im being strangled. On the odd occasion Ive had one on it has to be with the top button undone and then off at the earliest opportunity.

Ive always presumed these older dudes you see still cutting about in them doing the messages or in the boozer are old military types who got into the habit that way.

May I suggest your shirt collar may be too tight and it's really nothing to do with the tie?

I agree they do appear pointless, serve no purpose. 

Unless you especially want to complete your look with a tie, then they are utterly pointless, IMO. I'm glad they are now seen as optional. There was a time, not so long ago, that if you didn't wear one with a suit, then you were looked at very disapprovingly.

They will become as undesirable as the blazer - which was still available in Next during the 90's. The blazer was a separate item and you had to wear separate breeks. Take a butchers at Sandy Jardine on the cover of the Hearts Song 7-inch single for full effect. 

been here before
23 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

May I suggest your shirt collar may be too tight and it's really nothing to do with the tie?

I agree they do appear pointless, serve no purpose. 

Nah its not that. Cant really wear round necked shirts for the same reason.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Nah its not that. Cant really wear round necked shirts for the same reason.

Very sensitive, aren't you?

Image result for winking gif

Салатные палочки

Maroon knitted one for a job interview last July. 

Gorgiewave

Last September or October at a lunch. I'll be wearing one to the Cup Final.

I work at home so no need to dress up, but I enjoy wearing a suit and tie. I had a school uniform with a tie and wore it with pride.

been here before
26 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Very sensitive, aren't you?

Image result for winking gif

In so many ways.

Bridge of Djoum
27 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I assume you have one that's easy to pull off, John ? 

So customers can't throttle you....

:oohmatron:

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Windsor knot I hope otherwise you will look like a paraffin.....

Half Windsor for this cat.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I assume you have one that's easy to pull off, John ? 

So customers can't throttle you....

Definitely 

been here before
6 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Work most days. Anyone who's got an issue with a tie has an issue

I often find the same with anyone who cant complete sentences.

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

I often find the same with anyone who cant complete sentences.

To whom are you

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, been here before said:

Exactly the same here mate, can't stand the fecking things.

Weddings and funerals only. I always look like I'm going to court when in a short and tie. More importantly, I can't stand wearing the fecking things.

Bridge of Djoum
6 minutes ago, superjack said:

Weddings and funerals only. I always look like I'm going to court when in a short and tie. More importantly, I can't stand wearing the fecking things.

Everyone looks ridiculous in such garb...

Image result for angus young'

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Work most days. Anyone who's got an issue with a tie has an issue

Well of course I have and issue with ties, I fecking hate the feckers, and I do everything in my power not to wear them, fortunately only time I need to wear one is weddings & funerals.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Did you get the job? I don't think I'd ever employ a numpty with a knitted tie on.

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Knitted?

Image result for nope gif

3fingersreid

2 weeks ago at my mothers funeral 

don’t particularly like wearing ties 

2 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

Unless you especially want to complete your look with a tie, then they are utterly pointless, IMO. I'm glad they are now seen as optional. There was a time, not so long ago, that if you didn't wear one with a suit, then you were looked at very disapprovingly.

As you should be tbf. It's weird to wear a suit without a tie. By all means don't wear a tie but wear trousers and a shirt but not a suit.

Francis Albert

The Gorgie Suite a couple of years ago. I was fine with it … I approve of dress codes (although I don't think it is compulsory there). On my last visit to the Ritz Bar on Piccadilly (after I had to borrow a tie to get in on my previous visit) the place was full of American and other tourists in shorts and sneakers which destroyed the sense of occasion I was paying £12 or  £15 quid for  a drink to enjoy

4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Every day at work.

Being a very dapper man about town I enjoy the formality of dressing well. Far too many ill-attired peasants wandering around.

I agree with this... I  have always worn a tie for work even though some of my jobs haven't been those you 'need' to wear ties and certainly not mandatory. For me a suit and tie is my uniform and when I wear it it is time for work and get my work head on. Tie off and its back to fun time. I'm in 40s so not that old.. But for me wearing a tie is a mindset.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

I agree with this... I  have always worn a tie for work even though some of my jobs haven't been those you 'need' to wear ties and certainly not mandatory. For me a suit and tie is my uniform and when I wear it it is time for work and get my work head on. Tie off and its back to fun time. I'm in 40s so not that old.. But for me wearing a tie is a mindset.

You, sir are a proper gentleman. Probably seduces countless women and consumes Old-Fashioned's with a style rarely seen these days.

Image result for dapper man cocktail gif

5 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

You, sir are a proper gentleman. Probably seduces countless women and consumes Old-Fashioned's with a style rarely seen these days.

Image result for dapper man cocktail gif

I've always admired you from afar. I've got a collection of ties in my room if you want to... 

You are a woman though eh? 

Edited by LeftBack

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

I've always admired you from afar. I've got a collection of ties in my room if you want to... 

Image result for back away slowly gif

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Did you get the job? I don't think I'd ever employ a numpty with a knitted tie on.

I did. Knitted ties are a sign of class. Especially with the gold tie clip. 

Mate's mother-in-law's funeral last Saturday.

Used to wear one for work then decided I didn't really need to so gave up.

Last time for me was also for a funeral, my work brought in casual dress about 18 months ago and I detest it, much easier being in a suit with shirt and tie, wasn’t going to bother with casual dress but even the senior managers come in wearing jeans and T-shirt so would just look a complete tit being properly dressed for work.

The_razors_edge

A couple of weeks ago for a job interview. Didn’t get the job in case anyone’s interested :sadrobbo:

41 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

A couple of weeks ago for a job interview. Didn’t get the job in case anyone’s interested :sadrobbo:

Having a job's overrated

Gorgie Suite in March, but previously July 17 for a job interview, when even the interviewer didn't brother with a tie.

When companies now want their staff to be creative, innovative and so on, never quite understood why some continue to insist that staff can be mandated to wear a corporate noose round their necks.

Edited by DETTY29

21 hours ago, FWJ said:

Changed days.

My Grandfather's memorial earlier this year.

I P Knightley
23 hours ago, been here before said:

They cover up all those ugly buttons on your shirt or, if you're a fat lad, they cover the gaps between the buttons where your belly shows through.

They catch falling soup and other sauces.

They make a nice scarf on a mildly chilly day.

I've got a ridiculous number of ties but the rules for office attire have changed such that they hardly ever see the light of day. I'm more likely to be wearing a polo shirt than a tie these days. Job interviews and when I'm giving presentations only.