Jocky Wilson Said. Documentary.

Mr Sifter

Just watched this and it left a wee tear in the eye. Took me back to the early eighties, sittin with ma grandad watching wee Jocky in action. A real local hero, I remember being in awe at the thought of this wee guy from Kirkcaldy being World Champion. Unfortunately, he performed in a culture where peeve n fags were almost compulsory, and they obviously contributed greatly to his demise. It was sad to see. A fantastic entertainer, I’ve many a fond memory of watchin The Fife Flyer. 

A great watch for anyone who loves the arrows ??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000553c/jocky-wilson-said

Edited by Mr Sifter

Watched it the other night, it was a really good watch.

Still remember as a baron watching him win the world championship in the early 80s.

The White Cockade
48 minutes ago, superjack said:

Still remember as a baron watching him win the world championship in the early 80s.

hqdefault.jpg

41 minutes ago, superjack said:

Good to see the working man's game enjoyed by barons as well :smiley2:.

Watched it last night - very well made. Good reminder of the rise in the games  popularity in the 80's and the state of Britain (and Kirkcaldy) at the time.

Covered Jocky's personality too. Not always the cheeky chappie - forgotten about  Big Cliff giving him the up you gesture, after World Matchplay in '85

Bridge of Djoum

An era when snooker and darts players in their 30's looked like they were in their mid 50's.

Proper men.

47 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

hqdefault.jpg

44 minutes ago, felix said:

Watched it last night - very well made. Good reminder of the rise in the games  popularity in the 80's and the state of Britain (and Kirkcaldy) at the time.

Covered Jocky's personality too. Not always the cheeky chappie - forgotten about  Big Cliff giving him the up you gesture, after World Matchplay in '85

Good to see kickback not letting me down. Some smartarse or 2 always pounces on a typo.

Saying that, Baron superjack does have a nice sound to it.

ArcticJambo

Watched it this morning at the suggestion of a mate.  Immediately wanted to get to the pub for a sesh.  :thumbsup:

been here before

Recorded it the other night but still to watch it.

3 hours ago, felix said:

Kirckaldy is still like that. Mind you so is the rest of Fife.

Edited by been here before

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

An era when snooker and darts players in their 30's looked like they were in their mid 50's.

Proper men.

Correct.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Les Izemore said:

Darts ain’t died. 5 birds in my local get pinged every day. 

FTFY.

Bridge of Djoum

Jeez. I just got the ''Jackie Wilson said'' reference.

Slow morning.

Had a strong sense of sadness all the way through it. 

He was just an unemployed pub punter who got skelped in his first ever gam of darts in his local. he bought a board and vowed it would never happen again.

I'm utter shite at darts. really bad. (Pool and snooker I'll kick anyones' ass  in the 4/5 pint sweetspot) My dad was apparently very, very good but I didn't inherit the darts talent, just the big ears. 

JW was obviously riding the crest of a wave and was very poorly managed/advised. Drinking was part of the culture of darts obviously but when it started getting big money the smarter ones stopped. Eric Bristow said in his documentary that he was glad Jockey drank so much as he'd never be able to beat him if he knew what he could do without it. Darts wise he wold have been Phil Taylor before Phil Taylor.. 

To see in the programme how he just shut himself off, broke and depressed. Really heart breaking stuff. 

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I loved the Not The Nine O'clock News Darts sketch. :rofl:

"Single pint,.... Another single pint... OH!! Double whiskey!!"..

???

39 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

"Single pint,.... Another single pint... OH!! Double whiskey!!"..

???

Cheers ?

Edited by ri Alban

gashauskis9
4 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Had a strong sense of sadness all the way through it. 

He was just an unemployed pub punter who got skelped in his first ever gam of darts in his local. he bought a board and vowed it would never happen again.

I'm utter shite at darts. really bad. (Pool and snooker I'll kick anyones' ass  in the 4/5 pint sweetspot) My dad was apparently very, very good but I didn't inherit the darts talent, just the big ears. 

JW was obviously riding the crest of a wave and was very poorly managed/advised. Drinking was part of the culture of darts obviously but when it started getting big money the smarter ones stopped. Eric Bristow said in his documentary that he was glad Jockey drank so much as he'd never be able to beat him if he knew what he could do without it. Darts wise he wold have been Phil Taylor before Phil Taylor.. 

To see in the programme how he just shut himself off, broke and depressed. Really heart breaking stuff. 

This.  I had a tear in my eye watching it.  

Say What Again

Watched it this morning. 

I went from feeling emotional with the nostalgia of pride I felt then (and again watching now), rooting for the wee Scottish guy, to feeling emotional about how it turned out for him. 

From scruffy, skint, pub punter, to world champion sports celebrity overnight. 

15 hours ago, been here before said:

Kirckaldy is still like that. Mind you so is the rest of Fife.

Where here about in Fife are you from?

gashauskis9

I’m just glad he didn’t live long enough to get caught up in the Celebrity Big Brother/I’m a Celeb nonsense.  He’d have been an easy target for those ****ers.

Harry Potter
13 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’m just glad he didn’t live long enough to get caught up in the Celebrity Big Brother/I’m a Celeb nonsense.  He’d have been an easy target for those ****ers.

Aye maybe, thought the programme covered the wee man well, loved watching him back in the day, top player of darts.

I P Knightley
18 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Jeez. I just got the ''Jackie Wilson said'' reference.

Slow morning.

Dexys-Midnight-Runners-008.jpg?width=700

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye maybe, thought the programme covered the wee man well, loved watching him back in the day, top player of darts.

It covered him well but it didn't quite get across how much of a nasty little fecker he could be with a drink in him. You could see that Bob Anderson wanted to say more than he did.

43 minutes ago, graygo said:

It covered him well but it didn't quite get across how much of a nasty little fecker he could be with a drink in him. You could see that Bob Anderson wanted to say more than he did.

I thought it covered it reasonably well and with a bit of respect, pointing out he often made an erse of himself through drink, ending up knocking on doors the next day apologising, with apparently no memory of what he was apologising for :freak:

I missed the programme but I remember watching the 1982 final, desperate for him to win it. Thought it was Bristow he beat but apparently not. 

Also recall a few months later he was having to defend his Argentine wife when the Falklands conflict started. Pretty sure Ossie Ardiles had to depart elsewhere on loan because of the abuse he was getting at games.