Celtic jerseys for Sunday

Section Q

Jambothump

I despise both sides of ersehole clubs in Glasgow, firmly believe that celtic only support the Palestinian cause, as yasser arafat supported the ira in the early 70's.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Mikey1874

• Class of 75

• lsimp77

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

The Irish diaspora after the famine was similar in some ways  to the Scottish diaspora after the highland clearances. The economic interests of a handful of landowners (mostly wealthy landowners in the UK)  were put ahead of the lives of the indigenous people of Ireland and Scotland. There was a move a few years ago by James Macmillan the composer to have a permanent memorial to the Irish refugees to Scotland in Glasgow. Some thought, me included, that a joint memorial to both communities would have been appropriate.

Personally I like the fact that football clubs commemorate significant social and political events in their past, just as we do at Hearts. This isn't necessarily a political act by Celtic, unless you want it to be. I'm one of those who think that Celtic are entitled to do this if it reflects the social history of their club, just as we do at Hearts.  

Welll said.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

The Irish diaspora after the famine was similar in some ways  to the Scottish diaspora after the highland clearances. The economic interests of a handful of landowners (mostly wealthy landowners in the UK)  were put ahead of the lives of the indigenous people of Ireland and Scotland. There was a move a few years ago by James Macmillan the composer to have a permanent memorial to the Irish refugees to Scotland in Glasgow. Some thought, me included, that a joint memorial to both communities would have been appropriate.

Personally I like the fact that football clubs commemorate significant social and political events in their past, just as we do at Hearts. This isn't necessarily a political act by Celtic, unless you want it to be. I'm one of those who think that Celtic are entitled to do this if it reflects the social history of their club, just as we do at Hearts.  

Well said.

Geoff Kilpatrick
22 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

There was food available in Ireland at that time that the English took, much a s they did in India, wen people were starving there.

You missed the point but that's fine. Maybe you should read the phrase lack of charity again.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, cheetah said:

Image result for tatos crisps ireland

Wrong, just wrong.

If they aren't from Tandragee they aren't Tayto!

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Will they still be serving chips tomorrow?

With sauce or a Belgian style mayonnaise? 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Good post. I'm not going to let it get in the way of my barely supressed bigotry though. 

Class of 75

It is a political statement and has nothing to do with football. Happy to wear this badge yet complain about poppies. Double standards yet again from this poor excuse for a football club

Edited by Class of 75

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

A great post and I dream of one day this being the Scottish football that we live in. Sadly, it’s not. Celtic know what they are doing and are again playing to the lowest common denominator within their support. Like rangers with their sash top and orange top, Celtic know what they are doing. The famine may well reflected their social history, I’d wager that both world wars impacted their social history and fan base more, yet they always refuse to commemorate that. Like I said, I dream of a Scottish football where Irish politics isn’t played out on a daily/weekly basis but sadly I can’t see it. 

41 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Chips available on both shoulders.....!

Bazzas right boot

Arses. 

Both these clubs exist to wind each other up. 

Wonder how guys like Brown feel about this. 

Scottish guys, with little affiliation to Ireland.

Jambof3tornado
15 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

It is a political statement and has nothing to do with football. Happy to wear this badge yet complain about poppies. Double standards yet again from this poor excuse for a football club

Do they complain about others wearing poppies?? 

Forever Hearts
51 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

Their statement says exactly why they’ll be wearing the badge. Don’t particularly see the anger towards it. Over 1 million people died/emigrated and many emigrated to Glasgow which is why Glasgow/Celtic has a large Irish heritage. It’s only a badge for one game. 

Me neither, because there is no anger towards it. Just a roll of the eyes at Celtic being Celtic. 

One of the most terrible and relatively little known events.

Celtic associating themselves with Ireland. 

I don't remember them doing it previously. 

And there are a lot of other terrible tragedies people could remember. Say the Armenian genocide or the Holocaust. But less associated with Celtic.

Interesting timing with other matters in the news. 

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, Section Q said:

:rofl:

Shooter McGavin

Would’ve thought that they would be more interested in honouring the Lisbon Lions that have passed recently, but apparently not. 

The rat catcher
1 hour ago, lsimp77 said:

Their statement says exactly why they’ll be wearing the badge. Don’t particularly see the anger towards it. Over 1 million people died/emigrated and many emigrated to Glasgow which is why Glasgow/Celtic has a large Irish heritage. It’s only a badge for one game. 

And it has what to do with football???????

I suppose you could equally say the Remembrance events, which Celtic choose not to do, have political connotations also. 

Maybe discussions about Remembrance sparked this. 

glynnlondon

Perhaps the more pertinent question is will they wash them for the occasion ?

The filthy weegie tramps.

54 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

With sauce or a Belgian style mayonnaise? 

Belgie mayo all the way.

33 minutes ago, Section Q said:

:lol: 

16 minutes ago, The rat catcher said:

And it has what to do with football???????

The Irish famine had nothing to do with football, but as others and the Celtic statement have explained, it had an profound impact on the history of Glasgow and the history of Celtic with regards to the mass migration caused by the famine. It has nothing to do with football, but there are many things unrelated to football that people in football remember which have had a profound impact on society and our history, much like the Irish famine.

Yeah

Celtic will be able to do something to recognise child abuse victims next year. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Mid Calder Jambo
1 hour ago, cheetah said:

I got a warning from the Mods for that inference a couple of years ago.  persomnally i have no problem with it though.  Guinness and Chips, there's a diet

Class of 75
46 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Do they complain about others wearing poppies?? 

Some do. They also boo the 2 minutes silence and refuse to wear them on their jerseys. 

The rat catcher
8 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

The Irish famine had nothing to do with football, but as others and the Celtic statement have explained, it had an profound impact on the history of Glasgow and the history of Celtic with regards to the mass migration caused by the famine. It has nothing to do with football, but there are many things unrelated to football that people in football remember which have had a profound impact on society and our history, much like the Irish famine.

People that choose to bring politics into football through tenuous links and only those things that they support politically.

These people need to stay away from football.

3 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Some do. They also boo the 2 minutes silence and refuse to wear them on their jerseys. 

Celtic fans observed the last silence at Livingston impeccably. And their fans on social media mostly backed it. 

Class of 75
2 minutes ago, The rat catcher said:

People that choose to bring politics into football through tenuous links and only those things that they support politically.

These people need to stay away from football.

?

fabienleclerq

Not really got an issue with this, however the cynic in me would ask why they support this cause and not others such as remembrance etc. 

It doesn't take a genius to figure out they're doing exactly what the huns do with armed forces day etc. It's got nothing to do with the cause just keeping up appearances with their bigoted fans. 

Shanks said no

Here are some Edinburgh things for us to remember 30 odd years before we were formed, take your pick

1831: The official government census puts Edinburgh's population at 162,403; James Clerk Maxwell born in India Street; opening of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway (known as The Innocent Railway), the first to come into the city. It uses horse-drawn carriages

1832: Surgeons' Hall by William Henry Playfair, the headquarters of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, completed; outbreak of cholera in the city (recurs 1848 and 1866); The Scotsman newspaper incorporates the Caledonian Mercury

1833: The city goes bankrupt; partly due to the development of Leith docks

1835: No further expansion of the New Town takes place after the incomplete building of Hopetoun Crescent off Leith Walk

Unknown user
3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

These are the posts that help me keep faith in jkb, well said mate.

Football clubs exist for their community and shouldn't care what anyone else thinks, especially rival clubs. 

Having said that, **** Celtic, hard!

Class of 75
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Celtic fans observed the last silence at Livingston impeccably. And their fans on social media mostly backed it. 

Changed days then. However, do Celtic ever play at home on Remembrance weekend or play Hearts or Rangers?  They haven't played at home since 2008 when they embarrassed themselves. They are scheduled to play away from home against less controversial teams 

Edited by Class of 75

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Not really got an issue with this, however the cynic in me would ask why they support this cause and not others such as remembrance etc. 

It doesn't take a genius to figure out they're doing exactly what the huns do with armed forces day etc. It's got nothing to do with the cause just keeping up appearances with their bigoted fans. 

And to deflect from the child abuse. 

1 minute ago, Class of 75 said:

Changed days then. However, do Celtic ever play at home on Remembrance weekend or play Hearts or Rangers?  They haven't played at home since 2008 when they embarrassed themselves

No they don't for home games.

Class of 75
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No they don't for home games.

Exactly. They never play at home on that weekend in case their fans do the wrong thing and start booing. Never been addressed 

Edited by Class of 75

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Football clubs exist for their community and shouldn't care what anyone else thinks

Correct.

Gorgie Rules.

5 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

It's pish like this that keep the scum supporting them.

A despot club.

FTFY

I hadn't noticed that Celtic are always away from home on Remembrance weekend. Presumably, it's not a coincidence. If not, what a disgrace to Scotland, and in particular its football, that the best supported club in it can't be trusted to have a home game because of their fans. That's an embarrassment to us all and not just Celtic. 

Both Celtic and Rangers, with their orange shirts etc., are as bad as each other. They are equality guilty of stuff like this which, whilst not technically sectarian, sleekitly perpetuate the bigotry rampant in both supports.

Some will say Hearts and Hibs have this element in their fan bases but neither club does a single thing to encourage it. If sectarianism between Old Firm fans dropped to the level in the Edinburgh derby, Scotland wouldn't have a problem. The puss filled, open wound that afflicts this country would be nothing more than a slightly irritating itch. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, martoon said:

I hadn't noticed that Celtic are always away from home on Remembrance weekend. Presumably, it's not a coincidence. If not, what a disgrace to Scotland, and in particular its football, that the best supported club in it can't be trusted to have a home game because of their fans. That's an embarrassment to us all and not just Celtic. 

Both Celtic and Rangers, with their orange shirts etc., are as bad as each other. They are equality guilty of stuff like this which, whilst not technically sectarian, sleekitly perpetuate the bigotry rampant in both supports.

Some will say Hearts and Hibs have this element in their fan bases but neither club does a single thing to encourage it. If sectarianism between Old Firm fans dropped to the level in the Edinburgh derby, Scotland wouldn't have a problem. The puss filled, open wound that afflicts this country would be nothing more than a slightly irritating itch. 

It's nothing to do with us. Why should we be embarrassed because of Celtic?

14 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

But the famine was years before they were founded (1845–1849). Is this really necessary?

It led to a mass Irish migration to places including Scotland which ultimately did have an influence on the club forming - and they do it every year.

Is being an arsehole about it really necessary?

Is it really necessary for us to remember the war dead every year?

What a stupid post - just because it involves Celtic and catholic’s.

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It led to a mass Irish migration to places including Scotland which ultimately did have an influence on the club forming - and they do it every year.

Is being an arsehole about it really necessary?

Is it really necessary for us to remember the war dead every year?

What a stupid post - just because it involves Celtic and catholic’s.

Yes. 

7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It's nothing to do with us. Why should we be embarrassed because of Celtic?

What Celtic and Rangers do, clubs and fan bases, is a stain on Scottish football. We are part of Scottish football. 

Just looking at the wider picture for a moment. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, martoon said:

What Celtic and Rangers do, clubs and fan bases, is a stain on Scottish football. We are part of Scottish football. 

Just looking at the wider picture for a moment. 

What they do is a stain on them, not us. 

Hearts1975
13 hours ago, martoon said:

They should have worn the shirts last week at Ibrox. ?

A bit cowardly not too, imo. 

Presumably what they're doing is not breaking any rules but it does stink to high heaven of perpetuating the ills that affect the game up here. A deliberate, wilful move to play to their fans and maintain their mindless adulation of all things Ireland. 

This move will not put a single crumb into the mouth of a starving child today. All it will do is keep flaming the fires of sectarianism in Scottish football and, for Celtic and Rangers, keep those cash registers busy. 

Disgusting. 

Fantastic summation above 

Dirty Deeds
13 hours ago, martoon said:

They should have worn the shirts last week at Ibrox. ?

A bit cowardly not too, imo. 

Presumably what they're doing is not breaking any rules but it does stink to high heaven of perpetuating the ills that affect the game up here. A deliberate, wilful move to play to their fans and maintain their mindless adulation of all things Ireland. 

This move will not put a single crumb into the mouth of a starving child today. All it will do is keep flaming the fires of sectarianism in Scottish football and, for Celtic and Rangers, keep those cash registers busy. 

Disgusting. 

The shirts will be auctioned and cash given to the Celtic Foundation.  The Celtic Foundation fund a food bank in Glasgow's east end.  This move will put food into the mouths of starving children.

Psychedelicropcircle

Hypocrisy runs through them at every level......the we’re keeping it real with our historical birth.......with a Tory lord on the board:robbo: