Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Mikey1874

• Class of 75

• lsimp77

Top Posters In This Topic

maroonsgotop
17 minutes ago, Section Q said:

It might be a worthy cause but to me it shows their roots and allegiance are firmly in another country. And before anyone points the finger, no, I'm not a unionist or nationalist. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/celtic-to-wear-famine-memorial-jerseys-in-final-league-match-against-hearts-1-4929743

yep. recognise an Irish famine but not the millions of lives lost in the  war(s)

maroonsgotop
17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

We'll be wearing Save the Children 

that'll do for me and was a great move by the club

Shanks said no

But the famine was years before they were founded (1845–1849). Is this really necessary?

26 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

yep. recognise an Irish famine but not the millions of lives lost in the  war(s)

?????

24 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

But the famine was years before they were founded (1845–1849). Is this really necessary?

Our own highland clearances are no less tragic but why would you want to involve football in this....?

jambo-fletch

This gesture has **** all to do with football! As far I’m concerned football and politics should be kept apart. They will be lapping up the victim card with this! Their club is steeped in bigotry. **** Celtic!

Edited by jambo-fletch

They should have worn the shirts last week at Ibrox. ?

A bit cowardly not too, imo. 

Presumably what they're doing is not breaking any rules but it does stink to high heaven of perpetuating the ills that affect the game up here. A deliberate, wilful move to play to their fans and maintain their mindless adulation of all things Ireland. 

This move will not put a single crumb into the mouth of a starving child today. All it will do is keep flaming the fires of sectarianism in Scottish football and, for Celtic and Rangers, keep those cash registers busy. 

Disgusting. 

N Lincs Jambo

Someone I respect greatly (Dundee Utd fan fwiw) once said to me “it’s not so much what is said that’s important but who is saying it and for what reason “. 

For me the famine was a crime against humanity and as such should be remembered and by far more than the Irish diaspora.

When Celtic FC do it I don’t trust their motives just like I didn’t when they insisted on yet another minute’s silence (they had already had one) for a recently deceased Pope. I sincerely hope that Hearts (club and fans) just ignore this and let them get on with it.

My take is that they will be looking at an angle to get their players sufficiently motivated/angry ahead of the cup final which they will get if we react negatively.

The other alternative is for us to embrace it completely bearing in mind we could potentially have 3 players in our starting lineup who could potentially represent the Republic of Ireland opposed to their none ?

1 hour ago, lsimp77 said:

Fair play to them. Worthy cause and a tragedy that should never be forgotten.

Is your second 7 for Malmo or have you got a stutter?

The rat catcher
1 hour ago, lsimp77 said:

By footballers from another country? Really?

Engage brain please.

Forever Hearts
7 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

It was a tragedy that had nothing to do with football. Celtic being Celtic. Again. 

Geoff the Mince

It's pish like this that keep them in the dark ages ,

A despot club supported by scum .

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

We'll be wearing Save the Children 

Presumably that's because there are children currently in need of some saving. 

It's probably a bit late for folk caught up in the great Irish famine. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Presumably that's because there are children currently in need of some saving. 

It's probably a bit late for folk caught up in the great Irish famine. 

I find that response hard to disagree with 

Been very quiet about their paedo convicted coach and the suffering and damage done to the victims and families of that beast. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
9 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Are they not already having something to do with McNeill and Chalmers on their kits?

That's for the final. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Jamdub said:

Been very quiet about their paedo convicted coach and the suffering and damage done to the victims and families of that beast. 

Surprising when they usually give out statements left, right and centre if a ref gives a throw-in against them. 

Dirty Deeds

I guess the famine led to mass migration, including Scotland and the eventual founding of Hibs and Celtic. 

It shouldn't be forgotten but I'm not sure this is the correct place to remember it.

upgotheheads

The Irish diaspora after the famine was similar in some ways  to the Scottish diaspora after the highland clearances. The economic interests of a handful of landowners (mostly wealthy landowners in the UK)  were put ahead of the lives of the indigenous people of Ireland and Scotland. There was a move a few years ago by James Macmillan the composer to have a permanent memorial to the Irish refugees to Scotland in Glasgow. Some thought, me included, that a joint memorial to both communities would have been appropriate.

Personally I like the fact that football clubs commemorate significant social and political events in their past, just as we do at Hearts. This isn't necessarily a political act by Celtic, unless you want it to be. I'm one of those who think that Celtic are entitled to do this if it reflects the social history of their club, just as we do at Hearts.  

Jambothump
9 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Couldnt give a shite. Its a badge on a kit.

Seconded, famine, caused by the english as were the highland clearances.

We should commemorate with them just to see the look on their faces.

Be like when we done the huddle at 4-0.

I'll never forget the disgust on their faces (hopefully the same disgust will appear next Saturday).

Mid Calder Jambo
8 hours ago, martoon said:

They should have worn the shirts last week at Ibrox. ?

A bit cowardly not too, imo. 

Presumably what they're doing is not breaking any rules but it does stink to high heaven of perpetuating the ills that affect the game up here. A deliberate, wilful move to play to their fans and maintain their mindless adulation of all things Ireland. 

This move will not put a single crumb into the mouth of a starving child today. All it will do is keep flaming the fires of sectarianism in Scottish football and, for Celtic and Rangers, keep those cash registers busy. 

Disgusting. 

Could not have put it better myself.  Celtic are not a football club they are a political organistion who play football to stoke the fires of religous bigotry.

davemclaren

Don’t see the problem myself. I would think that a lot of the people that formed Celtic came from families that moved here from Ireland due to the famine. 

Forever Hearts
30 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Care to elaborate on that? 

Dirty Deeds
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

It was a tragedy that had nothing to do with football. Celtic being Celtic. Again. 

But did lead to Irish migration to Scotland which in turn led to the forming of Hibs and Celtic. 

Its ignorant to deny the connection. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, Dirty Deeds said:

But did lead to Irish migration to Scotland which in turn led to the forming of Hibs and Celtic. 

We can find a tenuous link to anything if we look hard enough. It's just Celtic at their ambulance chasing best. 

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

That’s the tragedy. 

letsalldothebeattie
10 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

:spoton:

innerjambo

An Irish football club, playing in an Irish loving city, which unfortunately happens to be in Scotland. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Jambothump said:

It was more money grabbing clan chiefs who saw sheep farming as more lucrative than collecting rent from the crofters on the land. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Jambothump said:

Er, the famine was caused by insects! The lack of charity shown to the starving was a result of the Liberal government at the time.

Jambothump
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Er, the famine was caused by insects! The lack of charity shown to the starving was a result of the Liberal government at the time.

There was food available in Ireland at that time that the English took, much a s they did in India, wen people were starving there.

Jambothump
9 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It was more money grabbing clan chiefs who saw sheep farming as more lucrative than collecting rent from the crofters on the land. 

Yes, the clan chiefs who had nothing to do with their clans, except expelling them from their lands, (clan chiefs ownership, Clansmen cultivated)while they lived it up in  London

Their statement says exactly why they’ll be wearing the badge. Don’t particularly see the anger towards it. Over 1 million people died/emigrated and many emigrated to Glasgow which is why Glasgow/Celtic has a large Irish heritage. It’s only a badge for one game.