What’s your favourite (current AND old school) aftershave?

Mr Sifter

Always liked a wee bit splash, from my formative years to the present day. From my first encounters with Jazz, Joop and Cool Waters, to Issey Miyake and CK One,* I’ve always had a particular favourite at any moment in time. Just now it’s Gentleman by Givenchy, but my favourite old school classic has got to be a wee bit Fahrenheit. So what’s your current, and old school, favourite?

*No doubt there will be some aftershave snob out there laughing at my choices, but feck ye, I liked them and that’s what counts ?

726C362F-981C-4F8F-AFBE-92B7633F64EA.jpeg

3DFBAEBC-A531-4036-83CD-4F4E7AD3B771.jpeg

Edited by Mr Sifter

Currently rotate between Spicebomb and Armani Stronger With You.  Totally different scents, but like them both equally.

Use to be a fan of Armani Code but they changed it a good few years ago, and it's never been the same.  Also, my Mum bought it for my Dad one Christmas, and I can't go around wearing the same aftershave as my Dad :lol: 

William H. Bonney

I think I’ve had the same bottle of issey miyake for about 15 years. I hardly ever wear aftershave. 

Probably a "common" answer but 1 Million by Paco Rabane has probably been my go to for the last year or so

24 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I think I’ve had the same bottle of issey miyake for about 15 years. I hardly ever wear aftershave. 

Its a quality choice to be fair ??

1 minute ago, crunchy frog said:

For the man who doesn't have to try too hard......

denim.JPG

Knew it wouldnae be too long until that turned up. Only waiting for Hi Karate, Brut and Old Spice now to make up the set ?

As an aside, how much would you expect to pay for a bottle of aftershave? I’d probably go up to maybe £60 max for 50ml. Aftershave is like wine though, you’ll pay what you think you need to for something you enjoy, and not often a penny more!

William H. Bonney

I think ck1 was the first bottle I bought. I was assured i would definitely pull with that on. 

It didn’t work. 

37 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

As an aside, how much would you expect to pay for a bottle of aftershave? I’d probably go up to maybe £60 max for 50ml. Aftershave is like wine though, you’ll pay what you think you need to for something you enjoy, and not often a penny more!

I have a good friend works in duty free. He only does a day or two a month for this discount. I get perfumes and aftershaves at silly prices. Recently got a Marc Jacobs perfume that’s in the shops for £70+ for £25. He better not leave, I’ll be bereft. 

doctor jambo

Old school  either Davidoff cool water OR Ultraviolet

New - either Chanel Blue, or YSL Intense

Funny this should come up. I've currently got a handwash (some blue Imperial Leather stuff) which smells exactly like Polo Ralph Lauren. 

Fair takes me back! 

I P Knightley
23 minutes ago, Cygnet said:

005486EA-F61B-4C60-8BB5-47FC59CF8F82.jpeg

:biglaugh:

That, Denim and Old Spice. Those are proper aftershaves.

Hardly use any myself but for a special occasion, I'll pop on a wee bit of Yves St Laurent Eau de Toilette. It comes in a maroon box.

And the ladies come in gallons.

Edited by I P Knightley

28 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

:biglaugh:

That, Denim and Old Spice. Those are proper aftershaves.

Hardly use any myself but for a special occasion, I'll pop on a wee bit of Yves St Laurent Eau de Toilette. It comes in a maroon box.

And the ladies come in gallons.

Don’t forget BRUT bud! :rofl:

Carl Weathers
2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I fancy a bottle of Creed Aventus but a bit pricey at £150 for 50ml. Will probably get it next time I'm buying some aftershave.

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

That needs to go in the bucket, wouldn’t be putting that anywhere near my skin.

23 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Have been using this for a few years.

71Nw3tRHQdL._SY450_.jpg

weegranty knows his aftershaves, only one I use now.

Can’t remember them all, but these have been a few of my  favourites over the years

0D6E6A94-387B-4D51-AAF8-B885B57D16DF.jpeg

CBA92C8A-E3B6-482B-8195-D1F78092A7F0.jpeg

2E377A9B-69EF-4B65-989E-43410CD59767.png

0F7F8B21-1061-48CA-A311-8198F745C5F4.jpeg

rambothejambo

Chanel's Anteus is an old school classic, along with Aramis 900 & Devin. Now progressed on to Aventus by Creed. Mega expensive but does smell superb.

Old skool yins.    Original Paco and original Joop.

Current yins.    Original Paco and original Joop.    Chuck in CK One I suppose.

1 hour ago, rambothejambo said:

Chanel's Anteus is an old school classic, along with Aramis 900 & Devin. Now progressed on to Aventus by Creed. Mega expensive but does smell superb.

At £250 a bottle, how long are you expecting this to last you? Two months, six months, a year? That’s an awfy lot for a bottle of aftershave like ?

BD027A4F-2AB2-431C-8318-6F659D632FD9.jpeg

Shanks said no

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male Eau de Toilette Spray 40ml, 40ml, large

Its been Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male for quite a few years. There is one female at work who goes moist when she catches a sniff of it.

Салатные палочки

Current is either Boss The Scent or Boss Orange. They rarely make a bad scent. 

Old Skool would need to be Cool Waters. I still buy a bottle now and again.

I still like a bit of Issey Miyake and Cerutti 1881 for work. 

Салатные палочки
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male Eau de Toilette Spray 40ml, 40ml, large

Its been Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male for quite a few years. There is one female at work who goes moist when she catches a sniff of it.

:sweeet:

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, weegranty said:

Always liked

71aveL2XiGL._SY355_.jpg

That, combined with the smell of a leather bomber jacket, drink and smoke is the smell of my old man coming back from the boozer on a Sunday. 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Cygnet said:

Don’t forget BRUT bud! :rofl:

Christ! How could I have let that slip. 

Splash it all over 'enry!

The question should be, where do we cross the line between after shave and "scent"?

3 hours ago, rambothejambo said:

Chanel's Anteus is an old school classic.

My scent of choice for years. 

Hilariously my old dear gave me an Old Spice gift set a couple of Christmas' ago. I decided to wear some one day and it was amazing the amount of compliments I got on it, then peoples confusion after I told them what it was. It's a proper manly old school smell, all sandalwood and the like. 

Alot of Superdrug specials on here  ::troll::

It was my birthday last week and my son used his pocket money (good lad, about a tenner?) and bought me Lacoste Red. 

Not full-on old school but a bit of a yesterday Lacoste. However, having not had it for years it was actually ok. 

Looking back m and when I felt brave , I’d sneak a splash of my Dad’s Brut he’d leave out in the bathroom. This was after shaving the bumfluff every 4 weeks as a 14 year old in the 80s ?

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

At £250 a bottle, how long are you expecting this to last you? Two months, six months, a year? That’s an awfy lot for a bottle of aftershave like ?

BD027A4F-2AB2-431C-8318-6F659D632FD9.jpeg

I originally baulked at the price but my brother got given a bottle by his bursd and after having a wee splash I bought it it’s class. You don’t need to splash a lot on and tbh I’m always a bit wary of overdoing it too. 

It needs tae last at that price :lol: 

6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That needs to go in the bucket, wouldn’t be putting that anywhere near my skin.

weegranty knows his aftershaves, only one I use now.

Can’t remember them all, but these have been a few of my  favourites over the years

0D6E6A94-387B-4D51-AAF8-B885B57D16DF.jpeg

CBA92C8A-E3B6-482B-8195-D1F78092A7F0.jpeg

2E377A9B-69EF-4B65-989E-43410CD59767.png

0F7F8B21-1061-48CA-A311-8198F745C5F4.jpeg

That bottle of obsession. I was bought a bottle over 20 years ago and still have over half of it left, don't really use it now.

Old school though, used to use rapport.

Really old school, insignia was the juice of kings.

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, superjack said:

That bottle of obsession. I was bought a bottle over 20 years ago and still have over half of it left, don't really use it now.

Old school though, used to use rapport.

Really old school, insignia was the juice of kings.

Don’t use it anyway, it’ll be off. It will smell awful.

luckyBatistuta

A few blasts from the past, used to get stuff like this from my auntie at Christmas, as she worked for Avon

5A866B86-A0C2-4A12-8A72-B7F4A8708AF0.jpeg

7E47AB1F-F733-4CAE-89EC-A095C1A4E5CD.jpeg

7CE6B2C7-9F37-4659-BFB9-35A48F1E5AAC.png

Sooperstar

As someone who has a favourite which includes 'blue' in the name I would like to ask: what is the obsession with the colour blue in terms of aftershave names? It seems rife.

Edited by Sooperstar

I can't wear aftershave these days, brings me out in a rash. When I did, 1970's & 80's , I started with Aramis moved to Drakkar Noir before graduating to Givenchy Gentleman. Jonno's sartorial description of his hunt for Manto in those days brings back fond memories of fashion disasters.

jack D and coke

A few blasts from the past, used to get stuff like this from my auntie at Christmas, as she worked for Avon

7E47AB1F-F733-4CAE-89EC-A095C1A4E5CD.jpeg

7CE6B2C7-9F37-4659-BFB9-35A48F1E5AAC.png

Blue Stratos :lol:

Dodgiest looking bottle ever.