Lunchtime Pint

cheetah

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Lighten up man, its British culture :lol: 

Would you ride your scooter after a beer?

Not a chance mate, I only use it to go out with my boy.

And feck British culture, I wouldn't tolerate it with any of my colleagues either and I don't even pay them.

chester copperpot
20 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Worked in the Council tax dept at Chesser about 7/8 years ago. My two hour Friday lunchtime trip to the Chesser then hour and a half piss about in the office before going back to the pub absolutely made the job tbh. :lol:

This was my first job so thought I

This was what they all did. Then I left uni, and worked for a bank ?

15 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

And feck British culture, I wouldn't tolerate it with any of my colleagues either and I don't even pay them.

I'm with you, if some desk jockey wants to get half jugged the worst they can do is muck up some paperwork or accidentally transfer a few million to the wrong account. I work in a potentially dangerous environment and a lot of my time is spent working at height. I don't want someone who has had a liquid lunch cutting about the place below me. 

20 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I'm with you, if some desk jockey wants to get half jugged the worst they can do is muck up some paperwork or accidentally transfer a few million to the wrong account. I work in a potentially dangerous environment and a lot of my time is spent working at height. I don't want someone who has had a liquid lunch cutting about the place below me. 

Image result for lunchtime drinking

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I recently watched a fred dibnah programme from the 70s on you tube. He was on about having a few pints at lunch and then climbing back up the chimney stack afterwards. He said he always took his time after a few jars, for safety reasons. He also said the biggest danger was needing a piss when at the top. 2 choices, do it down the chimney he was working on, or use the wind to help water a few peoples gardens.

When I worked at Intelligent Finance early/mid 00's a few of us in my team would go to the Livingston Inn for lunch. Usually a couple of pints and a chicken baguette or similar..

This one time two of us went and had 6 pints of stella each (proper Stella when it was 5.2%, gave you a headache as you were drinking it) then he drove us back to work. 

I spent the entire afternoon between the water cooler, the toilet and my desk (I was admin so not on the phones)… 

Lesson learnt was that you cant' piss and work at the same time. 

frankblack

In my first job in the mid 90s the boozer was across the road and we had other options too.  Sometimes you could go across to the boozer at lunchtime and the managing director would be there and you wouldn't go back to the office.

In my last couple of jobs I either had to drive to work or your contracts had explicit clauses about drinking on company time where it wasn't company sponsored.

11 hours ago, TheStig said:

I'll be home for 7 tonight, off tomorrow and the first pint of best won't even have settled  and it will be gone ?

If you finish when your ment to and you get a day off you must work for first. 

On 17/05/2019 at 15:37, The Real Maroonblood said:

People wonder why the UK is f****d.

See above posts.:laugh:

If the Square Mile keep the country afloat, then the real answer to waht keeps the country in business is the mount of coke  the traders put up their noses.

Edited by DETTY29

The Gorgie
58 minutes ago, Herbert said:

If you finish when your ment to and you get a day off you must work for first. 

Won't say specifically what company i work for but the buses are lovely Hearts colours...

Rupert Custard

Everyone used to go for a couple of pints back in the 80’s. Worked in York Place so spoilt for choice with Leeries, Mathers, Conan Doyle all nearby. If feeling adventurous we would go to Tiles or Finsbury Park.

nowadays it seems no one goes for a lunchtime drink.

Edited by Rupert Custard

8 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Won't say specifically what company i work for but the buses are lovely Hearts colours...

Atleast your no on those green things ?

frankblack
49 minutes ago, Rupert Custard said:

Everyone used to go for a couple of pints back in the 80’s. Worked in York Place so spoilt for choice with Leeries, Mathers, Conan Doyle all nearby. If feeling adventurous we would go to Tiles or Finsbury Park.

As I said above, people have it written into their contract as a disciplinary offense if they come into work smelling of alcohol or go out for a liquid lunch unless its company sponsored.

If you finish sharp at 4pm and go to the boozer, then I guess all is OK if you don't get yourself unfit for work the next day on a school night.

The Gorgie
9 hours ago, Herbert said:

Atleast your no on those green things ?

One of my best mates drives for ECB and its fantastic seeing him in a green and white tie ?

the general
On 18/05/2019 at 05:32, Tommy Brown said:

it was only a couple of times.

Quite a sight of about 40 16-17 year olds crowded round them on the pub floor:lol:

Mechanical technician also:thumbsup:

Went eventually to Napier for last last year's of day release. Too many were British Leyland apprentices. We hit the pub too regular and failed to return. Gave up the course half through.

Worked in Telephone House and we were on flexi.3 hour lunches were the norm. Gogos at the Westfield or last furlong went on for a good few months.

The BT lunchtime pub of choice changed regularly from the Furlong.wheaters.chesser.telecomms club then Luckies.

davemclaren
19 hours ago, Rupert Custard said:

Spent many a lunchtime/afternoon/evening in Leerie’s from 1985 until it closed early 90s. After that Tiles was our pub of choice until moving to Edinburgh Park in 96 which basically killed lunchtime drinking 

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

In Leeries it was the matted carpet that held the floor up. 

Didn't you ever pop over to The Ritz on your non driving days, Dave ? 

Not often. 

12 hours ago, TheStig said:

One of my best mates drives for ECB and its fantastic seeing him in a green and white tie ?

Those guys are crabbit dunno if it's the shit wages but they never wave back. 

The Gorgie
16 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Those guys are crabbit dunno if it's the shit wages but they never wave back. 

According to my mate the feeling in the garage is that they are hard done by because they don't earn the money lothian drivers do.

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

According to my mate the feeling in the garage is that they are hard done by because they don't earn the money lothian drivers do.

Yeah it's like 10.50 a hour. The country guys get more than them aswell. I would have thought all of the new drivers would be paid the same no matter what garage to stop the moaning and people leaving as soon as they can get a transfer but what do I know. 

Time for a Monday pick me up pint soon (16 min to be exact) 

Worked in Land Registry on London Road we'd pile into Jocks Lodge. Never realised what a bunch of alcies they were in my first office job. Most would take a 2 hour lunch :wacko: The amount drank in that time was enough to floor the most hardened drinkers. 

Montgomery Brewster
On 17/05/2019 at 14:10, Mr Sifter said:

I started in Standard Life in 1994, and it was the done thing for the entire department to hit Dan MacKays (now AuBar in Shandwick all) on Friday lunchtimes. I’m talkin from department manager to cleaners, and everyone in between. Used to sit there for two hours gettin as much drink down us as possible, then we’d all get back to the office to piss about for a couple of hours until hometime. I was only 18, but remember watching my department manager sitting pissed one Friday making paper aeroplanes, and thinking to myself that working there was always gonnae be brilliant. 

I was wrong ?

86 for me. When it was still a good company. 

We used to drink in the George Hotel Social Club. This was staff only but my mate new the steward. 

80p a pint

60p a nip or 80p a double including mixer.

in there from 11.46 (it took 1 minute from the back of 3 George street) until 2.27. Took longer to stoat back along the back alley on the way back.

blootered. Then back in for more from 3.46 until closing time. Styx, the beau and rakes were also frequented. 

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, the general said:

Good choices ... I forgot all about the George Hotel social club  

Happy hazy memories 

Was a sad day when it closed