Lunchtime Pint

cheetah

Can't beat a pint at lunchtime and getting paid for it too. 

Only usually do it on a Friday or Monday but love it. ? 

I started in Standard Life in 1994, and it was the done thing for the entire department to hit Dan MacKays (now AuBar in Shandwick all) on Friday lunchtimes. I’m talkin from department manager to cleaners, and everyone in between. Used to sit there for two hours gettin as much drink down us as possible, then we’d all get back to the office to piss about for a couple of hours until hometime. I was only 18, but remember watching my department manager sitting pissed one Friday making paper aeroplanes, and thinking to myself that working there was always gonnae be brilliant. 

I was wrong ?

chester copperpot

Used to work for the council when council tax first replaced Poll Tax during my first year at Uni over the summer.

On a Friday, the dept manager took us all down to the Chesser and we would try shovel as many pints down our necks as possible during the hour.

Friday afternoons were always a riot answering phones to pissed off residents who had gotten the council tax bandings wrong! We would all be sitting there half cut slurring our words! Not a care in the world.

davemclaren
24 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

I started in Standard Life in 1994, and it was the done thing for the entire department to hit Dan MacKays (now AuBar in Shandwick all) on Friday lunchtimes. I’m talkin from department manager to cleaners, and everyone in between. Used to sit there for two hours gettin as much drink down us as possible, then we’d all get back to the office to piss about for a couple of hours until hometime. I was only 18, but remember watching my department manager sitting pissed one Friday making paper aeroplanes, and thinking to myself that working there was always gonnae be brilliant. 

I was wrong ?

Yip, insurance companies discovered professionalism in the late 90s and the world changed forever. 

Салатные палочки
30 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I can't stop at one, buddy.

I agree with this.  I can't have one pint, so best to avoid it altogether. 

Did it years ago when I worked in Social Work.  Friday afternoons were a write-off, just clock watching until 4pm when we could leave and go to top it up. 

Couldn't handle it these days though. 

Tommy Brown

As an apprentice at Ferranti 1980, we headed down to the Westfield (Murrayfield Sports Bar) a few times for the go-go's.

i'm sure it was Alloa ales, bloody rancid pint of skol.

laters years, the dookit. then at Gyle up to the dodger or sighthill hotel.

couldn't handle doing it now.

SpruceBringsteen
24 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Used to work for the council when council tax first replaced Poll Tax during my first year at Uni over the summer.

On a Friday, the dept manager took us all down to the Chesser and we would try shovel as many pints down our necks as possible during the hour.

Friday afternoons were always a riot answering phones to pissed off residents who had gotten the council tax bandings wrong! We would all be sitting there half cut slurring our words! Not a care in the world.

Worked in the Council tax dept at Chesser about 7/8 years ago. My two hour Friday lunchtime trip to the Chesser then hour and a half piss about in the office before going back to the pub absolutely made the job tbh. :lol:

An ex-St Andrew Square life/pensions worker flex time was genius.

Clock off 11:45, back in 14:15, then 1hr 45 mins of purgatory until the 16:00 clock off.

When I was an apprentice in the cooncil, it was the puddleometer that decided when we went the pub 

An apprentice Fecking Alky.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I can't stop at one, buddy.

Didn't, had 3 (lagunitas 6.2%) then back to work, sitting watching the clock, 15 min and then back to boozer.

******* love Fridays :lol: 

I used to work in a partnership with a 50-year-old art director when I was freelancing in London. He used to have 4/5 pints every lunch time and was a nightmare to work with in the afternoon. 

Right time to get back on it.

Monday lunchtime pint will be required :lol: 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

As an apprentice at Ferranti 1980, we headed down to the Westfield (Murrayfield Sports Bar) a few times for the go-go's.

I was there in 1981 and nobody told me there were go-go's in the Westfield, feel cheated.  :( 

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, cheetah said:

Can't beat a pint at lunchtime and getting paid for it too. 

Only usually do it on a Friday or Monday but love it. ? 

Drinking at work has its pros. Increased confidence, always good in the workplace, yes I can see that man growing as an employee.  But also that feeling of what happens if you make a mistake, 'the I had a drink excuse' probably doesn't really wash for the bosses

Sooperstar

Was based in Robbie Ave when I first started with the bank. Crowd of us would go to Mr Q's most days to play pool and have a pint. Fridays we usually had a couple of shots too. 

Better call Saul

Worked as a butcher in a supermarket in the early 90s used to head for a few (3) pints at lunch then go back to work slicing / boning out & using the cleaver accurately was challenging.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I worked in Melville Street late 90s. William Street boozers most Friday lunch times were the norm. Then round to Henry J Beans at finishing time. 

Edited by Gavsy Van Gaverson

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, graygo said:

I was there in 1981 and nobody told me there were go-go's in the Westfield, feel cheated.  :( 

Mechanical or Electronic apprentice?

You may not have been at the Westfield in 1981 but were you there in 1985 for our end of apprenticeship stag night?

Used to work just round the corner from the Playhouse on Blenheim Place so always used to be Friday lunchtimes (and plenty other days too) in the Theatre Royal. A mate I worked with had a flat nearby so a lunchtime joint was a fairly regular occurrence too! ?

Edited by Benzinho

Used to work in George street in the late 80’s early 90’s and every lunchtime was a few pints in rose street. A given and although I was only 18ish it was mental. Could smoke as well in the office.

how times have changed

The Gorgie

Pints for lunch sounds great, sometimes its crap being a bus driver we can't have that privilege. Infact its not sometimes crap, its always crap.

Edited by TheStig

2 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Pints for lunch sounds great, sometimes its crap being a bus driver we can't have that privilege. Infact its not sometimes crap, its always crap.

Bleedin' jobsworth!

Used to do it on payday when I was 18 and worked in an office. Pretty much the whole office went and I would often fall asleep when we got back.

The lack of alcohol policy (or enforcement of it) in offices, even to this day astounds me. If somebody worked for me they'd best not come back if they decided to have a beer at lunch time.

14 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Used to do it on payday when I was 18 and worked in an office. Pretty much the whole office went and I would often fall asleep when we got back.

The lack of alcohol policy (or enforcement of it) in offices, even to this day astounds me. If somebody worked for me they'd best not come back if they decided to have a beer at lunch time.

Its a bit strange that there is as you say no policy regarding alcohol, but I don't think it is unusual. Here now that marijuana has been legalised, lots of companies are reviewing policies, relative to the use of marijuana during working hours.

When I worked in the buses at Shrubhill the Shrub bar was the regular lunchtime trip. 45 minute lunch and there were plenty guys who did 5 pints. Very few buses were repaired on Friday afternoons. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

When I worked in the buses at Shrubhill the Shrub bar was the regular lunchtime trip. 45 minute lunch and there were plenty guys who did 5 pints. Very few buses were repaired on Friday afternoons. 

I'm told by the older guys at work that in the British Rail days that the local pub was the unofficial mess room. Spare train drivers and guards were holding the bar up. It was common for pissed up guys to be driving trains. 

You can be sacked for even eating in licensed premises these days.

Pans Jambo

Fond memories. 

I worked at Laidlaw Leasing at Portobello in the late 80’s. 

Most Fridays half the office would decant to the Forresters in Porty high Street for a game or 2 of pool and 4 pints. Friday afternoons were a blur...& then I drove home to the Pans at 5 ?

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I was an apprentice at Ferranti in the 80s.   The gaffer and I used to spend too much time in The Mill.     

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yep.   Doocot or McKenzies when at Silverknowes.    Sighthill Hotel when at the Gyle.     

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Benzinho said:

Used to work just round the corner from the Playhouse on Blenheim Place so always used to be Friday lunchtimes (and plenty other days too) in the Theatre Royal. A mate I worked with had a flat nearby so a lunchtime joint was a fairly regular occurrence too! ?

When I worked in IBM in Greenock in the late 90s, a lunchtime bucket was an every day occurrence at a workmates house. 

:cornette:

Absolutely smashed. Luckily packing boxes wasn't challenging work.

When on day release from Ferranti at Telford College... skive the afternoon,    up town to wonderful places like the Cotters Howf.      

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mechanical or Electronic apprentice?

You may not have been at the Westfield in 1981 but were you there in 1985 for our end of apprenticeship stag night?

Mechanical Technician mate and no I wasn't there.

Shanks said no
53 minutes ago, graygo said:

Mechanical Technician mate and no I wasn't there.

small world, so was I !

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

small world, so was I !

It is, mind you they took on hundreds of us every year.

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, graygo said:

It is, mind you they took on hundreds of us every year.

Yes but only about 50 mechanical and not all technician apprentices

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Yes but only about 50 mechanical and not all technician apprentices

True, only the elite got those positions.  :verysmug:

Sooperstar
3 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

£1 a drink 'office parties' at Subway, Establishment and Cav. 

Home by 8. ?

E-tab! What a night. Flash your work ID to get in. Closed on the night of the Gretna final.

Tommy Brown
13 hours ago, graygo said:

it was only a couple of times.

Quite a sight of about 40 16-17 year olds crowded round them on the pub floor:lol:

Mechanical technician also:thumbsup:

Went eventually to Napier for last last year's of day release. Too many were British Leyland apprentices. We hit the pub too regular and failed to return. Gave up the course half through.

Riddley Walker

3 pints, 2 joints was the sometimes daily ritual at a call centre I used to work at when I was younger. And you wonder why it's a nightmare calling these places :lol:

No chance of lunchtime pints in my current job. Maybe need a new one.

10 hours ago, TheStig said:

Just do it anyway. Alcohol would numb the pain of the shit we've to deal with.

12 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Lighten up man, its British culture :lol: 

Would you ride your scooter after a beer?

The Gorgie
2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Just do it anyway. Alcohol would numb the pain of the shit we've to deal with.

I'll be home for 7 tonight, off tomorrow and the first pint of best won't even have settled  and it will be gone ?

13 hours ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

£1 a drink 'office parties' at Subway, Establishment and Cav. 

Home by 8. ?

Glorious glorious days.

Budgie's Boyfriend

While at Telford college we got payed on a Friday so at lunch we would always fire up to the Telford Arms , be about 20 of us , then nearing time to go back most would start making there way except the Diehard 4 , I was always one of them hahaha , only got £25 a week ffs hahaha