Time for the SFA to act?

YellowSub

Without wanting to undermine the seriousness of all this I'm afraid the old statement applied to celtic is more than apt.

"Offended by everything ashamed of nothing"

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Mikey1874

• YellowSub

• Calebs Grandad

One fan said.....quote.....

More than a club'

Asked about his reaction to the scandal as a fan of the club, Mr Dornan said: "I would much rather be here having this conversation about any other club in the world than having it about Celtic.

"I grew up to believe that Celtic was more than a football club, and I like to believe it still is, but this and the way the board have handled this.

"In one way, I'm glad that my dad is not here to see that Celtic are behaving in this way on what is probably the most important issue that club has ever faced."

I cant be bothered following all this including reading the link, but if Celtic have deliberately covered up revolting crimes, that is disgraceful.

If they are guilty, perhaps they will seek to atone by donating £5m to Save the Childfen.

Fat chance.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

I cant be bothered following all this including reading the link, but if Celtic have deliberately covered up revolting crimes, that is disgraceful.

If they are guilty, perhaps they will seek to atone by donating £5m to Save the Childfen.

Fat chance.

They wish!

John Findlay

Forget for a moment that this is Celtic FC. 

This is about the disgusting behaviour of trusted adults physically and sexually abusing children. Four adults have been tried, convicted and sentenced accordingly in a court of law.

Any right minding person would agree that their actions were dispicable. 

The fact that three well established institutions(for want of a better word) want to sweep this under the carpet. Those being the Catholic church(I was baptised Catholic myself), Celtic FC and the SFA is an utter disgrace. 

Until recently the Scottish media spoken and written wanted to bury it too but, finally a few brave souls have broken ranks and these people are being vilified because they dare correctly to bring Celtic to task.

If we as a society are to protect our children as we should then we have to bring all these wrong dooers to task, regardless of where they are. 

It's a heinous despicable crime and SHOULD NEVER EVER BE SWEPT UNDER THE CARPET.

Interesting reading some of the comments on the Scotsman article for the same story. Celtic fans complaining at the coverage including asking why the Scotsman isn't running an article on Rangers cheating their way to titles. It's getting to them which is good. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/criticism-of-celtic-over-historic-child-sex-abuse-unfair-and-misguided-says-peter-lawwell-1-4939354

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting reading some of the comments on the Scotsman article for the same story. Celtic fans complaining at the coverage including asking why the Scotsman isn't running an article on Rangers cheating their way to titles. It's getting to them which is good. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/criticism-of-celtic-over-historic-child-sex-abuse-unfair-and-misguided-says-peter-lawwell-1-4939354

Nowhere near as unfair as abusing children. Celtic supporters moaning about Old Rangers unfairly winning titles. Suggest they complain to their own board seeing as they abstained on any important votes regarding old Rangers. Both clubs as thick as thieves.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Nowhere near as unfair as abusing children. Celtic supporters moaning about Old Rangers unfairly winning titles. Suggest they complain to their own board seeing as they abstained on any important votes regarding old Rangers. Both clubs as thick as thieves.

This isn't about Rangers v Celtic! They (the media/Celtic) would love folk to fall into the trap of thinking "It's the bitter bluenoses stirring it".

It's about a Paedophile ring being allowed to operate, unhindered, at a high level Scottish football club. These vile creatures should be put under the spotlight of the worlds media and justice systems, as I believe this could stretch back to their trip to the US too. Shutting this cesspit down wouldn't be going to far

Edited by YellowSub

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, YellowSub said:

This isn't about Rangers v Celtic! They (the media/Celtic) would love folk to fall into the trap of thinking "It's the bitter bluenoses stirring it".

It's about a Paedophile ring being allowed to operate, unhindered, at a high level Scottish football club. These vile creatures should be put under the spotlight of the worlds media and justice systems, as I believe this could stretch back to their trip to the US too. Shutting this cesspit down wouldn't be going to far

I know it using but both sets of supporters turn it into an us against them. That suits both boardrooms to a T. Sadly.

Spellczech

Celtic are in a tricky situation. Their preferred strategy appears to be to follow the lead of the Catholic church with regards to abuse of children by employees. From a business perspective this makes sense - pay a bit of lip-service as PR but deny direct responsibility as this can lead to unlimited financial cost and damage to the brand. Whilst this approach can result in criticism from those outside looking on, the ones who are customers, fans, members actually quite like the "head in the sand" response as it the one they are trained to practice themselves: Victims should keep quiet whilst sinners can confess and only be punished with a few Hail Mary's. What price a clear conscience...?

Celtic's problem is that there may well be evidence of knowledge of abuse by the club at the time and it's also clear the 'Celtic Boys Club was separate organisation' isn't credible. 

There is more to come on this. 

Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland); 11/7/1998; McILWRAITH, GORDON
JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett,

Mr Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting in his car.
He said: "Although there were people who spoke to me I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times." 

Billy McNeil said, on oath in a court of law, "It was an open secret at Parkhead"

A victim of Celtic Boys’ Club predator Jim McCafferty who was set for a top career in football is planning to sue Celtic FC for hundreds of thousands of pounds over lost earnings.
A legal source close to the scandal said that strong evidence could be presented to claw back compensation – not just for the emotional impact of the abuse but the financial loss suffered in missing out on contracts.
It’s understood lawyers are planning to pursue Celtic chiefs for years of potential wages at professional level if they can convince the courts the player was a star in the making until they were preyed on by the now 73-year-old.
READ MORE
  McCafferty, who was a coach and kitman for the club’s youth team and also worked for the Boys’ Club was jailed for six years and nine months last month for abusing 10 teenage boys over more than two decades.
A source said evidence from former coaches, psychologists and accountants could be used to claim for “special damages” in addition to “general damages” in the case of at least one victim. 
They said: “The case can be made for this client that, had this not happened, he would have had a very stable and solid career in professional football.”
READ MORE

Mr Elwood P
On 02/06/2019 at 19:03, Mikey1874 said:

Celtic's problem is that there may well be evidence of knowledge of abuse by the club at the time and it's also clear the 'Celtic Boys Club was separate organisation' isn't credible. 

There is more to come on this. 

Isn’t credible in a moral sense or legal sense or from your own perspective? 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

• 2 weeks later...

It continues. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-scout-claim-coach-accused-16520378

Celtic scout' claim coach accused of child sex attacks hunted by police

The suspect told kids in the 1970s he was a scout for Celtic and it's alleged he was friendly with Celtic Boys Club beasts Jim Torbett, 71, and Frank Cairney, 84, who are both now in jail.
ByKeith McLeod
04:30, 15 JUN 2019

One alleged victim, pictured centre, says he was abused by the coach in the early 1970s (Image: UGC/Daily Record)
Get the biggest Celtic stories by email
Subscribe
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
A former football coach who claimed to be a scout for Celtic is wanted by police over claims he carried out a string of child sex attacks.

The ‘scout’, now 75, was the subject of a complaint to police in 2015 from a man now in his 60s. Another man later came forward with more claims of abuse.

The coach is alleged to have preyed on children in the 60s and 70s.

It is alleged by his accusers that the scout – who was involved in schools and youth football in Renfrewshire – abused boys repeatedly at a house in Paisley and at a property in Argyll and Bute.

One alleged victim has told the Record that his alleged abuser was friendly with Celtic Boys Club beasts Jim Torbett, 71, and Frank Cairney, 84, who are both now in jail.

Jim Torbett was sentenced to six years in prison for child sex abuse (Image: Daily Record)
READ MORE
Former Celtic chairman claims 'no knowledge' of his business links to Boys' Club sex beast Jim Torbett

He claims the coach tried to impress youngsters with a Celtic ID card signed by a senior figure at the club and describing him as an official scout.

The scout can’t be named for legal reasons but Police Scotland have confirmed there is a warrant for his arrest. Speaking exclusively to the Record, an alleged victim of the scout said: “I was abused by this man over years, repeatedly.

“His power over boys stemmed from the fact that he carried a card saying he was a scout with Celtic FC. He would show it all the time because it gave him status.”

He added: “The abuse happened at a house in Argyll and at my own house in Paisley between 1968 and the early 70s.

“I took this to the police in 2015. They were brilliant in the way they dealt with me but nothing seems to have happened since. I want justice.

“He was a young teacher. All the guys liked him and thought he was a good guy.

“He ran the football team in second year at school and would take boys to Celtic games, in the European Cup.

“At weekends, he would take boys to Argyll. That’s where I was first abused. I remember trying to get to sleep that night wondering what had happened. I was so naive.

READ MORE
Celtic's secret two-year probe into boy's club sex abuse scandal confirmed by Peter Lawwell

“Other boys were there. I believe they were being abused as well. He would take three boys to Argyll at a time.

“A friend of mine, who is sadly deceased now, was also abused. I know of another victim who has spoken to police.”

It is claimed the abuser was so convincing he was able to befriend an alleged victim’s parents to the point where he would stay at their house.

The victim said he tried to commit suicide when he was still being abused as a child. The abuse stopped when he was 14 and he went on to play for the scout’s teams as a young adult.

He says that he and another alleged victim, who is now dead, were contacted by police in the mid-90s. They were asked whether they were abused by the scout.

He said: “I told the police nothing. I then spoke to my friend and asked if he’d been contacted. He said he had but had also said nothing.

“It was the first time we’d talked about the abuse between ourselves. When we were young, it was never talked about. Later I think we tried to remove it from our minds.

“I regret not telling the police in the 90s. Another victim must have contacted them and our testimonies would have helped.

READ MORE
Sex abuse victim to sue Celtic for hundreds of thousands of pounds over lost earnings
“I regret not speaking out then but I had young children and I wanted to forget the whole thing.

“But in later life, I’ve become more and more affected by what went on when I was young. I feel I was robbed of my childhood. Now, I feel robbed of something as simple as justice.”

The witness the scout’s teams would regularly play Torbett’s Celtic BC teams.

He said: “There were boys in our youth teams that went on to play for Torbett or Cairney at Celtic Boys’ Club.

“They had strong links and the scout was clearly friends with both Torbett and Cairney.”

It is feared the perpetrator of the abuse may now be living abroad.

Police Scotland confirmed that a warrant has been issued for the alleged abuser. The Crown Office confirmed that the case is “live”. Celtic FC made no comment.

In May, the Record revealed that Celtic FC investigated and cleared boys’ club leaders in 1986, describing claims against them as “scurrilous”.

Some of Torbett’s abuse of boys happened after that investigation.

Celtic revealed last month that they have been carrying out a new two-year investigation into the abuse claims at Celtic BC.

Vile and shameless organisation!
Edited by YellowSub

grumpyespana

The thing is they will be mixing with other pedos while in jail and comparing stories sad really that they will not be mixing with the mainstream prisoners that's a pity.

• 3 weeks later...
John Findlay
2 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48879452

Is the net closing on the great unwashed?

Sadly no. Not as long as Lawell and Petrie stalk the corridors of Hampden.

Now is the time for Maxwell to stand up and be counted but, alas he hasn't got it in him.

The mound under the carpet at Hampden is only going to get higher as with the one in the boardroom of Celtic Park. This will truly be Scottish football's shame.

• 1 month later...