Time for the SFA to act?

YellowSub

davemclaren
33 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Who paid the Celtic Boys Club coaches wages? 

They were employed directly by Celtic?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Mikey1874

• YellowSub

• Calebs Grandad

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

They were employed directly by Celtic?

Were they? I was asking a genuine question, Dave. Who paid the coaches wages?

36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Except it isn’t really true. 

I've understood that to mean the boys club is pretty much an arm of the club. Anyway, its my understanding that Celtic are trying to make a distinct point between themselves as a club with their own youth development & the boys club as a separate entity. 

However, If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its usually a duck. My original point was that the boys club is clearly branded Celtic. In name, colours etc. - they even used club facilities! Its pretty obvious from the stories about Stein and the subsequent cover up that Celtic then fought to protect their brand. I mean, you don't hear Celtic boys club and think 'I wonder if rangers use them for youth development too'. Celtic would have been quite within their rights to have asked the boys club to use separate branding (which incidentally they are now doing as of 2018), they didn't, so in effect they condoned the use of their brand. 

I don't see how Celtic can have it both ways, they've allowed what is essentially a paedophile ring to use their name and reputation to lure in children and then tried to cover it up after finding out what could be described conservatively as 'alarming information'. I think Celtic are absolutely liable for compensation in this instance. But for their involvement in adding legitimacy to this boys club they wouldn't have had the same attraction as if they were a bog standard club and much less the protection (meaning they may well have been outed sooner putting their child abuse to a stop far earlier). 

The whole thing absolutely stinks and is in urgent need of an independent review. 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Were they? I was asking a genuine question, Dave. Who paid the coaches wages?

I have no idea if and how they were remunerated but I doubt they were Celtic employees or that would be critical in determining corporate responsibility imo. 

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, OTT said:

I've understood that to mean the boys club is pretty much an arm of the club. Anyway, its my understanding that Celtic are trying to make a distinct point between themselves as a club with their own youth development & the boys club as a separate entity. 

However, If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its usually a duck. My original point was that the boys club is clearly branded Celtic. In name, colours etc. - they even used club facilities! Its pretty obvious from the stories about Stein and the subsequent cover up that Celtic then fought to protect their brand. I mean, you don't hear Celtic boys club and think 'I wonder if rangers use them for youth development too'. Celtic would have been quite within their rights to have asked the boys club to use separate branding (which incidentally they are now doing as of 2018), they didn't, so in effect they condoned the use of their brand. 

I don't see how Celtic can have it both ways, they've allowed what is essentially a paedophile ring to use their name and reputation to lure in children and then tried to cover it up after finding out what could be described conservatively as 'alarming information'. I think Celtic are absolutely liable for compensation in this instance. But for their involvement in adding legitimacy to this boys club they wouldn't have had the same attraction as if they were a bog standard club and much less the protection (meaning they may well have been outed sooner putting their child abuse to a stop far earlier). 

The whole thing absolutely stinks and is in urgent need of an independent review. 

I don’t know rhe exact relationship but I’m led to believe they were separate entities. Lots of clubs were branded Hibs/Hearts/Tynecastle but it was a pretty loose connection in those days compared to now. Lots of players moved from ‘branded’ youth clubs to other clubs. 

Academies are clearly managed and financed directly by the club. 

What happened was utterly horrific but the liability of Celtic will only be determined in a court if Law and their Lawyers/Insurers will be carefully schooling them on what to say. 

Forever Hearts
53 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I don’t know rhe exact relationship but I’m led to believe they were separate entities. Lots of clubs were branded Hibs/Hearts/Tynecastle but it was a pretty loose connection in those days compared to now. Lots of players moved from ‘branded’ youth clubs to other clubs. 

Academies are clearly managed and financed directly by the club. 

What happened was utterly horrific but the liability of Celtic will only be determined in a court if Law and their Lawyers/Insurers will be carefully schooling them on what to say. 

Why did Stein kick Torbett out (only for him to be brought back) if they were separate entities? 

17 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

suggest you read the full thread especially on this page (2)

I’ve read the full thread and am none the wiser why you brought the McCanns into it. Completely off-topic, in my opinion.

davemclaren
13 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Why did Stein kick Torbett out (only for him to be brought back) if they were separate entities? 

No idea if he did or didn’t, or if he did why.  There’s no evidence to suggest they were anything but separate legal entities albeit closely related in terms of supply/demand. 

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No idea if he did or didn’t, or if he did why.  There’s no evidence to suggest they were anything but separate legal entities albeit closely related in terms of supply/demand. 

It's common knowledge that he did and it is a fact that he was brought back and Celtic started doing business with his company. 

BangkokHearts
On 17/05/2019 at 16:50, Julie1957 said:

Often wonder if protecting the Catholic Church was number one on the list.

Correct.

Thought controls at least 30% of the World's population and Scotland is a swing vote. Ultimately that's what it's all about.

Becoming more horrendous by the day!!

A “paedophile ring” involving the most notorious abuser in British sporting history and a Celtic Boys Club coach is being investigated on both sides of the border.

The English and Scottish Football Associations are examining a “partnership” between Barry Bennell, who worked with young players at Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra, and Jim McCafferty, a former Celtic kitman and boys coach.

Last week McCafferty, 73, was jailed for abusing boys over a 24-year period, Bennell, 65, is serving a 30-year sentence for molesting youngsters on an “industrial scale”.

A source close to the Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football said: “The partnership between McCafferty and Bennell is included in the investigation. There will be full disclosure.”

The final report from the review was delayed last year to avoid prejudicing criminal proceedings.

However, The Times understands that it will contain evidence that McCafferty took youngsters from Glasgow to tournaments in the northwest of England where they were introduced to Bennell. The information has been shared with the English FA.

Manchester City, which is carrying out an abuse investigation of its own, has established that Bennell took youngsters to tournaments in Ayrshire.

Thompsons Solicitors is convinced that McCafferty was part of an abuse network which involved Bennell and Jim Torbett, 71, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, who was jailed last November for abusing boys.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “There is clear evidence of trips being organised in both directions; Bennell bringing boys up to Scotland and McCafferty taking boys clubs on trips to the Greater Manchester area.

“I’m glad the SFA have finally taken account of the evidence that we have been putting forward.”
Mr McGuire added: “McCafferty and Bennell were the two most prolific and horrific paedophiles that we know of in football circles. Undoubtedly they were working together . . . it makes you shudder.”

Celtic FC and Crewe Alexandra did not respond to a request for comment.

The Glasgow club has expressed sympathy for the victims but has insisted that the boys club is a separate organisation and not its responsibility
Edited by YellowSub

John Findlay

Right minded people know the right thing to do. There appears to be a complete lack of right minded people in the boardroom of Celtic Park at present.

Seems the media is being forced to address these stories now with SNP and Tory MPs now calling for action.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-48463869

Two MSPs have criticised Celtic over its response to the sex abuse scandal involving former boys club coaches.

James Dornan shared a letter on Twitter that he sent to the club after ex-youth coach Jim McCafferty was jailed.

And Prof Adam Tomkins confirmed he is seeking "urgent meetings" with the club and the Scottish Football Association to discuss a series of trials.

Last week Celtic issued a statement which expressed "regret and sorrow" to those affected by the McCafferty case.

He is the fourth man connected to either Celtic or Celtic Boys Club to be found guilty of historical child sex abuse in the past year.

Mr Dornan, MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, has now revealed he sent a letter to the club's chief executive Peter Lawwell on 16 May.

The Celtic supporter said it was "with great sadness" he felt "compelled" to write the letter.

Mr Dornan said his son played for both Celtic Boys Club and Celtic Football Club and said it was "in no way accurate" to describe them as separate entities.

The SNP politician wrote: "Boys were sold the idea of playing for the Boys Club as having a foot into Celtic FC, this from Celtic scouts.

"The relationship between the coaches, including Messrs (Jim) Torbett and (Frank) Cairney and high-ranking Celtic officials, was clear for all to see.

"Every Celtic Boys Club annual event was full of Celtic players and officials, generally giving out the prizes to the lucky young players who saw themselves as close to signing or had already signed for the club."

The MSP urged the club, which was this week named one of the most valuable in Europe, to compensate the victims.

He added: "I accept that there may be some legal distance between the two but given what I and many others have seen Celtic have without doubt a moral responsibility to compensate for what happened under their watching eye.

"I urge you to take on this responsibility, not blame, apologise for what happened to these deeply damaged young men, accept you can't undo what has been done and offer compensation for those who were treated in such a terrible way by people using, and abusing, the proud name of Celtic FC.

"After seeing the latest in a far too long line of Celtic Boys Club coaches being found guilty of the foulest abuses you continue to abrogate your responsibilities as you have to date on this issue then, in my view, you bring nothing but shame to the reputation of Celtic and the wider Celtic family."

Mr Tomkins also called for a compensation package to be set up, citing Manchester City as an example.

In a statement posted on Twitter, the Scottish Conservative Glasgow MSP said: "Through a series of criminal trials we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys' club.

"These are no longer allegations - in the cases in question they have been proved in a court of law.

"What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it.

"These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

"Several constituents have contacted me in recent weeks about these matters, and their concerns must be addressed."

The MSP confirmed he is writing to Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell and SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell to seek "urgent meetings to take these matters forward".

Celtic have been contacted for comment.

The statement issued by the club last week said: "James McCafferty has pled guilty to offences he committed against young people between 1972 and 1996.

"Celtic Football Club wishes to express its regret and sorrow to those young people.

"McCafferty, who was employed by Celtic Football Club in the mid 1990s, committed these acts many years ago across a number of organisations, and all those who have come forward to report abuse and to give evidence deserve enormous praise for the courage they have shown.

"We offer our sincere sympathy to those young people, their families and all those involved."

The Celtic statement acknowledged the crimes were "very sensitive issues, particularly for those who suffered abuse."

But solicitor Patrick McGuire, who represents several abuse survivors, criticised the club.

He said: "It would be charitable to Celtic to describe this as too little, too late.

"There is no apology. There is no acknowledgement of Celtic's failures.

"There is no willingness to pay compensation and to follow the lead of Manchester City, particularly as we know some of the abuse took place when McCafferty was employed by Celtic and was in a position of considerable influence and power within the Celtic football club youth set-up."

John Findlay

Front page of the Times Scotland edition yesterday, would have made for uncomfortable reading in the boardroom of Celtic Park. Celtic going to be doing alot of firefighting and damage control over the next couple of weeks. This one isint going away.

Edited by John Findlay

jack D and coke
On 18/05/2019 at 11:03, Calebs Grandad said:

It seems certain people within that club just didn’t see what these men had done as being wrong. 

I think some really devout Catholics just don’t. I hope I don’t offend anyone it’s not my intention here but my niece is catholic and her grandparents are very devout. Absolutely brilliant people btw but they defended Cardinal Keith O’Brien saying he was a very nice man. I didn’t say anything but that stuff leaves me utterly gobsmacked. My ex girlfriend mum was similar wouldn’t say a bad word about any of them. 

I think some of them are so under the thumb of the church they’re almost numbed to it and just try pretend it doesn’t matter as long as they’re god fearing. 

Calebs Grandad
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I think some really devout Catholics just don’t. I hope I don’t offend anyone it’s not my intention here but my niece is catholic and her grandparents are very devout. Absolutely brilliant people btw but they defended Cardinal Keith O’Brien saying he was a very nice man. I didn’t say anything but that stuff leaves me utterly gobsmacked. My ex girlfriend mum was similar wouldn’t say a bad word about any of them. 

I think some of them are so under the thumb of the church they’re almost numbed to it and just try pretend it doesn’t matter as long as they’re god fearing. 

My mum is from Eire, born and raised in Galway, and her family of 7 daughters and 2 sons were all brought up as devout Catholics. My grandfather was a member of the IRA for a long time through his youth onwards but as he’d grown older he no longer identified with what they had become and wanted nothing to do with them. I would spend each school  summer holidays  in Salthill in Galway with my aunties, uncles and cousins and became aware of just how strong this religion was to the people, every evening at 6 the country came to a standstill for the Angelus, a prayer everyone said irrespective of where they were at the time. On one occasion one of my aunties found a purse in a phone box in Eyre Square in Galway and rather than hand it into the Gardai she took it into the nearest church. The police weren’t trusted but the church were. The point of this post is that in the last 20+ years every surviving member of my mums family including my cousins have lost their faith and turned away from their religion as it brought more and more shame on itself.  Glasgow Celtic have identified themselves as a catholic based club in the same way Glasgow Rangers identify as Protestant and are now beginning to suffer the repercussions of what has gone on and been kept hidden within their ranks over the last few decades. If they had been a hockey or cricket team for example we would rarely if ever mention all this but as the club that has virtually dominated Scottish football for 25-30 out of last 40 odd years then they are going to see a lot more negativity for a long time to come. 

Brave Hearts
49 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Front page of the Times Scotland edition yesterday, would have made for uncomfortable reading in the boardroom of Celtic Park. Celtic going to be doing alot of firefighting and damage control over the next couple of weeks. This one isint going away.

1967CF72-A7A6-4F48-B733-2D0FA6D234DF.jpeg

Absolute Scenes

There's a few theories kicking about (apologies if posted already) that the reason Lennon's been given the job is because its a cheap option as Celtic may well have to pay a LOT of compensation (millions) because of this. Could be a quiet transfer summer for them

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, Brave Hearts said:

Interesting the photo next to the main headline. I think the editor was up to a little mischief.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Interesting the photo next to the main headline. I think the editor was up to a little mischief.

I read it as “Tims and lefties are bad, but look at our resplendent Monarch”

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Hard to argue with that. ?

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Amazing eh :lol: 

jack D and coke
24 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

My mum is from Eire, born and raised in Galway, and her family of 7 daughters and 2 sons were all brought up as devout Catholics. My grandfather was a member of the IRA for a long time through his youth onwards but as he’d grown older he no longer identified with what they had become and wanted nothing to do with them. I would spend each school  summer holidays  in Salthill in Galway with my aunties, uncles and cousins and became aware of just how strong this religion was to the people, every evening at 6 the country came to a standstill for the Angelus, a prayer everyone said irrespective of where they were at the time. On one occasion one of my aunties found a purse in a phone box in Eyre Square in Galway and rather than hand it into the Gardai she took it into the nearest church. The police weren’t trusted but the church were. The point of this post is that in the last 20+ years every surviving member of my mums family including my cousins have lost their faith and turned away from their religion as it brought more and more shame on itself.  Glasgow Celtic have identified themselves as a catholic based club in the same way Glasgow Rangers identify as Protestant and are now beginning to suffer the repercussions of what has gone on and been kept hidden within their ranks over the last few decades. If they had been a hockey or cricket team for example we would rarely if ever mention all this but as the club that has virtually dominated Scottish football for 25-30 out of last 40 odd years then they are going to see a lot more negativity for a long time to come. 

Think that’s pretty spot on bud. 

26 minutes ago, Brave Hearts said:

Celtic FC’s refusal to accept blame for systematic child abuse at its feeder club has been undermined by its own archives which reveal “official” links between the two organisations.

Four men who held senior positions at Celtic Boys Club have been convicted in recent months of molesting dozens of children over three decades.

While expressing “regret and sorrow” for the victims, Celtic FC bosses insist they are not legally culpable for the widespread abuse, describing the boys club as an “entirely separate organisation” with which they had “historic contacts”.

Their position is contradicted by a number of articles in the Celtic View, the club’s official magazine, however, which talk of the boys club being “brought into the Celtic family”.

An archived page from the Celtic Boys Club website says that a “semi- formal arrangement” was put in place by the late chief scout John Higgins so it could be a “nursery for young players Celtic had identified as having potential”.

A lawyer representing the abuse victims said that they provided “compelling and unanswerable” proof that Celtic FC bears responsibility for the actions of the four convicted paedophiles. Celtic View articles seen by The Times reveal that:

● David Hay, the Celtic manager at the time, described the boys’ club as “very much a part of Celtic FC”, while a columnist spoke of an “official connection”.

● Celtic’s board of directors stated they were totally committed to the boys’ club and offered “investment and support”.

● Jimmy Savile was a guest of Celtic in 1987 and was hailed as a “staunch supporter”, only months after the club dismissed allegations of widespread abuse as “scurrilous”.

● Celtic’s own official history book says that the purpose of the boys’ club was to “bring talented youngsters under the Celtic wing”.

The revelations put further pressure on Celtic to follow the lead set by Manchester City and issue an apology and compensate those who were abused.

In 1987 Frank Cairney, a coach at Celtic Boys who was convicted of child sexual abuse in December, boasted about how the club had been founded by his friend Jim Torbett, a fellow paedophile who was convicted last November and is in jail.

Jim Torbett was praised by Celtic for his work with the boys’ club

Jim Torbett was praised by Celtic for his work with the boys’ clubSTV

Cairney, in his column for Celtic View, wrote: “It was some 20 short years back that [Celtic manager] Jock Stein and [Celtic chairman] Sir Robert Kelly brought the CBC into the Celtic family.

“It is now 18 years since Jock and [the Celtic scout] John Higgins made the connection official.”

Celtic View report from a boys club social held in March 1986, which was attended by the players Tommy Burns and Paul McStay, said: “David Hay [the manager] complimented CBC and once again confirmed that they are very much a part of Celtic FC.” Two years earlier it had published an article which said: “The CBC organisation and its close attachment and association with Celtic FC and the service it has given to the name of Celtic has been admired and envied by many of the top clubs in Britain.”

Patrick McGuire, a partner at Thompsons Solicitors, said: “[This new evidence] reduces to ridicule any suggestion that Celtic FC and CBC were in any way, shape or form separate organisations. Every boy who went through the CBC knew it was part of the Celtic family and now we have absolutely compelling evidence that shows this.

“Court proceedings will be served on Celtic unless they do the right thing and face up to their responsibilities.”

Celtic FC did not comment.

Linked spelt out on website
Official connections between Celtic FC and its feeder team are spelt out on the Celtic Boys Club (CBC) website. It was taken down after the club was renamed St Patrick’s Sports Academy last year.

The Times has accessed an archived version of the site that states: “Initially the club was run totally independently from Celtic FC by a group of volunteers. Celtic FC scout John Higgins recognised the potential benefits of CBC to the professional club and subsequently a semi-formal arrangement was made where the boys’ club would act as a nursery for young players Celtic scouts had identified as having potential. It was an arrangement which would see the CBC produce an impressive list of talented players who would go on to make their names with the Hoops.” It confirms that the boys club trophy presentations took place at Celtic Park.

Quotes that undermine the official story
“It was 20 short years back that Jock Stein and Sir Robert Kelly brought the Celtic Boys Club into the Celtic family. It is now 18 years since Jock and John Higgins made the connection official.
Celtic View, November 18, 1987

“David Hay in his remarks welcomed the ex-Celtic Boys Club players now playing with professional clubs. He said it brought great credit to the family name of Celtic that they should maintain the association with the boys club. He complimented Celtic Boys Club and once again confirmed that they are very much a part of Celtic FC.
Celtic View, March 12, 1986

“Youngsters like Roy Aitken and Tommy Burns were coming through from Celtic Boys Club, which had been founded to bring talented youngsters under the Celtic wing.
Celtic: The Official History by Brian Wilson

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

There's a few theories kicking about (apologies if posted already) that the reason Lennon's been given the job is because its a cheap option as Celtic may well have to pay a LOT of compensation (millions) because of this. Could be a quiet transfer summer for them

Think that's an aspect of it, but I'd also imagine no sane person would want to become their manager right now and become such a high profile figure at the club when the shit hits the fan. Not a nice thing to be associated with!

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

So did Sir Tom Farmer! He found him to be "most likeable". FFS! 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/tom-farmer-i-found-cardinal-o-brien-to-be-most-likeable-1-4708701

1 hour ago, Calebs Grandad said:

I was on holiday driving around Ireland recently. My wife was channel hopping on the radio & came across some kind of "Christian Broadcasting" Station. The topic was why church attendance (in the ROI) had fallen significantly over the years. The female host of the programme had the answer. 

"Quite simply, the Catholic Church has now lost control of the people". 

When she was pushed on the reason for that, she referred to "a number of unfortunate incidents that have not sat well with people". 

She was talking about child abuse. 

doctor jambo

Had it been a normal "company"- say the BBC, or the NHS/ care home or whatever- there would be an independent inquiry established.

I have no doubt- a Saville job run by the judiciary.

1- Who DID know ?

2- When did they know?

3- What did they do?

4- What safeguarding procedures were in place?

5- What failures were there?

6- When they found out who did they tell?

Is anyone associated with this scandal still working in the club/ SFA etc?

All documentation/letters/phone records should be pulled and examined.

Until this is done then it cannot rest.

Childrens care home workers are arrested many decades down the line.

There is no time bar.

This boil needs lanced, and Celtic need to cooperate fully and not go into full on Church cover up mode.

This is a justice issue, regarding multiple child rapes.

Not a football issue or bigotry issue.

doctor jambo

I would add that any Celtic employees from around then should be interviewed under caution.

I have been part of a number of SAER - and they are very unpleasant (Significant Adverse Event Review). BUT there is something about being interviewed by CID that loosens tongues, unless you are used to that kind of thing

Calebs Grandad

For me the bottom line is that this particular church is riddled with this cancer. The leaders of the church in the Vatican one after another kept a lid on this and were helped massively by the fact that their followers around the world simply didn’t believe or didn’t want to believe this was happening. Over the last couple of decades technology and the likes of social media have made it possible for news and information to be made readily available anywhere within seconds and this has contributed to more and more disclosures.  There are no answers or solutions to what has gone on unfortunately as the Catholic Church operates under huge secrecy and we will never know the full extent of this but Celtic could take a massive step forward and come clean about what has gone on within their ranks. Financially it could hurt them but I’m certain they’d survive but given how deep it looks to have run within the club they may just continue to bury their heads in the sand. 

Forever Hearts
8 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

For me the bottom line is that this particular church is riddled with this cancer. The leaders of the church in the Vatican one after another kept a lid on this and were helped massively by the fact that their followers around the world simply didn’t believe or didn’t want to believe this was happening. Over the last couple of decades technology and the likes of social media have made it possible for news and information to be made readily available anywhere within seconds and this has contributed to more and more disclosures.  There are no answers or solutions to what has gone on unfortunately as the Catholic Church operates under huge secrecy and we will never know the full extent of this but Celtic could take a massive step forward and come clean about what has gone on within their ranks. Financially it could hurt them but I’m certain they’d survive but given how deep it looks to have run within the club they may just continue to bury their heads in the sand. 

It's more of a cult than a religion. 

This will be interesting. A two year investigation that no-one knew about, including families of the victims. Seems legit.

Forever Hearts

This needs investigating. 

Interview

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

McCafferty on former footballer and coach John ‘Yogi’ Hughes:

“I was helping out at Hibs at the time and Big Yogi, John Hughes, who was the manager and Yogi was a bugger for, you know he was into this devilment, sort of a laugh and a joke.

“He would say to me: ‘Right come on Jim, let’s get the *******s.’ And the point is he would go in and turn the lights out and start you know, the shenanigans, you know, a bit of kidology with them sort of thing, horseplay.

“It went too far. It didn’t involve myself because he was my pal big Yogi. It happened. He got carried away with himself one day and one of the younger boys - about 21, 22 at the particular time, Yogi had given him a right ripping and he came to me.

“He said, ‘Jim, I think I’ve made a blunder.’ I said, ‘Right, what’s up?’

“He said ‘I can’t remember the boy’s name now. I just had a right go at him and I’ve maybe gone a wee bit too far.’ He was concerned about how the parents and supporters would have thought about that.”

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Interview

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

“I was helping out at Hibs at the time and Big Yogi, John Hughes, who was the manager and Yogi was a bugger for, you know he was into this devilment, sort of a laugh and a joke.

“He would say to me: ‘Right come on Jim, let’s get the *******s.’ And the point is he would go in and turn the lights out and start you know, the shenanigans, you know, a bit of kidology with them sort of thing, horseplay.

“It went too far. It didn’t involve myself because he was my pal big Yogi. It happened. He got carried away with himself one day and one of the younger boys - about 21, 22 at the particular time, Yogi had given him a right ripping and he came to me.

“He said ‘I can’t remember the boy’s name now. I just had a right go at him and I’ve maybe gone a wee bit too far.’ He was concerned about how the parents and supporters would have thought about that.”

What. The. ****.

jack D and coke
54 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

It’s difficult to disagree. Personally I think the Catholic Church should’ve had their “doors kicked in” if you’ll pardon the pun and priests and pope’s jailed. 

Successive Pope’s have sent memos to all chapels churches saying if abuse was discovered the priest was simply to be moved on. People have been intimidated, threatened and had their lives ruined. 

It’s evil. 

glynnlondon
22 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Aye that'd be about right

glynnlondon
26 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Interview

Imagine that naked and slabbering all over you.

Gives me the fear.

doctor jambo
3 hours ago, Biguche said:

This will be interesting. A two year investigation that no-one knew about, including families of the victims. Seems legit.

Means shredding things and silencing people.

If there was an investigation to be done it must be independent .

You cannot investigate yourself - it’s absurd.

smacks of trying to avoid a proper inquiry

Admitting that Celtic had a very close relationship with Celtic Boys Club such that they acted as their academy would be a start. 

The actual issue of responsibility and what different people knew or covered up is another matter. 

But most importantly acting and showing that care and protection of children is the important thing. Not Celtic's reputation. 

25 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Means shredding things and silencing people.

If there was an investigation to be done it must be independent .

You cannot investigate yourself - it’s absurd.

smacks of trying to avoid a proper inquiry

Absolutely

joondalupjambo

I take it that Celtic's investigation and review by their insurers independently appointed lawyer is all about how much in hard cash they might be liable for?  I doubt it cares a jot about the victims or any moral stance.

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I take it that Celtic's investigation and review by their insurers independently appointed lawyer is all about how much in hard cash they might be liable for?  I doubt it cares a jot about the victims or any moral stance.

To develop their defence to the claims for compensation or other legal action. 

joondalupjambo
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

To develop their defence to the claims for compensation or other legal action. 

Yep all about protecting assets that is for sure.  It will either to save cash payouts from the insurance company, Celtic or both.  My mind is now saying what would have Celtic insured themselves against?  What would it be called?   It looks like they having been preparing for this for two years by the sounds of the statement they have just made?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Jesus. What a staggering admission that is. Lawell in for a lot of heat on this one and rightly so.

as for the SFA doing anything...:rofl: