Time for the SFA to act?

YellowSub

The horror stories emerging from Parkhead send a shiver down my spine. The SFA seem to have nothing to say about these horrendous revelations that are unfolding 

on a daily basis now . One of, if not the biggest, tragedies to hit Scottish society never mind football and the SFA have zero comment to make. It beggars belief!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Mikey1874

• YellowSub

• Calebs Grandad

Need to let Celtic respond first though they haven't shown much interest in taking responsibility. 

But the issue is protection of children. So any concerns at continuing risks need to be addressed. That is the key issue, not Celtic. 

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Need to let Celtic respond first though they haven't shown much interest in taking responsibility. 

But the issue is protection of children. So any concerns at continuing risks need to be addressed. That is the key issue, not Celtic. 

Indeed. And Celtic failed to protect those very children. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

Indeed. And Celtic failed to protect those very children. 

As did Hibs when they allowed a child abuser they sacked to join another club. To protect their reputation. 

Which is clearly what Celtic are worried out. A reputation they could actually enhance by taking full responsibility. 

highlandjambo3

Your correct....

Anyone know if there is much in the weegia rags today about this?  I should think so but would not be surprised if there was nothing mentioned.

Forever Hearts
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Dead link.

Just google it. It's been all over the media. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

Your correct....

Anyone know if there is much in the weegia rags today about this?  I should think so but would not be surprised if there was nothing mentioned.

It was Wednesday's front page story. 

There is a complication though in terms of legal action including compensation. 

Where lawyers will generally advise not to admit anything.

It could be that Celtic are indeed ready to accept responsibility. But not yet. 

3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Your correct....

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It was Wednesday's front page story. 

There is a lot of coverage.

I was told a while back it was going to kick off, basically due to the growing determination of the victims. 

But I am a bit surprised. Celtic no longer untouchable. Because child abuse is now unacceptable and football cases now mainstream following a load of convictions. There is now no doubt about it all.  

Edited by Mikey1874

Geoff the Mince

Allegedly   one of the victims said there were 14 paedos involved with that club . Horrendous if true . One recently convicted was also friends with the paedo in England who recently got convicted.  

Forever Hearts

A full independent inquiry is an absolute must. And as tragic as it is to say it, anybody involved in the inquiry must have no connection to Rangers (even as a supporter) or they'll be accused of point scoring etc etc.  We all know how it works with the Old Firm.

Calebs Grandad

It’s very difficult to actually put into words without being offensive to certain bodies but it appears there was a link between the people committing these offenses at Celtic Boys Club and the main perpetrator at Crewe Alexandra who is now serving 31 years for his offenses. He had 3 previous jail terms for this type of offense and I don’t think there is any doubt whatsoever that a large scale cover up happened. What is known is that Stein had one guy kicked out of Celtic but the cancer ran far deeper than this. There are several indications that a previous Chairman of Celtic who also served in Tony Blairs government was part of the cover up.  It’s a sickening stain on our game and one that will never be fully revealed in my opinion.

Calebs Grandad
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

A full independent inquiry is an absolute must. And as tragic as it is to say it, anybody involved in the inquiry must have no connection to Rangers (even as a supporter) or they'll be accused of point scoring etc etc.  We all know how it works with the Old Firm.

An absolute must but the chance of it happening are unfortunately remote.

3 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

It’s very difficult to actually put into words without being offensive to certain bodies but it appears there was a link between the people committing these offenses at Celtic Boys Club and the main perpetrator at Crewe Alexandra who is now serving 31 years for his offenses. He had 3 previous jail terms for this type of offense and I don’t think there is any doubt whatsoever that a large scale cover up happened. What is known is that Stein had one guy kicked out of Celtic but the cancer ran far deeper than this. There are several indications that a previous Chairman of Celtic who also served in Tony Blairs government was part of the cover up.  It’s a sickening stain on our game and one that will never be fully revealed in my opinion.

It's beyond belief but, he was invited back and his business given a contract with the club. 

Horrendous doesn't even come close to describing it.

Inch Hearts

I don’t feel the club should be done for horrific historic criminal acts by twisted individuals.

Calebs Grandad
4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I don’t feel the club should be done for horrific historic criminal acts by twisted individuals.

Unless the club were aware and failed to act in which case anyone still alive should be prosecuted or at very least shamed. 

The sad fact is that Celtic claim to have investigated it back in 1986 as per the recent publication but they are saying they only found out about it in the 90's.  All seems very suspect to me about the clubs handling of it and that they knew nothing of what was going on at the time. I find that hard to believe given the level of abuse that seems to have taken place at the boys club.

Edited by Bainy

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Unless the club were aware and failed to act in which case anyone still alive should be prosecuted or at very least shamed. 

They were aware alright. They brought Jim Torbett back after kicking him out and even gave his business a contract with the club. 

Inch Hearts
8 minutes ago, Calebs Grandad said:

I believe officials at the club at the time would have been aware and turned a blind eye, they individuals should be prosecuted definitely.  I don’t think it’s fair to target the club in modern day society though. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
15 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I am going to get all pedantic here, but it's because a lot of people get this wrong:  they may be historical criminal acts, but they are not historic.

Inch Hearts
Just now, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I am going to get all pedantic here, but it's because a lot of people get this wrong:  they may be historical criminal acts, but they are not historic.

True I did mean historical and it didn’t sit right playing that but I went with it regardless, apologies. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

True I did mean historical and it didn’t sit right playing that but I went with it regardless, apologies. 

Feel free to use historic after our victory on May 25...?

4 minutes ago, Julie1957 said:

Often wonder if protecting the Catholic Church was number one on the list.

Protecting the Pedophile ring that appears to have been in operation was/is probably number one on their list.

Compare Celtics handling of this to Manchester City who instantly set up a victims fund. City accepted the responsibility and tried to help the poor guys who suffered. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

I agree with this.  If Celtic come straight out and take responsibility, it then becomes a matter of simply how much compensation they require to pay.  What Celtic (and any other organisation in similar circumstances) would want to do is reach an agreement on compensation which may or may not include some admission of responsibility.

It is not certain that the courts would hold Celtic liable for anything, so I would be surprised if they unilaterally accepted responsibility - that just increases the amount of compensation they end up paying.

The protection surrounding these people should also be exposed. If it involves well known faces being revealed then bring it on. 

Inch Hearts
26 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Feel free to use historic after our victory on May 25...?

Most definitely ?

Inch Hearts
14 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Compare Celtics handling of this to Manchester City who instantly set up a victims fund. City accepted the responsibility and tried to help the poor guys who suffered. 

This shouldn’t be used in any way as a point scoring exercise.

We all remember Celtic fans chanting "paedo" when we played them while Rix was our manager. Ironic.....!

22 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Maybe they shouldn't be charged but if they don't want to be associated with the Vatican's many crimes then they shouldn't support the Vatican autocracy.

Aaah sorry, you meant Celtic Boys Club.

4 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Maybe they shouldn't be charged but if they don't want to be associated with the Vatican's many crimes then they shouldn't support the Vatican autocracy.

Aaah sorry, you meant Celtic Boys Club.

Statement from the pope pending.....!

IMG_1159.JPG

38 minutes ago, Jambo66 said:

I agree with this.  If Celtic come straight out and take responsibility, it then becomes a matter of simply how much compensation they require to pay.  What Celtic (and any other organisation in similar circumstances) would want to do is reach an agreement on compensation which may or may not include some admission of responsibility.

It is not certain that the courts would hold Celtic liable for anything, so I would be surprised if they unilaterally accepted responsibility - that just increases the amount of compensation they end up paying.

I doubt that Celtic will ever be legally held to account for this as there wasn't ever a legal link between the Boys Club and the Football Club. The only way I can see it being any other way would be if they were daft enough to discuss the cover up/non-action during a minuted Board Meeting and those minutes miraculously weren't destroyed years ago!

7 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Statement from the pope pending.....!

IMG_1159.JPG

Quite a rare moment for a Pope to showcase human traits!

Lest we forget....

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R24391,_Konkordats

31 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

This shouldn’t be used in any way as a point scoring exercise.

What? It’s not point scoring in any way it’s an example of how a responsible club has behaved under similar circumstances. Highlighting Celtics failure to act appropriately with regards to the victims. If Celtic as a club have nothing to hide they would’ve acted in a similar way. City were unaware of what had gone on, and could easily have claimed no responsibility, they didn’t they stood up and did the right thing.

I don’t really care if Celtic deny knowledge of it, but as the victims were part of their youth set up they should help these guys. It’s the victims that need help that should never come before the reputation of a multi million pound business.

30 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

What? It’s not point scoring in any way it’s an example of how a responsible club has behaved under similar circumstances. Highlighting Celtics failure to act appropriately with regards to the victims. If Celtic as a club have nothing to hide they would’ve acted in a similar way. City were unaware of what had gone on, and could easily have claimed no responsibility, they didn’t they stood up and did the right thing.

I don’t really care if Celtic deny knowledge of it, but as the victims were part of their youth set up they should help these guys. It’s the victims that need help that should never come before the reputation of a multi million pound business.

This...!

Inch Hearts
34 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Whos to say that’s how a normal club act?  It’s the only club who has given compensation to victims.  Yes it goes above and beyond and fair play to Man City, it doesn’t mean every other club should follow suit.  

Sexton Hardcastle

I wonder if there would be any scenario like Penn State in the NCAA got. Banned from playing and forfeited titles. Knowing those in charge of our game I highly doubt it.

Should at least be an inquest.

40 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

I wonder if there would be any scenario like Penn State in the NCAA got. Banned from playing and forfeited titles. Knowing those in charge of our game I highly doubt it.

Should at least be an inquest.

Take the European Cup off them....?....!!

Mr Elwood P
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Aye, the complication is that it was Celtic Boys Club, now St Patrick's Sports Academy, and not Celtic FC. The basic principle of company law is that a company is a juristic person and each company, even if subsidiaries of one another, are insulated from the wrongdoings of the other. Celtic FC don't appear to have any legal liability here. Morality and guilt is a whole other conversation.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

59 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Whos to say that’s how a normal club act?  It’s the only club who has given compensation to victims.  Yes it goes above and beyond and fair play to Man City, it doesn’t mean every other club should follow suit.  

It’s how any decent self respecting institution should act. Doesn’t matter that it was a football club any club or business who’s had a duty of care to minors and failed them should look to compensate those people. It won’t change the abuse and mental torture but if it helps them live out a more comfortable life then it’s the right thing to do.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

It’s how any decent self respecting institution should act. Doesn’t matter that it was a football club any club or business who’s had a duty of care to minors and failed them should look to compensate those people. It won’t change the abuse and mental torture but if it helps them live out a more comfortable life then it’s the right thing to do.

Barry Bennell was employed by Manchester City, Jim Torbett and Jim McCafferty were employed by Celtic Boys Club, not Celtic FC. It's a completely different situation.

32 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Barry Bennell was employed by Manchester City, Jim Torbett and Jim McCafferty were employed by Celtic Boys Club, not Celtic FC. It's a completely different situation.

Pretty sure Jim McCafferty was at one time employed by Glasgow Celtic as a kit man.