New Scotland Boss

Rudy T

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Happy with this, if we are going for a Scottish manager then he is best suited. Apart from Killie he got West Brom to their highest ever Premier league finish. He gets teams punching above their weight and that's what Scotland needs.

Also he has great connections down south which should hopefully allow Scotland to find more players eligible for Scotland who can make a difference.

Pretty much agree with this. I'd have rather gone with a foreigner but if we are going with someone who has worked in the Scottish game then Clarke is a relatively exciting option. Surprised how many are convinced he won't be an Old Firm puppet though. I'll reserve judgement on that until I see evidence that he doesn't pick every two-bit player who plays a couple of games for Rangers or Celtic.

Saint Jambo
3 hours ago, EH11 said:

Weakening Killie is a sad indictment of our mindset.  Imagine a league with a strong Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc to provide a meaningful challenge to the OF.  I want to see strong teams across the league, a decent competitive product and Hearts responding to the challenge by aspiring to be better.  

I'll be delighted if Killie are weakened to be honest. I think the idea that a strong Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Killie, etc. will help us close the gap on Celtic (and to a lesser extent Rangers) is wishful thinking. Celtic have such a gap in resources over us and those other teams that if we are all good and taking points off each other, even if we all take a few extra points off each other, the damage will still be higher to us and Celtic will come out ahead. The only way I can see someone getting close to Celtic is if they open up a gap on the others and are able to consistently beat them. Then build up the confidence to go toe-to-toe with Celtic in games. And then get lucky with injuries and referee decisions. Plus catch Celtic on a poor season. An unlikely scenario (which is the fundamental structural issue of Scottish domestic football) but I still think better odds than if we are on a level with half a dozen teams. If we aren't going to challenge Celtic, frankly I'd like to see Hearts win as many games as possible and finish as high up the league as possible. If that requires Clarke to be poached by the SFA to bring Killie down, then fine by me.

Gorillajam
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

By far the best candidate. Also someone I believe everyone else will get behind. 

Very well organised what Scotland need. Got some cracking players he will get the best out of. 

But above all he is honest 

Delighted to see Clarke get it  - if true. However for me McInnes is the better manager.

5 hours ago, EH11 said:

Weakening Killie is a sad indictment of our mindset.  Imagine a league with a strong Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc to provide a meaningful challenge to the OF.  I want to see strong teams across the league, a decent competitive product and Hearts responding to the challenge by aspiring to be better.  

Absolutely agree. Great post.  A strong Hearts, Aberdeen,  Hibs, Dundee Utd etc would also benefit the national side. The Scotland team has been nothing short of embarrassing for near 30 years. 

JamboGraham
4 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Delighted to see Clarke get it  - if true. However for me McInnes is the better manager.

Interesting that you place McInnes above Clarke. What’s your reasoning for that? I think they are both strong candidates but for me the level of improvement combined with the speed of improvement Clarke has made at Killie would give him a clear edge for me.

3 hours ago, King prawn said:

Killie -  3 games I’ve been to see against them whilst Clarke has been there

Makes sense now ? thank you 

Gorillajam
4 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Interesting that you place McInnes above Clarke. What’s your reasoning for that? I think they are both strong candidates but for me the level of improvement combined with the speed of improvement Clarke has made at Killie would give him a clear edge for me.

Going by resources Aberdeen should be finishing third in the league - they should never have finished above The Rangers (in their first two years in the SPL) yet they did. McInnes has consistently reached cup finals and semi's only to be knocked out by Celtic. He won the league cup with Aberdeen. They've had some decent results in Europe under McInnes. The last few years he's lost a number of players in the summer and yet still went on to rebuild a strong squad and keep that level of consistency. They've had a terrible injury list this season (much like ourselves) and yet reached the league cup final/ Scottish Cup Semi (knocked out by Celtic) and are potentially going to finish third. He's done very well.

Killie have also had a fantastic season under Clarke but they have been terrible in the cups (they lost 5-0 to The Rangers). Clarke has only been at Killie for a year and a half - It would have been interesting to see if he could have maintained their high league placing in future years. It could well be a tad premature to be appointing him the Scotland manager considering he's only been noticed at Killie - a club he's managed for one and half years. I still think he's a great appointment!

9 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

I still think he's a great appointment!

So do I. Better that than a great disappointment!

JamboGraham
20 minutes ago, Gorillajam said:

Going by resources Aberdeen should be finishing third in the league - they should never have finished above The Rangers (in their first two years in the SPL) yet they did. McInnes has consistently reached cup finals and semi's only to be knocked out by Celtic. He won the league cup with Aberdeen. They've had some decent results in Europe under McInnes. The last few years he's lost a number of players in the summer and yet still went on to rebuild a strong squad and keep that level of consistency. They've had a terrible injury list this season (much like ourselves) and yet reached the league cup final/ Scottish Cup Semi (knocked out by Celtic) and are potentially going to finish third. He's done very well.

Killie have also had a fantastic season under Clarke but they have been terrible in the cups (they lost 5-0 to The Rangers). Clarke has only been at Killie for a year and a half - It would have been interesting to see if he could have maintained their high league placing in future years. It could well be a tad premature to be appointing him the Scotland manager considering he's only been noticed at Killie - a club he's managed for one and half years. I still think he's a great appointment!

All very fair points...not much to disagree with there.

Bridge of Djoum
7 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Fits with the "it's Celtics turn" theory

Buggins turn. 

Bridge of Djoum
6 hours ago, EH11 said:

Fantastic post, mate. 

Bridge of Djoum
6 hours ago, King prawn said:

And us .. 1600 miles I travelled this year to watch us lose two games 1-0 at home to them! 

You need to move closer, mate. 

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, King prawn said:

And us .. 1600 miles I travelled this year to watch us lose two games 1-0 at home to them! 

You should have gone to the away game. ::troll::

Would take Clarke or McInnes.  At least it's an appointment based on best for the the job and not just who's out of work.  Whoever gets it has a got a really good crop of players to work with.  Maybe goalie position is open at moment but it should be McLaughlin.  CB you have McKenna, Bates, Souttar.  FB you have Tierney, Robertston.  Midfield Armstrong, Christie, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay,  Attack, Forrest, Fraser.  The big gap is strikers.  

The Treasurer
28 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Would take Clarke or McInnes.  At least it's an appointment based on best for the the job and not just who's out of work.  Whoever gets it has a got a really good crop of players to work with.  Maybe goalie position is open at moment but it should be McLaughlin.  CB you have McKenna, Bates, Souttar.  FB you have Tierney, Robertston.  Midfield Armstrong, Christie, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay,  Attack, Forrest, Fraser.  The big gap is strikers.  

Is it though, or just another "safe" appointment by people who don't have a clue how to run a bath never mind a national football organisation.

Given some of the names that have been linked, Bilic, etc it seems the gFA can't look outside their wee bubble in case they get someone who actually wants to shake things up.

5 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Is it though, or just another "safe" appointment by people who don't have a clue how to run a bath never mind a national football organisation.

Given some of the names that have been linked, Bilic, etc it seems the gFA can't look outside their wee bubble in case they get someone who actually wants to shake things up.

Would be a great appointment imo

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Would be a great appointment imo

Anyone like Bilic who still has the potential of a decent club job can be discounted instantly.

the Scotland job is a joke.

The Old Tolbooth
14 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

What Euro game experience has Clarke had?  I assume some at Chelsea in his capacity as back room boy. International football requires somebody with a good knowledge of football at that level surely?  

Just because he has had some success with Killie why would we think Clarke will have success at International level.  I am in the foreign coach camp and we should have got one from that pool.  Clarke, if true smacks of low cost option yet again.

I'm totally the opposite, I think Clarke is about the only man for the job that would unite the fans again and get everyone back on side (the only Scottish candidate anyway), and as for having little experience in Europe, it didn't do Michael O'Neill any harm with Northern Ireland, he's been a revelation since taking them over. 

14 hours ago, Barack said:

Scot Gemmill, or Derek McInnes were the alternatives.

Hopefully McLeish hasn't handicapped him already in the group,  before he even gets going.

I think by losing in Khazakstan that he's already severely handicapped, especially when you see what Russia done to them at the same venue, I think what the new manager (hopefully Clarke) needs to concentrate on, is using the rest of this qualifying campaign to get the players ready for the Nations League qualifiers and a semi final against (hopefully) Finland, and then a final against either Norway or Serbia (assuming neither qualify out of their groups), I know it's putting all our eggs in one basket, but we're already hamstrung by the McLeish debacle. 

15 hours ago, busby1985 said:

The Scotland jobs like firing your painter and decorator cause every time he paints the damp patch on your kitchen ceiling the damp eventually seeps back through. We don’t need another painter and decorator, we need a builder and a bulldozer to knock the leaky roof down and rebuild it. Clarke will be gone by 2021. 

We need one governing body, 2 leagues and a pyramid system below the 2 leagues for everyone else. Play offs for the top flights and lower tier, bin the top 6. Play each other twice, bin the TV deal and focus on getting punters back through the door and stop worrying about punters sitting on the coach watching. Longer winter break or look at summer football and for god sake stop looking at the richest league in the world and trying to measure ourselves against it. I’d maybe consider a foreigner cap but I do find that a lazy argument. I’d be more interested in looking at club sanctions/fines for failing to field or develop home grown talent. 

Clarke will be filed under Burley and when he goes we will look at Strachan or Walter Smith again, like we always do. 

What a depressing depiction. I think Clarke will do well if he gets the job. Great choice.

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

What a depressing depiction. I think Clarke will do well if he gets the job. Great choice.

I think Clarke is a great coach and think he’s done an amazing job with killie. Scotland are a basket case and so much is wrong with the game that sadly nothing any new manager does will change major flaws we have in our game. 

5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I think Clarke is a great coach and think he’s done an amazing job with killie. Scotland are a basket case and so much is wrong with the game that sadly nothing any new manager does will change major flaws we have in our game. 

Hope you're wrong....!

Big Slim Stylee
18 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

I agree with that. His depth of experience with Chelsea and other posts in England has seen him seriously improve as a manager. Killie benefited big time from that.

Pretty sure it won’t be a long-term gig for him though. He remains ambitious - and by that I mean another shot at managing a meaningful English side.

He's perfect. The Kilmarnock situation isn't so far away from Scotland in terms of quality. I think he would very quickly identify his core squad then work with them to boost them and set out a clear way of playing. 

And attract back the likes of Matt Ritchie and Tom Cairney who for whatever reason chose not to play. 

I just want someone who's desperate for the Scotland job, and not just doing it because there are no better options.

If Clarke is willing to give up a good thing at Killie and other probable job offers for it then that sounds good to me.

1 hour ago, GYL said:

I think Clarke would be a great choice but sadly have a bad feeling its gonna be Gemmell.....

I’m actually wondering if we might go for Gemmell. Young coach who can clearly work with youngsters and would work with a DoF?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I’m actually wondering if we might go for Gemmell. Young coach who can clearly work with youngsters and would work with a DoF?

Translated as:

Cheap, no effort, literally never going to get a better job in his life and guaranteed not to rock the boat.

They’ll try and sell it as Gareth Southgate v2

19 hours ago, Gorillajam said:

It's not just his work at Killie that makes him a good choice.

He has vast experience in England as well both as a manager and as a coach at Chelsea. He only took the Killie job as they are his home town team . I don't believe he intended to be at Killie for long. His relative success at Killie has kick started his career and the Scotland job seems the natural step up for him.

Hope he takes the job.

On 16/05/2019 at 18:01, EH11 said:

This is a superb post.

manaliveits105

Is he banned from the touch line for first two games ?

Now we know why “ time is not right” for Maciness quote from Aberdeen - he didn’t get the job - thankfully