New Scotland Boss

Rudy T

does that mean he will be banned from the dugout for Scotlands first game under him

:look:

3 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Would be delighted, as it would majorly weaken Killie

Not only that but arguably the best appointment in a while. Manager on the up rather than some pal of the blazers earning a pension top up.

Hopefully reinstates a bit of pride 

SpruceBringsteen

Probably the only name mentioned in the entire ****show that wouldn't have made me give up for good, so a long slow clap for the SFA there.

Just now, cocobeab said:

Not only that but arguably the best appointment in a while. Manager on the up rather than some pal of the blazers earning a pension top up.

Hopefully reinstates a bit of pride 

Thats probably the biggest worry...how long before he falls out with them and walks!

Portable Badger

If it materialises then I would be pretty happy with that so long as he's given time by the GFA and fans.  I had expected Petrie to put his backing behind Malky !!!  Hopefully dodged that one !

Edited by Gilbert’s Fridge
Predictive text mistake

Probably would suit him. 

His family are still based on England, so it will allow him to spend more time with them. 

Would be good if it was Clarke, on top of being a first class coach that would probably succeed where others have failed (not an OF sychophant), he's also got Killie punching well above their level. Once he goes I reckon its back to bottom 6 for them. 

Bazzas right boot

Won't matter tbh, the problem is far deeper. 

We need a 5-10 year plan for Scotland, not a replace the manager every two years once we blow out type approach then try again. 

McLeish was a horrendous appointment tho, so I suspect Clarke will improve us. 

On another subject. 

Keep CL for another season 

Clarke to be our next manager in a  year-18 months. 

He's the only manager (in Scotland) that I'd have been happy with if CL did decide to leave in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

We need a 5-10 year plan for Scotland, not a replace the manager every two years once we blow out type approach then try again. 

On another subject. 

He's the only manager (in Scotland) that I'd have been happy with if CL did decide to leave in the summer. 

He won't manage another domestic team in Scotland. To be honest I don't really think he will manage Scotland either, suspect it will be Gemmill that gets the national job (could be way wrong on both counts). 

Weakening Killie is a sad indictment of our mindset.  Imagine a league with a strong Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc to provide a meaningful challenge to the OF.  I want to see strong teams across the league, a decent competitive product and Hearts responding to the challenge by aspiring to be better.  

Great appointment, just what Scotland needs right now. He has Killie ahead of where they should be, hopefully he can do the same with Scotland. Don't need Old Firm players to make that happen either and he knows that.

And just like that, I am looking forward to Scotland games again.

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, EH11 said:

Weakening Killie is a sad indictment of our mindset.  Imagine a league with a strong Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd etc to provide a meaningful challenge to the OF.  I want to see strong teams across the league, a decent competitive product and Hearts responding to the challenge by aspiring to be better.  

Well said. Killie are a well run club anyway, his successor picks up a good well organised team. Better that than relegation fodder

The Scotland jobs like firing your painter and decorator cause every time he paints the damp patch on your kitchen ceiling the damp eventually seeps back through. We don’t need another painter and decorator, we need a builder and a bulldozer to knock the leaky roof down and rebuild it. Clarke will be gone by 2021. 

We need one governing body, 2 leagues and a pyramid system below the 2 leagues for everyone else. Play offs for the top flights and lower tier, bin the top 6. Play each other twice, bin the TV deal and focus on getting punters back through the door and stop worrying about punters sitting on the coach watching. Longer winter break or look at summer football and for god sake stop looking at the richest league in the world and trying to measure ourselves against it. I’d maybe consider a foreigner cap but I do find that a lazy argument. I’d be more interested in looking at club sanctions/fines for failing to field or develop home grown talent. 

Clarke will be filed under Burley and when he goes we will look at Strachan or Walter Smith again, like we always do. 

Edited by busby1985

William H. Bonney
33 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Would be delighted, as it would majorly weaken Killie

I’d prefer a strong Kilmarnock. They seem capable of taking points of the old firm. 

Phil D. Corners

I’m surprised that the SFA are allowed to approach Clarke before Celtic have decided who their new manager is. 

Maybe Celtic have someone in mind and have given the SFA their permission to appoint him. 

joondalupjambo

What Euro game experience has Clarke had?  I assume some at Chelsea in his capacity as back room boy. International football requires somebody with a good knowledge of football at that level surely?  

Just because he has had some success with Killie why would we think Clarke will have success at International level.  I am in the foreign coach camp and we should have got one from that pool.  Clarke, if true smacks of low cost option yet again.

2 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I’m surprised that the SFA are allowed to approach Clarke before Celtic have decided who their new manager is. 

Maybe Celtic have someone in mind and have given the SFA their permission to appoint him. 

Probably not far from the truth.

Sadly.

It should have been ten
29 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

On another subject. 

:thumb:

King prawn
13 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I’d prefer a strong Kilmarnock. They seem capable of taking points of the old firm. 

And us .. 1600 miles I travelled this year to watch us lose two games 1-0 at home to them! 

It should have been ten
4 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Sad but probably true 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

By far the best candidate. Also someone I believe everyone else will get behind. 

Very well organised what Scotland need. Got some cracking players he will get the best out of. 

But above all he is honest 

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Great choice.

Especially as Paddy Power had him at 10/1...

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, King prawn said:

And us .. 1600 miles I travelled this year to watch us lose two games 1-0 at home to them! 

Shouod have went to the away games 

Bob Loblaw
38 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

What Euro game experience has Clarke had?  I assume some at Chelsea in his capacity as back room boy. International football requires somebody with a good knowledge of football at that level surely?  

Just because he has had some success with Killie why would we think Clarke will have success at International level.  I am in the foreign coach camp and we should have got one from that pool.  Clarke, if true smacks of low cost option yet again.

Michael O'Neill had a decent run in Europe but had never managed above LOI or Scottish League one.  Clarke has experience of managing in England and has consistently got the best out of an average group of players with Killie.  He is well organised and puts trust in his players, that's exactly what Scotland need just now.  The squad is nowhere near as bad as made out, a manager who can get them playing to their capabilities is all we need.

King prawn
29 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Shouod have went to the away games 

I did - the one of the end of last season and that was 1-0 too 

Personally, I'd appoint someone else. He's done well at club level with a small club but then so have a bunch of failed Scotland managers. The reason for me is that club management and national team management are two completely different jobs with completely different skill sets required. Really, we need someone with national team experience to take the job. But they generally cost a pretty penny and our arsehole FA won't want to spend it. 

Edited by Normthebarman

15 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I did - the one of the end of last season and that was 1-0 too 

Im confused what games against who?

Craig Herbertson
1 hour ago, EH11 said:

Me too.

5 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Jack Ross according to Scott McDonald.

Put money on some else then? He was certain that Rodgers was staying with Celtic hours before departing 

BOBTHEBRUCE
4 minutes ago, stan said:

Put money on some else then? He was certain that Rodgers was staying with Celtic hours before departing 

I need all my money for the next plane. 

If Clarke wants a job in England, now does not seem the time to manage Scotland. He'd have to replicate his Killie performance for a sustained period with Scotland to get that better career move in 4 years.

However, if he's not fussed about a  decent job in English leagues I could see him making the move.

Not the worst choice, but not what I'd have liked.

I think we need an experienced and respected foreign manager who the players will want to play for and who won't stand for any of their pulling out injured nonsense.

King prawn
27 minutes ago, sadj said:

Im confused what games against who?

Killie -  3 games I’ve been to see against them whilst Clarke has been there

North Berwick Jambo

The first Scotland managerial appointment I have been happy with in a long long time. I think he will do well. 

Edited by Ibiza Jambo

will-i-am-a-jambo

If true that Clarke is about to become Scotland manager l'd be delighted with that. Was seriously thinking of quitting going to the Scotland games after the McLeish debacle but would reconsider if Clarke is appointed. Gemmill not so much! However, as pointed out above the problems lie much deeper than appointing another manager although l wish the new appointee much success in the short term at least to get the feel-good factor back.

jamboinglasgow

Happy with this, if we are going for a Scottish manager then he is best suited. Apart from Killie he got West Brom to their highest ever Premier league finish. He gets teams punching above their weight and that's what Scotland needs.

Also he has great connections down south which should hopefully allow Scotland to find more players eligible for Scotland who can make a difference.

Holyrood_Hearts
2 hours ago, EH11 said:

Completely agree with this. He’s done a cracking job with them & id happy see him stay there (I’m not convinced he’s the answer for Scotland either) 

Special Agent Dale Cooper
21 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Hmmmmm, Scotland job part time allowing him to continue as killie manager as well maybe

Nah he wants to move back to Englandshire to stay with his family.

The Scotland gig allows him to do that, Killie not so much.