Scottish Drink Drving Law

Francis Albert

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

(Worth noting the price of wines that those that can afford it hasn't changed. This tells me it's a war on the poor.)

I was under the impression that it was because more expensive wines already met minimum pricing guidelines that no change was legally required.

I don't think it's a war on the poor at all.

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I was under the impression that it was because more expensive wines already met minimum pricing guidelines that no change was legally required.

I don't think it's a war on the poor at all.

I think the point was that excessive alcohol assumption is not just an issue among poorer people who drink cheap booze. Richer, particularly older, people are also an issue and the minimum unit pricing doesn't touch them. I don't know if Scotland just doesn't have the power to set differential duty generally or would just find higher duty on say single malt whisky politically more difficult than targeting Buckfast drinkers.

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

There are masses of stats about alcohol consumption and road accidents .

your post is contrarian shit.

the message from govt is clear, the level is now as low as can be realistically enforced ,

the message clear - don’t drink and get behind the wheel- even one.

:clap:

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the point was that excessive alcohol assumption is not just an issue among poorer people who drink cheap booze. Richer, particularly older, people are also an issue and the minimum unit pricing doesn't touch them. I don't know if Scotland just doesn't have the power to set differential duty generally or would just find higher duty on say single malt whisky politically more difficult than targeting Buckfast drinkers.

Buckie's about 8 and a hauf quid a bottle. I'm glad my cider went up. I could grab a bottle of Tesco cider for £2 a bottle. Even at a fiver a bottle it's pretty good and now I drink less.

And here's hoping the NHS might see a wee bit less stress on it. 

We can at least give a chance.

Edited by ri Alban

What annoys me about the minimum alcohol pricing is that it isn't a tax.  It's direct profit for the supermarkets and they are lapping it up right now in Scotland, if it was a tax I would actually support it but all it achieves is it makes me give Morrisons more profit for a case of tennents.

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A&E and police cells tend not to be overstretched of a weekend by whisky connoiseurs or or folk who enjoy a few too many bottles of decent wine each week.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

What annoys me about the minimum alcohol pricing is that it isn't a tax.  It's direct profit for the supermarkets and they are lapping it up right now in Scotland, if it was a tax I would actually support it but all it achieves is it makes me give Morrisons more profit for a case of tennents.

Aye that pisses me off too. 

Francis Albert
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

A&E and police cells tend not to be overstretched of a weekend by whisky connoiseurs or or folk who enjoy a few too many bottles of decent wine each week.

But hospital wards and operating theatres have plenty of 50 plus year olds with alcohol-related diseases using up scarce resources.

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But hospital wards and operating theatres have plenty of 50 plus year olds with alcohol-related diseases using up scarce resources.

That's as may be, but to cast minimum alcohol pricing as some sort of 'war on the poor' is hyperbole.

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's as may be, but to cast minimum alcohol pricing as some sort of 'war on the poor' is hyperbole.

I agree  and I didn't describe it as such

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I agree  and I didn't describe it as such

:lol:

You did well to fashion a point to argue out of thin air once again, FA.

You're some caper, buddy. ?

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, Longshanks said:

I get a 20% discount from my work for 2 days after my 4 weekly pay day which meant I could pick up a litre of Glens for about £14.50 so I'd stock up a bit. No more though, I still get my discount but not for alcohol. Nowadays I'll stock up when we visit the wifes family in Ashington.

PS. Morrisons at the Scottish end of Berwick always has very little vodka, it'll be all them from Eyemouth and the likes snaffling it all

:vrface:

22 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Some posts remind me of an old joke by the late Dave Allen. It went something like "Statistics show that alcohol is involved in 20% of road accidents. In other words 80% are related to sobriety. Let's get these sober feckers off the roads". Allen wasn't crude enough to say the last bit but that was the gist of it. Of course it was just a joke and the conclusion was irrational but no more so than some of the posts on this thread. Someone tragically died 50 years ago due to drink driving so there should be a zero limit with imprisonment for those caught.

I am perfectly willing to forgo a glass of wine with a meal but I'd like a law exposing me to imprisonment for doing so to be based on some rational criteria rather than raw emotion, fuelled by what seems sometimes to me a puritanical view about the evil of drink.

Try telling all that rubbish to someone who has lost a family member or friend to drink driving 

Bridge of Djoum
On 16/05/2019 at 17:57, Smithee said:

I think they use a portable swab test roadside then take urine or blood back at the station. 

On 16/05/2019 at 18:12, Smithee said:

You might think I have reason to know this, but just an educated guess, I don't drive.

Image result for riiight gif

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Smithee said:

Lend me your car and I'll prove it

Would do mate but It's sitting upside down in the Gowanus Canal right now. 

Had a few last night, missed the bend. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Would do mate but It's sitting upside down in the Gowanus Canal right now. 

Had a few last night, missed the bend. 

Funny you say that, boy at my work was telling me there was a car found in a pond in a park in Grangemouth this morning :laugh:

Ah the Scottish eh?

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Smithee said:

Funny you say that, boy at my work was telling me there was a car found in a pond in a park in Grangemouth this morning :laugh:

Ah the Scottish eh?

Some boays.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

Try telling all that rubbish to someone who has lost a family member or friend to drink driving 

I suppose it is too much to ask what you mean by "that rubbish". I was responding to a number of suggestions that anyone found with a trace of alcohol in their blood should be banned for life and imprisoned. Now if someone is caught doing 31 mph in a 30 mph zone should the same rule apply? 

For some reason speeding seems still to be socially acceptable. Almost every driver does it routinely and If "caught" sympathy still seems to be the norm. Why is that?

On 16/05/2019 at 13:21, Lemongrab said:

A bit off topic, but...I driving down towards Oxgangs police station on my way to work yesterday, and saw a police officer with a speedcam down the road. I wasn't doing over 30 when I passed her, but was worried she might have caught me earlier,  as it's easy to pick up speed going down there. 

Today driving to work, she was there again. A ****ing cardboard cut-out. :facepalm:

The RCMP had one of these at a school zone near us recently, it was stolen and never recovered after about an hour on duty.