Scottish Drink Drving Law

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

I see reported in the London press that England and Wales are not  planning to follow the Scottish example of reducing the drink driving limit because it has shown no effect on deaths and injuries from drink driving offences (in fact both have slightly  increased since the change). The AA says that this is because we need to focus on habitually  drunker drivers (for whom the change made no difference) than those marginally exceeding the limit. Safety experts say that anything that improves safety is good (seemingly whether there is evidence for improvement or not). I have not seen a comparison with trends in England and Wales since the Scottish change.

Ed. Oops the thread title suggests I should not get behind the wheel!

Edited by Francis Albert

Should be a zero tolerance on drink driving. You wouldn't have a drink then go play with a chainsaw. Anyone caught drink driving should get banned for life.

My father in law has a pal who is an Irish traffic cop who claims the 2 pint rule makes no difference under the testing they have done, but trying to tell the politicians that.

May Alcoholics Anonymous have a point. :)

Suppose thinking is if you keep bare minimum, folk might do a lager tops but if you go to 2, then folk will just have 3 and 4 as their take a chance limit.

So the A

been here before
38 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Should be a zero tolerance on drink driving. You wouldn't have a drink then go play with a chainsaw. Anyone caught drink driving should get banned for life.

There is zero tolerance to drink driving.

Its not workable to have an absolute zero limit of alcohol in the bloodstream.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

There is zero tolerance to drink driving.

Its not workable to have an absolute zero limit of alcohol in the bloodstream.

Correct.

Products like mouthwash contain alcohol.

Have a mouthwash in the morning and get a lifetime driving ban?

Bit harsh!

Should never have changed it imo. Just like minimum alcohol pricing it’s had no effect. In fact the consumption of alcohol went up after it was introduced. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

I think the guy who cut in front of me on the motorway yesterday at over 70mph to pass cars travelling in the outside lane and forced me to brake should be banned for life. There is of course no chance he will be.

And I'd have to very drunk indeed to play with a chainsaw!

I am not against the lower limit and stick rigidly within it but there are far greater dangers to other road users and pedestrians than someone having a glass of wine or bottle of beer with their lunch..

The most I’ve ever had (and this is a good few hours before driving) is a half and half shandy. I wouldn’t dare have any more than that

I’ve always thought that cars should only start when the driver has a breathalyser test (could be built in to the car) and passes.

if people were to abuse it (ie a passenger) and they get caught then jail.

I’m sure in the not too distant future all cars will have some sort of tracker and dash cam , all for insurance purposes. And the breathalyser may not be too far away either

Craig Gordons Gloves

My attitude to drink driving has changed since moving to the US.  When i was 13, my dad drunkenly smashed his car into another (close to the polis station in Oxgangs), breaking his jaw, leg and a few other injuries and also injuring - but not critically or permanently thankfully, the people in the other car. With that, i was always vehemently anti drinking and driving.  That being said, i would go to the pub before a hearts game, have a couple of  pints and then drive home after the game (a gap of 2.5 hours in total).  

It's a societal no-no to drive drunk in Scotland and it should be.  However, since i've moved here my attitude to drink driving has changed because its socially acceptable to have a couple of beers and drive home.  I think this is partly to do with the nonexistent public transport options, to do with the fact that the infrastructure is built around the car (most bars have car parks ffs), the limits are higher, the roads are wider and easier to drive, cars are automatic so it's easier to drive and traffic tends to just be slower in general.  So now, i'll happily have a couple of beers if we're out for dinner and then drive home and feel none the worse for it.  I will also limit my beer to less strong blondes or the like as opposed to IPA's or stronger beers.  Don't get me wrong, i am still anti drunk driving but i also think that the limits are set at a reasonable level as opposed to the zero tolerance limits and anyone who is pished or had more than a couple shouldn't be getting in a car to drive.

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

I remember reading somewhere that when the limit changed in Scotland, some guy got done for DD. However, he was only over the Scottish limit but not the rest of the UK limit. He tried to go to court to state that he should still be allowed to drive south of the border, not sure of the outcome though. Thinking about it, the guy had a valid point in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

My attitude to drink driving has changed since moving to the US.  When i was 13, my dad drunkenly smashed his car into another (close to the polis station in Oxgangs), breaking his jaw, leg and a few other injuries and also injuring - but not critically or permanently thankfully, the people in the other car. With that, i was always vehemently anti drinking and driving.  That being said, i would go to the pub before a hearts game, have a couple of  pints and then drive home after the game (a gap of 2.5 hours in total).  

It's a societal no-no to drive drunk in Scotland and it should be.  However, since i've moved here my attitude to drink driving has changed because its socially acceptable to have a couple of beers and drive home.  I think this is partly to do with the nonexistent public transport options, to do with the fact that the infrastructure is built around the car (most bars have car parks ffs), the limits are higher, the roads are wider and easier to drive, cars are automatic so it's easier to drive and traffic tends to just be slower in general.  So now, i'll happily have a couple of beers if we're out for dinner and then drive home and feel none the worse for it.  I will also limit my beer to less strong blondes or the like as opposed to IPA's or stronger beers.  Don't get me wrong, i am still anti drunk driving but i also think that the limits are set at a reasonable level as opposed to the zero tolerance limits and anyone who is pished or had more than a couple shouldn't be getting in a car to drive.

Interesting CGG.  All my time in Boston and exactly the same as yourself.  Very anti drink driving but probably got a bit more relaxed about it the longer I was there.  An example, having our work 'holiday party' in a country club in the middle of nowhere with only option to drive - and they put on a free bar...i shook my head at that one.  But like you, probably had a couple of beers and would drive home.

Now just relocated back to Scotland and absolutely paranoid about being over the limit - even next day.  Certainly think the Scotland limit is correct but it is interesting to compare to other countries where the car is a necessity, not a luxury.

1 hour ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

A bit off topic, but...I driving down towards Oxgangs police station on my way to work yesterday, and saw a police officer with a speedcam down the road. I wasn't doing over 30 when I passed her, but was worried she might have caught me earlier,  as it's easy to pick up speed going down there. 

Today driving to work, she was there again. A ****ing cardboard cut-out. :facepalm:

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

A bit off topic, but...I driving down towards Oxgangs police station on my way to work yesterday, and saw a police officer with a speedcam down the road. I wasn't doing over 30 when I passed her, but was worried she might have caught me earlier,  as it's easy to pick up speed going down there. 

Today driving to work, she was there again. A ****ing cardboard cut-out. :facepalm:

Had the same going along Lanark Road a few times.

Doctor FinnBarr

I'm in a weird situation with regards to drink driving, I could pass a police test outside work but fail a test inside as their limit is lower and that means the sack

davemclaren
2 hours ago, superjack said:

I remember reading somewhere that when the limit changed in Scotland, some guy got done for DD. However, he was only over the Scottish limit but not the rest of the UK limit. He tried to go to court to state that he should still be allowed to drive south of the border, not sure of the outcome though. Thinking about it, the guy had a valid point in my opinion.

Not really, we have different laws for some things. 

I think it’s too early to judge and there are so many other factors that need to be isolated. It’s certainly changed the attitude of me and most people that I know to drinking and driving and brings our limit into line with most of Europe. I think it’s a good thing. 

I've heard of people being done for driving while on drugs. How do they measure that?

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I've heard of people being done for driving while on drugs. How do they measure that?

I think they use a portable swab test roadside then take urine or blood back at the station. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Is the correct answer.

You might think I have reason to know this, but just an educated guess, I don't drive.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I always stick to soft drinks if I'm in a pub or restaurant and driving but I honestly think a couple of pints would have zero impact on my ability to drive as I appreciate I'm in charge of a big fast piece of metal. Weird one but the Scottish rules seem far too knee jerk to me. 

Drink driving rules need to kick in at the point a driver is incapacitated enough to endanger others and that's impossible to set as everyone is different. 

So how do you set the rules then? Not getting at you BB as I realise everyone is different

7 hours ago, Herbert said:

Well..........you maybe wouldn’t

8 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There are plenty of prescription drugs that you can get done for driving whilst using as well, it's not just cokeheads and stoners that they're looking for.

AlphonseCapone
14 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Should never have changed it imo. Just like minimum alcohol pricing it’s had no effect. In fact the consumption of alcohol went up after it was introduced. 

It's far too early to make any judgements on this. You need to wait several years before judging something. 

15 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I see reported in the London press that England and Wales are not  planning to follow the Scottish example of reducing the drink driving limit because it has shown no effect on deaths and injuries from drink driving offences (in fact both have slightly  increased since the change). The AA says that this is because we need to focus on habitually  drunker drivers (for whom the change made no difference) than those marginally exceeding the limit. Safety experts say that anything that improves safety is good (seemingly whether there is evidence for improvement or not). I have not seen a comparison with trends in England and Wales since the Scottish change.

Ed. Oops the thread title suggests I should not get behind the wheel!

You got the source? I just want to be sure it actually shows drink driving incidents have went up rather than traffic incidents in general. 

I'd also assume the research was clever enough to account for the fact that the lower tolerance limit means the liklihood of being over the limit increases, therefore an accident being defined as "drink driving" is more likely now than before the change. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

13 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the guy who cut in front of me on the motorway yesterday at over 70mph to pass cars travelling in the outside lane and forced me to brake should be banned for life. There is of course no chance he will be.

And I'd have to very drunk indeed to play with a chainsaw!

I am not against the lower limit and stick rigidly within it but there are far greater dangers to other road users and pedestrians than someone having a glass of wine or bottle of beer with their lunch..

Utter bollox. Maybe you should have a glass of water with your lunch instead,  ?

14 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Poor Danny, greets about violence, drink, drug, sectarian and health problems. But greets even more when the Scottish government tried to do something about it.

People really must have a drink problem if they can't go the day without one, or can't at least wait to park the car at home first or leave it there or at work. Feck everyone else , I WANT A DRINK!

As for the next day, why are folk getting sozzled when they're meant to be driving the next morning. I love a bevvy, but  I'm getting a taxi, I just hope he's not had a couple himself.

And don't give me the moothwash  excuses. 

Edited by ri Alban

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Poor Danny, greets about violence, drink, drug, sectarian and health problems. But greets even more when the Scottish government tried to do something about it.

People really must have a drink problem if they can't go the day without one, or can't at least wait to park the car at home first or leave it there or at work. Feck everyone else , I WANT A DRINK!

There is a clear distinction between driving while drunk and driving with alcohol detectable in your bloodstream. Clearly the first is unacceptable while the other has zero impact on your driving capability. People in the 2nd category shouldn’t be treated with zero tolerance imo. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

As for the next day, why are folk getting sozzled when they're meant to be driving the next morning. I love a bevvy, but  I'm getting a taxi, I just hope he's not had a couple himself.

Difficult to argue with that.

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

I think they use a portable swab test roadside then take urine or blood back at the station. 

8 hours ago, Barack said:

Is the correct answer.

I was more wondering if they have a way of measuring how jaked one was. Like is there a 'safe' limit, as with alcohol?

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

By either how boring your chat is or how fast you try singing the Olly Lee song.

That wouldn't work. I'd be banned for life for the first one, without having taken anything. 

50 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

There are plenty of prescription drugs that you can get done for driving whilst using as well, it's not just cokeheads and stoners that they're looking for.

At least with drugs prescribed to you, you could have some sort of defence, if you were only slightly affected.

Jambof3tornado
15 hours ago, Herbert said:

Never worked with forestry commission guys then!!! Lol

17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

There is a clear distinction between driving while drunk and driving with alcohol detectable in your bloodstream. Clearly the first is unacceptable while the other has zero impact on your driving capability. People in the 2nd category shouldn’t be treated with zero tolerance imo. 

You know the rules. Your choice.

56 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I was more wondering if they have a way of measuring how jaked one was. Like is there a 'safe' limit, as with alcohol?

That wouldn't work. I'd be banned for life for the first one, without having taken anything. 

At least with drugs prescribed to you, you could have some sort of defence, if you were only slightly affected.

Don’t you have to inform the DVLA if you’re put on medication?

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

I can't agree with that at all. There are some prescription drugs that you shouldn't go anywhere near a driver's seat after taking. 

It's OK officer, the doctor prescribed the methadone I'm on. The temazepan as well....

doctor jambo
10 hours ago, Barack said:

Is the correct answer.

Is the wrong answer - the legislation in Scotland is not in place until October.

At present if you get stopped and the police think you are under the influence you will be breath tested for booze- pass that and if they think you are impaired then you will be arrested under sec 4- "driving whilst under the influence of a drug" and taken to a custody suite.

There you will undergo impairment testing by a forensic medical examiner.

fail that test and you will be required to provide a specimen of blood for analysis ( or of you cannot give blood then a urine sample)

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

If you are impaired, then you are not allowed to drive- end of- whether prescribed or not.

That is YOUR call to make and no defence.

You will be subject to an impairment test and if you fail it blood taken under sec4,

doctor jambo
8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I can't agree with that at all. There are some prescription drugs that you shouldn't go anywhere near a driver's seat after taking. 

It's OK officer, the doctor prescribed the methadone I'm on. The temazepan as well....

you are allowed to drive whilst on methadone- BUT you must be "clean" of street drugs and stable on your prescription for 12 months, the DVLA request a report from your prescriber every year to ensure that is the case and ask for proof of drug screens and so on.

When on a stable dose of methadone there is NO impairment to your ability to drive

4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

you are allowed to drive whilst on methadone- BUT you must be "clean" of street drugs and stable on your prescription for 12 months, the DVLA request a report from your prescriber every year to ensure that is the case and ask for proof of drug screens and so on.

When on a stable dose of methadone there is NO impairment to your ability to drive

Fair play doc. 

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Fair play doc. 

at the other end... many people lose their license for driving after taking co-codamol or some of the anti depressants- particularly Mirtazapine as it is sedative.

drink driving wise there are 2 distinct categories now

1- the people who are utterly blazing

2- the morning afters who are NOT impaired, but are over the limit

there is very little in between

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You got the source? I just want to be sure it actually shows drink driving incidents have went up rather than traffic incidents in general. 

I'd also assume the research was clever enough to account for the fact that the lower tolerance limit means the liklihood of being over the limit increases, therefore an accident being defined as "drink driving" is more likely now than before the change. 

The source was a newspaper article quoting the UK government on the reasons for not following the Scottish example including statistics showing an increase in alcohol-related deaths and injuries since the new limit was introduced. I don't know the answer to your second point. No doubt the Scottish Government, having introduced the legislation on the basis of forecast reduction in deaths will (if they have not done so yet)  in due course let us know the outcome and indeed the number of convictions for driving between the new and old limits. I am not advocating restoring the old limit just that decisions should be made rationally. I suspect enforcement of the law against speeding and  reckless and dangerous driving (examples of which I see almost every time I venture onto the roads as driver or pedestrian)  would have a bigger impact than the reduction in the drink driving limit and certainly more than reducing it further.

Speeding is so prevalent that driving at the speed limit (and especially below it when the safe speed is lower than the limit) is dangerous in itself, because many drivers get frustrated and either drive inches from your rear bumper or engage in dangerous overtaking just to get to the next traffic light or roundabout a few seconds earlier.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

The source was a newspaper article quoting the UK government on the reasons for not following the Scottish example including statistics showing an increase in alcohol-related deaths and injuries since the new limit was introduced. I don't know the answer to your second point. No doubt the Scottish Government, having introduced the legislation on the basis of forecast reduction in deaths will (if they have not done so yet)  in due course let us know the outcome and indeed the number of convictions for driving between the new and old limits. I am not advocating restoring the old limit just that decisions should be made rationally. I suspect enforcement of the law against speeding and  reckless and dangerous driving (examples of which I see almost every time I venture onto the roads as driver or pedestrian)  would have a bigger impact than the reduction in the drink driving limit and certainly more than reducing it further.

Speeding is so prevalent that driving at the speed limit (and especially below it when the safe speed is lower than the limit) is dangerous in itself, because many drivers get frustrated and either drive inches from your rear bumper or engage in dangerous overtaking just to get to the next traffic light or roundabout a few seconds earlier.

I completely agree that changes should be made rationally and on the basis of evidence. And it's in that philosophy that I asked about my second point because if we, or England, are saying this change hasn't worked then we need to be sure that's the case. I detest anything present in raw numbers ie number of deaths or number of accidents as they have zero context, they need to be presented as rates or proportions to give meaning. 

There's another wider aspect to the policy in that it helps send a message about our relationship with alcohol and how we are trying to change that. There is evidence that our attitude is changing, younger generations especially are less likely to drink, or to drink as much as older generations. I'd be interested in the age aspect of the above stats as well. My guess, and it's wild speculation, that older people ie 40's and 50's account for more drink driving than younger generations, purely because they grew up in a time where it was more accepted to have a few and drive and some people may not have changed their attitude along with the law. 

On driving safety in general then I agree there is so much dangerous driving going on out there. Sometimes it's speeding, other times it's sheer incompetence. I find it crazy you can pass your test at 17, as I did, then that's it. I could never drive a car for another 30 years but I'm legally allowed to just jump straight back in one, likely having forgot a lot of what I learned. I wouldn't be opposed to a compulsory 10 year competency check, though it might be a bureaucratic nightmare. It'd also deal with the pensioners driving arguments. It's not right to blanket take people's licenses just because they are a certain age, but there are certainly pensioners who should no longer be driving. A certain Royal for example. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Vlad Magic

I was involved in a nasty drink driving crash back in I think 1992? If you lived on Rullion Road Penicuik around that time you will probably remember it. Driver took out a couple of gardens including fences, bushes etc before driving off (no rear tyres as they burst in the crash)

We got away unscathed but really shaken up. Driver was at least double legal limit. I’m absolutely convinced that he would have driven that day no matter the DD limit. I’m also convinced that this is the case for the majority of people who decide to DD. Personally I think that if someone is going to DD they will do it no matter the limits and no matter the punishment.

Very low limits or even zero only impacts those “morning after the night before” situations in my opinion.

I used to quite happily drive home but had a one pint limit. Then one night I had two and noticed that I was accelerating harder, shorter braking distances, etc. Now nothing as I realised how fine the margins are. 

doctor jambo
3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I was involved in a nasty drink driving crash back in I think 1992? If you lived on Rullion Road Penicuik around that time you will probably remember it. Driver took out a couple of gardens including fences, bushes etc before driving off (no rear tyres as they burst in the crash)

We got away unscathed but really shaken up. Driver was at least double legal limit. I’m absolutely convinced that he would have driven that day no matter the DD limit. I’m also convinced that this is the case for the majority of people who decide to DD. Personally I think that if someone is going to DD they will do it no matter the limits and no matter the punishment.

Very low limits or even zero only impacts those “morning after the night before” situations in my opinion.

sec 5- drug driving is similar

its either they are utterly wasted and barely able to complete the tests, or have had a joint and by the time they are tested pass the impairment.

Proximity to a custody suite is important and some rural areas you can fail a roadside test then by the time you get to the station and the doc attends then you pass (drugs obviously as with alcohol due to the pretty steady rates of metabolism of booze they can calculate back from your "station reading" to your "time of arrest reading"

On 16/05/2019 at 17:51, jonnothejambo said:

Anyone having an alcoholic drink then getting behind the wheel should be banned for life and jailed. 

My wife's brother was killed by a drunk driver in the 1970s and back then the sentence that piece of trash got was derisory. 

Spot on drink drivers destroy lifes also random breath tests would be a deterrent as this may make a person who is this way inclined to think again 

132goals1958
On 16/05/2019 at 17:23, Dannie Boy said:

Consumption not be done about it.

Used to have a couple of pints with lunch if we, were out for a Sunday drive or whatever and be OK. 

When new law introduced decided it wasn't worthwhile having half a pint so now have a proper coke/Pepsi. Hate diet juice. 

Don't even miss it anymore, I'll wait till we get home if I want a drink. 

It's just not worth it. I drive for a living so if I ha e a couple of pints, with lunch and I get crashed into (not my fault) , I'm still losing my livelihood and license. 

Tbh, minimum unit pricing has, annoyed me more.. 

Francis Albert

Some posts remind me of an old joke by the late Dave Allen. It went something like "Statistics show that alcohol is involved in 20% of road accidents. In other words 80% are related to sobriety. Let's get these sober feckers off the roads". Allen wasn't crude enough to say the last bit but that was the gist of it. Of course it was just a joke and the conclusion was irrational but no more so than some of the posts on this thread. Someone tragically died 50 years ago due to drink driving so there should be a zero limit with imprisonment for those caught.

I am perfectly willing to forgo a glass of wine with a meal but I'd like a law exposing me to imprisonment for doing so to be based on some rational criteria rather than raw emotion, fuelled by what seems sometimes to me a puritanical view about the evil of drink.

doctor jambo
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Some posts remind me of an old joke by the late Dave Allen. It went something like "Statistics show that alcohol is involved in 20% of road accidents. In other words 80% are related to sobriety. Let's get these sober feckers off the roads". Allen wasn't crude enough to say the last bit but that was the gist of it. Of course it was just a joke and the conclusion was irrational but no more so than some of the posts on this thread. Someone tragically died 50 years ago due to drink driving so there should be a zero limit with imprisonment for those caught.

I am perfectly willing to forgo a glass of wine with a meal but I'd like a law exposing me to imprisonment for doing so to be based on some rational criteria rather than raw emotion, fuelled by what seems sometimes to me a puritanical view about the evil of drink.

There are masses of stats about alcohol consumption and road accidents .

your post is contrarian shit.

the message from govt is clear, the level is now as low as can be realistically enforced ,

the message clear - don’t drink and get behind the wheel- even one.

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

This is my perception of the SNP.. They seem to want to wage a war on drink. 

Obviously there are those who will habitually drink drive and no amount of limits on the rest of us are going to stop them. 

Same with minimum unit pricing. There are those that would habitually go to their local corner shop and buy 3 litres of gut rot chemical cider swill for £2.99. they had/have a problem. now the same stuff is £12.  So are they going to pay £12 for 3lt of shite? or are they going to look to the let and buy the shop own brand vodka at £13?  Jakeys do the value for effect equation very well. (Worth noting the price of wines that those that can afford it hasn't changed. This tells me it's a war on the poor.)

As for drink driving, I do feel now it's quite a hardline approach (however as in previous reply, I've taken myself out of the equation). It's an infringement on peoples rights, but those same people should have the nouse to be able to cope and adjust. Of course, everyone else has the right to get into a car and make it home without being rammed of the road by some pissed up idiot. 

Francis Albert
38 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

There are masses of stats about alcohol consumption and road accidents .

your post is contrarian shit.

the message from govt is clear, the level is now as low as can be realistically enforced ,

the message clear - don’t drink and get behind the wheel- even one.

I am not sure what in my post you suggest is "contrarian shit" unless you read my quote of Dave Allen's joke as my opinion.

I was responding to suggestions that the limit should be zero and people imprisoned if they breach it.

And the message from the UK and Scottish Governments about how low the limit should be are contradictory. (And to be consistent with the message the limit should be lower than the Scottish limit, which would not for most people be triggered by one drink).

As I said I am perfectly willing to accept as low a limit as is justified by stats (as low as in Scotland or lower still) - not necessarily even "masses of stats". And to err on the side of caution in setting the limit.

Edited by Francis Albert