16th May 1998 - Hearts Beat Rangers To Lift The Scottish Cup

Silvery_Moon

4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

You see ladies and gentlemen it doesn’t matter how you get to a final and it doesn’t matter how you win a final.

Can’t argue with that JT.

The difference this time round is there is not one of our current squad that would have gotten into that 1998 team.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Boab

• colinmaroon

• Nookie Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearts1975
On 16/05/2019 at 11:09, Silvery_Moon said:

As it says above.

Brilliant clips and well put together ???

without a shadow of a doubt the best day out I ever had as a Hearts supporter ...

i dont think anything will ever emulate the feeling of utter joy that day, I think at that time our whole support thought we were jinxed and would never win anything.

Unbelievable scenes - I cant remember the rest of the day as I was so drunk! Absolutely amazing day 

I don’t even think winning the league although it would be a far bigger achievement would top that feeling in 98 

in fact I know now and deep down that for the rest of my life supporting hearts I will never have a better feeling regardless of what we do in the future - needless to say that’s how special it was 

I didn’t really realise it until after the 2012 game at Hamden when we spanked the vermin proper and coming away from the game although it was a brilliant feeling being a Jambo that day 98 was better for me

never thought I would say that but seeing hearts lift their first trophy in my life will always be the most special day 

2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Brilliant clips and well put together ???

without a shadow of a doubt the best day out I ever had as a Hearts supporter ...

i dont think anything will ever emulate the feeling of utter joy that day, I think at that time our whole support thought we were jinxed and would never win anything.

Unbelievable scenes - I cant remember the rest of the day as I was so drunk! Absolutely amazing day 

I don’t even think winning the league although it would be a far bigger achievement would top that feeling in 98 

in fact I know now and deep down that for the rest of my life supporting hearts I will never have a better feeling regardless of what we do in the future - needless to say that’s how special it was 

I didn’t really realise it until after the 2012 game at Hamden when we spanked the vermin proper and coming away from the game although it was a brilliant feeling being a Jambo that day 98 was better for me

never thought I would say that but seeing hearts lift their first trophy in my life will always be the most special day 

Same for me - the joy and relief of 1998 will never be surpassed for me 

Stephane Grappelli
15 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Not sure I get your point caller but, having stood in rivers of piss down through some of those 50 years and, enjoyed the fabulous atmosphere of the dump, reckon I'm better qualified than most to give it that name.

It's just a very childish and unfunny thing to call it.

15 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Oh dear!

Nothing more hypocritical than the self-righteous secularist!

Just as a side note, there will be repentant "vermin" in heaven but not one self-righteous anyone.

@Nookie Bear makes a very valid point.  Calling people "vermin" is not a very Christian thing to do and it makes you look like a hypocrite.  I'm sure you're not though...

The Real Maroonblood

I was still quite young when we won it in 1956.

So I must say that 1998 was my best day ever being a Heart’s supporter.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

It's just a very childish and unfunny thing to call it.

@Nookie Bear makes a very valid point.  Calling people "vermin" is not a very Christian thing to do and it makes you look like a hypocrite.  I'm sure you're not though...

Its hypocrisy. I know a fair number of devout Christians and they have a decency about them that extends beyond the four walls of a church and into their lives, including social media. 

I totally respect them for that. 

Anyway, 16th May 1998...cracking day out etc etc ?

Nookie Bear
16 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

That doesn't offend me.  What does is the pathetic trolling!

Give it a break!  Away and infest the other threads having a go at Levein.

Edit: not worth it !

Edited by Nookie Bear

15 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Only winning the league would top 98 for me and I'm confident I'll get to see that in the next 8-10 years

Agree but I think beating the Tims next week will nip it, cant see us winning the league any time soon :( 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Marvin said:

Agree but I think beating the Tims next week will nip it, cant see us winning the league any time soon :( 

Winning next would be outrageous. 

Not quite 2012 for humour value...but not far off it. 

portobellojambo1

1998 will be something I'll never forget. It was such a long time since HMFC had done it previously, and back in 1956 I was only 2 months old so had no memories to make comparisons with. 1998 was so much more special for me as well, in comparison with 2006 and 2012, as in Scottish football you aren't judged by how you perform against Gretna and Hibs, but how you perform against the OF. There had been a long period of years with no success, then success did come and the opposition was one half of the OF. It was a brilliant day out in Glasgow, which then turned into a brilliant few days of celebration, parts of which are difficult to recall due to the involvement of copious amounts of alcohol.

I don't think next weekend will surpass 16 May 1998, but I do think it will come very close to it if we can get a win. I'll go full of hope, but knowing that every man that goes on the park in Maroon and White will have to perform to a better level than any of them have achieved so far this season. If they can do that and lift the cup they deserve all the rewards that come their way and we can have another few days which will involve periods which will never be remembered.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Was 18 at the time and the enormity didn't really set in at full time. I was more stunned than anything else.

We were sitting at the end of the row next to the segregation and after the final whistle went folk started to turn round to tell the rangers fans to get it up them only to find many of them applauding us. Guys shaking hands over the segregation and then outside the ground rangers fans giving us well wishes as it was the end of an era for them also. First time I'd ever experienced something like that!

Got thrown out and let back into Century 2000 for climbing up by the DJ and giving it a big twirly with my hearts scarf that I'd tied round my waist under my top. Everyone below starting into hearts songs. Was expecting a doo'ing from the bouncers but they just pulled me down to the door then decided they'd let me back in but took my scarf off me and put it in the cloakroom for me to get back later. Still my matchday scarf to this day.

Got woken up the next morning by my mum's neighbours coming round the house with bottles of champagne before heading up to the parade. That's when the emotion really kicked in amd i realised what it trully meant to my parents generation, seeing their friends toasting the hearts and shedding tears even the next morning.

Still get emotional reminiscing to this day and think I always will.

Bindy Badgy

Just watched the full match for the first time since 1998. I still had butterflies going into the last 10 minutes despite knowing the full time score. The Rangers dominance at the end wasn't as complete as I remembered it being. 

21 minutes ago, Super T said:

Was 18 at the time and the enormity didn't really set in at full time. I was more stunned than anything else.

We were sitting at the end of the row next to the segregation and after the final whistle went folk started to turn round to tell the rangers fans to get it up them only to find many of them applauding us. Guys shaking hands over the segregation and then outside the ground rangers fans giving us well wishes as it was the end of an era for them also. First time I'd ever experienced something like that!

Got thrown out and let back into Century 2000 for climbing up by the DJ and giving it a big twirly with my hearts scarf that I'd tied round my waist under my top. Everyone below starting into hearts songs. Was expecting a doo'ing from the bouncers but they just pulled me down to the door then decided they'd let me back in but took my scarf off me and put it in the cloakroom for me to get back later. Still my matchday scarf to this day.

Got woken up the next morning by my mum's neighbours coming round the house with bottles of champagne before heading up to the parade. That's when the emotion really kicked in amd i realised what it trully meant to my parents generation, seeing their friends toasting the hearts and shedding tears even the next morning.

Still get emotional reminiscing to this day and think I always will.

Nice post mate?????

colinmaroon
18 hours ago, Darren said:

Your use of language is infantile.

Aimless and infantile comment!

Note you never explained your original stupid comment.  Perhaps, this is a case of "Those in Grass Houses shouldn't Stow thrones?"

ἐὰν ὁμολογῶμεν τὰς ἁμαρτίας ἡμῶν, πιστός ἐστι καὶ δίκαιος, ἵνα ἀφῇ ἡμῖν τὰς ἁμαρτίας καὶ καθαρίσῃ ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ πάσης ἀδικίας.