16th May 1998 - Hearts Beat Rangers To Lift The Scottish Cup

Silvery_Moon

Hectormasson

Boiling hot day ,was fantastic,wisnae sure how to celebrate till it kicked in later that evening,along with the bevvy,???????? never going to forget that day,,,

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Boab

• colinmaroon

• Nookie Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

been here before

I ve posted this a couple of times before abiut that day..

Every gamut of emotion was laid bare that afternoon. It was sweltering. The delight and disbelief of the early goal away up the other end of the pitch. The nervousness of making it til half-time and just willing the game to be over. Adam making it two.. **** hell what did that feel like... nails bitten down to the elbow. The gut wrenching moment Rangers got a goal back. Couldnt watch the last few minutes, couldnt not watch the last few minutes.

The whistle goes, theres a split second as it hits home.. we've done it and its wild. Strangers, pals, randoms hugging and kissing, grown men and old men in tears and snotters, disbelief and the occasional thought of those pals and family who never managed to see this.

The cup presentation, Robbo and realising it was all real. The journey back singing, dancing with minutes of a dumbfounded silence just trying to take in what had happened. Arriving back into Edinburgh and seeing people on the streets just celebrating and cheering the returning supporters coaches like we were all conquering heroes. Back to Gorgie where it was just mental, like VE day I suppose. Team coming back on the roof of the coach along Gorgie Road- just a day and a weekend of memories.

The one thing though that I'll remember till my dying day, when for some reason I really lost it and even now still gets me a bit teary and emotional was the fireman outside the station on the Calder Road. Engines out, lights flashing, jumping, waving and cheering on top of their fire engines as our coach and probably every other went by. Talking to others over the years and everyone remembers them. Mental to think that such a small brief thing is imprinted in the collective memory of so many.

Its very briefly in Neil Pointons video of the day. I occasionally watch it and well up again!

Here's hoping the current ones on duty on the 25th get the chance to repeat it.

Theres been further Cup wins which others will tell you were better for whatever reason but for those of us around at the time that will always be the win.  To put it into some perspective the club won the cup in 1998. Prior to that it was 1956 and before that 1906. 3 wins in 92 years, generations had come and gone between those victories.

The only thing that will ever top that day will be a league win.

The Treasurer

Watching that video again the thing that struck me was that we were on the front foot right from the first whistle and just kept going.

We MUST do the same next week

4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Craig Leveins a hero to many 

I thought JJ was pretty ordinary as a player - but a hero to me as a manager.

Levein was a hero to me as a player - but shite as a manager.

Hope that clarifies.

4 hours ago, Boab said:

Because there’s plenty other threads to have a direct dig at CL rather than a sly one on a thread like this.

Very boring !

If you were that bored why bother replying??

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I thought JJ was pretty ordinary as a player - but a hero to me as a manager.

Levein was a hero to me as a player - but shite as a manager.

Hope that clarifies.

Maybe you should show the same respect you expect then for your hero.

Just saying

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Maybe you should show the same respect you expect then for your hero.

Just saying

Just stating my opinion on them as managers.

A mammoth achievement against that rangers side, and without doubt the best game and memory ever. Like most I shed a tear that day and when we returned to Gorgie just in time to see the players bus return (and Robbo on the roof) , it just was perfect.

that weekend was as perfect as it could ever be

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

How did it finish?

On my way back to Gorgie. Forgot to post the final score.

2 1 the famous 

:yas:

Silvery_Moon

One thing that I don't think I had been aware of before (or had forgotten) was how much Steve Fulton was struggling at the end. 

Watch from 85 mins and you can see a couple of instances where he gave the ball away and was clearly struggling to move.

All ended fine though when he lifted the trophy.

30 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

One thing that I don't think I had been aware of before (or had forgotten) was how much Steve Fulton was struggling at the end. 

Watch from 85 mins and you can see a couple of instances where he gave the ball away and was clearly struggling to move.

All ended fine though when he lifted the trophy.

My one regret was that Robbo did not get brought on.

iwasthere1954
23 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

My one regret was that Robbo did not get brought on.

It was defenders we needed that last 20 minutes not strikers. Although we all probably felt the same about Robbo. Jesus I'm welling up reading this thread. So many memories. 

5 hours ago, been here before said:

Every gamut of emotion was laid bare that afternoon. It was sweltering. The delight and disbelief of the early goal away up the other end of the pitch. The nervousness of making it til half-time and just willing the game to be over. Adam making it two.. **** hell what did that feel like... nails bitten down to the elbow. The gut wrenching moment Rangers got a goal back. Couldnt watch the last few minutes, couldnt not watch the last few minutes.

The whistle goes, theres a split second as it hits home.. we've done it and its wild. Strangers, pals, randoms hugging and kissing, grown men and old men in tears and snotters, disbelief and the occasional thought of those pals and family who never managed to see this.

The cup presentation, Robbo and realising it was all real. The journey back singing, dancing with minutes of a dumbfounded silence just trying to take in what had happened. Arriving back into Edinburgh and seeing people on the streets just celebrating and cheering the returning supporters coaches like we were all conquering heroes. Back to Gorgie where it was just mental, like VE day I suppose. Team coming back on the roof of the coach along Gorgie Road- just a day and a weekend of memories.

The one thing though that I'll remember till my dying day, when for some reason I really lost it and even now still gets me a bit teary and emotional was the fireman outside the station on the Calder Road. Engines out, lights flashing, jumping, waving and cheering on top of their fire engines as our coach and probably every other went by. Talking to others over the years and everyone remembers them. Mental to think that such a small brief thing is imprinted in the collective memory of so many.

Its very briefly in Neil Pointons video of the day. I occasionally watch it and well up again!

Theres been further Cup wins which others will tell you were better for whatever reason but for those of us around at the time that will always be the win.  To put it into some perspective the club won the cup in 1998. Prior to that it was 1956 and before that 1906. 3 wins in 92 years, generations had come and gone between those victories.

Great post I just love this club and fans.

3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

If you were that bored why bother replying??

Because, on a thread where people are re-living some great memories, some which are great reads, it is tiresome for someone to try and get a bite by bringing up a subject which is all over the forum and doesn’t need to be mentioned on this thread. That’s why !

Sad as ****.

Remember seeing a bedraggled, sweaty and emotionally ravaged Gary Mackay on the concourse after the celebrations at Parkhead. Gave him a pat on the back as he made his way out. He looked absolutely f**ked  Lol

Went through the wringer like all of us.  

50 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

It was defenders we needed that last 20 minutes not strikers. Although we all probably felt the same about Robbo. Jesus I'm welling up reading this thread. So many memories. 

Hamilton came on as a late sub.

13 minutes ago, Boab said:

Because, on a thread where people are re-living some great memories, some which are great reads, it is tiresome for someone to try and get a bite by bringing up a subject which is all over the forum and doesn’t need to be mentioned on this thread. That’s why !

Sad as ****.

Chill Boab

1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Chill Boab

I am. Bowing out now out of respect for people who want to recall an amazing day/weekend. 

No biggie, mate, back on topic !

25 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

And played like a defender, clearing crosses etc.

SectionDJambo
28 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

My recollection is that he spent most of his time on the pitch repelling the arial bombardment from Rangers. I think this is why he was preferred to Robbo as the final substitute. 

It is a shame John Robertson didnt get on, but securing the win was paramount. A clear headed and pragmatic decision for JJ.

Almost a year since the great night to celebrate the 20th anniversary. So a day, and night, to remember.

6 hours ago, been here before said:

Remember Mccoist going down on the edge of the box (right on the 18 yard line) with minutes to go. Then the relief as they skyed the free kick

I knew we'd won it then 

18 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

My recollection is that he spent most of his time on the pitch repelling the arial bombardment from Rangers. I think this is why he was preferred to Robbo as the final substitute. 

It is a shame John Robertson didnt get on, but securing the win was paramount. A clear headed and pragmatic decision for JJ.

Almost a year since the great night to celebrate the 20th anniversary. So a day, and night, to remember.

This. JJ said as much after from memory

17 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Remember Mccoist going down on the edge of the box (right on the 18 yard line) with minutes to go. Then the relief as they skyed the free kick

I knew we'd won it then 

It was the ref’s arm pointing towards where the foul was. My heart sank as was convinced he’d gave a pen.

Last 5 minutes was torture. Felt like an hour !

been here before
9 minutes ago, Boab said:

It was the ref’s arm pointing towards where the foul was. My heart sank as was convinced he’d gave a pen.

You could see McCoist throwing his arms up in what looked like a celebration. Turns out it was only despair. I remember cheering almost as much for Rangers not getting one than I did for the one we did get.

posted my emotions before - quite simply the best day of my life and at 62, can't see anything to surpass it soon.  A while after I saId to my wife I was being insensitive describing it as the best day of my life, but she said no - both my sons with so many other family and friends shared that day,  When we got back to the Tap Shop in Mid Calder, I tried to phone my Dad, bloody fingers wouldn't work. 

It's a Rangers pub, but these guys appreciated how long we had waited - my mate Ben ended up dialling my Dad, passed on congrats, then maybe I sobbed a bit - well I only waited 34 years 5 months and 1 week since my first game to see Hearts win at last.

The next season, I got back into motorbikes and gave up my season ticket,, now split from my wife I live in France explainintg daily the attraction of the tartes confitrure?  Gott to go now, Neil Pointon video diary of 1998 awaits!!

Stephane Grappelli
21 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

As it says above.

Brilliant.

Didn’t manage a ticket for final so ended up watching at my mates flat with about 9-10 mates all Celtic and rangers fans.

Couldnt watch the last 5 minutes and ended up pacing up and down his kitchen.

when final whistle went I burst into tears . Lost my grandad not long before and never really grieved. But the emotion of the day set me right off.

living in Whitburn I had great pleasure of dropping into all the pubs in town to wind of the all the huns before hot tailing into Gorgie . Walking along gorgie with a bottle of champers and a big fat cigar.   

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, been here before said:

^^^ top post ^^^

Finlay James
18 hours ago, Marvin said:

And mine. After all the disappointment before, this game was the best even more so than the 5-1 game. For me beating that shower of shite was a formality.

Agreed mate, the Hibs game was a formality.  They're not even on the same planet as us and we all just turned up knowing we'd win.

98 was different entirely and next week is of the same magnitude.  98 was the 1st time I'd seen us win anything and the feeling at the final whistle will live with me forever.

Still see and hear the train stopping on the bridge, tooting its horn and the Gorgie masses shouting ‘jam tarts’ as we waited to see the team bring the cup back. Fabulous 

10 hours ago, Boab said:

Then the whistle blew and it was ours 

doctor jambo

I was doing exams?in Aberdeen .

watched the game on tv with 2 huns.

after rangers goal I lay down and only intermittently watched the rest .

at the final whistle I just cried for ages. It was the end of , for me, an entire 22 years of my life wait.

For rangers it would have been just another bauble.

Its what their fans just don’t understand , and I pity them that.

True joy

On 16/05/2019 at 04:03, Kiwidoug said:

My son and I had watched the FA Cup final at my mates house.  For the 1st time ever they gave no progress reports from Hampden.  This was a marked change from a few years earlier when they took great delight in reporting that Rangers were a goal ahead before they had even kicked off at Wembley.

Towards the end of that game they had the temerity to report that Hearts had scored a "consolation" goal.

All this made me think we had won.  Switched on the radio news on the drive home to learn the result.  Nearly drove into a parked car.

Unforgetable.

The game was at Parkhead not Hampden!

Silvery_Moon
19 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

No.  I mean the pro-Rangers bias when we lost 3-1 made me think that in 1998 we had to have been doing well or we would have been updated on Rangers success if they'd been successful.

The 3-1 loss in 1976?

9 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Agreed mate, the Hibs game was a formality.  They're not even on the same planet as us and we all just turned up knowing we'd win.

98 was different entirely and next week is of the same magnitude.  98 was the 1st time I'd seen us win anything and the feeling at the final whistle will live with me forever.

Only beating the Tims on a week on Saturday would top it? Imho.

The league is fecked so we should rest the entire 1st team for the final and go out all guns blazing on the 25th.

colinmaroon
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:23, Darren said:

You have a 50-year-old daughter and you call it Dumpden? :lol:

Not sure I get your point caller but, having stood in rivers of piss down through some of those 50 years and, enjoyed the fabulous atmosphere of the dump, reckon I'm better qualified than most to give it that name.

colinmaroon
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:41, Nookie Bear said:

Would a real Christian refer to human beings as 'vermin'?

Odd.

Oh dear!

Nothing more hypocritical than the self-righteous secularist!

Just as a side note, there will be repentant "vermin" in heaven but not one self-righteous anyone.

colinmaroon
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:16, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

This particular “vermin” waited over 30 years to see Hearts lift the cup that day, and JJ is an absolute hero to me!

Sorry if that offends you!

That doesn't offend me.  What does is the pathetic trolling!

Give it a break!  Away and infest the other threads having a go at Levein.

43 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Not sure I get your point caller but, having stood in rivers of piss down through some of those 50 years and, enjoyed the fabulous atmosphere of the dump, reckon I'm better qualified than most to give it that name.

Your use of language is infantile.

Finlay James
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Only beating the Tims on a week on Saturday would top it? Imho.

The league is fecked so we should rest the entire 1st team for the final and go out all guns blazing on the 25th.

Only winning the league would top 98 for me and I'm confident I'll get to see that in the next 8-10 years

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

That doesn't offend me.  What does is the pathetic trolling!

Give it a break!  Away and infest the other threads having a go at Levein.

My comment was a compliment to JJ but you read into it what you want Colin.

4 attempts on goal versus 26

Levein-esque 

You see ladies and gentlemen it doesn’t matter how you get to a final and it doesn’t matter how you win a final.

Hopefully this thread drains the swamp of some of our daft ***** supporters 

A fantastic side deserving of a trophy. 

A fitting happy ending for a team 3 years in the making. Also, finishing 3rd in the league gives a false impression.  

Finishing only 7 points behind the winners. It was a league challenge and a cup win in one season. Unforgettable. Maybe one day we’ll get the big one....