• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Boab

• colinmaroon

• Nookie Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

JamboGraham

A day that many thought would never happen...without question my greatest day as a Hearts supporter...

My son and I had watched the FA Cup final at my mates house.  For the 1st time ever they gave no progress reports from Hampden.  This was a marked change from a few years earlier when they took great delight in reporting that Rangers were a goal ahead before they had even kicked off at Wembley.

Towards the end of that game they had the temerity to report that Hearts had scored a "consolation" goal.

All this made me think we had won.  Switched on the radio news on the drive home to learn the result.  Nearly drove into a parked car.

Unforgetable.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Towards the end of that game they had the temerity to report that Hearts had scored a "consolation" goal.

All this made me think we had won.  

Do you mean 'lost'?

Even now I can still get a couple of tears remembering that day. To top it off, seeing robbo lift the cup.

Fxxx the SPFL

Yep definately my best moment having been at and seen us lose every final from 1968 and as a 41 year old i was not ashamed to admit that i shed a few tears that day and it was great to have the family there as well.

PS Happy birthday bro if your looking i'm sure that was your best ever birthday present

Scott980612

11 year old, I can remember just enough on how special that day was. One of the best days supporting hearts! 

Absolutely loved that white strip 

6 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

A day that many thought would never happen...without question my greatest day as a Hearts supporter...

Absolutely !

Just amazing !

Everyone was just in bits at the end. Have never been as emotional at a game.

The Sunday was just an incredible day. The best parade and piss up ever !

letsalldothebeattie

Sadly never managed to get tickets for the game so was sat at home watching it. As an 8 year old I didn’t quite grasp how big the moment was but obviously it meant a lot as my old man had tears in his eyes. 

We went up to Tynie to see the team comeback with the cup. Gorgie was packed and even though I never got to the final just being able to be in Gorgie for the team coming back was enough for me. 

4 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

What a Manager we had then!!!

Take that to one of the many other threads eh !

Really fantastic videos, thanks for posting. I was only 5 at the time so the only thing I remember is my late dad dancing around the house with me on his shoulders when we won. Hopefully dancing for joy again on the 25th!

Out of interest does anyone remember how many we had at Celtic Park that day? 20000 or so? 

Portable Badger

One of my favourite memories of many that day was watching McCoist slamming the ground in frustration cos he felt he was denied a last minute penalty !!!  Feckin Karma

colinmaroon

My daughter Dawn is 50 today.  Sent her a birthday card with, "Happy 21st - 16th May 1998" on the front  with a picture of the team with the Cup.

Glorious day!!!

5 minutes ago, JH-HMFC said:

Really fantastic videos, thanks for posting. I was only 5 at the time so the only thing I remember is my late dad dancing around the house with me on his shoulders when we won. Hopefully dancing for joy again on the 25th!

Out of interest does anyone remember how many we had at Celtic Park that day? 20000 or so? 

Crowd was 48,946.

We had the North Stand, around 24,000.

colinmaroon
5 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

What a Manager we had then!!!

Couldn't help yourself, could you?

Pathetic trolling!  Just what the vermin would post.

colinmaroon
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Crowd was 48,946.

We had the North Stand, around 24,000.

How much better than Dumpden it was.

It'll be hard for youngsters to appreciate but I, like many more mature supporters had a feeling we were never going to win anything. So many crushing disappointments. Best day as a Hearts supporter bar none, great as 2012 was. I'll never forget going for a pee with about 5 mins to go and men my age were hiding on the stand concourse. Just couldn't bear to watch it. I also shed a few tears at the final whistle. Unforgettable, as was the night out that followed and the parade the next day. Had my, then 8 year old daughter with me inside the stadium on the Sunday and told her, "Make the most of this, you might never see it again".

Oh me of little faith. Here's hoping we're all celebrating another "shock" next week

The quality of the two teams is far superior to anything in the Scottish game now . What memories as it meant so much to generations who had only experienced disappointment. I like the number on robbos shirt 15 

16 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Yip, Colin, and that was with one stand still being built.

35 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

You have a 50-year-old daughter and you call it Dumpden? :lol:

Many thanks to the OP.

What a weekend that was.

Like most of the older generation of Hearts fans I had grown used to Hearts always the bridesmaid tag.

I remember coming out of Celtic Park and most folk seemed to be stunned .

We were that used to losing on the big occasion it took time to sink in that the Hearts had actually won the cup.

The hottest weekend of the summer as well.

“The illogical amount of injury time” they certainly gave Rangers every opportunity to ruin our day. Crazy to think that by the 26th I could have seen 4 Scottish cup wins. 

LogicalEric

Roasting hot day, wore a bomber jacket and lost about a stone in sweat! Getting one of the LRT laid on buses through to the game, taking about an hour after leaving the ground to find it. The scenes back on Gorgie Road... a day that will live with me forever.

Looking back it really was an incredibly emotional weekend.  

Everything was simply perfect, including the weather!

When I see threads like this or footage from that weekend it evokes emotions like no other game has for me. 

That means it is 21 years to the day that my rangers supporting dad gave in to pressure and bought me my first hearts top! 8 years old and was buzzing to get the away top with Cameron on the back. looking back you could tell how much it hurt him to witness that game and the fact i was running about shouting in a hearts top when we scored. He even swallowed his pride and took me to the cup parade i remember standing at the top of the mound and cheering on as the bus went past! if my dad was still with us i know he would be supporting hearts in the cup this year (Obviously as we play celtic) 

9 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

As it says above.

?

Ah, the bold Eggo ! Hearts chief Executive !

You look aboot 12 in that, bud !

Hope you’re well, fella !

3 hours ago, Boab said:

Take that to one of the many other threads eh !

Why? 

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

This particular “vermin” waited over 30 years to see Hearts lift the cup that day, and JJ is an absolute hero to me!

Sorry if that offends you!

Calebs Grandad

Outwith anything connected to my kids and grandkids this was the greatest day of my life. I’d been following Hearts for over 30 years and had never seen them win a trophy but had suffered so many bad times and truly believed I would never witness success especially after 1986. I remember the absolute noise from our support at 2-1 trying to get the final whistle blown. Only realised it was over when JJ and Billy Brown went ballistic running onto the park and then Hearts supporters hugging each other, crying, bouncing and just the sheer relied we’d finally done it. My dad who had taken me to Tynecastle from when I was 5, he’d seen winning Hearts sides, had developed Parkinson’s disease and could no longer attend games but had brought me and my brother up telling us about the likes of Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh. Within minutes of the final whistle I phoned him at home but just found it difficult to describe anything as I was numb. He’d watched it on tv and it was one of the really good things that happened through a very hard time in his life. JJ, Billy Brown and that team deserve every accolade they were ever given for what they achieved that day. 

Calebs Grandad
1 hour ago, Crete said:

Happy 21st to every Hearts fan ??? Around the world.

The celebrations will live with me for ever .

This ???

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Would a real Christian refer to human beings as 'vermin'?

Odd.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
36 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

This particular “vermin” waited over 30 years to see Hearts lift the cup that day, and JJ is an absolute hero to me!

Sorry if that offends you!

Craig Leveins a hero to many 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Has the final whistle gone yet?

:facepalm:

:lol:

Seemed to be an eternity.  A happier day could never be. 

Given what the last 7 years have been since 19/05/12 I think next week would carry a lot of emotion too.

Was a very good Hearts team that one 

As we exited the stadium, for the first and only time in my life I started a chant that caught on, and although it had never been sung before everyone joined in:

"When the Hearts WENT up to lift the Scottish Cup, we were there..."

58 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Why? 

Because there’s plenty other threads to have a direct dig at CL rather than a sly one on a thread like this.

Very boring !

Mid Calder Jambo

Mrs Mid Calder's 40th birthday.  Anything else happen that day.?

Edited by Mid Calder Jambo

The weather the match the Saturday night then the Sunday all unbelievable. On the Sunday had my daughter, then 5 years, on my shoulders going through the crowds on Gorgie Road to get to the stadium and when we got through the turnstiles she said to me that this has been the best day of her life, still makes me cry.

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

100% agree. I genuinely believed I would never see us win a major trophy. Best footballing day ever. But ffs where have the 21 years disappeared to! :sob:

5 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Greatest day of my life supporting Hearts

And mine. After all the disappointment before, this game was the best even more so than the 5-1 game. For me beating that shower of shite was a formality.

Edited by Marvin

12 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

As it says above.

I don't think there will ever be an emoji  to cover that day - ty silvery

Best final win for me we had failed so many times before it, cracking day i had to sit beside my ex burd and her new man (she'd pied me 2 weeks before) i was cuddling the boy at the end. Had Cameron 1st goalscorer and 2-0 Hearts at 100/1. Happiest man alive as i met my pals on the bus after it as they were sitting elsewhere. Almost broke me leg when we won the penalty. Then back to tynecastle and was out for 3 days. Outwith my kids being born the greatest day of my life. Pissed all over 2012 

10 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Best final win for me we had failed so many times before it, cracking day i had to sit beside my ex burd and her new man (she'd pied me 2 weeks before) i was cuddling the boy at the end. Had Cameron 1st goalscorer and 2-0 Hearts at 100/1. Happiest man alive as i met my pals on the bus after it as they were sitting elsewhere. Almost broke me leg when we won the penalty. Then back to tynecastle and was out for 3 days. Outwith my kids being born the greatest day of my life. Pissed all over 2012 

3 Months after my first daughter was born, Living in westerhailes and the roars from the flats were incredible - I couldn't afford to attend but we made our way to Gorgie to see the team come back.

Let's do it again. Nothing we cannot achieve.

6 hours ago, jambojase said:

Do you mean 'lost'?

No.  I mean the pro-Rangers bias when we lost 3-1 made me think that in 1998 we had to have been doing well or we would have been updated on Rangers success if they'd been successful.