UEFA Pro Licence and Frail's lack of

The Duke

I read last week that Frail was not under consideration for the permanent job due to not having this UEFA Pro Licence - does anyone have a clear understanding of this and what it actually is????

Is it UEFA that insist all managers either have or be working toward this qualification before they can officially take the reins at a club??

I would imagine so, but I'd be more interested in how long a caretaker manager is allowed to stay in the position for....

Dean Winchester
I would imagine so, but I'd be more interested in how long a caretaker manager is allowed to stay in the position for....

Sure this had already been brought up and it was said 12 weeks... Meaning Frail can stay as Caretaker Manager until March 25th iirc :)

Vlad_Knows_Best

Also think someone stated he could be made manager as long as he has been booked on the next UEFA Pro Licence course.

But thankfully someone said the next course is fully booked.

I started a thread on this yesterday and someone said that they vaguely remembered you could be caretaker for 12 weeks, the guy wasn't 100% tho, so if anyone knows for sure it would be good to know. But if it is 12 weeks and assuming Frail was officially put in as cretaker on the 1st of Jan then HMFC Riley is right it would take Frail till around the 25th March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what i have read on the internet in the last couple of hours it would appear that not being in possesion of this licence is not a stumbling block to managing in the Scottish Premier League.

Therefore, Frail could be appointed our new manager.

Perhaps Vlad would just prefer someone with the accolade given that they will have more experience.

For what it's worth I think Frail is doing a decent enough job of steadying the ship in very difficult circumstances. I don't think there is a cat's chance in hell he will get the job full time though.

From what i have read on the internet in the last couple of hours it would appear that not being in possesion of this licence is not a stumbling block to managing in the Scottish Premier League.

It's an SFA requirement that, from the beginning of season 2008/2009 (ie next season), all SPL clubs will have a head coach who holds the UEFA Pro Licence Diploma. Clubs who don't comply will not be able to compete in the SPL. The present 'working towards' a Pro Licence thing is an interim measure to allow clubs to get their Head Coaches qualified. It won't apply after this season. The rules for the 1st Division are different - if we don't have a suitably qualified Head Coach in place by August we could still be allowed to play in the 1st Division.

The rules for the 1st Division are different - if we don't have a suitably qualified Head Coach in place by August we could still be allowed to play in the 1st Division.

Well thank feck for that.

It's an SFA requirement that, from the beginning of season 2008/2009 (ie next season), all SPL clubs will have a head coach who holds the UEFA Pro Licence Diploma. Clubs who don't comply will not be able to compete in the SPL. The present 'working towards' a Pro Licence thing is an interim measure to allow clubs to get their Head Coaches qualified. It won't apply after this season. The rules for the 1st Division are different - if we don't have a suitably qualified Head Coach in place by August we could still be allowed to play in the 1st Division.

Thanks mate, that is exactly what i was trying to ascertain!! Wasn't sure if this Uefa PLD was Vlad's requirement for the Hearts job or more official!!!!

Anyway, looks like we will have a new man in sooner rather than later then. I'd still like Frail to be involved in some capacity though, I think he deserves a medal for the way he has handled himself in the last 6 months.

The pro-licence thing is just another money making thing created by UEFA and the GFA have jumped on the bandwagon.

Anyone can go on the course just as long as they cough up the cash.

The pro-licence thing is just another money making thing created by UEFA and the GFA have jumped on the bandwagon.

Anyone can go on the course just as long as they cough up the cash.

I'm not sure what your point is, JB. Of course anyone can go on the course (provided they already hold the required entry qualifications) but whatever your opinion of the Pro-licence Diploma, and the SFA's motives in promoting it, the fact remains that as things stand at the moment clubs with a Head Coach who doesn't hold the diploma will not be licensed to play in the SPL next season. Having a place on an up-coming course won't count any more. I'm not sure if there are any other SPL clubs affected by this or if it's just Hearts. If there are several teams in the same boat then maybe the SFA will reconsider the deadline. If it's only Hearts I doubt if they will. So, continuing as an SPL member next season requires that we employ a suitably qualified coach.

Archived