2019 PGA Championship

Samuel Camazzola

Samuel Camazzola

The season's second major tees off tomorrow. 

I like the shuffle in the calendar which now has The Players in March and a run of monthly majors from April through to July. The coverage is back on Sky too after the nonsense of the BBC red button then Eleven Sports. 

It's Tiger's first competition since The Masters. Could he clinch another to close the gap on Jack? He's won at Bethpage Black before (as well as Pebble Beach for next month's US Open) so knows the place well. 

The conditions look very wet this week and the rough looks brutal in places. The course will play very long for the first couple of days. 

Out of the usual suspects, I expect Koepke to be up there again. For each way placings, I'm going Cantley, Kisner, Simpson and Rahm. Hopefully Fowler can get close. 

That fecker, Kuchar will hopefully miss the cut. Sneaky ****!

Koepka is Mr Consistent in the majors just now.    Fully dialled in to being at the sharp end and not nervous to win.     His kind of power is ideally suited to a beast of a course like Bethpage.    If he performs at 85% he'll be right there.    10/1 jfav looks pretty good TBH.

Woods tendancy to be a bit errant off the tee would completely disqualify him from being in contention around there.    The winner will have to have a long and consistent long game.     

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Woods tendancy to be a bit errant off the tee would completely disqualify him from being in contention around there.    The winner will have to have a long and consistent long game.     

Decent chance of a European winner then.

Thinking about the setup of the last Ryder cup, it placed a premium on accuracy off the tee, and look what happened there... 

2 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Decent chance of a European winner then.

Thinking about the setup of the last Ryder cup, it placed a premium on accuracy off the tee, and look what happened there... 

Colin Montgomerie's type of major.    

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Colin Montgomerie's type of major.    

So, someone other than Colin Montgomery wins then :)

3 minutes ago, jamboj said:

So, someone other than Colin Montgomery wins then :)

Cruel but accurate.   

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I’m all in on Brooks Koepka. He wins I retire, he loses I’m finished. 

:look:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

35 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:look:

Fingers crossed pal ?

49 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Can never count out Molinari. He must be at reasonable odds. 

It would take an incredible effort for Molinari to win it after coughing up the Masters.    That's got to leave a bit of temporary scar tissue for any player.    If he wins it then fair play.     He'll have the tools to win a good few others.

Edited by Victorian

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Fingers crossed pal ?

:thumb:

I’m on Molinari 25/1 and Speith 50/1 e/w

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:thumb:

I’m on Molinari 25/1 and Speith 50/1 e/w

Oh, hard lines with those selections ☹️

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Oh, hard lines with those selections ☹️

65E6C66D-4BF8-4318-AA3C-3039E5A9FC24.gif

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Looking forward to renovating your house once I buy it for buttons, mate.

We could possibly talk about renting. You seem a decent sort.

Once you get his house Barack, any chance I can get his golf clubs off you??

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'll PM you you. You can have first dibs before the garage sale, bud.??

Sweet :D

23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Once you get his house Barack, any chance I can get his golf clubs off you??

Even in my darkest hour I’d never sell my clubs to some hacker ?.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It would take an incredible effort for Molinari to win it after coughing up the Masters.    That's got to leave a bit of temporary scar tissue for any player.    If he wins it then fair play.     He'll have the tools to win a good few others.

Rory's back 9 at Augusta in 2011 was a meltdown but he followed it up by romping the US. 

If Frankie never had The Open, it may have dented him more. Going into the water at 12 opened the door for Tiger and he's no doubt learned a lot from it. 

16 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Rory's back 9 at Augusta in 2011 was a meltdown but he followed it up by romping the US. 

If Frankie never had The Open, it may have dented him more. Going into the water at 12 opened the door for Tiger and he's no doubt learned a lot from it. 

I think in that particular era,   McIlroy was a phenomenon.    Molinari is an older,   more mechanical,   more consistent sort.     His high stock is quite dependent on his newly achieved putting success.     McIlroy,   even now,   can compete while not at his best.    But he can also go into a disinterested state.    Mercurial.      

Molinari is highly rated by his peers.    At the end of the day,   they know better than anyone else so I certainly wouldn't rule him out completely.     Others have achieved success after damaging failures.    Speith.    DJ.     

Samuel Camazzola
15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think in that particular era,   McIlroy was a phenomenon.    Molinari is an older,   more mechanical,   more consistent sort.     His high stock is quite dependent on his newly achieved putting success.     McIlroy,   even now,   can compete while not at his best.    But he can also go into a disinterested state.    Mercurial.      

Molinari is highly rated by his peers.    At the end of the day,   they know better than anyone else so I certainly wouldn't rule him out completely.     Others have achieved success after damaging failures.    Speith.    DJ.     

Good points. 

Looking at the full field list, I think Fitzpatrick could be another for the e/w list. 

Hopefully the move forward in the calendar will raise this major's profile. It'll always seem the less fancied out the four but in recent times, winning the FedEx seemed more important in the eyes of many media guys. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good points. 

Looking at the full field list, I think Fitzpatrick could be another for the e/w list. 

Hopefully the move forward in the calendar will raise this major's profile. It'll always seem the less fancied out the four but in recent times, winning the FedEx seemed more important in the eyes of many media guys. 

Not quite sure why it seemed to lose value because it's a major when all is said and done.    The players would surely always value it because winning it adds the same '1' on to their total that any of the others do.     It's re-positioning will definitely elevate it's profile though.      

Bjerregaard  175/1 with bookies paying 10 places is hard to ignore 

He has the driving distance and almost peaked at the masters.

worth a fiver 

Alex Kintner
39 minutes ago, Elmo said:

worth a fiver 

Next big thing I reckon ??

Jason Dufner
1 hour ago, Elmo said:

worth a fiver 

Agreed, got a wee bit on him.

Dufner, Kisner & Woods also backed...amongst others!

Fowler to win, Schauffele, Finau, Watson, Pieters and Kokrak all ew 10 places.

Edited by Zico

Henry. Henry.

Could be looking at a payout tonight on Koepka through the Betway promotion.   Some good players just starting out though 

William H. Bonney

Unlikely but he could go out tomorrow and shoot a 74. 

His coach mentioned he has been working with his putting coach recently. Definitely paid off. 

I P Knightley

That fat Fokker, Daly, shouldn't be allowed on the golf course if he can't walk it. Clown of a man.

William H. Bonney
46 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That fat Fokker, Daly, shouldn't be allowed on the golf course if he can't walk it. Clown of a man.

Seem to recall olazabal wasn’t allowed to use one on the tour. Should have told daly to **** off. 

On 16/05/2019 at 01:29, Irufushi said:

According to the experts on the coverage we get here  Koepka is the standout favourite so you can retire in 3 days.  That was yesterday, before he played a stroke.

If anyone could beat him it would be Rose, they reckoned but highly unlikely.

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:(  tell us you cashed out when he was 7 clear.    

I chucked a fiver on DJ at 25s pre-round for some interest. Getting a better run for my money than I expected!

Shanks said no
On 15/05/2019 at 14:29, Irufushi said:

Happy retirement

Koepka is now well on the way and almost certain to become an all time great.     Level in major wins with Els and McIlroy.    Els wont win another and IMO there's every chance McIlroy wont add to his total.     One more will bring him level with Ballesteros and Mickelson.     Then he'll have the likes of Faldo,  Snead,  Palmer,  Sarazen,  Jones,   Player and Watson in his sights.   

At one time,   McIlroy looked like the player to achieve a double figures majors total.     Koepka looks an even better bet at this moment.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Koepka is now well on the way and almost certain to become an all time great.     Level in major wins with Els and McIlroy.    Els wont win another and IMO there's every chance McIlroy wont add to his total.     One more will bring him level with Ballesteros and Mickelson.     Then he'll have the likes of Faldo,  Snead,  Palmer,  Sarazen,  Jones,   Player and Watson in his sights.   

At one time,   McIlroy looked like the player to achieve a double figures majors total.     Koepka looks an even better bet at this moment.

Regarding Els, it's the most likely outcome that he won't add but you never know what surprise an Open can throw up (ie Watson 2009). 

McIlroy will contend for a fair few years yet and if the putter starts working, there's a fair chance he'll add to his tally. 

Koepka's the one they all need to gun for in the majors but the fields are so strong nowadays it'll be hard for someone to completely dominate. 

I fancy Spieth and Johnson to win a big one again soon and reckon Cantley will join the top table within the next year to 18 months. 

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Regarding Els, it's the most likely outcome that he won't add but you never know what surprise an Open can throw up (ie Watson 2009). 

McIlroy will contend for a fair few years yet and if the putter starts working, there's a fair chance he'll add to his tally. 

Koepka's the one they all need to gun for in the majors but the fields are so strong nowadays it'll be hard for someone to completely dominate. 

I fancy Spieth and Johnson to win a big one again soon and reckon Cantley will join the top table within the next year to 18 months. 

There will always be a latency of players to challenge Koepka in each major.    Up and coming younger players and guys at the pinnacle of their form.     Equally that's a major reason why it will be difficult for a player like McIlroy to win again after losing his intensity and work ethic.     

Koepka has won four in quick time but the even better sign for him is that he's always in contention.     If he has that ability to always be at the sharp end then he'll pile them on.     Jack Nicklaus won his 18 by maximising his numbers of opportunities in the final round.     Woods was a bit different in that he won from ahead whilst in top form,    but couldn't win from a deficit.       Players like Mickelson and McIlroy blow hot and cold.     McIlroy has an annoying knack of playing his way out of contention to win but rallies to finish top 10 or so.     He would probably have another couple of majors if he had the ability to loiter at the fringes of contention like some others.

Maroon Sailor

Rory gobbed off after winning his 4th major 5 years ago saying he could add another ten easily and it was all about the majors for him.

Hasn't won one since

Koepka is fast becoming a major machine, he was quoted as saying he would be disappointed if he didn’t reach double figures in major victories. He’s a confident bloke and the way he pumps it out there at 330 carry it’s hard not to see him reaching 10 , easily.