Sam Nicholson

Lord Beni of Gorgie

On 16/07/2019 at 17:55, Nelly Terraces said:

Over in the US on holiday right now & went to the Seattle Sounders  v Atlanta match on Sunday. Absolutely fantastic experience, stadium is the absolute business & the atmosphere was top drawer - they had a march from local park to the game & have a massive singing section with guys in there on platforms with loudhailers who's job it is to whip it up & get folk giving it the large one - which they were only more than willing to do. Everyone standing, singing, massive flags etc & nobody whinging about it like the sad pricks on here. Also get a quality craft beer from numerous outlets & drink at your seat as well as unlimited food choices of course. All in, best day at football in years & beat anything you get over our way outta site - quite laughable to read folks sniffy/shite uninformed opinions on the game & the punters in particular over here. We could learn a few things from them as pisses all over the glum & negative atmos you get in Scotland.

Saw a bit of the Rapids game later when we were in a bar & Sam Nicholson had a decent game all round. The standard is probably about his level, I'd say anywhere between SPL/Championship but with the odd player who are streets ahead of that. Looks like a popular player who's enjoying his time here. Can't say I blame him!

This is all true. It’s laughable for people on here, who go to Scottish football and have never been to MLS, to slag off the MLS the way they do. Also laughable of them to suggest that Nicolson wasn’t a good player for us ...

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• maroonnicky63

• Forever Hearts

• Armageddon

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, dc-jambo said:

This is all true. It’s laughable for people on here, who go to Scottish football and have never been to MLS, to slag off the MLS the way they do. Also laughable of them to suggest that Nicolson wasn’t a good player for us ...

Aye but can you get a decent scotch/ mince pie ?

Trouble is if you make it more ‘bells & whistles’ with loudhailers and people leading the singing, food and drink brought to your seat and banning flags-with-a-message you’d be accused of pandering to the prawn sandwich brigade.  The increasing middle class-isation of football.

Damned if you do damned if you don’t.

The Internet

We're heading towards americanisation of everything anyway so might as well make our sport like theirs too. Get bands in for a half time show and that. Mascots running on and firing t shirts into the crowd during a break in play. 

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Trouble is if you make it more ‘bells & whistles’ with loudhailers and people leading the singing, food and drink brought to your seat and banning flags-with-a-message you’d be accused of pandering to the prawn sandwich brigade.  The increasing middle class-isation of football.

You could argue that football stopped being a “working mans” game years ago. Its been “middle class” since all seating was introduced, players salaries are 5 times or more when Robbo played and entrance prices rocketed. 

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

I hope that never happens.  I go to watch a match not to be obstructed and disturbed by food and drink being passed along a row every 2 mins.

10 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Good interview with Sam in the Record today (not sure how to post link)

Talking about standard of life and Football over there.

Edited by Mikey1874

penicuik jambo

I know a couple of people who know Sam and his family, heard a few times about him being told at training to cut in and try and shoot, not run to the line. That was from Neilson under instruction from above, maybe a load of bollocks. Also that CL was in the changing room at half time several times including the 2-2 hibs cup game at a Tynie. As has been said Sam was a typical winger, capable of brilliance but inconsistent. 

Over in the US on holiday right now & went to the Seattle Sounders  v Atlanta match on Sunday. Absolutely fantastic experience, stadium is the absolute business & the atmosphere was top drawer - they had a march from local park to the game & have a massive singing section with guys in there on platforms with loudhailers who's job it is to whip it up & get folk giving it the large one - which they were only more than willing to do. Everyone standing, singing, massive flags etc & nobody whinging about it like the sad pricks on here. Also get a quality craft beer from numerous outlets & drink at your seat as well as unlimited food choices of course. All in, best day at football in years & beat anything you get over our way outta site - quite laughable to read folks sniffy/shite uninformed opinions on the game & the punters in particular over here. We could learn a few things from them as pisses all over the glum & negative atmos you get in Scotland.

Saw a bit of the Rapids game later when we were in a bar & Sam Nicholson had a decent game all round. The standard is probably about his level, I'd say anywhere between SPL/Championship but with the odd player who are streets ahead of that. Looks like a popular player who's enjoying his time here. Can't say I blame him!

I’ve been to quite a few MLS games and while I never found the standard very good (no better than SPFL overall), it was always a very enjoyable day/night out (as with all major league sports in the US). 

8 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

Poor  wee lamb, some nasty men shouted bad things at him. Glad he is no longer at the club.

Got to be honest, wouldn't take  too kindly to being yelled at in the street in my own free time for what I did during my hours of employment myself. 

I can understand how he could do without it.

Edited by Gregorski

On 15/07/2019 at 06:03, SpruceBringsteen said:

Fair play to him scoring the odd goal in a league about as good as our Championship. 

Definitely good to see him happy and enjoying his football. Good for him. I know you are over there now, so I am sure you know more about the quality of the league than I do.

Have to be honest here, some of that sounds shit. Bits of it sound good, the loud hailers and corteos not so much.

Can I ask though, this singing and chanting etc. I don’t think any Hearts supporter is against that. I don’t think I’ve ever read one thread on here, read one Ann Budge statement, or sat next to one supporter in Tynecastle that was against people singing or chanting. Were the songs at the yank game you went to racist or sectarian?

2 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Got to be honest, wouldn't take  too kindly to being yelled at in the street in my own free time for what I did during my hours of employment myself. 

I can understand how he could do without it.

He didn't have the mental side to do the hard work and application to be the best he could. 

Listening too much to other people is just one part of that. 

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Definitely good to see him happy and enjoying his football. Good for him. I know you are over there now, so I am sure you know more about the quality of the league than I do.

Have to be honest here, some of that sounds shit. Bits of it sound good, the loud hailers and corteos not so much.

Can I ask though, this singing and chanting etc. I don’t think any Hearts supporter is against that. I don’t think I’ve ever read one thread on here, read one Ann Budge statement, or sat next to one supporter in Tynecastle that was against people singing or chanting. Were the songs at the yank game you went to racist or sectarian?

It does sound a bit shit. The football is a sideshow at MLS games, it's all about the day out, more people can be found wandering the concourses drinking and eating than actually watching the match. Not for me.

I'd give my left ball to have had the opportunity Sam Nicholson had at Hearts. I don't think he really appreciated what he had here, a great player on his day and I'm glad he's enjoying himself over there.

I’ve been to games in England, Germany and Greece.

The games in Germany had singing sections going barmy and waving flags etc, it was good. I would like to see something like that here. It’s easy enough to do too. The problem, and let’s stop trying to pretend it is not, is that all our attempts at a singing section inevitably get hijacked by arseholes who want to style it in a sectarian fashion, that the rest of the support don’t agree with.

Still, let’s keep going around and around in circles pretending that it’s because Budge and the fans don’t want an atmosphere instead. Smashing.

On Sam, I rated him as a player. He is talented. It’s a shame that he felt the way that he did. Is he likely to attract the ire as Goncalves did for speaking out about the abuse he received from the fans? 🤔

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

On Sam, I rated him as a player. He is talented. It’s a shame that he felt the way that he did. Is he likely to attract the ire as Goncalves did for speaking out about the abuse he received from the fans? 🤔

Nicholson is in America. After not doing so much at Hearts latterly. 

No one much cares. 

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Can’t speak for the poster you quoted, but I’ve been to plenty of sports events in America and heard plenty of signing and chanting, but none of it racist or sectarian. Heard plenty of casual racism elsewhere when living there, though.

Sports events there are entertainment first, competitive sport second. That means there is much more of a focus on providing a family-friendly environment where people can have a good day out. Something Budge has talked about, but not sure the mentality in Scotland is suited to that. Personally I don’t go to Hearts games for entertainment. The inability of people to behave like adults with bevvy (and the subsequent blanket ban) also doesn’t help here. 

12 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I’ve been to quite a few MLS games and while I never found the standard very good (no better than SPFL overall), it was always a very enjoyable day/night out (as with all major league sports in the US). 

Match day experience then? Apparently that’s what is killing the game here though. According to some, it’s too much about things like that and not enough about the football on the park.

4 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Can’t speak for the poster you quoted, but I’ve been to plenty of sports events in America and heard plenty of signing and chanting, but none of it racist or sectarian. Heard plenty of casual racism elsewhere when living there, though.

Sports events there are entertainment first, competitive sport second. That means there is much more of a focus on providing a family-friendly environment where people can have a good day out. Something Budge has talked about, but not sure the mentality in Scotland is suited to that. Personally I don’t go to Hearts games for entertainment. The inability of people to behave like adults with bevvy (and the subsequent blanket ban) also doesn’t help here. 

My experience of German games was the best balance for me. Good facilities, drink at your seat, fans’ bars, singing sections with flags etc, but with a good standard of football on the pitch, for folk who just want to go along and watch the game to enjoy. 

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

4 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Thats my point. We could have all that same stuff overnight at Hearts, it wouldn’t be difficult at all. The only reason we don’t have it, is because all the previous attempts at it have been hijacked by the folk who want to style it in a sectarian fashion. THAT is why it keeps failing.

Nicholson couldn't be bothered in his last season with us. Maybe just immaturity, but I can't recall any other players citing abuse in the street or Nandos as reason for leaving the club. Our supporters aren't that bad..........fact...!!

When he played in our relegation season with the other youngsters they got hammered every week and the supporters backed them all the way. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nicholson is in America. After not doing so much at Hearts latterly. 

No one much cares. 

Goncalves is abroad after doing better overall than Sam at Hearts, yet people did seem to care about him speaking out. It’s a fair question imo.

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He didn't have the mental side to do the hard work and application to be the best he could. 

Listening too much to other people is just one part of that. 

I that's a bit too easy for us to say when we're not on the receiving end though.

How would we all react to being insulted in the street in our own personal time for an alleged poor performance in our workplace?

Without knowing for sure, I don't feel like I'm in a position to judge the boy.

If he decided that having his day to day privacy invaded as a consequence of continuing his career in Scotland was too big a sacrifice to make though then I choose to respect that.

I feel like it's possible to understand his choice without necessarily agreeing with it.

7 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Goncalves is abroad after doing better overall than Sam at Hearts, yet people did seem to care about him speaking out. It’s a fair question imo.

The nature of Isma’s accusation was always going to get a lot of attention.

I’m not sure even the Evening News article writers would bother with “Ex-Hearts player claims someone called him an arsehole in an Edinburgh street”. 

2 minutes ago, Peebo said:

The nature of Isma’s accusation was always going to get a lot of attention.

I’m not sure even the Evening News article writers would bother with “Ex-Hearts player claims someone called him an arsehole in an Edinburgh street”. 

Just the DR. 😄

15 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Thats my point. We could have all that same stuff overnight at Hearts, it wouldn’t be difficult at all. The only reason we don’t have it, is because all the previous attempts at it have been hijacked by the folk who want to style it in a sectarian fashion. THAT is why it keeps failing.

I went to a Man City game last year at the Emirates and they have a great setup outside the ground with live music playing, lots of entertainment for kids and families, and bars and food stalls.

Can't really see that you could replicate that in a ground like ours that is enclosed in a built up area.

5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Just the DR. 😄

Yesterday, there was a comparison in the Daily Record between the moon landing and Steven Gerrard’s Rangers getting 8 more points than the previous season. 

17 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

I that's a bit too easy for us to say when we're not on the receiving end though.

How would we all react to being insulted in the street in our own personal time for an alleged poor performance in our workplace?

Without knowing for sure, I don't feel like I'm in a position to judge the boy.

If he decided that having his day to day privacy invaded as a consequence of continuing his career in Scotland was too big a sacrifice to make though then I choose to respect that.

I feel like it's possible to understand his choice without necessarily agreeing with it.

Could tell by watching Sam Nicholson including how his form totally left him for prolonged periods that he didn't have the right attitude. 

He has time to improve. But its down to him mostly. Not what Hearts fans might have said. Everyone, if they go on social media gets hassle. 

How much he wants it is more important. Never seemed that bothered at Hearts. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Weakened Offender
22 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yup. Chronic stuff.

They had plenty chances to get something going too, despite what the bubblehead groomers say about Ann.

3 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I went to the baseball in the states a few years ago and totally agree that they put us to shame with their, pre, mid and post match entertainment and experience. 

The make it a big day out as opposed to purely being about the game. 

We could definitely take a leaf out of their book and for not much outlay cost wise. 

Excuse my ignorance but was pre & post match entertainment in or outside the stadium?

Seymour M Hersh

Was the alleged abuse reported in the media at the time with SN? I seem to remember some stuff about Jamie Walker but not Sam. 

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I went to a Man City game last year at the Emirates and they have a great setup outside the ground with live music playing, lots of entertainment for kids and families, and bars and food stalls.

Can't really see that you could replicate that in a ground like ours that is enclosed in a built up area.

It would have to be bespoke to our facilities, but I think it’s be easy to do. Wolfsburg have a big bar and supporters zone for after the games, and that’s right good time. Even Crawley Town have a supporters bar and space outside where folk gather and drink in the sunshine and have a laugh before the match. We have a great big empty plaza at the moment, and a bar that spills out on to it. Don’t see how it could be used on certain occasions. As for in the stadium, it’s nearly happened twice, but both times it’s failed because the Peter Pan brigade have been determined to turn it in to some kind of loyalist freak show, that the rest of the support don’t want.

Bunny Munro

Footballers get this all over the UK.

It's part of the 'celebrity' of the game.

I'm sure he's happy to be celebrated when things are going well.

I'm also sure the money helps.

Regal Kingston

Always liked Nicholson for Hearts. 

Felt we never got enough though. 

Cant blame him for wanting to move to the USA. English speaking, high standard of living and best training conditions possible. 

Shame about the idiots but that’s football. End of the day he played for Hearts and the twats giving abuse could only dream of that privilege. 

26 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Yesterday, there was a comparison in the Daily Record between the moon landing and Steven Gerrard’s Rangers getting 8 more points than the previous season. 

:rofl:

21 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was the alleged abuse reported in the media at the time with SN? I seem to remember some stuff about Jamie Walker but not Sam. 

Cast your mind back to the spitting and groin grabbing incidents, and then further back to the parties with Hibbies, and then back still further to the whole hilarious Nando’s banter.  🙄

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, stevie1874 said:

Excuse my ignorance but was pre & post match entertainment in or outside the stadium?

Both. Bands, music and face painting etc outside. During the game, they went to a fan in the crowd and asked him a Yankees related question to win $1000! Had guys sweeping the diamond and dancing to YMCA! They played the national anthem towards the end of the game. 

It was brilliant. A great day out. The clubs almost take the fans for granted here by comparison. We get to watch the football and get average food at half time. That's it! 

18 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Both. Bands, music and face painting etc outside. During the game, they went to a fan in the crowd and asked him a Yankees related question to win $1000! Had guys sweeping the diamond and dancing to YMCA! They played the national anthem towards the end of the game. 

It was brilliant. A great day out. The clubs almost take the fans for granted here by comparison. We get to watch the football and get average food at half time. That's it! 

Sounds good, we have a plaza out front of the stand we should utilise more, don’t know how the YMCA or the national anthem would go down with some of our fans though 😂

SpruceBringsteen
2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Aye, don't know if folk think I was being sniffy about MLS but I certainly wasn't - it's just factual (as other posters have said) that it's at best lower SPL/Championship level - albeit with a highly paid superstar in each team.

Can understand where you're coming from with the corteo etc sounding a bit shite and tbh some of the stuff is a bit cringy (the obligatory forced national anthem at every sporting event from the Superbowl to 5 year old kids playing baseball will never not bemuse me) but the enthusiasm of the fans over here is right up there with Germany etc. Folk just need to remember it's not like these teams have been around for 100 odd years, the fans here and their culture will develop along with the game.

Nothing could have prepared me for hearing a boy in the stand irate with the referee yet still calling him "Sir", mind. :laugh:

25 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Aye, don't know if folk think I was being sniffy about MLS but I certainly wasn't - it's just factual (as other posters have said) that it's at best lower SPL/Championship level - albeit with a highly paid superstar in each team.

Can understand where you're coming from with the corteo etc sounding a bit shite and tbh some of the stuff is a bit cringy (the obligatory forced national anthem at every sporting event from the Superbowl to 5 year old kids playing baseball will never not bemuse me) but the enthusiasm of the fans over here is right up there with Germany etc. Folk just need to remember it's not like these teams have been around for 100 odd years, the fans here and their culture will develop along with the game.

Nothing could have prepared me for hearing a boy in the stand irate with the referee yet still calling him "Sir", mind. :laugh:

Yeah, that’s all fair enough. Really not in to the national anthems, corteos, and megaphones, but nothing against lots of singing chanting and flags etc. Sounds brilliant.

There’s a huge range of stuff that can be done in the vast chasm that exists between a few dozen kids and a dozen old groomers waving UJs and trying to suck off Tommy Robinson, and a few hundred Americans singing The Land of the Free through megaphones whilst drinking Bud out of gigantic plastic cups. We just need to find something that fits what we are what we have. 👍

Rocky jamboa
4 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Sounds good, we have a plaza out front of the stand we should utilise more, don’t know how the YMCA or the national anthem would go down with some of our fans though 😂

Ha ha! Yeah. We could play the Hearts song instead!!

Finlay James
4 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yeah, that’s all fair enough. Really not in to the national anthems, corteos, and megaphones, but nothing against lots of singing chanting and flags etc. Sounds brilliant.

There’s a huge range of stuff that can be done in the vast chasm that exists between a few dozen kids and a dozen old groomers waving UJs and trying to suck off Tommy Robinson, and a few hundred Americans singing The Land of the Free through megaphones whilst drinking Bud out of gigantic plastic cups. We just need to find something that fits what we are what we have. 👍

Totally agree with all of this and I could easily get onside with drinking bud out of gigantic plastic cups 👍

Ive always hoped that we would develop a culture in Scottish football that made going to matches a proper day out and experience like you find elsewhere.  There's no reason why we can have entertainment and bars on the plaza pre and post match and a singing section with flags etc.

Thought Sammy was a tad immature and not mentally strong yet with his devlopment. 

The boy is a boyhood jambo and has done what 99.9% of us all dream of doing. 

I didn't think he was a particularly bad player.

He is someone we are badly missing now. 

Good luck to him and hope to see him back playing in Gorgie when the time is right. 

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Thought Sammy was a tad immature and not mentally strong yet with his devlopment. 

The boy is a boyhood jambo and has done what 99.9% of us all dream of doing. 

I didn't think he was a particularly bad player.

He is someone we are badly missing now. 

Good luck to him and hope to see him back playing in Gorgie when the time is right. 

Nicholson gave too much away playing IMO. He rarely kept his head down and put in a shift for 90 minutes. But he has big potential if he changes his attitude, I do have a feeling he'll return one day and that would be IMO a no risk signing

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

They could always open the door of the church on Gorgie Road and play the church organ.

Nelly Terraces
16 hours ago, dc-jambo said:

Agree. I didn't think the standard was any worse than the SPL. In fact there are a few individual players miles ahead of that standard. 

Wife & I are now sat outside a bar right next to Portland TImbers stadium - they're currently away to Seattle in the local derby! The Timbers can GTF though as play in hobo green with white sleeves! Apparently this derby is the real deal & there's even been fisticucffs between the 2 sets of fans at games. Nice touch.:laugh:

5 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Agree. I didn't think the standard was any worse than the SPL. In fact there are a few individual players miles ahead of that standard. 

Wife & I are now sat outside a bar right next to Portland TImbers stadium - they're currently away to Seattle in the local derby! The Timbers can GTF though as play in hobo green with white sleeves! Apparently this derby is the real deal & there's even been fisticucffs between the 2 sets of fans at games. Nice touch.:laugh:

C'mon Seattle.

:clubbed:

13 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

We could probably use the pitch next to the distillery

Edited by Neon