Sam Nicholson

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Calebs Grandad said:

Jack Nicholson would walk into our first team right now.

You are a Joker 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• maroonnicky63

• Forever Hearts

• Harry Potter

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

He's cuckoo. 

Sorry that flew over me

Captain America

As has been mentioned if Nicholson is interested in coming back to Scotland and we don't at least speak to him I would be disappointed.

He is better than what we have just now, few more years experience won't have done him any harm.

As Boab mentioned, I remember the game against Partick after Hibs loss when we were promised reaction, Sam was only player who tried that day, Tearing about like a man possessed trying to make things happen, we were wearing White away strip and he came off the park mokit whilst the big Greek huddy in middle of the park came off park, strip like it was out a Daz advert not a mark on him.

Mr Elwood P

Amazing how much better a player becomes in the minds of supporters when they’ve been away a while. Nicholson has scored four goals over 2 years in a league that literally rains goals. 

I liked Nicholson. It was an enjoyable time to be watching Hearts. Alexander,  Paterson, Wilson , Nicholson,  Walker,  King,  Buaben,  Gomis and Sow all getting 20+ appearances over a few seasons. I think we'll look back on it as one of the high points. Direct,  exciting and effective football. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

He did, I think players sometimes need a change of pace and scenery. Coming back into the league I'd think/hope he'd be able to offer some refreshing. 

The core of the question is, would he improve us? Is he a better player than Mulraney, Moore and Morrison? The answer to those questions is emphatically yes. McInnes isn't a dafty, he wants him because he sees a good player that can make an impact at this level. We should be in, even if we don't manage to do a deal it will at least make the dons pay over the odds. 

Edit: Also think Jake would benefit from not having the pressure of being our main winger. Nicholson might help add an edge of competitiveness to Mulraneys game. 

Was reading the Aberdeen forums and they seem to think they're in for Danny Wilson too. 

I remember the 15-16 season and how Nicholson and Walker used to link well and could dominate the odd game when they fancied it.  I don’t know why but I always remember a draw at home v Killie where we pounded them , particularly the first half,  and both those two were at the heart of everything. The shots rained in and McDonald seemed to save everything. 

But it was the relentless running, ebb and flow,  of Sam and Jamie I remember.  

I just don’t think we have the players right now who work themselves enough into dangerous positions over 90 minutes. It’s lack of quality or tenacity, possibly lack of chemistry between parts of the team.

Mulraney has come on alot in the last few months but isn’t helped or complimented by a strong enough midfield or left back , backing him up. The only game recently I felt he was given good support which enabled him to be more dangerous was the derby at Tynie.  Having Burns at LB gave us a feel of what we used to have from that area and helped Mulraney. 

2 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Usual stuff i see for a departed player.

Absolute Shite etc etc while he was a Hearts player, now a living legend and we need him back.

Standard fare.

Absolutely this. I like Sam, know some of his family and he’s a good lad. But he got all sorts of shit when he was here but is apparently now some kind of superstar. I wish him well but think Mulraney gives us better options - pace and the ability to play multiple positions being highest amongst them. All IMO of course. 

He was our last decent winger/wide midfielder along with Walker. Blew hot and cold but could ping in a shot from distance and had a fair bit of pace and skill. I doubt he could play the wing back role as well as Mulraney has at times but on form he's the type of player we need. 

Robbo-Jambo

Sam, Walker, King were great in the championship season against pish teams but look at them now.  From that group of young lads Callum Paterson has gone on to establish himself down south. He has the drive, attitude and determination to go as far as he can in the game. The other 3 have not got that in them IMO. 

dhalljambo15

Tell me no one is suggesting our best winger Jake Mulraney is a better winger than Nicholson? Would take him back in a heartbeat 

Would probably be an alright signing but that just proves where we are at the moment - worse than our first season back up.

Calebs Grandad
16 hours ago, JohnB said:

He's seemingly trying to agreed a pre-contract, but it could fail on his one condition - he wants to keep his axe when playing the hobos.

Image result for jack nicholson films

ps he' s very serious - this was him at CL''s office door earlier today

Image result for jack nicholson films

???

Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Sam, Walker, King were great in the championship season against pish teams but look at them now.  From that group of young lads Callum Paterson has gone on to establish himself down south. He has the drive, attitude and determination to go as far as he can in the game. The other 3 have not got that in them IMO. 

Watching Walker and Nicholson rip Aberdeen apart early in the relegation season was a proper highlight of that year for me.

Unfortunately they either did not have the character, or the circumstances to really push on from there.

Armageddon

My harsh feedback for Sam, and I've told him this to his face ;)  He cannot pass a player 8/10 times unless they're really 5hite and he cannot cross a road never mind a ball, he blames it all on Levein and his failure to utilise wingers fully.

I wonder if Nicholson has learned to beat a defender and get the ball to the bye line yet or if he is still a one trick pony who cuts in every time he decides to have a run?

Edited by Lambo85

I think the question is this:

Does he have that bit of quality that can be relied upon to REGUALRLY turn tight stuffy games from draws/losing by a goal games to wins?

I liked Sam but I think my answer to that is - he could do sometimes but couldn’t be relied upon to play with that extra edge of quality most games.

So it’s a no from me.

Edited by Jammy T

37 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I think the question is this:

Does he have that bit of quality that can be relied upon to REGUALRLY turn tight stuffy games from draws/losing by a goal games to wins?

I liked Sam but I think my answer to that is - he could do sometimes but couldn’t be relied upon to play with that extra edge of quality most games.

So it’s a no from me.

I think you're right.

Shame though as watching the video above made me want him back despite not being a huge fan first time around. Easy to look a pick of good moments and forget the rest. Even in the video it was over a few seasons to compile that and at one point it references it was his first goal in 3 months or something like that

Nookie Bear
57 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

I wonder if Nicholson has learned to beat a defender and get the ball to the bye line yet or if he is still a one trick pony who cuts in every time he decides to have a run?

There are very few players in the modern game who hit the byeline.

I would also say that the days of the winger hugging the touchline and then beating the full back are over.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

My harsh feedback for Sam, and I've told him this to his face ;)  He cannot pass a player 8/10 times unless they're really 5hite and he cannot cross a road never mind a ball, he blames it all on Levein and his failure to utilise wingers fully.

Sam blames the guy who joined as DoF when Sam was about 20 for his inability to cross a ball?

I liked the laddie and thought he had real potential but he was another one who chucked it under Cathro. The spitting incident did him no credit.

56 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would also say that the days of the winger hugging the touchline and then beating the full back are over.

Must be easy to defend against a winger in the modern game then.

Just show him the outside everytime knowing that he will never go there and just cut in.

maroonnicky63
2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

44 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Must be easy to defend against a winger in the modern game then.

Just show him the outside everytime knowing that he will never go there and just cut in.

Wow it always amazes me why more fans like you 2 don’t turn to coaching excellent post, you should e mail this to CL he could do with someone like you on his coaching staff or better still kick him out and take over, I am sure you would break the old firm strong hold on this very tough league 

On 14/05/2019 at 11:09, busby1985 said:

Folk acting like he wouldn’t walk into our first team ?

They haven’t a clue these people 

Nicholson and Walker back would be delighted but would never happen they are too exciting for Craig 

Tactically naive I believe 

26 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Wow it always amazes me why more fans like you 2 don’t turn to coaching excellent post, you should e mail this to CL he could do with someone like you on his coaching staff or better still kick him out and take over, I am sure you would break the old firm strong hold on this very tough league 

You are hilarious.

Doesnt get away from the fact that Sam Nicholson was a one trick pony and was easy to defend against. Gets the ball on the wing, runs at a defender and then cuts in.

Yeah it worked twice against Hibs but that was it.

Edited by Lambo85

maroonnicky63
1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

You are hilarious.

Doesnt get away from the fact that Sam Nicholson was a one trick pony and was easy to defend against. Gets the ball on the wing, runs at a defender and then cuts in.

Yeah it worked twice against Hibs but that was it.

Worked twice  Really ? I can name a lot more than 2 as many on here can as well, just cancel my last post your sacked, even Cathro lasted longer than you, and it all looked so promising early doors, deary me you may not like the lad but what at a load of pish you spout ? 

4 hours ago, bairdy said:

Sam could turn it on at times, but not enough times for me.

Wasn't too fussed when he left.

:spoton:

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

The best wingers these days are full backs.

On 14/05/2019 at 10:38, mellors1874 said:

he's one trick pony if that's Aberdeens level then fine by me 

One trick more than any of our ponies have.

2 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Worked twice  Really ? I can name a lot more than 2 as many on here can as well, just cancel my last post your sacked, even Cathro lasted longer than you, and it all looked so promising early doors, deary me you may not like the lad but what at a load of pish you spout ? 

Can you? Go on name them then.

And folk on here moan that our strikers don’t score enough goals. 

Aye let’s get cut inside Nicholson back who can’t cross a road never mind a football!

maroonnicky63
1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

Can you? Go on name them then.

And folk on here moan that our strikers don’t score enough goals. 

Aye let’s get cut inside Nicholson back who can’t cross a road never mind a football!

Call yourself a supporter and you can’t name more than 2. Can I point you towards a poster who has highlighted the lads goals on this thread are you still asleep? Deary me. Nicholson ,Walker and King for that matter would stroll into this Hearts side at the moment and you know it but you won’t admit it. 

Armageddon
19 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Sam blames the guy who joined as DoF when Sam was about 20 for his inability to cross a ball?

I liked the laddie and thought he had real potential but he was another one who chucked it under Cathro. The spitting incident did him no credit.

Nope but he did blame him for his instructions NOT to run the wing, cutting in was the instruction.  He wouldn't come back I don't think but I know Danny Wilson 100% wants to finish his playing career at us.

maroonnicky63
13 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Nope but he did blame him for his instructions NOT to run the wing, cutting in was the instruction.  He wouldn't come back I don't think but I know Danny Wilson 100% wants to finish his playing career at us.

Danny Wilson does not 100% want to finish his playing career with us, if he got an offer from Rangers that would be his choice, he is a Rangers man through and through and was bitterly disappointed when they did not try and keep him. 

He done really well at Hearts TBF but he will have other options if he decides to come back. Agree with you re Nicholson though I think the booing episode because he had the cheek to say he wanted to try something different probably left a bitter taste in his mouth much like Walker really 

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Danny Wilson does not 100% want to finish his playing career with us, if he got an offer from Rangers that would be his choice, he is a Rangers man through and through and was bitterly disappointed when they did not try and keep him. 

He done really well at Hearts TBF but he will have other options if he decides to come back. Agree with you re Nicholson though I think the booing episode because he had the cheek to say he wanted to try something different probably left a bitter taste in his mouth much like Walker really 

He might be now, but he was Celtic daft as a kid. 

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Sam left in 2017, before Levein took over as manager. 

Is he saying that Levein was giving match day instructions over the top of Neilson and Cathro? Hasn't everyone confirmed that he was very rarely in the changing room?

Armageddon
22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Sam left in 2017, before Levein took over as manager. 

Is he saying that Levein was giving match day instructions over the top of Neilson and Cathro? Hasn't everyone confirmed that he was very rarely in the changing room?

He was in the changing room at Pittodrie 2017 for starters and spoke to Sam before they left the ground about a new contract and it was along the lines of "You were shite today yet again and the contract we've offered you is as good as anybody should be offering you"

Anyway, it's a NO from me.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

He was in the changing room at Pittodrie 2017 for starters and spoke to Sam before they left the ground about a new contract and it was along the lines of "You were shite today yet again and the contract we've offered you is as good as anybody should be offering you"

Anyway, it's a NO from me.

One instance fits with "very rarely" I'd say, and contracts fall directly within a DoF's remit.

But I was asking about Sam saying that Levein was telling him to cut in - Levein wasn't in charge of the team, he had very little to do with matchday stuff, didn't do any coaching and was rarely in the dressing room, as confirmed all over. 

15 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Call yourself a supporter and you can’t name more than 2. Can I point you towards a poster who has highlighted the lads goals on this thread are you still asleep? Deary me. Nicholson ,Walker and King for that matter would stroll into this Hearts side at the moment and you know it but you won’t admit it. 

Jamie Hamill could walk into our team right now but that doesnt mean we should go out and sign him.

So are you refuting the fact that Sam continually cut in all the time (regardless if you felt it was effective)?

maroonnicky63
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

He might be now, but he was Celtic daft as a kid. 

Don’t doubt that at all

maroonnicky63
16 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Jamie Hamill could walk into our team right now but that doesnt mean we should go out and sign him.

So are you refuting the fact that Sam continually cut in all the time (regardless if you felt it was effective)?

16 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Sam along with Walker done ok for Hearts if you get a kick out of cheap shots, go ahead 

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Was Levein ever Sam's manager? 

Armageddon
3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Was Levein ever Sam's manager? 

Well ... are you talking officially?

Uncle Buck

Nicholson would walk in to our team right now. I’m sure he’d flourish playing with Naismith and Uche.

maroonnicky63
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

One instance fits with "very rarely" I'd say, and contracts fall directly within a DoF's remit.

But I was asking about Sam saying that Levein was telling him to cut in - Levein wasn't in charge of the team, he had very little to do with matchday stuff, didn't do any coaching and was rarely in the dressing room, as confirmed all over. 

Bloody hell what utter shite , As an  ex professional I have never read so much crap you guys spout on here , don’t listen to all that pish  , levein would never do or say half the shite that you guys come out with, he wants what is best for Hearts and always has done, he is a decent guy  , coming on here making up stories and slating every player who pulls the maroon jersey on. On that note it’s time for me to go , you guys don’t deserve a decent team or players, it’s sad for me as a Jambo to say that. To the  decent  support on here thanks for the chat over the past few years. Maroonnicky63 OUT

i wish jj was my dad
19 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Well ... are you talking officially?

Is Sam saying Levein coached / instructed the players while DoF?  I'm not doubting you but Robbie, Cathro and Don Cowie said he didn't. 

1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Sam along with Walker done ok for Hearts if you get a kick out of cheap shots, go ahead 

Its not a cheap shot, I am just stating fact.