Beaton

Madden 

Dallas

Clancy

McLean

Thomson

Robertson.

Is Collum the best of a bad bunch?

As someone posted above. I cannot trust him when Celtic are involved.

Playing any other club than Celtic and he's equally bad for both sides. Beaton, Madden (and Robertson) would almost certainly be worse though.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boab

• peebles jambo

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

To be fair Collum has improved massively over the last season or so. Would probably have been more raging if it was Sgt Beaton or Madden.

Would have preferred Kevin Clancy.

Edited by D4nny_

Lets just hope we don't give him any decisions to make. 

Also, saw his interview on VAR on the BBC, spoke very well and made a lot of good points.

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

He has improved a lot.   But I still don’t trust him in a game involving Celtic. 

Exactly this

Could not get a better man for the Cup Final referee. Away and stop your parnoid nonsense those who on this forum thrive on negativity..

Francis Albert
58 minutes ago, Deevers said:

He has been better recently. I still have memories of goals that were not given, Celtic penalties for nothing and stone wall ones for us denied. Still rather him than Beaton,  Madden, McLean or Dallas.

Which really says something doesn't it?

peebles jambo
51 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Celtic supporting referee gets to referee the cup final with his team in it. Only in Scotland. Games a bogey.

Agreed, why not just award them the cup, hardly worth  us even bothering to turn up, 

peebles jambo
4 minutes ago, o1djambo said:

Could not get a better man for the Cup Final referee. Away and stop your parnoid nonsense those who on this forum thrive on negativity..

Take it you weren't at the last semi

Our discipline has to be spot on.  No reckless fouls.  No stupid yellows.  Take the ref out of the game as much as possible.

I would have been horrified if it had bern Madden.

Not at all phased by this appointment from all I've heard and seen.

Not sure Celtic will be too happy.

3 minutes ago, peebles jambo said:

At all the games. seldom miss home and away. The reason we lost the game was because we were not very good at playing football. To loose Naismith was upsetting but once Celtic started to play that was us finished. The stats say that when Willie Collum is our match ref we win more often than not. Perhaps he will be a good omen.  I think that it will be difficult to find a referee that is allowed to score goals for us. Heres hoping Willie puts one in the back of the net for us.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Well let's look at the alternatives.

Beaton

Madden 

Dallas

Clancy

McLean

Thomson

Robertson.

Is Collum the best of a bad bunch?

As someone posted above. I cannot trust him when Celtic are involved.

Especially in the ‘Lisbon Lions’ Final. :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Not sure Celtic will be too happy.

Victims seldom are.

maroonsgotop

best ref in Scotland in my view but it's Celtic going for their treble treble. At least that diver Christie wont be playing 

42 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Which really says something doesn't it?

It does indeed. It says a lot about the hapless state of the game here that this happens. There is little doubt where is loyalties lie. We have seen it over and over again. Still I would not want Madden, Dallas, McLean, Beaton or even Thomson anywhere near us in this final. The game here will never move forward until that aspect is corrected properly. Someone with clear Celtic affections doing the game on the anniversary of Celtics Lisbon triumph.  You couldn’t make it up. All makes  for an “interesting” afternoon.

The we weasel has already ignored a blatant foul in the Sts v Hamilton game. Then goes on to ignore a shin rake on Gordon!!!

We have no chance with the weasel in charge at Hamdump 

Edited by Dannie Boy

John Findlay

Just told my 10 yr old son that Collum is ref for final. His exact words. We will get a penalty against us and a red card. I'm calling it now. This from a 10 year old laddie.

2 hours ago, peebles jambo said:

To suggest Collum had anything to do with us losing at Murrayfield is paranoia and straw-clutching all wrapped up in a big bag of nonsense.

Shanks said no

He is having trouble refereeing St Mirren v Hamilton ! Should stick to teaching R.E. 

Maroon Sailor

Cardinal Collum the ref ? Didn't see that coming !

I'm fast running out of straws

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

best ref in Scotland in my view but it's Celtic going for their treble treble. At least that diver Christie wont be playing 

Least bad would be a better description.

Never thought I'd be happy to have him as ref but the alternatives are too bad to imagine.

(He'll still give Celtic a dodgy pen, let Brown foul all day long and send off Uche though)

Maple Leaf

Collum is unlikely to be obviously biased, but he can be quietly biased by giving us none of the 50-50 decisions, and flashing the cards more in our direction than Celtic's. I don't expect either team to get a penalty unless it's stonewall. As the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

I'll be surprised if, at the end of the game, we'll be happy with the referee's performance.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Just told my 10 yr old son that Collum is ref for final. His exact words. We will get a penalty against us and a red card. I'm calling it now. This from a 10 year old laddie.

Sounds like your lad knows Scottish football all to well. :( Sorry state of affairs where its this transparent. I'd say Collum probably has improved since the blatant cheating days, but its still as others have said, 'the least worse option'. Beaton, Madden or Dallas would have been considerably worse. 

I just hope Collum gives us a fair shake and we're sensible and don't make things easy for him. 

That said, as Dallas has proved this season, simply falling over in the box is a penalty. So its an impossible task. 

Back to 2005

Celtic were not looking like scoring at Murrayfield until Willie gave them the sort of decision he only ever gives them. 

Can only assume the Willie apologists on here have never seen him refereeing a Hearts game against them.  

Robbo-Jambo
3 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

A Celtic fan referees Celtic in the cup final. You couldn't make it up!

Ridiculous appointment. If Celtic are struggling he will do something to make sure they get their treble treble.

I'm spiralling down and down into the depths of Jambo depression, my team is playing s***e, with a manager on the shoogliest of shoogly pegs, we're playing Celtic twice in Glasgow, knowing my luck we'll win by a fluke last minute goal in the first game and get stuffed in the cup final, and now to cap it all I hear the cup final ref is to be Willie bloody Collum, Willie (give Celtic a penalty quick) Collum. The way my luck is going, the only way we might win this cup final would be is, if I put a massive bet on Celtic to win, buy a green and white scarf and go and stand in amongst the unwashed and cheer like mad for them, yes, with me supporting them that should be enough to **** up their day.

11 hours ago, o1djambo said:

Absolute pish. Keep your head in the sand if you wish.

It's often not the big decisions that decide the outcome of games, it's the constant drip of 50/50 decisions constantly going against one team. This is what Collum is excellent at when officiating in their games. That said he's not above giving them dubious penalties or failing to see goals scored against them and waving play on.

The worst of it is this is what refereeing here has come down to. Glasgow bias all over the place and it becoming impossible to find a completely neutral and trustworthy official to take charge of games where the bigot brothers are involved.

No wonder the game here is laughed at elsewhere.

The Treasurer

Like most posters I'm glad it's not Madden or even worse Beaton.

However it doesn't matter who it is, no referee in Scotland would be prepared to give Hearts any decisions that might stop the treble treble.

11 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Like most posters I'm glad it's not Madden or even worse Beaton.

However it doesn't matter who it is, no referee in Scotland would be prepared to give Hearts any decisions that might stop the treble treble.

Little doubt though that the one chosen will be wearing his Lisbon Lions top under his refs shirt on the day and won’t be wanting to be walking into his school on the Monday morning being the one to have officiated in the game where the treble treble was thwarted. 

9 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Celtic were not looking like scoring at Murrayfield until Willie gave them the sort of decision he only ever gives them. 

Can only assume the Willie apologists on here have never seen him refereeing a Hearts game against them.  

You assume wrong.

Maybe we missed some of the bad decisions he gave as we were too busy doing the Poznan !

Well! Knock me down with a communion cushion ? We all never seen that coming from our wonderful football association ??

WeeToonJambo
17 hours ago, WeeToonJambo said:

That was Steven MacLean.

Replying to my own post.  Of course it was Collum.  Put it down to old age and a fading memory!

upgotheheads
16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Very interesting. Couldn't be done in Scotland because at a guess 75% of refs would support one or the other of the arse cheeks. Of course it doesn't help that most of the referees are selected from west of Scotland referee associations, as CL pointed out a few months ago. What was the stat he quoted? Only three Edinburgh referees appointed to Scottish Cup finals in the last 120 years? 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Collum's desire to be the centre of attention will overpower his Celtic mindedness and he'll send off one of them for a penalty. A decision that stops the treble treble will get far more press than if he stitches us up!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Out of curiosity, my filthy sheepy family still have the highlights of the 2017 final on the Planner. So I watched them.

No way was Madden getting entrusted again! Madden would have been a good appointment as would have Beaton.

I think Collum does now place great stock on his international reputation, being a showpiece and with a team of 6 I expect him not to be too obvious. Though he is bound to favour them in any critical 50 50 call.

His yellow card for MacLean for the ball hitting lustig in the face killed any chance we had of beating Celtic in the semi. Took MacLean totally out the game, meant he couldn’t challenge for the ball, couldn’t press the Celtic players for fear of another booking. Same happened with Uche at Easter road, silly booking and it took him out the game, a game in which we where dominating. It’s not the big decisions that kill us with collum, it’s the wee subtle ones that add up. 30 seconds on the clock in that semi, a game in which we had all the momentum, in a venue that wasn’t hampden and he booked our target man. In the same match he gave a very soft penalty, chopped a hearts goal off as well (rightly). 

Collum is a Celtic man, his family are Celtic daft, this wouldn’t be acceptable in any other country. 

ArcticJambo

You've all read this story before.  All Scottish football fans have read this story before.  Add in the special circumstances, and you've got a game where it will just be accepted that Celtic will receive favours.  That's how it is folks!  :muggy:

Jasonauskas

If I regularly wrapped my head in tin foil I would point out that Celtic have had their own ref for the quarter final, the semi final and now the final? 

However, I do think that Collum values his reputation and position as a referee on the international stage far more than any perceived alliegences to Celtic, so I’m of the opinion that it’s the best appointment of a bad lot, we could have had Madden.

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

His yellow card for MacLean for the ball hitting lustig in the face killed any chance we had of beating Celtic in the semi. Took MacLean totally out the game, meant he couldn’t challenge for the ball, couldn’t press the Celtic players for fear of another booking. Same happened with Uche at Easter road, silly booking and it took him out the game, a game in which we where dominating. It’s not the big decisions that kill us with collum, it’s the wee subtle ones that add up. 30 seconds on the clock in that semi, a game in which we had all the momentum, in a venue that wasn’t hampden and he booked our target man. In the same match he gave a very soft penalty, chopped a hearts goal off as well (rightly). 

Collum is a Celtic man, his family are Celtic daft, this wouldn’t be acceptable in any other country. 

Target man ?

Jeez...that’s bumming up MacLean a bit !

The Semi was doon the tubes when Naismith got injured. 

We were well beaten that day. End of story.

11 minutes ago, Boab said:

Target man ?

Jeez...that’s bumming up MacLean a bit !

The Semi was doon the tubes when Naismith got injured. 

We were well beaten that day. End of story.

Yeah not arguing that but that booking effectively took MacLean out the game. Replacing Naismith with Danny amankwa didn’t help ?. The fact is that when Celtic need a decision more often than not collum gives them it. That’s a worry for any club going into a cup final. You want a strong ref, collum isn’t one.