• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FWJ

• Lovecraft

• Shanks said no

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The look of despair on the Swedish boy's face when he realised he'd got a shit score from the public ???

So the only people who like the UK are guys who like to march up and down streets peeping a flute. 

UK = Embarrassing 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, jumpship said:

So the only people who like the UK are guys who like to march up and down streets peeping a flute. 

UK = Embarrassing 

To be fair "**** europe" isn't a message that'll win many friends on the continent

20 minutes ago, jumpship said:

UK = Embarrassing 

Lafferty got to vote?

peter_hmfc

Australia won their semi-final with 261 points, Holland won their semi-final with 280 points.

Australias performance on the night let them down, as I predicted, but they deserved far far better than 9th.

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

To be fair "**** europe" isn't a message that'll win many friends on the continent

It might be something to with the UK being one of the Big Five, who don't need to qualify. Three of the Big Five were in the bottom five. The UK have been doing shit at Eurovision for a long time.

1 hour ago, jumpship said:

UK = Embarrassing 

Its shitty tv mate..not life

Sooperstar
46 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

Australia won their semi-final with 261 points, Holland won their semi-final with 280 points.

Australias performance on the night let them down, as I predicted, but they deserved far far better than 9th.

The judges votes were based on a rehearsal from yesterday. Or at least they were meant to be. In reality the judges will have known before they went in who they were voting for.

peter_hmfc
Just now, Sooperstar said:

The judges votes were based on a rehearsal from yesterday. Or at least they were meant to be. In reality the judges will have known before they went in who they were voting for.

Only 153 (I think) from the public vote though, you could tell on her face she hoped for far more.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Australia  just a gimmick,imagine the cost if they won.

peter_hmfc
Just now, Tott said:

giphy.gif

Do you realise it wouldn't have been hosted in Australia even if they had won?

1 minute ago, peter_hmfc said:

giphy.gif

Do you realise it wouldn't have been hosted in Australia even if they had won?

Obviously not ya thud..not a eurovision expert.

Dont the winnners usually host next again year?

Sooperstar
21 minutes ago, Tott said:

If they won they had an agreement to stage the comp with one of the European countries. Probably us.

Sooperstar
23 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

Only 153 (I think) from the public vote though, you could tell on her face she hoped for far more.

She's not the only one. The Greece and Cyrpus votes showed that even with judges votes you can't take away the voting for neighbours. There has to be a way to stop that shit.

peter_hmfc
14 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

She's not the only one. The Greece and Cyrpus votes showed that even with judges votes you can't take away the voting for neighbours. There has to be a way to stop that shit.

Some interesting statistics from the contest.

The lowest semi-final score was 16 by Ireland, the lowest final score was 16 by the UK.

Even more strange: Sweden won the jury vote, Norway won the public vote, yet Holland still won the whole contest.

43 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

If they won they had an agreement to stage the comp with one of the European countries. Probably us.

I read that they were going to approach Germany and if they refused then it would be in the UK.

gashauskis9

Must admit, the UK singing a song called “Bigger than us” whilst trying to leave Europe is a tad ironic.

Just saw the UK came last :rofl:I wonder if that was politically motivated. Usually Eurovision is (not just UK).

58 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Must admit, the UK singing a song called “Bigger than us” whilst trying to leave Europe is a tad ironic.

Would have suited the French entry more. 

highlandjambo3

Just one line to say, not very productive I know but here goes........

“Eurovision song nonsense”

they should scrap this ZZzzzed fest altogether 

16 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Would have suited the French entry more. 

Aye, that or the nana banana singer.?

Jambo-Jimbo
26 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Just saw the UK came last :rofl:I wonder if that was politically motivated. Usually Eurovision is (not just UK).

Probably more to do with the UK's entry just being total crap.

We did see the usual political pish from the likes of Greece who gave Cyprus 12 points, I bet you can't guess whom Cyprus gave their 12 points to?

San Marino giving Italy 12 points, well there was a shocker as was Russia giving Azerbaijan 12 points and Serbia 12 points to North Macedonia & Finland 12 points to............................Yip Sweden never seen that one coming, and that's just the ones I can rattle off the top of my head, there will be others.

Time to do away completely with the individual country jury's and just go with a public vote.

CavySlaveJambo
19 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We did see the usual political pish from the likes of Greece who gave Cyprus 12 points, I bet you can't guess whom Cyprus gave their 12 points to?

San Marino giving Italy 12 points, well there was a shocker as was Russia giving Azerbaijan 12 points and Serbia 12 points to North Macedonia & Finland 12 points to............................Yip Sweden never seen that one coming, and that's just the ones I can rattle off the top of my head, there will be others.

Time to do away completely with the individual country jury's and just go with a public vote.

The public vote is very likely to be the same as this. 

Which is why they moved to the 50/50 Jury/Public vote after being all public vote for a long time.   

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

The public vote is very likely to be the same as this. 

Which is why they moved to the 50/50 Jury/Public vote after being all public vote for a long time.   

According to wiki and if I'm reading it correctly, public voting didn't begin until 1997 and even then it was only 5 countires which used it, the previous 41 years was totally jury based.  It would appear that only the 10 years between 1998 - 2008 was it totally public votes and from 2009 it has been the current 50/50 jury-public split and the current format since 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_at_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest#1975_to_2015

As has been shown the last two years the 'expert' jury panel's views have often been completely different than that of the public's.

North Macedonia - 237 jury pts, 58 public pts.

Russia - 125 jury pts, 244 public pts.

Norway - 47 jury pts, 291 public pts (the highest public vote)

Sweden - 239 jury pts, 93 public pts.

Iceland - 48 jury pts, 186 public pts.

Czech Republic - 150 jury pts, 7 (Seven) public pts.

Malta - 75 jury pts, 20 public pts.

San Marino - 16 jury pts, 65 public pts.

Spain - 7 jury pts, 53 public pts.

Germany - 32 jury pts, 0 (nil poi) of the public.

These are the worst cases where the juries have got it hugely wrong from the public and the juries are supposted to be 'experts'.

https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2019

If this had been solely a public vote and based upon last nights results, then Norway would have won as they received the highest public points of 291 which is 30 more than the Netherlands received with 261, what made the difference for the Netherlands was the juries votes as they got 231 opposed to only 47 for Norway, so the question has to be asked what didn't the juries like about the Norwegian entry which the population all over Europe did like about it.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Jury votes are made on the basis of the dress rehearsal.

Jury is often made up of music industry people.

Public votes are made on the basis of the final performance, or from previous experience of the artist via music videos or semi-final appearances.

Quite natural for music industry people and the general public to like different things for different reasons.

:conspiracy:

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Jury votes are made on the basis of the dress rehearsal.

Jury is often made up of music industry people.

Public votes are made on the basis of the final performance, or from previous experience of the artist via music videos or semi-final appearances.

Quite natural for music industry people and the general public to like different things for different reasons.

:conspiracy:

Thought your IBS was keeping you away from Eurovision this year. 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yup.

We’ve given up trying.  We used to get top-notch, established performers & great song writers and we would do very well - we have won 5 times and come second a record 17 times. People like Matt Monro, Kathy Kirby, Sandi Shaw, Cliff, Lulu, Mary Hopkins, Clodagh Rogers, The New Seekers, Olivia Newton-John, The Shadows, Lindsay DePaul, Sonja & Michael Ball.  Ok, they seem toe-curlingly naff and MOR, especially now, but they were well-known, big-selling chart acts.

Now we get X-Factor nobodies that might try their hardest but that doesn’t cut it.

(It also helped us and Ireland when you had to perform in one of your nation’s official languages.  English is the language of ‘pop’)

The last time we really tried we had Andrew Lloyd Webber write the song & coupled with a great performance by Jade Ewan we got 5th (2009).  That was the only time in the last 17 years that we finished in the top 10.

Edited by FWJ

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Thought your IBS was keeping you away from Eurovision this year. 

:vrface:Chronic patter

Nookie Bear
27 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Yup.

We’ve given up trying.  We used to get top-notch, established performers & great song writers and we would do very well - we have won 5 times and come second a record 17 times. People like Matt Monro, Kathy Kirby, Sandi Shaw, Cliff, Lulu, Mary Hopkins, Clodagh Rogers, The New Seekers, Olivia Newton-John, The Shadows, Lindsay DePaul, Sonja & Michael Ball.  Ok, they seem toe-curlingly naff and MOR, especially now, but they were well-known, big-selling chart acts.

Now we get X-Factor nobodies that might try their hardest but that doesn’t cut it.

(It also helped us and Ireland when you had to perform in one of your nation’s official languages.  English is the language of ‘pop’)

The last time we really tried we had Andrew Lloyd Webber write the song & coupled with a great performance by Jade Ewan we got 5th (2009).  That was the only time in the last 17 years that we finished in the top 10.

Yep, exactly. 

Our lame stage presentation doesn’t help either. The Russian effort was a bit dull but the use of those different screams added something to it overall. 

All we we had was a slightly overweight kid wearing too tight jeans, like he is off for some Top Bantz in the pub after work. 

Jambo-Jimbo
33 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Yup.

Yeh agree, I have been of the opinion for some time now, that if we aren't taking it seriously then why the hell are we taking part at all.

British music still dominates much of Europe, yet when it comes to Eurovision we seem to view it all as a joke, which our biggest established stars avoid like the plague, when was the last time the UK had a bigish Internationally known performer represent us, could it have been Katrina & the Waves in 1997 and we won it that year didn't we. 

You are correct that Lord Webber wrote a song but I think the very next year it was back to the usual pish and has been ever since.

Funny you mention the X factor as they were on about that on TV (BBC I think it was) this morning and of why are we picking X factor or the voice type winning songs nowadays which just flop miserably.

I think we should be trying to entice the likes of Take That or Elton John or some other similar big star/s to represent us, maybe even Madonna, well on second thoughts maybe not, judging by last nights performance

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

According to wiki and if I'm reading it correctly, public voting didn't begin until 1997 and even then it was only 5 countires which used it, the previous 41 years was totally jury based.  It would appear that only the 10 years between 1998 - 2008 was it totally public votes and from 2009 it has been the current 50/50 jury-public split and the current format since 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_at_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest#1975_to_2015

The 10 years of entirely public voting was very political too.  

But what is happening is the juries voting off a separate show to the public. And they have set criteria to Judge from. But the public vote can be manipulated by people voting multiple times. And of course if a song is popular around Europe or an artist is popular is multiple countries they are in with a greater chance.  

At least the EBU release who voted for who. 

The UK's public votes came from our neighbours in Ireland. I was expecting to be waiting a few days for these. 

Jambothump

This is the only European Song worth a sook :-

The European song Sung in the manner of Frank Sinatra, “My Way”

1986 version

And Now, The end is near

We’ve followed Hearts, from Perth to paisley

We’ve travelled far, by bus and car

And other times, we’ve went by railway

We’ve beeeeen, to Aberdeen

We hate the Hibs, they make us spew up

So make a noise, you Gorgie Boys

We’re going to Euuuurope

To seeeee, H-M-F-C

We’ll even dig the Channel Tunnel

When we’re afloat, on some big boat

We’ll tie our scarves around the Funnel

We have no cares, for other players

Like Rossie, Boniec or Tardelli

When we’re, overseeees

The Hibs will be, in Portabelly.

Oh I do like to beside the seaside

With a hammer in my hand

Bashing Hibees in the sand

Beside the seaside, beside the sea

Jambo-Jimbo
24 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

The 10 years of entirely public voting was very political too.  

But what is happening is the juries voting off a separate show to the public. And they have set criteria to Judge from. But the public vote can be manipulated by people voting multiple times. And of course if a song is popular around Europe or an artist is popular is multiple countries they are in with a greater chance.  

At least the EBU release who voted for who. 

The UK's public votes came from our neighbours in Ireland. I was expecting to be waiting a few days for these. 

I suppose the simple truth is that there is no easy answer, of how you can get the political element out of it, and for it to become what it once was, and that being a song contest where the best song & performance won irrespective of the country you were representing or the number of friendly countries which you happen to share a language/culture/border with.

6 hours ago, Cade said:

:vrface:Chronic patter

An Immodium would probably help in the short term. The missus had chronic patter a while back after a dodgy KFC in London. The morning was a write off but Immodium helped loads.