Berwick Rangers

Nucky Thompson

Tasavallan
16 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Remember all the help Gretna got like playing their home games at Motherwell yet Bonnyrigg Rose get treated like crap because it’s teams like Berwick Rangers that run the SFA and it’s all about self preservation. 

I am angry that Bonnyrigg were not given dispensation by the SFA.  Whitehill Welfare are a poor side and should have been relegated.  Welfare's Ferguson Park does not Have floodlights, neither does Civil Service Stroller and Vale of Leithen.

As I said previously, this is snobbism by the SFA against a former Junior club.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nucky Thompson

• sadj

• letsalldothebeattie

• Maroon Sailor

Tasavallan
3 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I am angry that Bonnyrigg were not given dispensation by the SFA.  Whitehill Welfare are a poor side and should have been relegated.  Welfare's Ferguson Park does not Have floodlights, neither does Civil Service Stroller and Vale of Leithen.  Bonnyrigg should have proposed sharing New Victoria Park with Nitten for a season while floodlights are erected at New Dundas Park.

As I said previously, this is snobbism by the SFA against a former Junior club.

16 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Pogo Smith what a legend.

was with him and Moyes in the Gorgie Suite couple of weeks ago

1 hour ago, systemx said:

was with him and Moyes in the Gorgie Suite couple of weeks ago

It would of been a freeby lol.

Tommy Brown

Berwick Rangers' demotion from the Scottish Professional Football League has been "years" in the making, says incoming chairman John Bell.

"It's not something that's happened over recent months - it's happened over recent years," Bell said. "People that have supported us for years are extremely angry with how we've got in this position.

"Our challenge is to change that energy, make it really positive, and put the resources in place that we haven't been able to do.

"Maybe we have to take that step backwards to go forwards. If we regroup and come out of this a better club, regardless of what league we're in, maybe the short-term pain will have been worth it."

good luck Berwick

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48328203

Tasavallan

Berwick have languished in the bottom 3 of League 2 for many a season.  No ambition, no support, no funds.  With East Stirlingshire gone it generally left Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath to compete against for the drop (and even they have managed a spell in League 1).   Even Edinburgh City have moved into the play-offs.

It is easy to see where the problem lied: 35 goals scored last season and only 27 scored this season (Couldn't even score in the play-off games.) Couple that with conceding 91 goals and with the pyramid now in place, it is goodbye Berwick.  I doubt we will see them in the SPFL again, so the Cross of St George can get removed from the reference sites.

WELCOME COVE RANGERS.

I think it's underestimated just how big an achievement Cowdenbeath staying up for 3 consecutive seasons in the Championship was. Quite possibly one of the greatest achievements in Scottish football history.

I have some sympathy for clubs like Berwick getting relegated but lots of these clubs have spent most years in the bottom tier and have only survived in the league for such a long time because there was no possible relegation.  About time we had some new and ambitious clubs in the league and the existing league clubs actually have to fight to stay in the league on merit rather than because it's a closed shop.

Edited by Stanley_

People hating Berwick and wanting shot of them as they dare to not be 100% pure Scottish. 

:facepalm:

I notice a few of them are those that regularly  try to shut down opposing opinion and want every hurdle in their way to world domination banned.

It is a sad day for SCOTTISH football to lose Berwick from the league. I feel for the fans. A completely harmless and inoffensive football club.

26 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I think it's underestimated just how big an achievement Cowdenbeath staying up for 3 consecutive seasons in the Championship was. Quite possibly one of the greatest achievements in Scottish football history.

:notsure:

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

People hating Berwick and wanting shot of them as they dare to not be 100% pure Scottish. 

I notice a few of them are those that regularly  try to shut down opposing opinion and want every hurdle in their way to world domination banned.

It is a sad day for SCOTTISH football to lose Berwick from the league. I feel for the fans. A completely harmless and inoffensive football club.

It us sad but change is good and the new clubs that have joined the league have generally been shown to be more dynamic than the clubs they replaced. 

The Treasurer

The pyramid system is one of the few things that the SPFL have actually got right.

Too many teams have, for years, been happy to shuffle along near the bottom of the ladder, safe in the knowledge they will still be there the following season.

Now there is scope for ambitious clubs to join the league set up, while at the same time, force other clubs to either up their ambitions or face dropping out the league.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Berwick have languished in the bottom 3 of League 2 for many a season.  No ambition, no support, no funds.  With East Stirlingshire gone it generally left Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath to compete against for the drop (and even they have managed a spell in League 1).   Even Edinburgh City have moved into the play-offs.

It is easy to see where the problem lied: 35 goals scored last season and only 27 scored this season (Couldn't even score in the play-off games.) Couple that with conceding 91 goals and with the pyramid now in place, it is goodbye Berwick.  I doubt we will see them in the SPFL again, so the Cross of St George can get removed from the reference sites.

WELCOME COVE RANGERS.

Totally agree, don't have much time for Cove myself, but too long these teams in the 4th tier, or 3rd in the older system have done nothing to improve.

I would shake the system up further that beyond the top 24 teams, the next 4 leagues are regionalised further with much greater access to becoming a top 24 club, if you show ambition, and train young footballers.

Antiquated systems tolerating antiquated clubs, surely must have been to the detriment of Scottish football for quite some time.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Not like you to be contrary eh.

As Dave says, clubs coming in are far more dynamic. Peterhead a very good example of a club and a town that have moved forwards.

Ross  County and ICT for years were denied access simply on geography. Scotland extends around 250 miles 300 north from Berwick, thankfully people know that now.

letsalldothebeattie

I get it’s nice to see new clubs like Edinburgh City & Cove coming into the league set up that’s why the play off system was set up but I’m baffled by some people’s sheer delight at clubs suffering relegation out of the senior set up. Relegation out of the senior set up for some clubs could be the end for them. Berwick have said they can make a right go of it next season because of guaranteed payments but after that it’s anyones guess & with junior sides being added it’s going to make it very difficult for sides being relegated to go straight back up or even say getting up after a second season as well. Just look at Kelty they’ve just added a raft of players from SPFL including Nathan Austin from Inverness to the squad next season. Now when a club in the Lowland has that kind of pull to get a boy from Championship Inverness what hope do others have. 

I like the new pyramid set up and I’m looking forward to seeing how the SPFL is going to shape up in the next 5-10 years but unlike some on here I don’t want to see that change come at a cost of closure to some clubs which may well happen to clubs like Berwick who aren’t funded as well as others in the Lowland are. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

:notsure:

For a club with an average home crowd of a couple of hundred fans, to stay in a professional league for 3 seasons is a remarkable achievement which is unlikely to ever be repeated.

Edited by Martin_T

davemclaren
1 hour ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I get it’s nice to see new clubs like Edinburgh City & Cove coming into the league set up that’s why the play off system was set up but I’m baffled by some people’s sheer delight at clubs suffering relegation out of the senior set up. Relegation out of the senior set up for some clubs could be the end for them. Berwick have said they can make a right go of it next season because of guaranteed payments but after that it’s anyones guess & with junior sides being added it’s going to make it very difficult for sides being relegated to go straight back up or even say getting up after a second season as well. Just look at Kelty they’ve just added a raft of players from SPFL including Nathan Austin from Inverness to the squad next season. Now when a club in the Lowland has that kind of pull to get a boy from Championship Inverness what hope do others have. 

I like the new pyramid set up and I’m looking forward to seeing how the SPFL is going to shape up in the next 5-10 years but unlike some on here I don’t want to see that change come at a cost of closure to some clubs which may well happen to clubs like Berwick who aren’t funded as well as others in the Lowland are. 

So the less well funded teams should be subsidised to survive? I agree that there should be parachute payments but fresh blood in the spfl is generally a good thing imo. 

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, davemclaren said:

So the less well funded teams should be subsidised to survive? I agree that there should be parachute payments but fresh blood in the spfl is generally a good thing imo. 

I’m not saying they should be subsidised to survive. I’m saying when a club like Berwick get relegated and aren’t the best funded club are going into a league where Kelty are able to sign about 5 new players from the championship and league 1 it’s going to make it difficult for them to get back into the league. They can’t just throw money at players like that. I agree the fresh blood into the SPFL is great but I just don’t like how some on here are enjoying seeing a club, who may go out of business in a year if they don’t get back up at first time, going out the league. Consider this could’ve been up 6/7 years ago with a club facing a very uncertain future

Maroon Sailor

I agree with the above. Can't understand a football fan having any delight in the demise of a club that has been part of the Scottish game for years.

I never seen Third Lanark but they are well talked about to this day.

Folk are taking delight because they have been relegated.  It's a bit different than celebrating a club going out of business!  

kirkierobroy

Given that they are based in England I wonder if they'll think about applying for the Northern League. And play against great names like Billington Synthonia and Bedlington Terriers.

On 18/05/2019 at 18:36, Footballfirst said:

Cove had already hit the post before that. The ref got the red card right and after that Berwick barely had any possession.

Berwick were very poor throughout and will have to up their game considerably if they are going to anywhere near the top four in the Lowland League.

Highland League clubs are delighted they feel now Cove are gone they can all start to progress and look to move out and up into the leagues above.

Formartine are throwing money at their team aswell just now. They will be hoping to get up and challenge for promotion as favourites now Cove are away.

Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Folk are taking delight because they have been relegated.  It's a bit different than celebrating a club going out of business!  

Rangers went out of business ......

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Highland League clubs are delighted they feel now Cove are gone they can all start to progress and look to move out and up into the leagues above.

Formartine are throwing money at their team aswell just now. They will be hoping to get up and challenge for promotion as favourites now Cove are away.

Who takes Cove's place ?

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Who takes Cove's place ?

Not sure I didn’t ask that , i’ll go send a message or two see if i can find out.

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Who takes Cove's place ?

No-one

The Highland League is stand-alone with no lower feeder leagues. The North Region Juniors and North Caledonian League decided not to join the pyramid at this time.

Edited by Footballfirst

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

No-one

The Highland League is stand-alone with no lower feeder leagues. The North Region Juniors and North Caledonian League decided not to join the pyramid at this time.

O.K

Odd number of teams then

Fort William will be happy for a free week !

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

No-one

Iv messaged a couple of chairmen to ask but i’d imagine that is correct but the loss of income may hurt some. Coves home attendance is only around 200 , but the short trip for a lot in comparison to say Fort William make things easier on finances

Cove’s promotion may have a knock on effect to Peterhead and Elgin player wise

Edited by sadj

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

O.K

Odd number of teams then

Fort William will be happy for a free week !

Yes. It should be 17 next season unless they get an application from the likes of Banks o' Dee, Culter or other junior side.

As the HL is at tier 5 in the pyramid, then any new applicant would have to be licensed.

kirkierobroy
31 minutes ago, Meadows said:

They did look into it, but I believe the parachute payment is conditional on playing in the lowland league. 

Cheers - thanks for that.

26 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. It should be 17 next season unless they get an application from the likes of Banks o' Dee, Culter or other junior side.

As the HL is at tier 5 in the pyramid, then any new applicant would have to be licensed.

Applications will be asked for but only one team ready with club licensing and that’s banks of Dee 

But they don’t want to come in so might just run with 17 teams

Straight from a Chairmans mouth

BelgeJambo

Can't help thinking, why don't the SFA regionalise the two bottom leagues?  Berwick and the likes of Stranraer and Annan having to make journeys to the likes of Elgin and Peterhead and vice versa must be financially difficult for a semi pro club.  Add in Montrose, Forfar, Arbroath and Brechin, then that is a fair bit of travelling for all concerned clubs.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Can't help thinking, why don't the SFA regionalise the two bottom leagues?  Berwick and the likes of Stranraer and Annan having to make journeys to the likes of Elgin and Peterhead and vice versa must be financially difficult for a semi pro club.  Add in Montrose, Forfar, Arbroath and Brechin, then that is a fair bit of travelling for all concerned clubs.

Quite hard to regionalise in Scotland as most clubs are in the central belt. 

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

For a club with an average home crowd of a couple of hundred fans, to stay in a professional league for 3 seasons is a remarkable achievement which is unlikely to ever be repeated.

Alloa must be close to equally this record?

BelgeJambo
45 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Quite hard to regionalise in Scotland as most clubs are in the central belt. 

North

Peterhead

Elgin

Cove

Arbroath

Forfar

Montrose

Brechin

Raith Rovers

East Fife

Cowdenbeath

South

Clyde

Edinburgh City

Annan

Stirling

Queens Park

Albion

Airdrie

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

Dumbarton

No worse that the way they decide the league cup regionals

But, your probably right Dave - never make everybody happy whatever they produced.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

North

Peterhead

Elgin

Cove

Arbroath

Forfar

Montrose

Brechin

Raith Rovers

East Fife

Cowdenbeath

South

Clyde

Edinburgh City

Annan

Stirling

Queens Park

Albion

Airdrie

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

Dumbarton

But, your probably right Dave - never make everybody happy whatever they produced.

Decent effort actually. ?

Allowayjambo1874
40 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

North

Peterhead

Elgin

Cove

Arbroath

Forfar

Montrose

Brechin

Raith Rovers

East Fife

Cowdenbeath

South

Clyde

Edinburgh City

Annan

Stirling

Queens Park

Albion

Airdrie

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

Dumbarton

That split makes an awful lot of sense, reduced costs and increase in income from more local derbies. Promotion to them could could from playoff with one lowland league v bottom of south and one HL v bottom of north. I’m guessing maybe in a couple of seasons you might end up with lop sided leagues through relegation/promotion from higher leagues.

still be worth a shout 

Randy Marsh
5 hours ago, Martin_T said:

You could argue Alloa have done similar this season.  Both good achievements though.

letsalldothebeattie
4 hours ago, kirkierobroy said:

Given that they are based in England I wonder if they'll think about applying for the Northern League. And play against great names like Billington Synthonia and Bedlington Terriers.

The vice chairman spoke about that on Sky on Friday. Says that if they were to do that and apply and get accepted it would put the club back 100 years. He said the league they would go into would see them travel down as far as like Manchester or Birmingham so would be doing same if not more travelling than what they do currently in league 2. Now they are in Lowland for next season furthest north they travel would be Kelty and furthest west would be East Kilbride 

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

North

Peterhead

Elgin

Cove

Arbroath

Forfar

Montrose

Brechin

Raith Rovers

East Fife

Cowdenbeath

South

Clyde

Edinburgh City

Annan

Stirling

Queens Park

Albion

Airdrie

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

Dumbarton

I could go with that sort of set up.

The top two leagues would be national leagues and predominately full time, with sufficient funding to help make that a reality.

Regionalise at tier 3 as suggested above with most clubs operating on a part time basis.

Tier 4 could be regionalised further with the Highland League, a Lowland League East and a Lowland League West (once the West juniors get their act together), then tier 5 with the remaining top EOS, ERJFA, WRJFA, NRJFA and SoS sides with feeder leagues below that.

Any imbalance with promotions/relegations to a particular region can easily be resolved, but is does mean that some clubs, say Stirling Albion, could be South one season and North the next. The English pyramid does switch teams between conferences for that reason.

Randy Marsh
2 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

North

Peterhead

Elgin

Cove

Arbroath

Forfar

Montrose

Brechin

Raith Rovers

East Fife

Cowdenbeath

South

Clyde

Edinburgh City

Annan

Stirling

Queens Park

Albion

Airdrie

Stenhousemuir

Stranraer

Dumbarton

This is far too much common sense for the SFA/SFL come up with.  I would like to see the SPL and Championship with either 16/18 teams with a regional pyramid system below that.

A lot of people in the game support regional leagues. Below the Championship with revised play off would work. 

7 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

The pyramid system is one of the few things that the SPFL have actually got right.

Too many teams have, for years, been happy to shuffle along near the bottom of the ladder, safe in the knowledge they will still be there the following season.

Now there is scope for ambitious clubs to join the league set up, while at the same time, force other clubs to either up their ambitions or face dropping out the league.

Ambitious clubs from the East Juniors did join and have been shat on by the sfa who changed the rules for them with hours to go before they were audited.A great system if applied fairly, ask Bonnyrigg Rose

Edited by systemx

9 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not like you to be contrary eh.

As Dave says, clubs coming in are far more dynamic. Peterhead a very good example of a club and a town that have moved forwards.

Ross  County and ICT for years were denied access simply on geography. Scotland extends around 250 miles 300 north from Berwick, thankfully people know that now.

Going back further Gala Fairydean were always refused entry due to travel.

All these northern teams are a much further trek.

Had Gala been allowed then the likes of John Collins could have joined us as there was a good connection with them.

Maroon Sailor
49 minutes ago, jambosdad said:

Going back further Gala Fairydean were always refused entry due to travel.

All these northern teams are a much further trek.

Had Gala been allowed then the likes of John Collins could have joined us as there was a good connection with them.

If there was a good connection what does it matter if Gala were in the league or not ?

Edited by Maroon Sailor