Berwick Rangers

Nucky Thompson

Went quite a lot when Davie Moyes was captain and Pogo Smith was knocking in the goals.Dave Smith was a decent manager as well ,always put our drinks in the Black and Gold club on his tab and got away with it!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nucky Thompson

• sadj

• letsalldothebeattie

• Jambo-Fox

On 11/05/2019 at 13:35, Jambo-Fox said:

My reference was to the Berwick Rangers goalkeeper that played in a famous cup tie in a Berwick victory, I’m sure they played Hibs in the next round .......

...... he was Jock Wallace ...... lived in Wallyford just up from the Levenhall roundabout!

Hibs beat them 1-0 at ER

4 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Hibs beat them 1-0 at ER

Unfortunately..... I’m sure the legendary Jock Wallace saved a penalty!

The Old Tolbooth

Berwick Rangers used to have a reserve team in the Lowland League (old East of Scotland League at the time) many years ago, it's sad to think that their first team could now be plying their trade in that league, if they manage to survive financially. A few players from Gala went along to play for Berwick in the 80s, there was always a great rivalry between the Fairydean and them, fingers crossed they manage to survive. 

5 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Unfortunately..... I’m sure the legendary Jock Wallace saved a penalty!

Youre right!  I was there with my old dad to cheer on the wee Rangers!

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Berwick Rangers used to have a reserve team in the Lowland League (old East of Scotland League at the time) many years ago, it's sad to think that their first team could now be plying their trade in that league, if they manage to survive financially. A few players from Gala went along to play for Berwick in the 80s, there was always a great rivalry between the Fairydean and them, fingers crossed they manage to survive. 

JJ started his management career there

Auld Reekin'
19 hours ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

Which restaurant is that?  I'm going to be there in July - would be useful to know.

Audela, in Bridge St.. Also in same street are two of the best pubs: Barrels and The Curfew micro pub - both excellent.

Tasavallan
4 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

My lad trained with them over the Xmas period, as their assistant coach was the former Livingston youth academy coach.  The Reserves were made up of mostly youth players.  The seniors trained at Haddington as most of the squad came from Fife & Lothians area.

No real surprise as BR have not scored a goal since 19 March.  Brownlie will be gone sooner rather than later.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
On 13/05/2019 at 16:40, Auld Reekin' said:

Audela, in Bridge St.. Also in same street are two of the best pubs: Barrels and The Curfew micro pub - both excellent.

Thanks for that.  I'll try them all.  Probably on the same night. ?

Maroon Sailor

I remember going down to Berwick on a double decker Hearts supporters bus but had to stop due to a low bridge. The hassle to turn that bus around and find another route.  Got there in the end and was worth it to see a 3-1 win with Derek O'Connor getting a hat-trick

On 13/05/2019 at 15:51, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Hibs beat them 1-0 at ER

Pretty sure that was in the brief George Best time and there was a crowd well in excess of 30,000.

Knocking out rangers was superb.  Remember it well.

letsalldothebeattie
On 13/05/2019 at 17:46, sadj said:

A poster on here suggested its all because they binned Colin Cameron.

Hard to argue with that really. Were playing  some of the best football they have in a while under Cameron. Got them to the quarter finals of the Scottish cup and binned him because they hit a bit of a dip in form under him. Many could see this coming back then. 

On 13/05/2019 at 13:05, The Old Tolbooth said:

I used to train with earlston rhymers in the late 80s, we were in the borders amateur second division at the time. A couple of our players ended up at berwick at the end of the season. 1 of then, Gordon ainslie I think his name was, ended up with berwick for a couple of seasons.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Pretty sure that was in the brief George Best time and there was a crowd well in excess of 30,000.

The post is about 1967, Georgie boy was playing a lot better standard then. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Way before (by several years) George Best went there  - I think the crowd was 20,000++ but not as high as 30, I think most folks were there to see Jock Wallace and ........ another cup upset .... “the Hibs are oot”, if only ....

The Old Tolbooth
12 hours ago, superjack said:

I used to train with earlston rhymers in the late 80s, we were in the borders amateur second division at the time. A couple of our players ended up at berwick at the end of the season. 1 of then, Gordon ainslie I think his name was, ended up with berwick for a couple of seasons.

I knew one or two Gala lads who played for the Rhymers mate, there was big rivalry between borders clubs in those days. 

Nucky Thompson

I'm going to head along to Shielfield today as I'm down at my caravan at Haggerston.

I hope Berwick can make a game of it

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm going to head along to Shielfield today as I'm down at my caravan at Haggerston.

I hope Berwick can make a game of it

Should stay for the Speedway after it 

York Ninja
On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:40, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

JJ started his management career there

Actually he started his management career at Lauder Amatuers.  He then went to Hawick RA, Gala Fairydean then Berwick.  Berwick was owned by the Lauder mafia at that time.  Butcher George Deans was the chairman and JJ manager.

Nucky Thompson
15 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Should stay for the Speedway after it 

There's also a motorbike rally being held in the main car park today so parking is reduced by 75%

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There's also a motorbike rally being held in the main car park today so parking is reduced by 75%

I usually just park out on the street before you turn into Shielfield when I go, but then again that might be restricted because of the rally

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:49, RobbofordGHC said:

Any team that can inflict this much hurt on the Rangers deserves some sympathy 

image.jpeg.b63be6501c5ee5d083a3c882cbcea344.jpeg

Too funny, my dads cousin played in that game. Had a few good trips down there in the 70's and 80's be sad to see them relegated.

On 15/05/2019 at 09:25, The Old Tolbooth said:

I knew one or two Gala lads who played for the Rhymers mate, there was big rivalry between borders clubs in those days. 

There were another 2 when I was there, Brock and mon-go. Obviously nicknames, not sure of real names.

Edited by superjack

6 hours ago, York Ninja said:

Actually he started his management career at Lauder Amatuers.  He then went to Hawick RA, Gala Fairydean then Berwick.  Berwick was owned by the Lauder mafia at that time.  Butcher George Deans was the chairman and JJ manager.

Berwick was his first full time job in football management

Bazzas right boot

Maybe they can leave Scottish football and join the Epl gravy train. 

Berwick Rangers. 

FA Cup winners 2032.

Buying celtic players  for £25m to boost their European bid. 

35000 all seater at a mere £300m cost.

John Findlay
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 19:52, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember going down to Berwick on a double decker Hearts supporters bus but had to stop due to a low bridge. The hassle to turn that bus around and find another route.  Got there in the end and was worth it to see a 3-1 win with Derek O'Connor getting a hat-trick

I was at that game. Went on the SCAB Hearts supporters bus.

31 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

When you think Dingwall has a population of 5500 and Berwick 12,000. 

Never that simple though is it? Dingwall isn't big, but a lot of County fans come from similar sized towns in the area, Invergordon, Alness, Connon/Maryburgh etc. The catchment for County is a lot bigger than 5500. 

Nucky Thompson

Berwick were really poor today and Cove totally outplayed them, but if you think the officials in the top divisions are poor,  the lower league ones take the biscuit.

For Coves first goal, it looked to everyone in the ground except the linesman that the Berwick player had hooked the ball of the goal line. The Cove players didn't even appeal for a goal, but the linesman who was in line with the 18 yard box gave it :berra:

There is no way he could have been sure that the ball crossed the line.

There was no way back for Berwick after that

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Did the 4 goal aggregate deficit before that, not make a difference?

:lol:

Aye but it killed off any small chance of a comeback :D

Berwick missed a good chance right before the first goal but overall they were really pish

Footballfirst
34 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye but it killed off any small chance of a comeback :D

Berwick missed a good chance right before the first goal but overall they were really pish

Cove had already hit the post before that. The ref got the red card right and after that Berwick barely had any possession.

Berwick were very poor throughout and will have to up their game considerably if they are going to anywhere near the top four in the Lowland League.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Cove had already hit the post before that. The ref got the red card right and after that Berwick barely had any possession.

Berwick were very poor throughout and will have to up their game considerably if they are going to anywhere near the top four in the Lowland League.

Totally agree. Berwick have been mismanaged for a few years now and need new investment.

Decent crowd there today. It's the first time I've had to queue up to get into Shielfield except when I've followed Hearts there

Tasavallan
11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Like East Stirlingshire before them, Berwick will float around the middle of the Lowland League.  'New' clubs like Kelty Hearts and East Kilbride have impetuous to progress, Berwick do not and only existed with the financial handouts of the SFA/SPFL. 

Big Slim Stylee
On 14/05/2019 at 14:58, Kiwidoug said:

My Uncle was the manager before Wallace took over.

Remember all the help Gretna got like playing their home games at Motherwell yet Bonnyrigg Rose get treated like crap because it’s teams like Berwick Rangers that run the SFA and it’s all about self preservation. 

17 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Cheerio Berwick 

Tin pot English shit. 

That’s a bit strong no need for that.

On 12/05/2019 at 23:20, systemx said:

Went quite a lot when Davie Moyes was captain and Pogo Smith was knocking in the goals.Dave Smith was a decent manager as well ,always put our drinks in the Black and Gold club on his tab and got away with it!

Pogo Smith what a legend.

Inch Hearts
11 hours ago, mitch41 said:

That’s a bit strong no need for that.

True.  Too much drinking ?

letsalldothebeattie

Bit on sky sports on Friday speaking to those around the club reckon they will be able to have a good go in the lowland to get promoted for 1 year because of finances with entering the cups at same level and parachute payments. Will be interesting to see if they don’t go up if they will go out of business or if they will have to strip the club back further 

Tommy Brown
36 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Bit on sky sports on Friday speaking to those around the club reckon they will be able to have a good go in the lowland to get promoted for 1 year because of finances with entering the cups at same level and parachute payments. Will be interesting to see if they don’t go up if they will go out of business or if they will have to strip the club back further 

East Kilbride ran away with the league this year, then got well horsed by Cove in the play off.

Kelty had a decent start, but their manager left and Wee Bazza and bon Malcolm FTP took over. Been poor since.

Spartans & BSC are strong steady campaigners.

It will be tough for Berwick. Tough for them with such a long history. Great town, but shit ground.

Any team that fires my hero, the legend that is Colin Cameron, can quite frankly do one. Deserve everything they get. 

letsalldothebeattie
47 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

East Kilbride ran away with the league this year, then got well horsed by Cove in the play off.

Kelty had a decent start, but their manager left and Wee Bazza and bon Malcolm FTP took over. Been poor since.

Spartans & BSC are strong steady campaigners.

It will be tough for Berwick. Tough for them with such a long history. Great town, but shit ground.

Absolutely I think they will struggle as well it’s a tough league lucky it didn’t get tougher with Bonnyrigg not being allowed to get promoted into the league. 

I love the ground but probably because I go to the speedway as well 

Gonna be extremely difficult for them not to go under,  gutted for them as i know a few of the boys that play for them 

2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

True.  Too much drinking ?

That’s always my excuse. Are you me in disguise.