Djoum - AFCON

itsnomarooned

Inch Hearts
20 minutes ago, itsnomarooned said:

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/djoum-one-step-closer-to-afcon

My recollection the last time was that he was good for us and had a great tournament, and returned pish. Here's hoping Cameroon get pumped and he returns an absolute world beater.

Or something .............

Why would he be returning?  Even if he does there’s absolutely no chance he will sign a new contract before shop windowing himself over the summer.  We will be the back up plan and it doesn’t sit easy with me. 

Inch Hearts
15 minutes ago, Braminho said:

Waste of a jersey, lazy *****......get rid

Not played to his strengths. 

12 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

You right, he doesn’t want to be here tho and you can tell that a mile off with  his attitude 

Cruyff Turn

Still better than any of our other midfielders by a distance.

Won’t be here next season anyway. All the best to him.

8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Still better than any of our other midfielders by a distance.

Won’t be here next season anyway. All the best to him.

Agree with this 100%

He won’t be here by the looks of it and only then will people see what he brings to the team.

He’s incredibly hot and cold but he never hides, isn’t scared to get stuck in and tries to play football.

Wish him nothing but good things if/when he’s away.

30 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

His strengths are in the slower pace of international football. 

8 minutes ago, Squirt said:

Agree with this 100%

He won’t be here by the looks of it and only then will people see what he brings to the team.

He’s incredibly hot and cold but he never hides, isn’t scared to get stuck in and tries to play football.

Wish him nothing but good things if/when he’s away.

Totally agree with this

Mr Elwood P

Clarence Seedorf rates him, a number of Hearts fans don't. Which opinion to give more weight to, tricky one.

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Clarence Seedorf rates him, a number of Hearts fans don't. Which opinion to give more weight to, tricky one.

Yeah.

But Clarence is picking him to play a central role similar to Charlie Adam not to drive forward attacks. 

And he is picking him for Cameroon. If Clarence Seedorf was managing Hearts in Scotland he would be looking for different players. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah.

But Clarence is picking him to play a central role similar to Charlie Adam not to drive forward attacks. 

And he is picking him for Cameroon. If Clarence Seedorf was managing Hearts in Scotland he would be looking for different players

He'd have him as one of the first names on the team sheet just as the current gaffer does.

Geoff the Mince

A frustrating player as he has obvious talent , my problem has been big games when he needs to step up 

He goes missing .

Would of been good to see him in a proper midfield .

BelgeJambo

He will excel under a manager who has a game plan most weeks

We are almost at the point were half the team are not allowed to cross the halfway line

A number 10 is a luxury Levein won’t deploy unless Naismith is available 

Im not surprised A very underrated player here imo. I believe His best position is holding central midfield . How often have we played him in that role? I don’t think very often. 

rick witter

I don’t rate Djoum in terms of attitude and effort but his ability has never been in question. 

He is the best of an extremely poor Hearts midfield. 

1 hour ago, itsnomarooned said:

My recollection the last time was that he was good for us and had a great tournament, and returned pish.

An oft-perpetuated myth. It is true that he was poor for the remainder of the season after winning the AFCON. But every single player was absolutely garbage during the Cathro era. He has been very good for us for the majority of his spell with us, that period apart, along with some times when he’s been coming back from injury.

He was at his best before the AFCON. It coincided with him being played in his best position for us - in an attacking midfield role. 

21 minutes ago, Bighenry said:

Im not surprised A very underrated player here imo. I believe His best position is holding central midfield . How often have we played him in that role? I don’t think very often. 

I’m the opposite! Too often played in a deep, holding role, in my opinion. Much better further forward. 

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

I don’t rate Djoum in terms of attitude and effort but his ability has never been in question. 

Each to their own, but I really struggle with the common accusation of lack of effort. On what is that based? I just don’t see it. And for all his faults, I don’t buy the theory Levein would continually pick someone who didn’t put in the right effort and have the right attitude. Multiple examples to suggest he would not put up with it. 

30 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I’m the opposite! Too often played in a deep, holding role, in my opinion. Much better further forward. 

A few of my mates think the same as you peebo. I don’t think he has enough goals, turn of pace or killer passes for that role personally. But I do think he works hard, makes good tackles and has good positional awareness. And I believe he’s a good ,hard working  player unlike a few hearts fans I know too. 

1 minute ago, Bighenry said:

A few of my mates think the same as you peebo. I don’t think he has enough goals, turn of pace or killer passes for that role personally. But I do think he works hard, makes good tackles and has good positional awareness. And I believe he’s a good ,hard working  player unlike a few hearts fans I know too. 

His shooting has generally been gash over last season or so. But when he played further forward (eg behind Juanma), he regularly weighed in with goals. Also good at unlocking defences and deceptively skillful. Don’t see much of that from him now. 

3 hours ago, Bighenry said:

Putting aside he cant pass, is slow, doesn't create or score...does a holding midfielder not need to be able to tackle?

stevieboobs
18 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Putting aside he cant pass, is slow, doesn't create or score...does a holding midfielder not need to be able to tackle?

Not in our current set up. Ideal player! 

pettigrewsstylist

Cant wait to see his wages spent on someone who can actually influence the outcome of a game in Scotland.

Clearly too good for this level!!!

lost in space

Can someone tell me what his abilities are. I have been watching for years and don't see many/any.

He isn't mobile. He doesn't have pace. He is not a leader.

He does not have a great first touch. He is not a great passer of the ball (well not forwards anyway). He is not great (but compitant defensively) in the air. He does not support forwards and does not burst into the box. He does not score goals from midfield. He does not take free kicks or corners.

He is a horrendous tackler who has not been sent off regularly because he actually misses tackles.

Oh, yes, he has good upper body strength and can wrestle players - doesn't make him a footballer though.

PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT HE DOES!!!!

Edited by lost in space
Adding content

12 hours ago, Peebo said:

Each to their own, but I really struggle with the common accusation of lack of effort. On what is that based? I just don’t see it. And for all his faults, I don’t buy the theory Levein would continually pick someone who didn’t put in the right effort and have the right attitude. Multiple examples to suggest he would not put up with it. 

Sean Clare!

17 minutes ago, Jambomb said:

Sean Clare!

I just think Clare is shite. I don’t think he’s not trying. 

gashauskis9

Levein still trying to sort a deal out for Djoum according to EEN.  Happy with that, my only concern is that Levein is not actively looking to sign a midfielder until this is resolved.  If he thinks we only need one midfielder in the summer then I fear for us next season.  

Wish he would just confirm his exit.

Cant pass, cant tackle, doesn't score or create, slow and covers little ground on pitch...

I think his self belief is about his only quality when he talks in papers about how going to go onto bigger and better things (good luck with that djoum)...

Unfortunately does not translate into anything close to good performances on the pitch.

kingantti1874
On 10/05/2019 at 18:43, rick witter said:

He is the best of an extremely poor Hearts midfield. 

Pretty much this.. barring contract renewal time he’s at 70%. 

It should have been ten
On 11/05/2019 at 00:43, lost in space said:

Can someone tell me what his abilities are. I have been watching for years and don't see many/any.

He isn't mobile. He doesn't have pace. He is not a leader.

He does not have a great first touch. He is not a great passer of the ball (well not forwards anyway). He is not great (but compitant defensively) in the air. He does not support forwards and does not burst into the box. He does not score goals from midfield. He does not take free kicks or corners.

He is a horrendous tackler who has not been sent off regularly because he actually misses tackles.

Oh, yes, he has good upper body strength and can wrestle players - doesn't make him a footballer though.

PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT HE DOES!!!!

4 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Wish he would just confirm his exit.

Cant pass, cant tackle, doesn't score or create, slow and covers little ground on pitch...

I think his self belief is about his only quality when he talks in papers about how going to go onto bigger and better things (good luck with that djoum)...

Unfortunately does not translate into anything close to good performances on the pitch.

:spoton:

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, kila said:

Djoum worth money even though he can be very frustrating.

FTFY

worth punting if his country get far/good PR in AFON 

Valois No1

Levein saying we may not sign a new midfielder if djoum stays. I actually think this is terrible news as we have the most static midfield in the league. All these new contracts being dished out to players that are taking us down the way at the rate of knots. It’s gross negligence and Levein has cost this club millions. Let Djoum go and get a new midfielder in.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Levein saying we may not sign a new midfielder if djoum stays. I actually think this is terrible news as we have the most static midfield in the league. All these new contracts being dished out to players that are taking us down the way at the rate of knots. It’s gross negligence and Levein has cost this club millions. Let Djoum go and get a new midfielder in.

Yep, we need more inconsistent wingers to fire crosses into a Big Man Up Front. 

Retro Football. 

6 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Actually getting just a bit fed up with Djoum. Get the feeling that he is just hanging about here waiting to see if a better offer comes in than what he has been offered by us. He’s a good player when he is motivated,  but that’s not happened too often recently. 

39 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Levein still trying to sort a deal out for Djoum according to EEN.  Happy with that, my only concern is that Levein is not actively looking to sign a midfielder until this is resolved.  If he thinks we only need one midfielder in the summer then I fear for us next season.  

Exactly.. And confirms the reason why a large number of supporters have no faith in the management. If the coaching staff think our midfield as it is just now is fine then tells me all I need to know. Even with Djoum staying we would only have him, Haring and Cochrane of any real ability. Naismith can play the number 10 but we are still lacking real quality midfielders in my opinion

12 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

I love Djoum but I have to agree. I would take the risk to the gamble his wage on getting a different type of midfielder. More attacking and bigger presence to drive the team on. 

In an ideal world I would have both. Djoum and attacking midfielder. 

Bunny Munro

I think there is little chance CL is telling the truth here.

He's trying to put pressure on Djoum to sign up before the AFCON incase his stock rises. We'll be looking to sign a new creative midfielder regardless. I'm almost sure of it.

Inch Hearts

He’s not going to sign anything until after the summer when he shop windows himself.  We will be sloppy seconds if he can’t get another gig. So don’t expect any announcement either way until after the ACON. 

Heartsofgold
39 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

FTFY

worth punting if his country get far/good PR in AFON 

You do realise he’s a free agent in the summer and we will get nothing for him if he moves???

highlandjambo3
Just now, Heartsofgold said:

You do realise he’s a free agent in the summer and we will get nothing for him if he moves???

DAM...... I knew there was a flaw in my plan (again) ?

Portable Badger
On 10/05/2019 at 18:44, Peebo said:

I concur but my absolute frustration with him was that we would get into some fantastic positions in front of goal but always needed too many touches and couldn't shoot to save his life. He always side-foots his shots and not take a 'first time laces through the ball' shot.  He could've contributed so many more goals I feel.

On 10/05/2019 at 16:56, itsnomarooned said:

My recollection the last time was that he was good for us and had a great tournament, and returned pish. Here's hoping Cameroon get pumped and he returns an absolute world beater.

Or something .............

His selection puts him in the window. Probably play a blinder, move to France and we sign a better midfielder.