Ryan McGowan

Hampden Demolition

A_A wehatethehibs

Slots in OK to Aaron Hughes’s place in the squad. Can fill in anywhere across the back 4. Always handy to have a utility man. If it’s not him we’ll be signing some other guy to be the back up / utility man to fill in when needed, why not give a club legend in that place in the squad. 

He might be keen to get more games somewhere so it could be championship for Gowser. Good luck to him 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Darren

• The Internet

• Hampden Demolition

Certainly won't be overwhelmed if he returns and doubt there is a remote chance it will happen.

Gowser plays with urgency, vitality, spirit and appears to enjoy his football...Craig's the man to drive that out of him. 

ford donald
42 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Certainly won't be overwhelmed if he returns and doubt there is a remote chance it will happen.

Australia bound,I have heard.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Could do a job up front, potentially. Probably more effective than Wighton!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just watching Sky.

Jamie Ness Lewis Macleod Paul Caddis Lionel Ainsworth and Mark O'Hara all released 30 June 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

In place of Hughes/Shaughnessy? Yes. Atleast McGowan gives a shit about the club too, same can’t be said for others.

Shaughnessy is a good bit better. Bar the game against Dundee very steady. 

adayinmay

Yes. 

As a squad player he'd be fantastic back up and inspiration for every player young and old. Yes!

If he likes losing, playing punt and chase, playing in a library and getting injured then he should come back.

29 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Probably better than what we have so why not 

Is the question 'What is my Granny'?

1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

He's not.

Hearts1975
11 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Would he improve us? No 

Good lad and a past great player? Yes 

Exactly this 

The Internet
6 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Love to hear the thought process behind this post. 

I'd usually say naw. But maybe Hearts brings the best out of him. 

FFS! He's only 29.

Edited by ri Alban

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'd usually say naw. But maybe Hearts brings the best out of him. 

FFS! He's only 29.

I’d have him back. He knows what is required here, loves the club and can cover  a few position. A very handy guy to have about. 

Hampden Demolition

He’s better than Hughes and that should be enough! In all seriousness, I think we could do worse than bringing him in as cover. As I said the in the earlier post, I appreciate he wouldn’t be a starter every week but would provide us with decent cover at CB or at RB (I would have him ahead of Brandon and Godinho).

Super_Hans
11 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Just watching Sky.

Jamie Ness Lewis Macleod Paul Caddis Lionel Ainsworth and Mark O'Hara all released 30 June 

McLeod is an interesting one. Very talented player. Started the season well but injury struck again. Probably the reason he's being released. Great signing if he stays fit. 

17649019.JPG

If all of our players could play with just 10% of the emotion, and love of the Club, that Ryan McGowan had, we'd be very very lucky, and have a team willing to die for each other.

I'd take him back in a heatbeat :wub: 

Edited by tian447

Not as good a CB as Berra, Souttar and Halkett

Not as good an RB as Smith.

So no thanks. 

Thommo414
1 minute ago, Homme said:

Not as good a CB as Berra, Souttar and Halkett

Not as good an RB as Smith.

So no thanks. 

With our injury problems, maybe for rb though. Smiths bound to take an injury next season and I wouldn't be surprised to see Godinho or Brandon in the same situation 

HighTimes
12 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Just watching Sky.

If McLeod has got over his injury problems, he's the sort of player we could use.

Sort of character we're missing in the dressing room

If we give Hughes all these playing extensions when the caravan he is towing is on fire, I don't see why McGowan is worse than that

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Royal Jambo said:

McLeod is an interesting one. Very talented player. Started the season well but injury struck again. Probably the reason he's being released. Great signing if he stays fit. 

43 games in 4 years, not a great track record. Gamble for whoever takes him

Gorgieshed

Not for me.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I don't think he was that good a player. He certainly gave us some great memories and is a genuinely great guy and hard worker. However I do feel that we had the best of his career previously and he managed to punch above his weight in many games for us.

We need to progress and I think it would be a backwards step.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, kila said:

Sort of character we're missing in the dressing room

If we give Hughes all these playing extensions when the caravan he is towing is on fire, I don't see why McGowan is worse than that

Hughes has played over 100 internationals and many a high profile European match let alone his Premier League experience. Aaron was not kept on for his depth to the squad but for his knowledge

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Hughes has played over 100 internationals and many a high profile European match let alone his Premier League experience. Aaron was not kept on for his depth to the squad but for his knowledge

The way this season has gone, I doubt there's been any real benefit to the squad from Hughes 'experience'. Shaughnessy as awful as he was when he joined. Souttar has learned from Berra and Levein.

McGowan hates the Hibs, scored in a cup winning final and is a fun character in general. I think what Hearts lack at the moment is the players enjoying themselves - there is so little enthusiasm on the park at times. Not saying I think McGowan should join the squad for real though.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, kila said:

The way this season has gone, I doubt there's been any real benefit to the squad from Hughes 'experience'. Shaughnessy as awful as he was when he joined. Souttar has learned from Berra and Levein.

McGowan hates the Hibs, scored in a cup winning final and is a fun character in general. I think what Hearts lack at the moment is the players enjoying themselves - there is so little enthusiasm on the park at times. Not saying I think McGowan should join the squad for real though.

I really disagree on Shaughnessy. No superstar but other than the Dundee match I think he has done ok.

Thing is we cant possibly know how good Hughes has been, pretty sure he will have been around players that are in their teenage years as well.

The real question is how much does Hughes take out of the budget.

rudi must stay

No I wouldn't take him

That ship has sailed as a player, as a coach one day possibly as I think he speaks well about the game

35 minutes ago, kila said:

“The gaffer has been great for me in terms of playing me and giving me lots of opportunities. I’ve also learned so much from playing alongside Christophe Berra. When he first came in I played that whole season in a back three alongside him and Aaron Hughes. That was amazing for my development. The gaffer was a centre-half as well and I am still learning from him as well, so it’s good.”

- John Souttar

7 minutes ago, Darren said:

“The gaffer has been great for me in terms of playing me and giving me lots of opportunities. I’ve also learned so much from playing alongside Christophe Berra. When he first came in I played that whole season in a back three alongside him and Aaron Hughes. That was amazing for my development. The gaffer was a centre-half as well and I am still learning from him as well, so it’s good.”

- John Souttar

He singles out Berra, then just mentions Hughes because he was part of a back 3... and that was last season when Hughes was still capable of playing was it not? No mention of what Hughes does behind the scenes if anything this season.

japanjambo

He's been awful anytime i've seen him playing for Dundee this season. Love the guy to bits, but it's a no from me.

N Lincs Jambo

Just been looking at his Wiki page. He turns 30 in August so definitely not past it, however it seems that the best part of his career was between 2011 and 2014 with highlights being the 5-1, the WC in Brazil and scoring the winning goal in the Chinese cup final. Since then nothing of note and while he may have earned good coin out China and the UAE he’s probably been playing in a generally lower standard of football than when he was with us.

If we were to sign him I could only see it as being cover for Michael Smith and if called on he would do a job. Probably the biggest contribution he would make though would be behind the scenes as nobody denies that he totally gets Hearts, hates Hibs and for that alone I don’t think it would be a bad move. As with any player, if we sign him I’ll support him.

Jamboelite

Has someone mentioned we should get Zeefuik back as well.

Ffs its been 7 years since he left  he is a cult hero and he earned it but lets move away from ex players.

2 hours ago, kila said:

He singles out Berra, then just mentions Hughes because he was part of a back 3... and that was last season when Hughes was still capable of playing was it not? No mention of what Hughes does behind the scenes if anything this season.

It was the first quote I found, I'm fairly certain I've read several others talking about his influence on the squad.

• 2 weeks later...
grumpyespana
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 00:42, 1874Gorgie1874 said:

No chance. He’s not the same player he used to be. 

I would rather see us playing the youngsters than sign a player who is past his best.

OmiyaHearts

So both teams Ryan played for this season got relegated? He must be over the moon that the season is done.

maroonshrew

With Halkett coming in, we now have Berra, Souttar, Halkett, Dikamona and Smith who can all play at centre half, as well as any youths in an emergency. 

Bearing in mind we have a limited number of players we can bring in, with our budget, I think another centre half would be a waste of resources unless we lose Souttar. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Signed for Sydney FC on a two-year contract.

Good luck to the big man. Legend. 

Will give me a modest interest in Oz football following his progress.

Might even go to watch him in Welly unless it's another hideous 7.30 PM Sunday night kick off in the pissing rain.

On 07/05/2019 at 17:08, Hampden Demolition said:

I see he’s been released from Bradford. Would you take him back here? Was a dependable player when he was here the first time, knows the club and what it means to play for Hearts. Would be happy if he was brought back as another option.

No.