Pyramid play-offs

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Cove secured a play-off against Berwick for a place in the SPFL after beating East Kilbride 3-0 (5-1 on agg). They must have a decent chance the way that Berwick have ended the season.

I went to Broxburn, to watch the final round of the EoS conference play-offs, where the home side hosted Bonnyrigg, with all three sides (including Penicuik) still with a chance of winning the league and a promotion to the Lowland League (subject to licensing).

What a great advert for the league and the play-off format.  The quality of the football wasn't always there, but the emotional rollercoaster for all three teams was evident throughout. Bonnyrigg started the better without threatening to score, but had their keeper sent off for handling the ball outside his box after half an hour.  The goal scoring started immediately thereafter.

While it remained goalless it was advantage Bonnyrigg then, as each goal went in,  it was Penicuik (at 1-0), then Broxburn (at 2-0), back to Penicuik (at 2-1) then finally back where it started with Bonnyrigg (at 2-2). Even the injury time winner came from a Broxburn set piece as they sent everyone forward, including the keeper, in search of a goal, leaving no-one back to defend the empty goal when Bonnyrigg cleared the ball and were able to break up the park and score the winning goal (2-3).

Today was an incredible comeback with 9 and a half men as Alan Horne was effectively a passenger after getting injured shortly after Bonnyrigg had committed all three substitutes.   Robbie Horn, the Bonnyrigg manager, was also sent off in what became a frenetic second half.

Well done to Bonnyrigg. They've been the strongest side throughout the season and deserve to be the champions.  

Edited by Footballfirst

tolcross lad

Very good report.The commitment and fighting qualities of the Bonnyrigg players and management team was quite incredible.Hearts could do with an injection of some of it.

14:30 Bonnyrigg going up
15:04 Penicuik going up
15:10 Broxburn going up
15:53 Penicuik going up
16:10 Bonnyrigg going up

In fact NONE of them will go up until the SFA get their finger out and grant licences!

What was the crowd? I heard it was over 1000 at the Penicuik v Bonnyrigg match midweek

tolcross lad
3 minutes ago, RobboM said:

14:30 Bonnyrigg going up
15:04 Penicuik going up
15:10 Broxburn going up
15:53 Penicuik going up
16:10 Bonnyrigg going up

In fact NONE of them will go up until the SFA get their finger out and grant licences!

What was the crowd? I heard it was over 1000 at the Penicuik v Bonnyrigg match midweek

Just over a thousand at Bonnyrigg last Wed.

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

When do all the playoffs get played?

Cove v Berwick games are played on the next two Saturdays.

The other SPFL playoffs start on Tuesday.

Edited by Footballfirst

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Cove v Berwick games are played on the next two Saturdays.

The other SPFL playoffs start on Tuesday.

Thanks. 

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I would guess maybe 550-600 today.

If Berwick go down, what’s league will they play in with being from England? 

Im not familiar with the lower/Junior leagues, I thought it was all regional based? Could they find themselves back in English football? 

14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

When do all the playoffs get played?

Nb no need for a play off between East of Scotland champions and South of Scotland champions for the Lowland League place as Stranraer Reserves are not eligible to go up ?

davemclaren
Just now, RobboM said:

Nb no need for a play off between East of Scotland champions and South of Scotland champions for the Lowland League place as Stranraer Reserves are not eligible to go up ?

Down to SFA licensing then. 

Just now, Mooth11 said:

If Berwick go down, what’s league will they play in with being from England? 

Im not familiar with the lower/Junior leagues, I thought it was all regional based? Could they find themselves back in English football? 

Lowland League

9 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Pyramids? I sphinx it's a great idea.

Pharaoh Nuff.

Just now, davemclaren said:

Down to SFA licensing then. 

Yes and don't hold your breath! It was due to be settled at the SFA board meeting in February and postponed. Then pushed back to April when they sacked McLeish and it was postponed again and, as of a meeting 10 days ago with the East of Scotland League clubs, they were not prepared to give any indication when the licence would be granted. The clubs have paid their money, the inspections have all been done, the Licensing sub group have made their recommendations and the SFA board are sitting on their thumbs.

copa-mundial

Haven't cove always said it makes more sense for them to stay in the highland league, as the travel is closer and far cheaper? Or has this changed since the clubs were given more funding from this pyramid system?

steven_mck

What are the dates for 3rd vs 4th Championship teams and Championship team vs 2nd bottom PL team?

Footballfirst
42 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

Haven't cove always said it makes more sense for them to stay in the highland league, as the travel is closer and far cheaper? Or has this changed since the clubs were given more funding from this pyramid system?

It was Brora who didn't want promoted to League 2 for financial reasons, then allegedly threw their play off against Montrose a few years ago.

Footballfirst
34 minutes ago, steven_mck said:

What are the dates for 3rd vs 4th Championship teams and Championship team vs 2nd bottom PL team?

LADBROKES PREMIERSHIP PLAY-OFFS

Tuesday May 7, 2019
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg 
4th in Championship v 3rd in Championship

Saturday May 11, 2019
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg
3rd in Championship v 4th in Championship

Tuesday May 14, 2019
Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg 
3rd or 4th in Championship v 2nd in Championship (Dundee United)
Live on BT Sport, kick-off 7.45pm

Friday May 17, 2019
Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
2nd in Championship (Dundee United) v 3rd or 4th in Championship

Thursday May 23, 2019
Premiership play-off final, 1st leg 
2nd or 3rd or 4th in Championship v 11th in Premiership

Sunday May 26, 2019
Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg
11th in Premiership v 2nd or 3rd or 4th in Championship
Live on BT Sport, kick-off 3.00pm

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I would guess maybe 550-600 today.

My estimate was way out, or maybe there was a couple of hundred hiding away in hospitality.

BroxburnAthleticFC @BroxburnAthFC

Thank you, to the 956 spectators who came to the Albyn Park today. Sure you'll agree it was worth the admission money for tense exciting football. That attendance totalled for the three play off games as 2505. let's hope we can keep them coming in future. @EastScotlandFA

Edited by Footballfirst

copa-mundial
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It was Brora who didn't want promoted to League 2 for financial reasons, then allegedly threw their play off against Montrose a few years ago.

Indeed it was. Cheers for the correction.

Facepalm for me ?

18 minutes ago, kila said:

Bonnyrigg Rose been denied SFA license for promotion due to lack of floodlights that they were crowdfunding to install in the summer:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/bonnyrigg-rose-denied-promotion-to-lowland-league-as-bid-for-sfa-licence-is-rejected-1-4922594

As much as I am unsurprised by the SFA here and smacks of the shambles we had years ago with 10,000 seater stadia etc, surely Bonnyrigg must have known this and could have used some of their windfall from the Hibs game to put in floodlights?

3 minutes ago, Shrekeo said:

As much as I am unsurprised by the SFA here and smacks of the shambles we had years ago with 10,000 seater stadia etc, surely Bonnyrigg must have known this and could have used some of their windfall from the Hibs game to put in floodlights?

Many of the juniors who moved to the EoS for this season applied for a licence.  Floodlights were not a requirement.  The SFA then added it as a requirement after these clubs applied.  Typical terrible job of things from the SFA.  They then delayed making a decision on licensing for months and waited until a couple of days after Bomnyrigg won the league to reject them.

Three of the existing Lowland League clubs don't even have floodlights.

Edited by Stanley_

5 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Many of the juniors who moved to the EoS for this season applied for a licence.  Floodlights were not a requirement.  The SFA then added it as a requirement after these clubs applied.  Typical terrible job of things from the SFA.  They then delayed making a decision on licensing for months and waited until a couple of days after Bomnyrigg won the league to reject them.

Three of the existing Lowland League clubs don't even have floodlights.

What a shambles! How the SFA continues to get away with continued failure is incredible! If it was an animal, it would have been put down years ago.

1 minute ago, savage said:

How can they deny bonnyrigg when teams already in the league don't have them.  Total joke

Would suggest a legal challenge may be in order if there is a financial viability to it.

Footballfirst

Here's what Tranent said about the decision:

Club Announcement

It is with huge disappointment the club have been notified by the SFA Chief Executive Ian Maxwell that we have been refused our full SFA licence because we do not meet the criteria by means of having no floodlights.

This requirement was a change to the original licensing criteria and was brought in 34 hours before our final assessment, which we would have passed otherwise. This is all the more galling considering the hundreds of hours spent on the regeneration of our ground and the amount of time completing paperwork.

I am absolutely gutted and saddened to be telling our loyal fans this news.

We are at an advanced stage to install floodlights after the upgrade of 3 phase power at a cost of over £15,000.

The committee will now meet tonight to discuss the best way forward for the club.

Congratulations to the clubs who successfully obtained their licenses and commiserations to the others, like ourselves, who didn’t, especially our friends at Bonnyrigg and their players who are without doubt the biggest losers after an amazing season.

The club welcome any suggestions or guidance on how to quicken the process of getting floodlights installed.

Yours,

David Innes
Club Chairman

..... and Haddington ......

The club received an email earlier from Ian Maxwell, SFA CEO, informing us our membership application's been unsuccessful. Suffice to say we're gravely disappointed at this news, and not a little dismayed by the sequence of events leading to this point.

Given our commitment to the SFA pyramid, a significant financial outlay & a lot of hard work carried out in good faith, to be so curtly dismissed without consultation naturally smarts more than a little. Customer service & professionalism seem of little interest to the SFA

I dread to think what Bonnyrigg may think about the decision.

Edited by Footballfirst

On 04/05/2019 at 19:49, redjambo said:

Pharaoh Nuff.

Gonnae Giza break wi the crap puns

Footballfirst

Bonnyrigg's statement ....... Says it all about the SFA as an organisation.

Update on club licensing.

I can confirm that earlier this afternoon I received an email from the Chief Executive of the SFA that following consideration by the Board, our application for membership of the Scottish Football Association has been rejected on the grounds that we are not complaint with current Entry Level criteria – specifically provision of floodlighting and therefore our application for derogation (which would allow us a period of twelve months to remedy this) has also been rejected.

Everyone at the club is extremely disappointed with the outcome of this decision, as we believe we provided a compelling case for derogation which would allow us time to install floodlights at New Dundas Park as planned during the summer in time for the start of the new season.

As a reminder, we applied for SFA membership on October 26th based on the criteria published in 2018 and the application fee was paid on the same date. November 22nd I received notice from SFA licensing that they would audit the club on December 12th at 10 a.m. At 6 p.m. on December 11th I received notification from SFA licensing of revisions to the SFA criteria for 2019 which now included a provision for the existence of floodlights. On the day of the audit it was confirmed by the licensing officers that despite applying for a license in 2018 (which would have been several months earlier has there not been an embargo in place allowing us to) we would be audited on the 2019 criteria. This gave us approximately 16 hours to ensure floodlights were in place which wasn’t achievable.

Since the time of the audit we submitted a planning application for floodlights & pending a decision from the council we will have them in place for this summer.

To go from the highs of the last seven days where we had close to 2,000 people watch us successfully navigate the Conference playoffs and win a place in the Lowland League based on sporting merit, to the news that reached us today which means at this moment in time we aren’t eligible for promotion is a massive low.

To the players, management and supporters, the only solace I can give is that we are currently reviewing every option of recourse available. We have already been in conversation with our league who will back our case and we will write to the SFA asking for a further review. We are also exploring whether there is a benefit of bringing in outside assistance to review the whole process we have been through. There are no options at this stage which we have discounted.

Finally, we would like to pass on our warm congratulations to the clubs that were successful in their license application today, which is a testament to their hard work over the course of several years.
Edited by Footballfirst

iain ferguson
14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Very dignified but I hope Bonnyrigg are offered free or discounted legal services to take this further. Absolutely appalling again from the SFA!

29 minutes ago, iain ferguson said:

Very dignified but I hope Bonnyrigg are offered free or discounted legal services to take this further. Absolutely appalling again from the SFA!

Yessss on all counts.

What teams were granted licenses? 

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yessss on all counts.

What teams were granted licenses? 

Blackburn :thumbsup:,Broxburn,Penicuik, Easthouses, Hill of Beath. Tynecastle yet to confirm but should be a yes given they already have floodlights.
Bonnyrigg, Camelon, Tranent, St Andrews all knocked back on the lack of floodlights. As mentioned above the floodlights requirement only came in AFTER the clubs had applied. It really stinks

Footballfirst

It's pretty galling that several LL teams don't own a licensed ground themselves and have become nomads, groundsharing with SPFL teams (BSC Glasgow, Cumbernauld Colts, East Stirling, Edusport, and Stirling University), while three others (Civil Service, Vale of Leithen and Whitehill) don't currently have floodlights either.

Whitehill will probably benefit most should Bonnyrigg be denied promotion. It's a tad ironic that Bonnyrigg would lose out because of their current lack of floodlights, while Whitehill keeps its place despite not having floodlights. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Manny1874
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

It's interesting that there application for derogation was also declined. It would be good to know the reasoning behind that. 

As Davie Innes said in Tranents response the club have just spent £15000 upgrading the power supply to the ground and were going to install the floodlights in the close season

aside from that I wouldnt like to think how much has been spent on Foresters Park in the past year to meet the criteria.Tranent have been complemented by every single club who has played there this season.To think we were hours from shutting up shop five or so seasons ago.

Im actually raging at these B*^"rds who have simply moved the goalposts so that we cannot become members

We have a good relationship with Bonnyrigg and Im gutted for them.

Hope we can all rejoin the Juniors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WheatfieldWarrior
On 04/05/2019 at 19:39, Stephane Grappelli said:

Pyramids? I sphinx it's a great idea.

Tut Tut

22 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

SFA at their finest.

20 hours ago, Manny1874 said:

It's interesting that there application for derogation was also declined. It would be good to know the reasoning behind that. 

It's the SFA they don't give reason's.

Diadora Van Basten

I think that it’s unfair for criteria to be changed after an application has been made.

This would be wrong in any walk of life.

Footballfirst
35 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think that it’s unfair for criteria to be changed after an application has been made.

This would be wrong in any walk of life.

Bonnyrigg and all the other unlicensed sides now face the dilemma of the same thing happening again in the next licensing round. Lets say they put up their floodlights, then the day before they are audited the SFA puts out its licensing criteria for 2020, but this time it requires a minimum of 100 seats under cover.

What should have happened in December 2018 was that the SFA should have said that floodlights would become mandatory in 12 months time, allowing all licensed and unlicensed clubs time to to meet the requirement, rather than the 16 hours notice that Bonnyrigg and Tranent got.  

Edited by Footballfirst

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Bonnyrigg and all the other unlicensed sides now face the dilemma of the same thing happening again in the next licensing round. Lets say they put up their floodlights, then the day before they are audited the SFA puts out its licensing criteria for 2020, but this time it requires a minimum of 100 seats under cover.

What should have happened in December 2018 was that the SFA should have said that floodlights would become mandatory in 12 months time, allowing all licensed and unlicensed clubs time to to meet the requirement, rather than the 16 hours notice that Bonnyrigg and Tranent got.  

It does seem fundamentally unfair. 

innerjambo
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It does seem fundamentally unfair. 

It's a complete shambles Dave, and very unprofessional that it should get to this stage without some kind of contingency plan. Nothing surprises me with the SFA though, standard practice. 

WheatfieldWarrior

It's a bit of a joke really. You should get time to make ground changes. 

Denying a club promotion on the stadium issue just makes the game look rigged.

I could see an argument if there was a need to accommodate thousands of away fans, but that isn't the case here.

On 04/05/2019 at 20:37, Footballfirst said:

The Montrose striker melted one in from 30 yards, pretty impressive match-fixing at that level.

Prince Buaben
7 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

It's a bit of a joke really. You should get time to make ground changes. 

Denying a club promotion on the stadium issue just makes the game look rigged.

I could see an argument if there was a need to accommodate thousands of away fans, but that isn't the case here.

Its like when Falkirk were denied promotion to the SPL and Inverness nearly were. Makes it look a complete carve up.

Big Moysey
On 07/05/2019 at 20:40, Footballfirst said:

It's pretty galling that several LL teams don't own a licensed ground themselves and have become nomads, groundsharing with SPFL teams (BSC Glasgow, Cumbernauld Colts, East Stirling, Edusport, and Stirling University), while three others (Civil Service, Vale of Leithen and Whitehill) don't currently have floodlights either.

Whitehill will probably benefit most should Bonnyrigg be denied promotion. It's a tad ironic that Bonnyrigg would lose out because of their current lack of floodlights, while Whitehill keeps its place despite not having floodlights. 

Excellent summation. The crux is that they (SFA)changed the criteria after applications were submitted and less than 24 hours before Bonnyrigg's inspection! They didn't want such an influx of new members so had to change rules. They have not given any consideration to the fact that existing clubs do not meet those criteria. I would imagine that legal route, if affordable, would be the way to go.