Hearts Tartan

feedtheroman2

feedtheroman2

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now (not least because I have around 4/5 weddings this year as well as thinking about my own in the future) about getting the Hearts tartan kilt package.

I believe Slanj produce it?

Has anyone got the full package ie, Kilt, socks, shoes, jacket and sgian dubh etc? Has anyone hired the kilt recently and felt it was good quality?

Be interesting to hear other opinions on what may potentially be, a long-term investment!

Carl Weathers

I hired it from Slanj for my best man - it looked really good and was pretty subtle for a football tartan.

I personally wouldn't buy a football tartan myself (although would be happy to hire and wear as a one off), but that's just because I'm a bit of a snob that way. I got a hunting MacGregor tartan which has some maroon in it and has family links. It's a big investment, so worth thinking about.

IronJambo
11 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now (not least because I have around 4/5 weddings this year as well as thinking about my own in the future) about getting the Hearts tartan kilt package.

Has anyone got the full package ie, Kilt, socks, shoes, jacket and sgian dubh etc? Has anyone hired the kilt recently and felt it was good quality?

Be interesting to hear other opinions on what may potentially be, a long-term investment!

I'd buy a proper kilt if I were you and leave football colours for football.

As for Slanj, one of my kilts is from there and it's decent quality. 

Edit: a kilts a great investment as if you're fussy with what you hire you'll get hit for up to £100 a go. You'll not get the money back over 5 wears but it'll pay for itself in the long run. You're not stuck with the kilt you initially buy either as you can always buy others.

Edited by IronJambo

Armageddon

As a kilt owner and wearer for many many years I would recommend going for Trews, also have them cut slightly slimmer than traditional, that allows you to then buy maybe 2 different jacket options, you can go smart/casual to a burns supper or full out bow tie smart for a wedding, you also feel the difference after being in them for many hours as opposed to a kilt.

15 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

I have my own kilt but my kilt jacket doesn’t fit me anymore so I decided I’d hire the full Hearts tartan outfit from Slanj with the charcoal jacket for a recent wedding. I’m not usually a fan of football tartans, however our new one is nice. The kilt looked decent for the wedding and it let the people who were there know what my football allegiances were in a classy way.

I’d probably say you’re best to hire it and then decide whether you wanna buy it yourself. The kilt & jacket are good quality - but when you hire kilts, my experience has always been that the accessories they give you are more basic (sporran, sgian dubh, shoes... etc), and that was also the case here, so it’s worth keeping that in mind if you decide to hire. Overall I think I prefer my own kilt to the Hearts one - but that’s just my personal opinion.

jimbojambo

I bought the old Hearts tartan kilt from The Kilt Store on Haymarket Terrace for £100 just over a year ago so maybe worth asking if they still have any left??

feedtheroman2
On 03/05/2019 at 19:34, jimbojambo said:

I bought the old Hearts tartan kilt from The Kilt Store on Haymarket Terrace for £100 just over a year ago so maybe worth asking if they still have any left??

What does it look like if you dont mind me asking? Would love to see a comparison. 

Sooperstar
4 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

What does it look like if you dont mind me asking? Would love to see a comparison. 

The old one is horrible in a kilt.

• 1 year later...
Салатные палочки
On 02/05/2019 at 22:21, His name is said:

https://www.slanjkilts.com/view-product/hearts-charcoal-crail

Much nicer than the old hearts tartan. Haven't hired or bought tho. 

_20190502_222003.JPG

That picture could have been a whole lot better had it been taken in front of a completed stand without the workies in the background (including one that looks like he is on his unofficial tea break) :laugh2:

All roads lead to Gorgie
30 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

That picture could have been a whole lot better had it been taken in front of a completed stand without the workies in the background (including one that looks like he is on his unofficial tea break) :laugh2:

They surely could have used the Wheatfield as a backdrop, must have thought Cowie was here to stay also. The quality of the kilts looks good though. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
46 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Do they do a hearts tartan face mask?

Only you could bring face masks into another thread 🙄

Jambo 4 Ever
15 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Only you could bring face masks into another thread 🙄

They are one of the most important things we can all do just now so no harm in that either 

Montgomery Brewster
On 03/05/2019 at 10:33, Armageddon said:

As a kilt owner and wearer for many many years I would recommend going for Trews, also have them cut slightly slimmer than traditional, that allows you to then buy maybe 2 different jacket options, you can go smart/casual to a burns supper or full out bow tie smart for a wedding, you also feel the difference after being in them for many hours as opposed to a kilt.

I concur 👍🏻

it’s the thinking mans choice of attire 

Shanks said no
22 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Do they do a hearts tartan face mask?

I think they were doing the Tynecastle tartan in masks but are out of stock. I enquired about my own tartan but they don’t make masks in modern MacDonald. 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I think they were doing the Tynecastle tartan in masks but are out of stock. I enquired about my own tartan but they don’t make masks in modern MacDonald. 

Ah ok fair enough - thanks