European Elections

AlimOzturk

The Edinburgh result will likely be tonight but then Edinburgh council then collate all the national votes. I think they reckon tomorrow morning or midday before the national result is announced. 

Here’s a link I just saw on twitter.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• i8hibsh

• Boris

• AlphonseCapone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlphonseCapone
52 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

The Edinburgh result will likely be tonight but then Edinburgh council then collate all the national votes. I think they reckon tomorrow morning or midday before the national result is announced. 

Here’s a link I just saw on twitter.

?

JamboGraham

I get the fact that we needed to wait till 10pm tonight to tie in with the rest of Europe but anyone know why we have a delay in releasing UK results...surely the whole lot could just have been announced in one go bang on 10pm?

I assume counting was done on Friday?

AlphonseCapone
Just now, JamboGraham said:

I get the fact that we needed to wait till 10pm tonight to tie in with the rest of Europe but anyone know why we have a delay in releasing UK results...surely the whole lot could just have been announced in one go bang on 10pm?

I assume counting was done on Friday?

Nah didn't start counting till today. 

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Nah didn't start counting till today. 

I assume some kind of strange electoral rule? (EU or UK)...seems entirely unnecessary to have all these local authority staff working today and this evening, especially as tomorrow is a UK public holiday. In the grand scheme of things it’s a drop in the EU ocean but for my local authority I would rather see the available cash being put into local services rather than overtime, holiday premium payments, etc. Overall though it seems crazy that we still vote in this admin heavy manner in 2019.

...a bit disco

12 out of 14 so far to SNP. The other 2 to Lib Dems.

Minority though.

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I assume some kind of strange electoral rule? (EU or UK)...seems entirely unnecessary to have all these local authority staff working today and this evening, especially as tomorrow is a UK public holiday. In the grand scheme of things it’s a drop in the EU ocean but for my local authority I would rather see the available cash being put into local services rather than overtime, holiday premium payments, etc. Overall though it seems crazy that we still vote in this admin heavy manner in 2019.

I'm not entirely sure tbh with you. I was very surprised myself, assumed they'd have counted Friday as well. Don't know if it's to negate the risk of results getting out early? 

CavySlaveJambo

Probably so that their was no chance of results or even exit polls leaking and influencing voters in other countries. 

CavySlaveJambo

So Farage and co, only got 6 extra MEPs over what they got for UKIP in 2014. They had 23 then and they will have 29 for now. Including Jacob Rees-Moggs sister.  

Partys backing a second referendum actually had a higher percentage of votes. 

glynnlondon

Country still split down the middle and getting worse no compromise possible from what I can see.

What a mess.

frankblack
2 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

So Farage and co, only got 6 extra MEPs over what they got for UKIP in 2014. They had 23 then and they will have 29 for now. Including Jacob Rees-Moggs sister.  

Truly straw clutching response.

Accept defeat gracefully and move on.  :thumbsup:

Remain failed to win themselves a second referendum.

Ibrahim Tall
5 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Correct. UKIP 2.0 effectively wiped out their predecessor and took 5 tories, pro-EU/2nd referendum parties gained the other 10.

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Truly straw clutching response.

Accept defeat gracefully and move on.  :thumbsup:

Remain failed to win themselves a second referendum.

No doubt the Brexit Party are the biggest party, but interesting ho wthe vote has been split.

How pro-Brexit (34.9%) and anti-Brexit parties have done (40.4%)

Interesting.  Shows how screwed up Brexit is.

The Mighty Thor

So the little englander types have it? 

No surprise at all.

Next up, a lurch to the right by the Tories and we're out on 31/10 with no deal and the break up of the UK is accelerated. 

The Scottish results should be a warning to Westminster but it will of course be ignored.

Interesting times. 

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

No doubt the Brexit Party are the biggest party, but interesting ho wthe vote has been split.

How pro-Brexit (34.9%) and anti-Brexit parties have done (40.4%)

Interesting.  Shows how screwed up Brexit is.

Not sure it's fair to include Conservative party on their own tbh. They are committed to Brexit in some form. Only Labour are really ambiguous. 

Not sure it's fair to include Conservative party on their own tbh. They are committed to Brexit in some form. Only Labour are really ambiguous. 

You could say the same about Labour, tbf.  I suspect they have been isolated as there are enough in each party that back the different sides.

Geographically, it's interesting to see that the Brexit Party have more or less topped each region in England and Wales.  Quite sobering.  Whilst an extreme example, really highlights what this union of ours is all about.  Not a union of equal nations.

Result same as referendum Brexit got 35% of total votes available.House of commons is 2/3 remain.Problem you cannot have referendum on a split it must be total votes at 100% then you climb up.Brexit got 37.3% but 13m did not vote. And E U people were banned from vote. 3.5m.Students were told to vote at residence then unable to vote.It was set up to stop remain winning.As the court said as it was not legal we cannot change it.

ToadKiller Dog

Poor Stephen yaxley Lennon (the micro mussolini)  lost his deposit 2.2% of the vote and sneaked out of the count early blaming media and everybody else as his dreams of a cushy 80k a year dissappear ?

Best result of the night 

frankblack
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I kind of agree with your assessment.  Given that the Tories are pro brexit and Labour can't decide, we more or less repeated the 2016 referendum result.

This time the remainers can't keep spouting the guff about leave voters being misled and lied to.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I kind of agree with your assessment.  Given that the Tories are pro brexit and Labour can't decide, we more or less repeated the 2016 referendum result.

This time the remainers can't keep spouting the guff about leave voters being misled and lied to.

Why not?

CavySlaveJambo
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

350 Million a week for the NHS? 

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Independence it is then. We aren't politically aligned with England, who will just overrule us at every turn due to their bigger numbers.

Edited by Ray Gin

frankblack
Just now, Taffin said:

Why not?

It was their primary argument for stopping Brexit, by trying to undermine the authenticity of the referendum result.

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Why not?

Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

350 Million a week for the NHS? 

I think what Frank is saying, is that we now all know about what's happened since the referendum, about the lies on the bus, and that no deal is a real possibility and what that'll look like, and despite that, there doesn't appear to be much change in proportions on either side. So even now, with everything that has come out since the 2016 referendum, it appears from this election that a similar number of people still want Brexit. 

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

It was their primary argument for stopping Brexit, by trying to undermine the authenticity of the referendum result.

So you're saying they're no longer being lied to or misled? Sorry I don't follow. You said that's no longer a valid argument, what's changed? 

frankblack
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Independence it is then. We aren't politically aligned with England, who will just overrule us at every turn due to their bigger numbers.

Nope.  Majority still pro union, and you can't take Europe votes for the SNP as votes for independence.  People voted on Brexit alone.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Toot if you want a people’s vote...oh wait?

112DAC2D-27A9-4E8F-AB1E-B3751DF110AD.gif

Nope.  Majority still pro union, and you can't take Europe votes for the SNP as votes for independence.  People voted on Brexit alone.

Debatable.

Edited by Ray Gin

AlphonseCapone

I didn't, the SNP got my vote over the Lib Dems because the SNP support Scottish independence and the Lib Dems don't. 

6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I think what Frank is saying, is that we now all know about what's happened since the referendum, about the lies on the bus, and that no deal is a real possibility and what that'll look like, and despite that, there doesn't appear to be much change in proportions on either side. So even now, with everything that has come out since the 2016 referendum, it appears from this election that a similar number of people still want Brexit. 

I still believe there is a lot of misinformation and falsities being told by the pro-Brexit parties (as there are from remain too, and all political parties). To believe what pro-Brexit campaigners are saying now is no different to believing it in 2016, and many of the people voting Brexit Party are doing so on the basis of things they believed to be true in 2016 and still believe to be true now. 

Edited by Taffin

frankblack

So you're saying they're no longer being lied to or misled? Sorry I don't follow. You said that's no longer a valid argument, what's changed? 

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Correct.

I don't think anyone bought that bull about the £350m etc and the Brexit vote is more or less the same now.

Ibrahim Tall

Debatable, anyone with a ‘strong’ leave viewpoint likely voted for the Brexit Party this week to prove a point and the turnout overall was only 30-40% in a lot of areas. In the referendum it was a hell of a lot higher - ~85% IIRC.

If anything the middle ‘I dono what to do’ category seems to be getting bigger.

frankblack

I still believe there is a lot of misinformation and falsities being told by the pro-Brexit parties (as there are from remain too, and all political parties). To believe what pro-Brexot campaigners are saying not is no different to believing it in 2016, and many of the people voting Brexit Party are doing so on the basis of things they believed to be true in 2016 and still believe to be true now. 

People may have had their opinions hardened by the shambles at Westminster and pathetic Withdrawal bill.

If you tell someone they aren't allowed to get what they want like the EU is perceived to have done in the negotiations then resentment sets in and grows.

CavySlaveJambo
Just now, Ibrahim Tall said:

Debatable, anyone with a ‘strong’ leave viewpoint likely voted for the Brexit Party this week to prove a point and the turnout overall was only 30-40% in a lot of areas. In the referendum it was a hell of a lot higher - ~85% IIRC.

If anything the middle ‘I dono what to do’ category seems to be getting bigger.

Referendum turn out was only around 70-75%.  

GlasgoJambo
1 hour ago, Julie1957 said:

Result same as referendum Brexit got 35% of total votes available.House of commons is 2/3 remain.Problem you cannot have referendum on a split it must be total votes at 100% then you climb up.Brexit got 37.3% but 13m did not vote. And E U people were banned from vote. 3.5m.Students were told to vote at residence then unable to vote.It was set up to stop remain winning.As the court said as it was not legal we cannot change it.

You forgot Russian bots and media interference / bias. 

Ibrahim Tall
2 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Referendum turn out was only around 70-75%.  

Correct, mixed up with the Scotland one...

Still around 30% higher though.

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

People may have had their opinions hardened by the shambles at Westminster and pathetic Withdrawal bill.

If you tell someone they aren't allowed to get what they want like the EU is perceived to have done in the negotiations then resentment sets in and grows.

I'm not debating any of that.

I'm just saying nothing has happened that invalidates the argument that Brexit voters have been misled and lied to.

Given you don't believe anyone bought the 350m on the side of the bus campaign makes me doubt what you have to say in all honesty. People absolutely believed that. Some believed it and now support remain since learning it was mistruths and some believed and accept it wasn't true but still believe Brexit to be the right thing to do. 

Out of interest what constituency are you in? I get the feeling you don't speak to that wide a range of Brexit voters on a regular basis about their motivations but I'm happy to accept that an assumption and I may be wrong.

gashauskis9
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Don’t think you can come to that conclusion.  A proportion of that Tory vote will be in the soft Brexit or People’s vote camp.  TBF, the Tory and Labour vote is purely the equivalent of the “don’t agree/don’t disagree/don’t know” option you normally see on a survey.  You may as well discount them because there will be too much of an underlying mix.  

7 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Don’t think you can come to that conclusion.  A proportion of that Tory vote will be in the soft Brexit or People’s vote camp.  TBF, the Tory and Labour vote is purely the equivalent of the “don’t agree/don’t disagree/don’t know” option you normally see on a survey.  You may as well discount them because there will be too much of an underlying mix.  

I'd put it more like: 

Remain (LD + CUK + SNP + Green + PC) 

No deal Brexit (BP + UKIP)

Deal/Fantasy Brexit (Conservative)

Don't know (Labour)

gashauskis9
6 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I'd put it more like: 

Don't know (Labour)

Pretty accurate chief.  

Ibrahim Tall
10 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

I'd put it more like: 

Don't know (Labour)

Tbh that’s also ignoring the N Irish parties who DUP aside are all basically ‘remain’ too.