Kyle Lafferty.

skwif1

A_A wehatethehibs

Before Lafferty joined, Hearts had gone about 5 years 20 odd games without beating Celtic including getting beat 7-0 at Tynecastle etc regular hammerings

He then scored 4 goals against them and Hearts only lost once against them, in his first game, was instrumental in the 4-0 win. 

Since he left, we've lost 5 out of 5 against them including 5-0, a semi and a final. 

To me the one very obvious reason to sign him is if we plan on getting to semis and finals again, there is a high likelihood we will have to play Celtic in these games again. We need to do something to turn around our form against Celtic

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Robbo-Jambo

• Jammy T

• Cruyff Turn

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Before Lafferty joined, Hearts had gone about 5 years 20 odd games without beating Celtic including getting beat 7-0 at Tynecastle etc regular hammerings

He then scored 4 goals against them and Hearts only lost once against them, in his first game. Never lost again against Celtic in maroon, was instrumental in the 4-0 win. 

Since he left, we've lost 5 out of 5 against them including 5-0, a semi and a final. 

To me the one very obvious reason to sign him is if we plan on getting to semis and finals again, there is a high likelihood we will have to play Celtic in these games again. 

I don’t want to sign a player that will try hard for a maximum of 6 games a season. We’ve had ‘successful’ seasons in the past (under Jeffries mainly) where we still had woeful records against the OF - the key is to beat all the other teams more often. This is what Aberdeen do now. We’ve had seasons with memorable victories against the OF but lost too many times against the other teams. Like Lafferty’s season with us, where we finished 6th. No point getting a player in to play Celtic in the semi or final if we’re not going to get to that stage (like we didn’t in Lafferty’s season).

Edited by BackOfTheNet

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I don’t want to sign a player that will try hard for a maximum of 6 games a season. We’ve had ‘successful’ seasons in the past (under Jeffries mainly) where we still had woeful records against the OF - the key is to beat all the other teams more often. This is what Aberdeen do now. We’ve had seasons with memorable victories against the OF but lost too many times against the other teams. Like Lafferty’s season with us, where we finished 6th. No point getting a player in to play Celtic in the semi or final if we’re not going to get to that stage (like we didn’t in Lafferty’s season).

Blunder from me anyway, he lost twice against Celtic not once :lol: 

Still we are going to need to try and do something to turn around our fortunes against them. We need players in there without fear 

BackOfTheNet
21 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Still we are going to need to try and do something to turn around our fortunes against them. We need players in there without fear 

I said it at the time with the Burley season when we beat Rangers at Tynecastle and unluckily drew with Celtic through there that the biggest reason was because players like Skacel, Fyssas, Bednar, Jankauskas etc couldn’t give a rats who Rangers and Celtic were. A big problem, not just for Hearts but every other Scottish club, is that they’re full of Scottish laddies that either supported the OF as boys or grew up seeing them on tv all the time winning things. It breeds a mentality that they have a monumental task and therefore have to play out of their skin against them to get anything. 05-06 those players concentrated on themselves, not the opposition, hence why the fear wasn’t there.

A_A wehatethehibs
21 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I said it at the time with the Burley season when we beat Rangers at Tynecastle and unluckily drew with Celtic through there that the biggest reason was because players like Skacel, Fyssas, Bednar, Jankauskas etc couldn’t give a rats who Rangers and Celtic were. A big problem, not just for Hearts but every other Scottish club, is that they’re full of Scottish laddies that either supported the OF as boys or grew up seeing them on tv all the time winning things. It breeds a mentality that they have a monumental task and therefore have to play out of their skin against them to get anything. 05-06 those players concentrated on themselves, not the opposition, hence why the fear wasn’t there.

That was nearly 15 years ago so that tells us just how rare a talisman like Lafferty is, I don’t see how Hearts fans can be turning their nose up at a player who is such a rare gem in amongst all the garbage we’ve had particularly in the striker department. 

The reality is though, I believe Budge does not want Lafferty in and it’s the same reason a lot of folk on here. I think it’s for flute based not football based reasons people don’t like him. Levein probably would take him if the money is there. Folk have pointed from her interview - she said she’s only said “no” once. With Levein, losing the semi and final both against Celtic will have annoyed him, given how rare those opportunities have been in his career and he’d of been thinking how handy it would have been to have a Celtic killer like Kyle Lafferty rather than Stephen Maclean available for those games. 

BackOfTheNet
24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That was nearly 15 years ago so that tells us just how rare a talisman like Lafferty is, I don’t see how Hearts fans can be turning their nose up at a player who is such a rare gem in amongst all the garbage we’ve had particularly in the striker department. 

The reality is though, I believe Budge does not want Lafferty in and it’s the same reason a lot of folk on here. I think it’s for flute based not football based reasons people don’t like him. Levein probably would take him if the money is there. Folk have pointed from her interview - she said she’s only said “no” once. With Levein, losing the semi and final both against Celtic will have annoyed him, given how rare those opportunities have been in his career and he’d of been thinking how handy it would have been to have a Celtic killer like Kyle Lafferty rather than Stephen Maclean available for those games. 

I think their issue was more to do with his gambling and having to babysit a man in his 30’s. Which is what Macphee had to do. The flute business is a negative, but I don’t think that has any bearing on any decision. Me personally I wouldn’t take him for what’s been stated already, in particular his lack of teamwork. For what he would cost and the potential drawbacks I’m saying no. His lack of assists speak volumes, we need goals from all over which means he has to do the dirty work and create space for others and assist, which he doesn’t do.

Benny Factor
8 hours ago, Marooon! said:

He'll instantly join Naismith as one of our best players. 

"Our????".... neither of them is rejoining Rangers.

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think their issue was more to do with his gambling and having to babysit a man in his 30’s. Which is what Macphee had to do. The flute business is a negative, but I don’t think that has any bearing on any decision. Me personally I wouldn’t take him for what’s been stated already, in particular his lack of teamwork. For what he would cost and the potential drawbacks I’m saying no. His lack of assists speak volumes, we need goals from all over which means he has to do the dirty work and create space for others and assist, which he doesn’t do.

We have other players who DO do that though, what we are lacking is the poacher, someone who adds that extra intimidation to our opponents. I think he’s worth a 1 year deal and am more than happy to move Maclean and Wighton on. 

You just know Naismith or Walker or someone is going to get injured and leave a hole, then it’s your Maclean’s / Wightons who’ll be playing. I just don’t see many strikers of Laffertys quality available for free 

I believe Levein has already made a comment about Kyle. When asked about him signing he’s said “do you not think I’m grey enough?”

Says it all really. 

Robbo-Jambo
8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Changed my mind completely about this guy.  Says he wants to come back us at the same time he's singing the praises of Rangers who dumped him.

Not for me.

His interview in the paper was cringe worthy tbh. 

Banged on and on about his love for Rangers and how his daughter will never see him in their strip etc. 

Then he casually mentions the ideal move would be back to Hearts. He also says he didn't realise how big a club Hearts were!!!! 

FFS was he walking about with his eyes shut in his first spell in Scotland? 

The guy has the brain the size of a pea 😙 and seems to be unable to grow up as well. Taking pictures of his tadger and sending them to some female. WTF is that all about. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You keeping banging on about how good KL was for us against sellik but neglect to mention how he barely tried a leg against his beloved sevco (and yes I do remember him scoring at Murayfield but his reaction told where his true feeling were).

3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This is where I’m at. I also think people focus on the 19 goals too much. Understandable of course, but as others pointed out this was 12 in the league. “9 more than Uche FFS” I hear the suddendly anti-Uche brigade say. Well, yes, Uche had only 3 goals - in half the games Lafferty played mind you - but also Lafferty never had any assists. Uche even in last week’s game had an assist and had plenty last season too. To be a forward in the top league you have to do more than just hit the back of the net, unless you can guarantee 20+ league goals.

We didn’t hit the back of the net much last year 

if your suggesting Uche is better than Lafferty I find that beyond laughable 

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

You keeping banging on about how good KL was for us against sellik but neglect to mention how he barely tried a leg against his beloved sevco (and yes I do remember him scoring at Murayfield but his reaction told where his true feeling were).

You said it yourself he scored against Rangers. What more can you ask for from a striker than putting the ball in the back of the net, that’s your primary job. Who knows, if he finds himself this season playing against them, it might spark an anger in him to prove Steven Gerrard wrong. As i say i am comparing him to Wighton and Maclean who are soft, ineffective players who offer next to nothing in terms of match winning against any team let alone Celtic/Rangers 

The Treasurer
47 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You said it yourself he scored against Rangers. What more can you ask for from a striker than putting the ball in the back of the net, that’s your primary job. Who knows, if he finds himself this season playing against them, it might spark an anger in him to prove Steven Gerrard wrong. As i say i am comparing him to Wighton and Maclean who are soft, ineffective players who offer next to nothing in terms of match winning against any team let alone Celtic/Rangers 

Do you think his interview about "us" winning the league and wanting to be there when/if it happens sounds like "sparking anger"

You mention two players who, at best will be squad players, but conveniently don't mention other forwards in our squad

FarmerTweedy
19 hours ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

20 goal a season striker alongside Naismith Washington and Walker, that’s an absolute force of an attacking team, I understand the midfield has to be a priority but how anyone could say no to Lafferty because he might upset the dressing room is a load of pish, we’re desperate for a Lafferty in our team for the big games against hibs / Celtic etc 

Agree with the bit in bold.  No idea what that's got to do with Lafferty though!

15 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Using punctuation would make it easier to understand your posts. I read it as ‘75% against’ ‘25% for’ due to the construction of the sentence. I would definitely bring him back. What a set of attacking options we would have. 

Punctuation is my weakness and football is my strength.

Edited by mitch41

2 hours ago, EarnockJambo said:

"Our????".... neither of them is rejoining Rangers.

No offence but Gerrard didn't see him as good enough to play for rangers and that was naismiths preferred move oh and before people accuse me of being a hun or a mhank i hate both the old firm and if it was upto me i would cut there allocation i have started threads on the old firm in the past, I can also tell u Lafferty is talking to Austin with his intentions coming back to hearts. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

afanderson33
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In Lafferty’s first season we played Celtic 4 times and lost three of them. We lost 4-1, 3-1 and 3-1. He scored in two of the defeats. Apart from losing more games against Celtic for us than he won, he never lost for us against them. 

FarmerTweedy
14 hours ago, NB GIN said:

There is no reason why he won’t do it again I would rather have him in the side than Uche or wighton that’s for sure 

He still scored 19 goals I say 19 goals 

He's only reached 19 goals once in his entire career.  He's 32, hasn't particularly looked after himself, doesn't train well, and is therefore likely to be starting to head downwards in terms of physical conditioning/ability.  He's therefore unlikely to be equaling his personal best scoring record at any point in the remainder of his career. He certainly won't do it this season wherever he does end up, as he won't have the league cup group stage to get him off to a 4 goal flyer!  If there was any significant likelihood that he would actually score 19 goals (or close to it) this season for us, I'd be all for signing him again.  There is, however, a snowball's chance in hell of him actually doing that.

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Graham Thomson said:

It's a no brainer for me, absolutely take him back if possible, 

Lafferty and Washington up front, with the likes of Naismith and Walker behind,

Goals from everywhere 👍

Lafferty would I think hit 20 goals. 

Please do explain your "thinking"!

Mr Elwood P
30 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Punctuation is my weakness and football is my strength.

If ever there was an example of a subjective point. 

Robbo-Jambo

Baffled why this is still being debated. 

He is not coming back to Hearts so let's move on with things that matter. 

We have our next “20 goal a season player”.

Naismith will score 20 this season - he’s played 25 mins and got one already FFS.

Walker and Uche will get double figures and I am fairly sure Washington will get between 10-20.

Halkett will get around 10 - he’s already on 3.

We’ll score more goals this season than

we did in the Lafferty season - i’d put my house on it.

Edited by Jammy T

gashauskis9
5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’m more concerned about our form against Sevco.  Laff won’t fix that.

Jambosteve1902
18 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’m more concerned about our form against Sevco.  Laff won’t fix that.

if anyone actually believes hed just not try against Rangers you're just naive. he was excellant against them for us at Murrayfield when he played.

Jambosteve1902
25 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Naismith will score 20 this season - he’s played 25 mins and got one already FFS.

Walker and Uche will get double figures and I am fairly sure Washington will get between 10-20.

Uche wont score double figure goals. he can't finish.  create us goals yes but wont be scoring 10, lucky to get 7. 

OmiyaHearts
32 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

You're saying Naismith, Walker, Uche & Washington will get at least 50 goals between them this season?

The whole team only managed 42 goals in the entire 2018/19 campaign.

alwaysthereinspirit
30 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Impossible to determine goal numbers for anyone. We have no idea how many game they'll start. We're all so fickle.  Uche getting 7 in 21 games would be seen as a failure on here but Washington getting 10 in 30 would be good to others. I'm just going to wait until May to decide how we did.

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Baffled why this is still being debated. 

He is not coming back to Hearts so let's move on with things that matter. 

This times 1,000.  On the plus side he's talented and capable of occasional brilliance.  However this is massively outweighed by being dysfunctional, high maintenance, unreliable, a complete waster, an out of control womaniser, gambling addict, bigot and disruptive influence in the dressing room. He needs professional help and a lot of it.  I would not be shocked if he blew the entire proceeds of his well paid football career and ended up washed up, Gary Jos style. We are a professional football club, not Social Services.

Good luck to him in dealing with his many issues and we move on.

6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He then scored 4 goals against them and Hearts only lost once against them, in his first game, was instrumental in the 4-0 win. 

To me the one very obvious reason to sign him is if we plan on getting to semis and finals again, there is a high likelihood we will have to play Celtic in these games again. We need to do something to turn around our form against Celtic

Good points. 

I am genuinely torn though, as he is not the type of character (and baggage) I want at Hearts.

Sexton Hardcastle

Thing is, if we do somehow sign this clown again and he doesn’t hit the already mental expectations of at least 19 goals, the same chumps chastising Levein and co will be the first to criticise him FOR signing a dud.

Bookmark it.

Hectormasson
6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Love him or loathe him ? If you want to challenge the weegies ,you need big naughtie types like him ,that will stir it on the pitch,and score goals!  His record  proves it scored 4 v tic ,also pulled us level v hibs....

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If ever there was an example of a subjective point. 

Yes it's very subjectively.

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

Love him or loathe him ? If you want to challenge the weegies ,you need big naughtie types like him ,that will stir it on the pitch,and score goals!  His record  proves it scored 4 v tic ,also pulled us level v hibs....

This is why i would love to get Wheelan, he would make sure thugs like Brown would not just turn up at Tynie and take liberties. 

Hectormasson
5 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Exactly...

3 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

I thought Lafferty played his best football when Naisy was on his case.

Hectormasson
Just now, mitch41 said:

I thought Lafferty played his best football when Naisy was on his case.

2 nasty wee or big buggers that can play against the tic ? That's the type we need to get into them,and at least challenge,,,

portobellojambo1
Just now, Hectormasson said:

2 nasty wee or big buggers that can play against the tic ? That's the type we need to get into them,and at least challenge,,,

It doesn't matter if players come with previous playing time at Rangers or Celtic, and even if that playing time is with the first team the reserves or their youth set up. They all come with the same attitude and it is the attitude we need to instil in everyone from the first day they walk through Tynecastle's doors. And that attitude is that when you go out on a football park only one result is important and that is winning. It is pointless bringing anyone in to then tell them we don't give a shit if we lose or draw  games, that is an attitude intended for losers (even worse if that attitude is being promoted in the stands as well).

BackOfTheNet
3 hours ago, NB GIN said:

We didn’t hit the back of the net much last year 

if your suggesting Uche is better than Lafferty I find that beyond laughable 

For contribution to the team, yes. I’ll take Uche over Lafferty any day of the week.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

1 minute ago, Hectormasson said:

When you play the old firm you need the right character it's all about winning your battles by any means. Naisy and Lafferty have this in abundance just like Clark, Jardine, Colquhoun, Black, McDonald, Johnston ect. and boy did these guys help our youngsters like Robbo, Mackay, Bowman ect.

The pish being spouted by Lafferty and his loyal followers is nauseating. 

There's a simple way to put this to bed. We offer Kyle his dream return to Hearts, say £1500 a week maybe, somewhere in the middle of our wage structure. He doesn't deserve the same as Naismith, Berra, Michael Smith, Whelan if we land him. 

He'll either make his excuses and scuttle off for a dream move somewhere. Or, he'll accept it and I'll respect him for doing so and expect him to play for the badge. 

I predict he'd scuttle off, as he's a hun loving mercenary. 

30 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

What you need is an edge players that worry the opposition before a ball is kicked.. Naismith is the only one we have. Rudi was another example sometimes he was hardly in a game by the end of it he had a couple goals because an opposing player had spent the game trying to keep him quiet..switched off a couple of times and the ball was in the net!  Uche has been worked out, defenders are winning fouls against him now, Washington has great movement but can’t do it himself and defenders are happy to let him run knowing no one is there to follow up...although Naismith back will help that. Lafferty has the edge up front we need, defenders can’t switch off against him and he’s a wind up merchant with Naismith Washington Lafferty and Walker we’d have a front four that would have teams thinking twice about opening up against us especially if Mulraney is on form his pace is deadly! We just need that 1 forward (lafferty) and defensive midfielder and we’ve got a top 4 team easily.

Edited by Rudy T

Hectormasson
12 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

When you play the old firm you need the right character it's all about winning your battles by any means. Naisy and Lafferty have this in abundance just like Clark, Jardine, Colquhoun, Black, McDonald, Johnston ect. and boy did these guys help our youngsters like Robbo, Mackay, Bowman ect.

Agree totally ,but theres many on here just dont want to know where lads concerned,, id like him back because he would do the bizzo,dont care about his beliefs or what's conjured up in his wee head ,,,just the goals and presence ,,,   but hes not going to come back any time soon I believe??

Robbo-Jambo
45 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

This times 1,000.  On the plus side he's talented and capable of occasional brilliance.  However this is massively outweighed by being dysfunctional, high maintenance, unreliable, a complete waster, an out of control womaniser, gambling addict, bigot and disruptive influence in the dressing room. He needs professional help and a lot of it.  I would not be shocked if he blew the entire proceeds of his well paid football career and ended up washed up, Gary Jos style. We are a professional football club, not Social Services.

Good luck to him in dealing with his many issues and we move on.

Say what you think S J 😄

Hectormasson
3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

What you need is an edge players that worry the opposition before a ball is kicked.. Naismith is the only one we have. Rudi was another example sometimes he was hardly in a game by the end of it he had a couple goals because an opposing player had spent the game trying to keep him quiet..switched off a couple of times and the ball was in the net!  Uche has been worked out, defenders are winning fouls against him now, Washington has great movement but can’t do it himself and defenders are happy to let him run knowing no one is there to follow up...although Naismith back will help that. Lafferty has the edge up front we need, defenders can’t switch off against him and he’s a wind up merchant with Naismith Washington Lafferty and Walker we’d have a front four that would have teams thinking twice about opening up against us especially if Mulraney is on form his pace is deadly! We just need that 1 forward (lafferty) and defensive midfielder and we’ve got a top 4 team easily.

Well put rudi boy,take it you are one🤣🤣🙈👏🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

For contribution to the team, yes. I’ll take Uche over Lafferty any day of the week.

that’s crazy, big goals in big games or running a lot but no end product..  I’ll take laff and let someone else do the running 

Castle rock

My only real concern is Edward's and several others have said it's the best dressing room they've been in do players like laff and cumdog disrupt that?