Mossmorran

jake

Anyone live near this.

It's been really bad lately .

Just another nail in the coffin I suppose in regards to our total disregard for the environment.

6 minutes ago, jake said:

Anyone live near this.

It's been really bad lately .

Just another nail in the coffin I suppose in regards to our total disregard for the environment.

Was on the news. They say it was some boiler failure I think that was causing this. Been loads of complaints 

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

Was on the news. They say it was some boiler failure I think that was causing this. Been loads of complaints 

It is quite a sight from across the water.

Must be frightening living near it.

11 minutes ago, jake said:

It is quite a sight from across the water.

Must be frightening living near it.

I've got quite used to the sky being lit up at night

All roads lead to Gorgie

How much Co2 is going into the atmosphere from that. The company said on the news it's mostly water and Co2, as if that's fine.

Looks like a volcanic eruption in the sky tonight! 

1 hour ago, jake said:

So you live near the place ?

One night last year I was convinced there was a fire somewhere, as the sky on the horizon was lit up. That was from Bonnyrigg.  Saw similar from Dalry another night.

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Wow, didn’t realise how loud it was. Only ever seen it from driving around Edinburgh at night. Certainly wouldn’t want to be living anywhere near that.

2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

How much Co2 is going into the atmosphere from that. The company said on the news it's mostly water and Co2, as if that's fine.

Looks like a volcanic eruption in the sky tonight!

Couple of things to point out - I've been to Mossmorran and other plants like it numerous times for work.

The idea of water sounds stupid, but it's a combination of water produced as part of the combustion reaction, and also the steam injected at the flare tip to prevent lots of smoke. 

Secondly, flares are only intentionally  big when one of two things happen: 1) pressure relief valves have opened to prevent equipment from exploding, or 2) emergency depressurization valves are opened to rapidly get rid of hydrocarbon inventories in equipment that is under threat (e.g. fire). Trust me that in both cases flaring is a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

I notice that there is now an investigation which suggests that something may be amiss at the site. Not necessarily dangerous, but potentially valves that have opened without command which could be a maintenance issue. It'll be interesting how it plays out I think. 

Also, I can't quite remember how big the flare at Mossmorran is, but I was once standing 30 m away from a flare rated at 250 tonnes/h went off. Not something you forget in a hurry, so I entirely understand why the locals are pissed off.

8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Wow, didn’t realise how loud it was. Only ever seen it from driving around Edinburgh at night. Certainly wouldn’t want to be living anywhere near that.

It’s beside Cowdenbeath. If you were living there I’d say that would be the least of your worries :D

10 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

We were walking round the lake at Lochore Meadows Country Park the other day and the noise from the flare and the plant was like a jet engine revving up. 

????

7 hours ago, trotter said:

Couple of things to point out - I've been to Mossmorran and other plants like it numerous times for work.

The idea of water sounds stupid, but it's a combination of water produced as part of the combustion reaction, and also the steam injected at the flare tip to prevent lots of smoke. 

Secondly, flares are only intentionally  big when one of two things happen: 1) pressure relief valves have opened to prevent equipment from exploding, or 2) emergency depressurization valves are opened to rapidly get rid of hydrocarbon inventories in equipment that is under threat (e.g. fire). Trust me that in both cases flaring is a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

I notice that there is now an investigation which suggests that something may be amiss at the site. Not necessarily dangerous, but potentially valves that have opened without command which could be a maintenance issue. It'll be interesting how it plays out I think. 

Having a meeting in Lochgelly next month about it 

I guess the result of not flaring this gas is half of Scotland being blown to pieces!  It's a safety feature when things go wrong in the process.

The Future's Maroon

Seen it last night from Slateford Rd, wondered what the hell it was, thought it was a fire somewhere in Murrayfield....but naw, its bloody miles away in Cowdenbeath ?

16 hours ago, trotter said:

It's a recurring problem .

Suggests to me that flaring is the cheaper option.

Would I be far off the mark?

4 hours ago, jake said:

It's a recurring problem .

Suggests to me that flaring is the cheaper option.

Would I be far off the mark?

Safer option. Definitely not cheaper. Not only are you at risk of getting fined for being over regulatory-limited emissions, but you're also wasting valuable product. 

hmfc_liam06

I live about 3 miles from it. It's brutal.

Not only does it sound like a jet engine, there's a ploom of black shit all over the place, cars etc covered.

Can only imagine what it's doing to the environment.

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I live about 3 miles from it. It's brutal.

Not only does it sound like a jet engine, there's a ploom of black shit all over the place, cars etc covered.

Can only imagine what it's doing to the environment.

Can only imagine what it’s doing to people’s health.

jamtartan74

I’m in Livingston and when I finished my backshift i seen the sky glowing orange and was convinced there was a fire in Houston industrial estate so went and had a look on the flyover between Ladywell and craigshill and could see the flame in the sky, still didn’t have a clue where or what it was until I seen on stv news the she story about it, I’m 30 mile away from that and can see it ffs. Took a short vid but not sure if I can post it or not but will try. 

Some clown ran into the back of my car on Lower Granton Road because he was too busy watching the flare a number of years back.