Complimenting

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Watching Manchester City last night, great teams have players who not only work very hard but they compliment one another, how they play, where they play, where they want the ball.

Now I realise we are talking about one of the best teams in the world, but all things relative, we play in a low ranked league, so it's easier to win or dominate games, there should be more time and mistakes do not get punished so savagely.

We seem to be the complete opposite, regarding blending together. This is not to say we don't have good players, we do, some very good ones, the centre backs, Sean Clare is a very technical player, he gets accused of hiding, the reality Sean Clare needs at least one other player of his skill level around him, he is lost among the power of Djoum and Haring. Of course we have Steven Naismith, he knows how to tie players together, hence why we don't only miss his skill, but his intelligence, so very badly.

With all due respect to Berra, Haring and Ikpeazu, they are to quote Steve Clarke "lumps". Good players, but they don't really compliment the ball players, Clare, Souttar, Mulraney, Naismith even MacLean.

Our mix is wrong. We are neither nor. Heard the word identity mentioned this week, we really aren't sure what ours is. Do big players work in our league? To a degree.

If Craig Levein wants to progress Hearts, he needs to find players that compliment one another, ours seem to be at cross purposes.

I am in no way blaming Sean Clare, I think he is a very good player. But I don't think its any coincidence, since we have brought him in to the team, added to the fact Naismith has been missing, this is when it went very wrong. Clare is basically a misfit, a skilful ball player in amongst power play. Naismith could certainly help, another ball player, but one with a voice.

Almost every game since November we have been playing with a team that has not gelled.

Other than the away game at Ibrox we have been positive in the amount of attacking players we have on the pitch. That's not really an opinion that's just true.

Style of play has been criticised, for me it's all down to the football being fragmented.

That was Part A and the main issue for me.

Part B is secondary and rather sad. The skipper has been very poor and does not compliment his younger partner. Souttars distribution has got worse, but they cant use Berra, so its not surprising. Talk of Souttar leaving may be premature.

If the manager has grown a set, he will start with Souttar and Halkett next season, they will compliment one another.

Other things affecting this are of course injury but also balance. All season, I have felt we have been lop sided. Some weeks looking to play everything centre to right to begin with and now its centre to left.

Couple that with the fragmented midfield, the poor distribution from the back, the injury to the superstar player, we have a real lack of quality in the end product.

Fultons Right Leg

Jim Jefferies. Now there's a man who knew how to find players that complimented each other.

(that wasn't a dig at Levein BTW)

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, Fultons Right Leg said:

Jim Jefferies. Now there's a man who knew how to find players that complimented each other.

Jim was brilliant in the transfer market until the smg money 

9 minutes ago, Fultons Right Leg said:

Yeah

Fitroy Simpson complemented Gordon Petric perfectly

They were both shit.

Nookie Bear

Really good OP.

Dunno what the answer is, but a good read :thumb:

Clare doesn;t work hard enough for me and seems to be reactive, rather than proactive. I think he may be more effective further forward on the right of a front 3 (and i would have Uche on the left of that 3, with AN Other in the middle). But that's the kind of thinking that explains why i am sitting here, and not managing ^_^

Alex Kintner

I think it’s more about adding genuine quality to the “lumps”. In 05/06 we had the genuine quality of Skacel, Hartley, Janny, Fyssas and Bruno to add to the lumpy Neilson, Pressley, Webster and Brellier.

If new contracts are completed we’ll have a solid spine of “lumps” in Berra, Halkett, Haring, Smith and Uche and a few bits of quality in Naisy and Clare. It’s clear where the gaps are and Levein has thankfully said he is aware of it.

Personally I would make Milinkovic number one target. He showed in his spell last season he has fantastic creativity and pace but also the workrate and physicality to deal with Scottish football.

Edited by To Be Frank

36 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Watching Manchester City last night, great teams have players who not only work very hard but they compliment one another, how they play, where they play, where they want the ball.

Now I realise we are talking about one of the best teams in the world, but all things relative, we play in a low ranked league, so it's easier to win or dominate games, there should be more time and mistakes do not get punished so savagely.

We seem to be the complete opposite, regarding blending together. This is not to say we don't have good players, we do, some very good ones, the centre backs, Sean Clare is a very technical player, he gets accused of hiding, the reality Sean Clare needs at least one other player of his skill level around him, he is lost among the power of Djoum and Haring. Of course we have Steven Naismith, he knows how to tie players together, hence why we don't only miss his skill, but his intelligence, so very badly.

With all due respect to Berra, Haring and Ikpeazu, they are to quote Steve Clarke "lumps". Good players, but they don't really compliment the ball players, Clare, Souttar, Mulraney, Naismith even MacLean.

Our mix is wrong. We are neither nor. Heard the word identity mentioned this week, we really aren't sure what ours is. Do big players work in our league? To a degree.

If Craig Levein wants to progress Hearts, he needs to find players that compliment one another, ours seem to be at cross purposes.

I am in no way blaming Sean Clare, I think he is a very good player. But I don't think its any coincidence, since we have brought him in to the team, added to the fact Naismith has been missing, this is when it went very wrong. Clare is basically a misfit, a skilful ball player in amongst power play. Naismith could certainly help, another ball player, but one with a voice.

Almost every game since November we have been playing with a team that has not gelled.

Other than the away game at Ibrox we have been positive in the amount of attacking players we have on the pitch. That's not really an opinion that's just true.

Style of play has been criticised, for me it's all down to the football being fragmented.

Part B is secondary and rather sad. The skipper has been very poor and does not compliment his younger partner. Souttars distribution has got worse, but they cant use Berra, so its not surprising. Talk of Souttar leaving may be premature.

If the manager has grown a set, he will start with Souttar and Halkett next season, they will compliment one another.

Other things affecting this are of course injury but also balance. All season, I have felt we have been lop sided. Some weeks looking to play everything centre to right to begin with and now its centre to left.

Couple that with the fragmented midfield, the poor distribution from the back, the injury to the superstar player, we have a real lack of quality in the end product.

Excellent post,

Im not saying i disagree about Clare, I think he is a very good player but he hasn't been given time in a settled position yet and i think that why he appears disjointed and what some might say is lazy. Im overseas so dont see every game and the movement off the ball. As is always said i think we will see the best of Clare next year.

As for Berra, imo he came back too soon from injury, this has been to his and the teams detriment, he does well in the air as the stats have shown but i think his pace mobility have been restricted since he came back.

This season is done with exception of the cup final, we need to reserve our best team for that.

Absolute Scenes
20 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I think it’s more about adding genuine quality to the “lumps”. In 05/06 we had the genuine quality of Skacel, Hartley, Janny, Fyssas and Bruno to add to the lumpy Neilson, Pressley, Webster and Brellier.

If new contracts are completed we’ll have a solid spine of “lumps” in Berra, Halkett, Haring, Smith and Uche and a few bits of quality in Naisy and Clare. It’s clear where the gaps are and Levein has thankfully said he is aware of it.

Personally I would make Milinkovic number one target. He showed in his spell last season he has fantastic creativity and pace but also the workrate and physicality to deal with Scottish football.

Was just thinking Milinkovic would be a great signing.

Yes he left on not so great terms but hopefully he's been royally humbled for money grabbing, and realises that he had it good at hearts.

Just the type of player we need now I think

Clare and Naismith have a wee bit swagger about them but OP is bang on the blend isn’t right. We lack leaders on the pitch without Naismith and we need more dig, more pace and a bit more aggression.

Frustrating thing is we are capable of the high press we just don’t do it

Phil Dunphy

I’d strip Berra of the captaincy first. He’s not a leader. 

His head is one of the first to go down when things are going against us. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

If anything we need the players to be harder on each other not complimenting each other and backslapping too much, especially on social media.

Agree we need a balance in the team and for them to complement one another

::troll::

sorry, couldn't resist. Agree with OP

35 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

They were both shit.

Ok Jeff wasted some money when he finally got money to spend but the likes of Weir, Fulton, Flogel, Cameron

McCann, Adam, Neimi Pressley, ect were fabulous signings.

Hackney Hearts
10 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

If anything we need the players to be harder on each other not complimenting each other and backslapping too much, especially on social media.

sorry, couldn't resist. 

I was wondering how long it would be!

Would be good if the players complemented each other and the fans complimented the players.

(I know some fans find this very hard when things aren't going right, but I've never understood how people think it's likely to improve players by undermining their confidence with constant abuse)

Edited by Hackney Hearts

Robbo-Jambo
14 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’d strip Berra of the captaincy first. He’s not a leader. 

His head is one of the first to go down when things are going against us. 

Who would get the armband then. The obvious choice would be Naismith but if he doesn't stay or has issues with his fitness it's hard to pick a leader in the players we have

We could do with more players like Pressley and Hartley who had drive and were winners and hated the taste of defeat. 

58 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Fragmented, not balanced yes you could go on and on. A management who can’t organise a team to play to it’s 

strengths that too often plays like a team that can’t do themselves justice. Remember Levein has brought in 

many players that he wanted so this is HIS team. Can Ann Budge and her Board not understand Hearts FC are 

going backwards due to a management team that are out of their depth. Now leaving everything that is going 

on off the pitch I believe the main reason for the team raising their game at Tynecastle is our fans when they 

get some encouragement on the odd occasion we play well. Ann Budge must know how the fans feel yet all 

is quiet regarding our poor season with only one light at the end of the season being the Scottish Cup Final.

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Who would get the armband then. The obvious choice would be Naismith but if he doesn't stay or has issues with his fitness it's hard to pick a leader in the players we have

We could do with more players like Pressley and Hartley who had drive and were winners and hated the taste of defeat. 

I don’t think there’s anyone in the current side who has the drive and the desire to be a captain, beyond Naismith. 

It should be a priority in the summer. 

My hope is that we're building a spine just now with Berra, Souttar, Haring, Naismith, in the mould of what CL did in his first spell with Gordon, Pressley, Neilson and Hartley and with a couple of choice additions in the summer we should see the benefits of this, much as Burley did when he came in.

Only time will tell. Got a cup to win first!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Apologies to all for the Grammatical error

Complement and compliment (together with related words such as complementary and complimentary) are frequently confused. They are pronounced in the same way but have quite different meanings: as a verb complement means ‘add to something in a way that enhances or improves’

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I don’t think there’s anyone in the current side who has the drive and the desire to be a captain, beyond Naismith. 

It should be a priority in the summer. 

We don't agree on displays, but I think we agree on the captain. I feel treacherous mentioning it, but he has been alarming at times this season. His confidence has gone, his head is down, which makes it hard for him to motivate others around him with gravitas or even self respect.

He Who Cannot Be Named
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Which Smith are you referring to as a lump? Not Michael surely?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

I'm thinking the Players over coached then? 

Not sure. Related to that, perhaps the tactics are unsuitable. He has mentioned this morning cloudy heads over positioning.

Perhaps we are making things too complicated for the level of player we have, which could be described as over coaching.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

Halkett is not really a lump either. He seems to be fairly mobile. My definition of a lump is a strong player who is not very mobile. Takes a bit of time to get velocity. Berra, Haring and Ikpeazu would be the 3 for me.

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

We don't agree on displays, but I think we agree on the captain. I feel treacherous mentioning it, but he has been alarming at times this season. His confidence has gone, his head is down, which makes it hard for him to motivate others around him with gravitas or even self respect.

I feel bad for him, because you know he’s one of us. But football’s a ruthless game and sometimes you need to make decisions that you don’t wanna make. 

He’s been great for Soapys development, but I think it’s best to give the armband to someone else for a bit. 

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

Not so much a lump, more a consistent 7/10 player every week who complements more creative players.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

They were both shit.

I’ll see your Petric and I’ll raise you a Rousett, Adam, Cameron, Flogel, McCann, Weir, Bruno, Salvatore, Niemi.........

Midloth_Iain
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Halkett is not really a lump either. He seems to be fairly mobile. My definition of a lump is a strong player who is not very mobile. Takes a bit of time to get velocity. Berra, Haring and Ikpeazu would be the 3 for me.

Haring is not the quickest but is technically good, creates space other players cant find, keeps it simple, positionally usually very good (making up for his lack of pace).

Listen to Roy Keane, Graeme Souness.  

They say the same thing. You have to do the “hard yards”, whether you’re a technical player or bog standard. 

I know this thread is about blending of the team , but before that , this team needs to set a standard of workrate and tenacity to make the greater parts work. 

I think there’s too much to go into though. There’s too many problems surfaced this season 

At the beginning of the season it looked like we had found these players, now it looks like they have never trained with each other before. 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

They were both shit.

As was David Winnie

Very good post and points.

I feel to add to the above our lack of movement when in control of the ball is frightening.

There was a move v rangers in 1st half where berra passed to burns who went down the wing to mulraney.    During the whole period of play the midfield 3 moved up the pitch very slowly in a perfect triangle 10yards away from each other.  No movement to the ball, no run forward, none of them showing for the ball.   It happens numerous times during games.    

When cochrane came on, he looked rusty on the ball but continually ran deep or forward to show for it, thats what we need more from players like bozniac and lee.

Haring and naismith make a huge difference moving for the ball but we have far too many static players that think play will happen without making it happen.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
42 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

Haring is not the quickest but is technically good, creates space other players cant find, keeps it simple, positionally usually very good (making up for his lack of pace).

Totally agree 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Listen to Roy Keane, Graeme Souness.  

They say the same thing. You have to do the “hard yards”, whether you’re a technical player or bog standard. 

I know this thread is about blending of the team , but before that , this team needs to set a standard of workrate and tenacity to make the greater parts work. 

I think there’s too much to go into though. There’s too many problems surfaced this season 

Absolutely. Passive and we are hopeless. I mentioned City work ethic. 

Wayne Rooney is a good example of a very talented player who worked as much as he had ability 

Bazzas right boot

Fair op. 

Players that compliment each other and also fit into our style of play. 

Back to my post on the Wighton thread, I think you get a more disjointed performance with players being flung into the squad too soon. 

We have too many project type players playing and this effects the team. 

In Scotland, although quality is at a premuim it must be possible to construct an efficient, effect side quote easily. 

16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Absolutely. Passive and we are hopeless. I mentioned City work ethic. 

Wayne Rooney is a good example of a very talented player who worked as much as he had ability 

Come on! We cannot say we are good at complimenting with that attitude :curtain:

Good OP , and agree with OLLB on his point re project type players, to an extent, we have to try them out In a 1st team situation at some point, it's just a shame that some get on players backs before they have a chance to grow into the position.

This Hearts team totally compliments and will not have another word said tot he contrary.  We always compliment the opposition on how well they play.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

They were both shit.

Petric's missed sitter v Stuttgart still makes me seethe to this day. :seethe:

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Strange that you left Djoum -the best ball player out of your analysis.

I think it's also about pass and move.   City players are always on the move making space to receive passes and then moving again once they have made a pass.  It all seems very simple when you analyse it but very few teams do it as well as City who are an image of how Barcelona used to play (or still do to an extent).  When we were winning earlier in season we seemed so much more mobile.  The 3-0 win at Dundee (probably our last great performance) epitomised what can be achieved when teams pass and move.  We have become very static in recent months.  Not just Hearts, I see it in a lot of live games.  On Sunday Man U stood still while Everton ran around them.  I think City can play this way regardless of who's in their starting line up because it's a method, style of play, an attitude.  Yes it's brilliant when players truly compliment each other but any decent team should be able to adopt a pass and move style.  It amazes me how static a lot of team are at all levels.  

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I feel bad for him, because you know he’s one of us. But football’s a ruthless game and sometimes you need to make decisions that you don’t wanna make. 

He’s been great for Soapys development, but I think it’s best to give the armband to someone else for a bit. 

Could the answer be as straightforward as shifting it to Soapy though? I know you've already said Naismith should he stay or someone else outwith the current squad but to play devil's advocate and assume either of those might not happen, could do worse than appointing Souttar the captaincy

Fultons Right Leg
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

They were both shit.

We all went a bit mental when the SMG money came in. Before that thought he was different class.

Phil Dunphy
45 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Could the answer be as straightforward as shifting it to Soapy though? I know you've already said Naismith should he stay or someone else outwith the current squad but to play devil's advocate and assume either of those might not happen, could do worse than appointing Souttar the captaincy

Soapy, as a player, is still developing. While I’ve no doubt his talent will take him right to the top, I don’t think we’d be doing him any favours by adding the responsibility onto his plate. 

I think a captain should be someone a bit talismanic and senior. Someone who’s been around a long time and has that winning mentality. Roy Keane was a great captain, if a limited footballer, because of his constant hunger to do better. He never let anyone’s standards drop and that’s the kind of thing we should be looking at when picking a captain. 

Someone who's not afraid to tell his team mates how it is. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Apologies to all for the Grammatical error

Complement and compliment (together with related words such as complementary and complimentary) are frequently confused. They are pronounced in the same way but have quite different meanings: as a verb complement means ‘add to something in a way that enhances or improves’

I would be happy with players that complement each other to the degree of creating and scoring more goals.  If they do that, they can compliment each other all day long  (or until the ref books one of them).

iwasthere1954
2 hours ago, Elshin said:

Very good post and points.

I feel to add to the above our lack of movement when in control of the ball is frightening.

There was a move v rangers in 1st half where berra passed to burns who went down the wing to mulraney.    During the whole period of play the midfield 3 moved up the pitch very slowly in a perfect triangle 10yards away from each other.  No movement to the ball, no run forward, none of them showing for the ball.   It happens numerous times during games.    

When cochrane came on, he looked rusty on the ball but continually ran deep or forward to show for it, thats what we need more from players like bozniac and lee.

Haring and naismith make a huge difference moving for the ball but we have far too many static players that think play will happen without making it happen.

Good points. How do the coaching staff not see this?

Craig Levein is very limited in his abilities. He can do the basics to an average standard of management, but beyond that he really does struggle. Hearts as a football club are at a crucial time in their history, and we have to grasp this opportunity now. Too much time and money has been wasted since we gained promotion at the first time of asking. Yes we are moving in right general direction, but we're doing it way too slowly considering the resources we have at our disposal. A forward thinking and up and coming manager would get much much more out of this current group of players, and that is why it's vital that Levein moves on as soon as.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Strange that you left Djoum -the best ball player out of your analysis.

I did think about Djoum, but felt I had already gone on too long.

My opinion on Djoum, he is much better further up the pitch doing the pressing. He is wasted sometimes, whether that's him or where he is told to play I am not sure.

Tactically - defensively - Djoum and Haring are usually very astute with their positioning, but neither are really dynamic enough from that deep to make a difference. Play Djoum further forward and defences don't get a minutes peace.

The 2 Scottish Cup games at home under Neilson are great examples, pressed the life out of Aberdeen and then Hibs, 2nd half against Hibs we sit and then suffer. Why I reckon Djoum was shite away from Tynecastle he became passive, cracking player pressing forward.

I don't think we play him in the right area, glad you brought him up. The area he should play in is generally populated by Sean Clare.

Kind of gets me back to what I want to say, your best 11 players don't make your best team if they don't fit, firmly believe that is a big part of our problems.

Scotland have that issue with the left backs, and some of the midfielders, we feel we have to play the best players, even if it means them not necessarily playing in their strongest area, or with players who complement their ability

Edited by Sir Gio

The simple answer to all of this is Naismith is the glue that holds the team together....without him it’s a disjointed hope for the best effort!