Avengers:Endgame

Norm

It's a bit sad sackish and I'll be wrecked for work tomorrow but anyone else off to the midnight showing tonight? 10 years, 20 films, some poor, some good. They're not everyone's cup of tea but I grew up reading Marvel comics and the whole MCU is probably my go to for a comfort movie if I'm feeling sick. Kind of like Star Wars and the Indiana Jones films when I was wee. 

The whole project of building an interconnected movie universe on this scale has been pretty ambitious and impressive. Arguably unparalleled. I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap up all the loose ends, I expect Stark and Cap to die, possibly Hawkeye and War Machine too. 

I know there'll be a bunch of "kid's movie" comments and, yeah, maybe it is a bit sad a 40 year old man is genuinely excited about watching it but **** it, looking forward to seeing Ant Man explode in Thanos' ass. 

Actually, that doesn't sound like a kids movie at all..... 

I'll be waiting until Sunday. Loved the whole project and have been to see everyone. 

Doubt we will we see it's like again. To have this Game of Thrones/breaking these past ten years has been delightful. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Who'd have thought Thor would drink Innis and Gunn and Irn Bru? He's clearly a superhero with great taste. 

Edited by Normthebarman

tokyowalnut

Friends of mine went to cineworld to watch the double header last night. The projector in their screen wouldnt work for the movie and they were all asked to leave! Offered either a free ticket, or if you had an unlimited card, a discounted hot dog or popcorn ? they were absolutely raging, the heating was also on full blast as it broken! 

Say What Again

You think that's sad? I'm considering going to watch it by myself (not at midnight).

My mate option is going tomorrow for his birthday night out with his missus, and my missus isn't intrested enough to sit through 3+ hours of it.

Phil Dunphy

7 minutes ago, Say What Again said:

You think that's sad? I'm considering going to watch it by myself (not at midnight).

My mate option is going tomorrow for his birthday night out with his missus, and my missus isn't intrested enough to sit through 3+ hours of it.

I made my missus sit through Infinity War last year because she had no interest in any of it. Was a “if you see this with me, I’ll see something with you” kinda deal. 

She’s now more excited for us to see Endgame tonight than I am. Watched through the universe twice now and we’re rushing home from work to watch Infinity War before we head out tonight. 

Is it suitable for a 7 year old?

My lad love infinity war but worried he won't sit through this or it isn't suitable. 

25 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

My lad love infinity war but worried he won't sit through this or it isn't suitable. 

Depending on your 7 year ol, yeah, it's suitable. Nothing too complicated to follow, nothing too terrifying. I'll be honest though, while it was a good way to wrap up the 20 movies, they could've ramped up the octane just a smidge. It's not a slow film by any means but I wanted the last installment to be 100 mile an hour from start to finish. Sometimes it drops to 60.

Edited by Normthebarman

2 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Depending on your 7 year ol, yeah, it's suitable. Nothing too complicated to follow, nothing too terrifying. I'll be honest though, while it was a good way to wrap up the 20 movies, they could've ramped up the octane just a smidge. It's not a slow film by any means but I wanted the last installment to be 100 mile an hour from start to finish. Sometimes it drops to 60.

Felt the film was slow at times and took a while to get into the action but did have some funny jokes in it.

My son is 8 and is going to see it on Saturday. My worry is he will be bored at parts of it.

Good film but not as good as Infinity war.

6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Watched it this morning. Content wise it's fine, even if I broke down a bit near the end (no spoilers) . Length might be a deal breaker but it wasn't an awful lot longer than infinity war if I'm not mistaken 

5 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

I thought the opening sequence of events went in way too fast and was worried they'd paced it all wrong but there ended up being so much content that in the grand scheme of things it was all spot on. 10/10

Captain America

Went to midnight showing last night.

Thought it was excellent. First half was really funny and second half was brilliantly done.

Considering trying to find time to go again over next few weeks. 

tokyowalnut
5 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Watched it this morning. Content wise it's fine, even if I broke down a bit near the end (no spoilers) . Length might be a deal breaker but it wasn't an awful lot longer than infinity war if I'm not mistaken 

Think you said too much here ?

2 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Think you said too much here ?

The film that culminates a series that has spanned 22 entries is bound to have a tear jerker or two. I don't think that's a lot to say

Alex Kintner

Just back from seeing it. Can’t decide whether I thought it was the best of the entire series or one of the poorest. Need to digest it.

8 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Just back from seeing it. Can’t decide whether I thought it was the best of the entire series or one of the poorest. Need to digest it.

This is my thoughts after seeing it last night. I suppose it closes off a few story lines but also opens up even more.

The dude with the wings (cant remember his name), whats he going to get up to? 

Thor, wheres he going?

Hulk?

Captain Fantastic?

Guardians?

Young Spiderman?

Ant Man & the Fly?

Buckie & Nick Fury?

Etc.

Cant see that lot going off quietly into the night.

Say What Again

Google has a cool addition today.

Google 'Thanos', then click on the Infinity Gauntlet to the right...

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Watched it last night, thought it was great. so much going on in it, would love to watch it again but not sure cant fit 3 hours in, might just show up for what is essentially the second act.

Agree it was slow at times but think it had to be, kind of like the first two eps of GoT this season, audience need to have time with characters catching up/meeting for the first time and theres such a huge ensemble that's not easy

Was brilliant. Enjoyed it really want to talk about it so come on get the spoiler tags up already.

been here before

My 8 year old loves all this shite but 3 hours is a bit much for him to sit through.

Anyone heard of anywhere doing a sort of 'bairn friendly' type affair? A break after an hour and a half sort of thing. Ive had a look around and cant see diddly squat.

Carl Fredrickson

My 8 year old son loved it but wouldnt drink his juice as he said he would then need to go to the toilet and would miss some of the film. The Dominion used to have a wee break during long films - might be worth checking there

been here before
38 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My 8 year old son loved it but wouldnt drink his juice as he said he would then need to go to the toilet and would miss some of the film. The Dominion used to have a wee break during long films - might be worth checking there

Ill do that.

?

Dean Winchester

Thought it was brilliant and gave fans a lot of nice little easter eggs.

It has broken the record for biggest opening weekend ever (previously set by Infinity War) and that is with the entire weekend still to be accounted for. Pretty mental numbers. 

Holyrood_Hearts

Thought it was excellent. Sad in places & a couple unexpected deaths I didn’t know was coming. 

On 25/04/2019 at 23:15, To Be Frank said:

I just watched it and feel the same.

My current thoughts are of feeling underwhelmed.

So many questions!

The one that's bugging me most is, where is Gamora? If she's alive, then why couldn't they bring Black Widow back? I suppose that will resolved in guardians 3 and the standalone black widow film possibly.

My main issue is with Thor, they have made him less po-faced over the years but they have also massively diluted his true strength and power. He should have been able to destroy Thanos himself. 

Instead they have made him a bit of comic relief and instead of rebuild g a true Asgard he will now be a comedy sidekick in Guardians 3,which could be fun

15 hours ago, Taffin said:

I just watched it and feel the same.

My current thoughts are of feeling underwhelmed.

So many questions!

The one that's bugging me most is, where is Gamora? If she's alive, then why couldn't they bring Black Widow back? I suppose that will resolved in guardians 3 and the standalone black widow film possibly.

It was 2014 Gamora that's alive. I guess she was a bit confused by the whole Quill thing and made a sneaky getaway. Like you I presume that'll be the subject of guardians 3. 

Some chat that 2018 Gamora and Romanov are trapped in a world inside the soul stone. Maybe that's how they address the BW film, though personally I hope it's a prequal and they leave her sacrifice as it is, which was a fitting ending to her journey. 

God I'm a nerd 

Just now, jamboj said:

It was 2014 Gamora that's alive. I guess she was a bit confused by the whole Quill thing and made a sneaky getaway. Like you I presume that'll be the subject of guardians 3. 

Some chat that 2018 Gamora and Romanov are trapped in a world inside the soul stone. Maybe that's how they address the BW film, though personally I hope it's a prequal and they leave her sacrifice as it is, which was a fitting ending to her journey. 

God I'm a nerd 

Yeh agreed about her sacrifice being a fitting end.

In regards to Gamora, I meant that they now can time travel so why can't they bring for example a 2014 version of BW (or anyone for that matter) into the present day regardless of whether one version of them is dead as they are saying the 2 (or more) versions aren't linked hence why Nebula doesn't kill herself when she kills the 2014 version.

If a 2014 Gamora can exist then anyone can surely. Also the 2014 version of her was on Thanos side when she arrived in the present day so should really have vanished in Iron Man's snap?

Probably over thinking it all but one thing I've liked about Avengers has been the relative consistency and I feel like some of that went out the window in endgame (people being able to hold infinity stones for example)

30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh agreed about her sacrifice being a fitting end.

In regards to Gamora, I meant that they now can time travel so why can't they bring for example a 2014 version of BW (or anyone for that matter) into the present day regardless of whether one version of them is dead as they are saying the 2 (or more) versions aren't linked hence why Nebula doesn't kill herself when she kills the 2014 version.

If a 2014 Gamora can exist then anyone can surely. Also the 2014 version of her was on Thanos side when she arrived in the present day so should really have vanished in Iron Man's snap?

Probably over thinking it all but one thing I've liked about Avengers has been the relative consistency and I feel like some of that went out the window in endgame (people being able to hold infinity stones for example)

Re the bringing people back thing, was there not something in the film about not having enough Pym particles to do lots of jumps, which was why they only had a small number of attempts? I know Cap and Tony went back further to get more, but can't remember just how much they secured. Maybe thats the reason, dunno, need to see it again. 

Like you i've appreciated the relative consistency. Its what annoyed me so much about Ragnarok, it turned Thor into an incompetent joke which was out of kilter with his previous appearances. I know it got good reviews but I hated Ragnarok, worst film of the franchise for me. You're right, the gauntlet was passed around like a football at one point! :)

25 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Re the bringing people back thing, was there not something in the film about not having enough Pym particles to do lots of jumps, which was why they only had a small number of attempts? I know Cap and Tony went back further to get more, but can't remember just how much they secured. Maybe thats the reason, dunno, need to see it again. 

Like you i've appreciated the relative consistency. Its what annoyed me so much about Ragnarok, it turned Thor into an incompetent joke which was out of kilter with his previous appearances. I know it got good reviews but I hated Ragnarok, worst film of the franchise for me. You're right, the gauntlet was passed around like a football at one point! :)

Ah yes, I forgot about the Pym particles!! Good shout.

I really liked Ragnarok as a standalone film but yes it was completely out of sync with anything that had gone before it...though I guess after Dark World they probably felt they had to take it in another direction.

I went to see it with my girlfriend who just accepts everything in a film at face value so good to geek out on here. Cheers ??

It could just be the power stone that can't be held by mortals.........

Also as Tony did the snap it's really him that controlled who went and stayed.....

44 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

It could just be the power stone that can't be held by mortals.........

Also as Tony did the snap it's really him that controlled who went and stayed.....

True, and a good point, though I think it opens up more questions around how he would identify who went and who stayed but to ease my mind I'll go with that solution.

31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

True, and a good point, though I think it opens up more questions around how he would identify who went and who stayed but to ease my mind I'll go with that solution.

And he didn't make anyone's clothes disappear....thats real inner strength.

Power corrupts.....id be truly awful with that power.....like really really awful.

2 hours ago, jamboj said:

God I'm a nerd 

I think the BW film will be a prequal showing her going from assassin to shield agent

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Ah yes, I forgot about the Pym particles!! Good shout.

I really liked Ragnarok as a standalone film but yes it was completely out of sync with anything that had gone before it...though I guess after Dark World they probably felt they had to take it in another direction.

I went to see it with my girlfriend who just accepts everything in a film at face value so good to geek out on here. Cheers ??

With Hank Pym back I assume he could make more Pym particles or there could be a struggle to make anymore antman films

12 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

And he didn't make anyone's clothes disappear....thats real inner strength.

Power corrupts.....id be truly awful with that power.....like really really awful.

I'd be worried I'd just get really petty. Jamboj snaps his fingers and:

Starburst packets disappear and are replaced by opal fruits

Heniz baked bean pizza appear in freezers all over the world

My ****** neighbour turns into one of the shrubs he's so obsessed with

All trace of The Dark Knight Rises is removed from history

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I think the BW film will be a prequal showing her going from assassin to shield agent

As long as it shows plenty of Scarlett, I'll be a happy man

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

I liked the wee nod to Scotland with the bottle of Irn-Bru on Thor's window sill 

And it was a bottle of Innis & Gunn beer that he was drinking in that scene as well.......could it be hints that was shot here?

1 minute ago, moz said:

And it was a bottle of Innis & Gunn beer that he was drinking in that scene as well.......could it be hints that was shot here?

It looked like Scotland the intro to new Asgard and remember in infinity war Waverley and other bits of Edinburgh were used

5 minutes ago, moz said:

Even the Mighty Thor needs the Bru for a hangover 

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

With Hank Pym back I assume he could make more Pym particles or there could be a struggle to make anymore antman films

True. Back to square one for me. Lots of holes on it to my mind but still very enjoyable.

10 minutes ago, jamboj said:

I'd be worried I'd just get really petty. Jamboj snaps his fingers and:

Starburst packets disappear and are replaced by opal fruits

Heniz baked bean pizza appear in freezers all over the world

My ****** neighbour turns into one of the shrubs he's so obsessed with

All trace of The Dark Knight Rises is removed from history

???

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

True. Back to square one for me. Lots of holes on it to my mind but still very enjoyable.

Is it not the case that BW needs to stay where she is, as in that timeline, the stones have been used, so there is no going back.

2014 Gamora is there, because in the timeline she came from, she was never sacrificed for the soul stone.

1 minute ago, Rab87 said:

Is it not the case that BW needs to stay where she is, as in that timeline, the stones have been used, so there is no going back.

2014 Gamora is there, because in the timeline she came from, she was never sacrificed for the soul stone.

But they could go back in time prior to BW being dead and then bring that version to the present day...much in the same way as with Gamora.